• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
RE7 was actual horror and very successful so why is RE8 being that surprising? But yeah there is no way we see Cory's new IP in June.
I mean if you are a horror fan eaaaarly into the generation/late last gen, RE 6 was.... RE6, Dead Space, FEAR, Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill are all going down in flames. Alien Isolation bombs, Evil Within does well enough i guess, Silent Hills is cancelled.

Meanwhile the face of horror is becoming first person POV hide and seek jump scare fests that generate millions in ad revenue for, bordering on alt-right, youtube sinks ...

You could not convince me that RE7 would wound up great, or that we would eventually come to another great AAA Horror era

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Mikami's' protege teaming up with OG Team Silent to work on a Silent Hill reboot would've been one of those cool bits of game Industry lore, especially for nerds like us, but there really wasn't any smoke or fire there. Excited to see where she lands.

Oct 25, 2017
Mikami's' protege teaming up with OG Team Silent to work on a Silent Hill reboot would've been one of those cool bits of game Industry lore, especially for nerds like us, but there really wasn't any smoke or fire there. Excited to see where she lands.

Yeah that dream scenario is dead. Still hope she ends up with Sony, but I won't be following it any more.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I saw on Wikipedia was running with reddit's fake story about Kazuhide Nakazawa and Suguru Murakoshi joined Kojima Productions in 2016.

Suguru Murakoshi joined Tango Gameworks around when we started to get reports from Nikkei about Konami's mistreating of their staff. They also made it hard for ex Konami staff to land on a new job at other companies by not using Konami's name. Unless people like Shinji Mikami recognize the person without Konami's name.

Kazuhide Nakazawa was an adviser of motion capture team on Metal Gear Survive.

There are other Team Silent members that joined Kojima Productions you probably wouldn't know who they are except for Shingo Yuri.

Suguru Murakoshi is very likely to join Japan Studio if Ikumi Nakamura decided to leave Tango Gameworks after her visit at Siren's Exhibition (a month before her departure). Ikumi Nakamura was lead artist on The Evil Within and just additional art on The Evil Within 2. How she become creative director of Ghostwire Tokyo was Mikami's decision. But like she said it's an action adventure game rather than a horror game. That could possibly make her and Murakoshi leave Tango because their passion and interest are with horror games.

Kazuhide Nakazawa and Hiroyuki Owaku are possible onboard this project if Sony and Konami want a Silent Hill project to be great again and appeal to old fans and new fans.

These I would consider as "important key staff" of Team Silent. Murakoshi, Nakazawa and Owaku.

As for Kojima, I don't know why some people are excited for a Kojima written horror game who never played Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake. His storytelling is straight forward filled with cliches and stereotypes like in movies. There has always been this debate on the internet who is better between Kojima and Fukushima on writing. The only way to compare their writing structure is to compare them on separate projects they wrote by themselves.

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake - Hideo Kojima

youtu.be

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (Big Boss Run)

I had no idea what to expect from this game but holy shit, this may be one of the best, if not THE best 8 bit game ever. This game is just really solid all a...

Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel - Tomokazu Fukushima

youtu.be

Metal Gear Solid All Bosses

Final Boss Games All Bosses Metal Gear Solid Game Boy Color All Bosses Metal Gear Solid Bosses ■Cheap Games Key: ►https://goo.gl/AHFprb Donate to Support our...

Summarize:
Fukushima's storytelling engage players more into the story and the personal characters.

Slasher Hawk, Marionette Owl, Pyro Bison are true to MGS1 in terms of names. While MG2SS has impacted the series since MGS2 Sons of Liberty with Kojima's cliches like Fatman (Running Man in MG2SS.. really?), Vamp and Fortune. However, Fukushima hammered down the themes for these characters despite how bland the names are. Same with MGS3.

And it proves why there are people who enjoys MGS trilogy and Ghost Babel more than MGS4, Peace Walker and MGSV Phantom Pain. The latter after trilogy stay true to MG and MG2SS from a writing standpoint. What Kojima has always been focused on the most is to troll players in the game. Death Stranding's writing is not an exception.

Kojima to make a horror game gets people excited because they loved a short playable teaser(?) with Norman Reedus was going to be the star of Silent Hills. That is not Silent Hill. If Kojima makes his own horror game with Epic's funding you can bet he will collaborate with Del Toro. But his writing is still bad to me even if he gets Del Toro and Junji Ito onboard. That's why I'm not excited for a Kojima written horror game and I'm thankful for Silent Hills never happened. Sony can now put more effort into the soft reboot.

Thank you for this breakdown, Henrik!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If Nakamura is at somepoint heading up to the Santa Monica area, I find it really hard to believe that she is heading to any other studio other than Cory Barlog's team.

Especially if what she wants is a growth opportunity. Also just in pure concept Ikumi + Cory is just better use of her talents, IMO. If she goes to Santa Monica to work with Barlog, I can almost guarantee she would be propted up as his second in command, never mind if the game itself turns out to be horror. Meanwhile at the SIE Japan, she would have to share the spotlight with a ton of horror vets, a lot of them with preestablished links to Silent Hill.

As someone else pointed out, there's multiple different studios based in Santa Monica, and I imagine a lot of companies have some presence there just due to the location. It may not even be permanently where she would be based. We really have no idea.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Oh yes. The ending is incredible. The fact that the game just gets better and better the further you progress through it is wonderful in itself, but then it caps it all off with that almighty twist. What a game.

I don't remember it getting better and better, though to be fair I really loved the exploration from the get go.

I do remember the chase sequences getting a bit stale and frustrating as the game progressed, but the rest of the game was so good that it easily made up for them.

And yeah, that ending was absolutely mind blowing. I think it's one of the most impactful plot twists in gaming for me. (I had SH2 spoiled for me, unfortunately.)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I noticed Ito and Toyama both followed Fumito Ueda today (director of Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian/many Japan Studio games). Is Henrik proud of me? I am Sherlock Holmes.

EDIT: And by "I noticed" I mean Twitter was like "yo check this out".

20200525-124929.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
I noticed Ito and Toyama both followed Fumito Ueda today (director of Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian/many Japan Studio games). Is Henrik proud of me? I am Sherlock Holmes.

20200525-124929.jpg
Haha soon enough we will all be Japan Studio experts cause of Henrik

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018

20200525-124929.jpg
Fumito Ueda is probably a fan of Silent Hill because his favorite MGS is MGS2 Sons of Liberty.

3:30
youtu.be

Making of Metal Gear Solid 4 - 20 Years of Metal Gear 2/3

Making of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots20 Years of Metal GearPart 2Subtitles:1. Japanese Translations Only2. Original Subtitles

But yeah, I see Sony is trying to create a renaissance of KCE japan (1996~2004 - before it renamed to Kojima Productions when they assembled a allstar team) and best part of KCET (Silent Hill) at Japan Studio. Quality.

KCE japan was the MGS/ZOE team.
KCET had more teams. Team Silent, Castlevania, Tokimeki Memorial, Gradius, PES (Winning Eleven) are just among many of the teams as they also made games for PS1 you have never heard of before.

All of them located in Yebisu Garden Place, Tokyo. When Konami was all about gaming.

KCE japan was moved to Roppongi Hills (East Midtown) in 2004 and renamed to Kojima Productions. KCET was moved to Roppongi Hills in April 2005 when Konami dissolved Team Silent, decreased Castlevania to handhelds and other IPs were axed except for PES.

Konami Digital Entertainment was born. Dark age was upon fans.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Ueda being involved would sure be interesting, but as much as I like both Silent Hill and Ueda's games, I rather keep them separate for the time being. Just give us a pure Silent Hill experience with the original team for now.

On another note, I really hope we get to revisit one or two areas from the past games. Just imagine how Midwich Elementary School would look like with next generation graphics, for instance...

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Ueda would be involved tbh. He's busy with his new project with Epic and he's really not part of Sony anymore. I can see Ueda being introduced to Ito through Sato now that they're supposedly working together for the Silent Hill reboot.

But yeah, it'd be interesting to see Ueda being involved somehow in the future--either as someone who designs a stage or just giving his critique on the game.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Ueda actually got his start in the horror genre. He was an animator for the criminally underrated Sega Saturn game Enemy Zero.

Deleted member 66837

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Question for you all, if SH reboot is real and the game is at least a B in quality what would you like to happen next for Japan Studio and the SH franchise?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Question for you all, if SH reboot is real and the game is at least a B in quality what would you like to happen next for Japan Studio and the SH franchise?

Like with any franchise that I love, I would want them to then listen to feedback, refine what works, discard what does not, and continue making entries in the series while they still have ideas for it.

If RE could salvage itself from the absolute dumpster fire that was RE5 and 6, then Silent Hill can do the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Ueda being involved would sure be interesting, but as much as I like both Silent Hill and Ueda's games, I rather keep them separate for the time being. Just give us a pure Silent Hill experience with the original team for now.

On another note, I really hope we get to revisit one or two areas from the past games. Just imagine how Midwich Elementary School would look like with next generation graphics, for instance...

Udea had his own game project so I doubt he is involved.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I would like for the devs to continue to stick to its roots and not try to emulate Resident Evil. I know that sounds like a hard sell since horror games do not typically do well, but that's what I would want from Silent Hill. Shattered Memories is my favorite Silent Hill game and you don't have any weapons in that game. I want more Silent Hill games like this. I don't want a Re5/6 type of experience. I know that's where the money is, but that's not Silent Hill. So hopefully they can keep the costs down on this Silent Hill reboot. A AAA horror game will struggle to turn a profit, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
I would like for the devs to continue to stick to its roots and not try to emulate Resident Evil. I know that sounds like a hard sell since horror games do not typically do well, but that's what I would want from Silent Hill. Shattered Memories is my favorite Silent Hill game and you don't have any weapons in that game. I want more Silent Hill games like this. I don't want a Re5/6 type of experience. I know that's where the money is, but that's not Silent Hill. So hopefully they can keep the costs down on this Silent Hill reboot. A AAA horror game will struggle to turn a profit, I think.

I'm not buying a Silent Hill with no weapons. I hate those types of horror games. There is HUGE space in between no weapons and RE5/RE6. Even RE has backed away from that.I

Supposedly it has a modest budget, but still bigger than what Japan Studio and Toyama have previously gotten for any project. If it is was a new IP or Siren the budget would have been lower.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm not buying a Silent Hill with no weapons. I hate those types of horror games.
That's fine. I know a lot of people are like that. But if we load up the character with weapons like a Resident Evil game, that's not Silent Hill. Again, I know that's where the money is to be found with these horror games (more action focused), but I don't want that. I'd be happy with something akin to Alien Isolation where you do have weapons, but you need to use them as a last resort. I don't need rocket launchers and roundhouse kicks in Silent Hill.

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. I know a lot of people are like that. But if we load up the character with weapons like a Resident Evil game, that's not Silent Hill. Again, I know that's where the money is to be found with these horror games (more action focused), but I don't want that. I'd be happy with something akin to Alien Isolation where you do have weapons, but you need to use them as a last resort. I don't need rocket launchers and roundhouse kicks in Silent Hill.

How about you just have weapons like a typical Silent Hill game? Pistols, shotguns, pipes, swords, limited ammo. I see no reason to massively deviate from that. You fight in Silent Hill, you have big boss fights. Seems like you want something other than Silent Hill. There are plenty of hide and seek horror games out there.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
How about you just have weapons like a typical Silent Hill game? Pistols, shotguns, pipes, swords, limited ammo. I see no reason to massively deviate from that. You fight in Silent Hill, you have big boss fights. Seems like you want something other than Silent Hill.
Typical Silent Hill. No rocket launches, roundhouse kicks, etc. It's not Resident Evil. That's my point you should come away with.

Oct 25, 2017
Typical Silent Hill. No rocket launches, roundhouse kicks, etc. It's not Resident Evil. That's my point you should come away with.

Your point seems out of place because no one suggested any of that crap would be in the game. And you have no reason to believe it would be in the game. Toyama has made numerous horror games and none of them played like that.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Your point seems out of place because no one suggested any of that carp would the game. And you have no reason to believe it would be in the game. Toyama has made numerous horror games and none of them played like that.
No, it doesn't. Can you list the successful horror games? I got Resident Evil....and that's it.

Alien Isolation bombed
Evil Within did not do well and the series is likely dead
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

Horror games don't do well. Resident Evil is the exception and that leans much more toward action. If Sony is trying to make a successful horror game they may try to go that route....which I don't want. Which isn't Silent Hill.

If it exists we should hopefully see something of it in the next month and we'll know what route it's going. I'm just thinking about what I want from Silent Hill. No roundhouse kicks.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it doesn't. Can you list the successful horror games? I got Resident Evil....and that's it.

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

Horror games don't do well. Resident Evil is the exception and that leans much more toward action. If Sony is trying to make a successful horror game they may try to go that route....which I don't want. Which isn't Silent Hill.

If it exists we should hopefully see something of it in the next month and we'll know what route it's going. I'm just thinking about what I want from Silent Hill. No roundhouse kicks.

When is last time you played a RE game? RE7 and the two remakes have no roundhouse kicks. You keep talking about mechanics that haven't been used since 2012 and are clearly not needed for a successful horror game. No weapons or rockets and suplexes? I'm done.

Deleted member 66837

Banned
Apr 24, 2020

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

I understand your point, but it's not really true. RE3 was more action based yes but RE7 wasn't and that sold amazingly. An already established franchise like SH doesn't need to be changed dramatically to get buys so it'll maintain its core

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

Considering your favorite game in the franchise is Shattered Memories, which is radically different from any Silent Hill before and after, not sure you know what is and isn't Silent Hill either ;)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I understand your point, but it's not really true. RE3 was more action based yes but RE7 wasn't and that sold amazingly. An already established franchise like SH doesn't need to be changed dramatically to get buys so it'll maintain its core

RE7 is very action based. And it also is part of the Resident Evil IP, meaning that it will automatically sell a lot.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

There's no way a Silent Hill reboot backed by Sony with amazing ass next-gen graphics doesn't generate huge buzz. And they're not going to do a Silent Hill reboot with all-out action. Especially with Toyama, etc on board. It'll have combat (no SH fan wants another Shattered Memories), but honestly, you're worrying about nothing. If there's any horror IP out there that can perform well with a quality team behind it that isn't called Resident Evil, it's this one. It's the second-biggest name in the genre and people are thirsty as shit for it after Silent Hills/PT.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't know about that, I think RE7 is a little more action based than just in the last third. I mean, it's not that far into the game when you're having a chainsaw fight lol. I think if anything, it kind of slows down in the back half

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

Sony in the past always gave devs a lot of freedom and not always did those games need to sell gangbusters to satisfy a quota. and so there is no reason to believe they would force a certain formula on silent hill just so it will sell well from a marketing point of view. Sony knows the power of a good original IP that is beloved by many and how to treat it with respect and to get goodwill from Playstation fans. ruining silent hill to make it sell well is def not on their agenda.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Alien Isolation bombed
Dead Space is dead
Fatal Frame is dead.

most "niche" genres that we got back in the PS2 days when budgets weren't too high. It was kind of the sweet spot back then with lower budgets but still impressive graphics.

The ballooning of budgets, the consolidation of the industry into few major publishers and big developers, and the "go big or go home" business mantra in the games industry have meant that a lot of non-AAA genres have disappeared with only the biggest one remaining that still has ties to mainstream AAA genres (such as Resident Evil)

Silent Hill is the second biggest horror IP in gaming next to Resident Evil. Sony backing it as an exclusive basically means it will have a huge marketing blowout and word of mouth, I could imagine.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony in the past always gave devs a lot of freedom and not always did those games need to sell gangbusters to satisfy a quota. and so there is no reason to believe they would force a certain formula on silent hill just so it will sell well from a marketing point of view. Sony knows the power of a good original IP that is beloved by many and how to treat it with respect and to get goodwill from Playstation fans. ruining silent hill to make it sell well is def not on their agenda.
If Sony's helping I'm day oneing to support more of this. I haven't even played previous entries.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, I think RE7 is a little more action based than just in the last third. I mean, it's not that far into the game when you're having a chainsaw fight lol. I think if anything, it kind of slows down in the back half

Well yeah the boss fights are very much so action, but not the general moment to moment gameplay. Absolutely nothing like RE5 or RE6.

If Sony's helping I'm day oneing to support more of this. I haven't even played previous entries.

Sony isn't just helping. Japan Studio is making the game.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
Every time I see this thread float to the top my chest clenches itself in both terror and excitement.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wonder how much our brains and hearts would've exploded in case this hadn't leaked and the reveal trailer would have dropped like a bomb during the PS5 event.
Yeah, I've thought about that a lot. I'm happy to know, but if I had no idea it would've easily been one of the most mindblowing reveals of all time for me. Plus the wait for the conference would've been 100 times easier.

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
After TLOU2 State of Play, i really hope they will announce next week/s another State of Play for PS5 games. #SH

Sid Shuman reiterates it's not about PS5 in these announcements. Quote:

"And just to be clear — there won't be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a big, beautiful look at Sucker Punch's PS4 open-world epic. "

"And no, there won't be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a deep dive into the world of The Last of Us Part II."

Will there be in the next episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.