• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Just to lay my cards on the table as I know its confusing.

1. Something I know 100% was two years ago, during summer of 2018, Konami was shopping around for two Silent Hill projects. Approached different studios to do this, two people at two different studios, one a long time friend and one who just emailed me both said the same things, neither got the job. One was to be a reboot, the other an episodic type game is what they were interested in.

2. Now the last 100% thing, in late 2019 I heard pretty reliably that a Silent Hill game had started development in very early 2019, it was being made in Japan and Masahiro Ito was attached. These last two points before anything else I know to be 100% true.

3. In early 2020 I decided to stir the pot a bit and mention the 2018 thing I knew about, as it was a year and a half old and to see what happens. Eurogamer mentioned something about Kojima and Konami's relationship improving, which reflected something I had been hearing about in the grapevine for a few months, and I decided to do my own personal asking around and investigating into all of this, out of personal interest and curiosity.

4. A lot of dead ends, though I did learn about some other things, one which actively disproved early on the "Sony buying Konami IPs" rumor, but it's something I swore not to share. However, there were more people in the Japan game scene who seemed to know of the new Silent Hill game, but very little about it. So at this point I pretty much know there's a Silent Hill game being Japanese developed since 2019 started, but not much else.

5. Katharsis here posted the thing on Era, Transistor already vetted them but I decided to ask personally to compare some things as had been investigating. Katharsis knows someone who would know about this, everything they shared added up with things I had heard, had proof of their identity, as well as some specific details on the how and why this came about.

I haven't heard anything about the recent reveals, but my side of it laid pretty bare if curious.
So when did you arrive at Sony being the Japanese Dev at the helm, also the Toyama involvement? If you don't mind me asking

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So when did you arrive at Sony being the Japanese Dev at the helm, also the Toyama involvement? If you don't mind me asking
Katharsis and mine's talk, before that point all I had gotten was it was Japanese developed and Ito's attachment, and it starting dev in early 2019, but there was planning in late 2018.

ROBYER1

Apr 22, 2020
I haven't heard anything about the recent reveals, but my side of it laid pretty bare if curious.

Thankyou for clarifying this, did you investigate any of the rumours of Kojima talking to Konami about a Silent Hills with Sony as a median? There has been a lot of discussion of that in this thread but I am lost as to what is fan speculation and what has slipped out of industry people in the know, if anything.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

1. Something I know 100% was two years ago, during summer of 2018, Konami was shopping around for two Silent Hill projects. Approached different studios to do this, two people at two different studios, one a long time friend and one who just emailed me both said the same things, neither got the job. One was to be a reboot, the other an episodic type game is what they were interested in.

2. Now the last 100% thing, in late 2019 I heard pretty reliably that a Silent Hill game had started development in very early 2019, it was being made in Japan and Masahiro Ito was attached. These last two points before anything else I know to be 100% true.

3. In early 2020 I decided to stir the pot a bit and mention the 2018 thing I knew about, as it was a year and a half old and to see what happens. Eurogamer mentioned something about Kojima and Konami's relationship improving, which reflected something I had been hearing about in the grapevine for a few months, and I decided to do my own personal asking around and investigating into all of this, out of personal interest and curiosity.

4. A lot of dead ends, though I did learn about some other things, one which actively disproved early on the "Sony buying Konami IPs" rumor, but it's something I swore not to share. However, there were more people in the Japan game scene who seemed to know of the new Silent Hill game, but very little about it. So at this point I pretty much know there's a Silent Hill game being Japanese developed since 2019 started, but not much else.

5. Katharsis here posted the thing on Era, Transistor already vetted them but I decided to ask personally to compare some things as had been investigating. Katharsis knows someone who would know about this, everything they shared added up with things I had heard, had proof of their identity, as well as some specific details on the how and why this came about.

So, it sounds like, to me, if we are granting that the Silent Hill reboot rumor is true, at some point it probably all got mixed up with this idea that Konami wanted two Silent Hill games, and then rumors of allegedly Konami and Kojima having some kind of talks.

I can see how someone could take that and twist it into 'Silent Hill reboot and Silent Hills with Kojima OMG!'

Honestly, that makes sense. If this reboot rumor is true, I imagine that's probably what happened down the line

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Thankyou for clarifying this, did you investigate any of the rumours of Kojima talking to Konami about a Silent Hills with Sony as a median? There has been a lot of discussion of that in this thread but I am lost as to what is fan speculation and what has slipped out of industry people in the know, if anything.
So, it sounds like, to me, if we are granting that the Silent Hill reboot rumor is true, at some point it probably all got mixed up with this idea that Konami wanted two Silent Hill games, and then rumors of allegedly Konami and Kojima having some kind of talks.

I can see how someone could take that and twist it into 'Silent Hill reboot and Silent Hills with Kojima OMG!'

Honestly, that makes sense. If this reboot rumor is true, I imagine that's probably what happened down the line
Let me clarify something, if Katharsis is telling the truth, which I believe they are, the Kojima thing is not a misunderstanding. Unfortunately explaining deeper runs the risk of spoiling identities and yadda-yadda, but know if everything is true, then Japan Studios is working on a Silent Hill soft reboot with some previous Team Silent members, Toyama directing, they tried to get a second project off the ground with Kojima to actually do Silent Hills but its looking like it won't happen. And if all true there'd be no miscommunication here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Let me clarify something, if Katharsis is telling the truth, which I believe they are, the Kojima thing is not a misunderstanding. Unfortunately explaining deeper runs the risk of spoiling identities and yadda-yadda, but know if everything is true, then Japan Studios is working on a Silent Hill soft reboot with some previous Team Silent members, Toyama directing, they tried to get a second project off the ground with Kojima to actually do Silent Hills but its looking like it won't happen. And if all true there'd be no miscommunication here.

Okay, well, that doesn't really clarify anything lol since you basically just said the Kojima thing was based on alleged meetings a minute ago, which made perfect sense how a bogus rumor was spread with actual information, but now are totally backtracking on that and saying no, it's all real except honestly can't say anything to expose identities and what have. So back to where we started, which is fine.

I'm just going back to hoping the reboot rumor is true and thinking the Kojima//Silent Hills thing was probably bunk since it makes zero sense and no one seems able to provide any counter

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, well, that doesn't really clarify anything lol since you basically just said the Kojima thing was based on alleged meetings a minute ago, which made perfect sense how a bogus rumor was spread with actual information, but now are totally backtracking on that and saying no, it's all real except honestly can't say anything to expose identities and what have. So back to where we started, which is fine.

I'm just going back to hoping the reboot rumor is true and thinking the Kojima//Silent Hills thing was probably bunk since it makes zero sense and no one seems able to provide any counter
I think you might be mixing wires here as I'm confused what you're referencing.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about that episodic thing Konami supposedly wanted. Fuck all that tbh. Bad vibes all around.
Funny thing, I actually have consisered (and this is PURE speculation on my part, nothing official) that maybe the soft reboot may be episodic. That would actually explain why it might be revealed pretty soon, and Toyama and the team have directed an episodic horror game before (Siren: Blood Curse).

Sep 14, 2018
Let me clarify something, if Katharsis is telling the truth, which I believe they are, the Kojima thing is not a misunderstanding. Unfortunately explaining deeper runs the risk of spoiling identities and yadda-yadda, but know if everything is true, then Japan Studios is working on a Silent Hill soft reboot with some previous Team Silent members, Toyama directing.
Sounds like it's pretty much confirmed then(by you and KT). Did you think it was strange when Konami made a statement that the rumors were false? Why did they not just not comment?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think you might be mixing wires here as I'm confused what you're referencing.

Look at number 3 and 4. You basically say there were rumors out there that Kojima and Konami were medding fences, but it ultimately comes to a dead end. A Silent Hill game actually is in development in 2019 with Sony Japan. Then you say rumors start emerging, specifically the rumor of the reboot of SH, Silent Hills revival and all the other weird IP stuff. It makes a lot of sense that someone would see a SH reboot with Konami/Sony included, and then bring in a fictional Silent Hills revival. What you lay out here makes all the pieces come together kind of perfectly. An actual thing got tangled up with a fan dream or something and a reboot of Silent Hill and some Konami/Kojima meeting that may not have even really happened becomes 'Silent Hill reboot and Silent Hills revival.'

But then in your next post, you invalidate this entirely by saying the Kojima/Silent Hills stuff actually did happen for sure and wasn't just misinformation. So, which is it? Were there alleged Konami/Kojima meetings that lead to "dead ends," or did those talks definitely happen? You can't have it both ways

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's pretty much confirmed then(by you and KT). Did you think it was strange when Konami made a statement that the rumors were false? Why did they not just not comment?

Not really, Konami have directly lied in PR before and the attitude of this in Eastern companiea is different (or Western branches of Eastern companies). Being a RE nerd, I remember after RE2 came out Capcom talking like RE3 REmake wasn't a thing.

Look at number 3 and 4. You basically say there were rumors out there that Kojima and Konami were medding fences, but it ultimately comes to a dead end. A Silent Hill game actually is in development in 2019 with Sony Japan. Then you say rumors start emerging, specifically the rumor of the reboot of SH, Silent Hills revival and all the other weird IP stuff. It makes a lot of sense that someone would see a SH reboot with Konami/Sony included, and then bring in a fictional Silent Hills revival. What you lay out here makes all the pieces come together kind of perfectly. An actual thing got tangled up with a fan dream or something and a reboot of Silent Hill and some Konami/Kojima meeting that may not have even really happened becomes 'Silent Hill reboot and Silent Hills revival.'

But then in your next post, you invalidate this entirely by saying the Kojima/Silent Hills stuff actually did happen for sure and wasn't just misinformation. So, which is it? Were there alleged Konami/Kojima meetings that lead to "dead ends," or did those talks definitely happen? You can't have it both ways

You're missing a piece here but its not your fault. If all true, the Silent Hill soft reboot by Japan Studios started dev in late 2018/early 2019. This has nothing to do with Kojima or Silent Hills. In late 2019/early 2020 there was an effort to make Silent Hills a thing again with Kojima, but it looks like things won't work out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have not read this thread at all, but I'm curious. Is there a big chance that this rumor is true?

There are two insiders who are discussing the rumor pretty openly, so take that as you will.

As with everything in gaming rumors, though, don't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Getting yourself hyped up over internet rumors rarely ends well.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I have not read this thread at all, but I'm curious. Is there a big chance that this rumor is true?
Depends if you believe rumours in general? Two people claim to know people who told them things. There's no proof or any way to check, though they are seemingly unrelated people hearing similar things so take that as you will.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You're missing a piece here but its not your fault. If all true, the Silent Hill soft reboot by Japan Studios started dev in late 2018/early 2019. This has nothing to do with Kojima or Silent Hills. In late 2019/early 2020 there was an effort to make Silent Hills a thing again with Kojima, but it looks like things won't work out.

Okay, well, like I said, that doesn't clear up anything. We basically still have one rumor of a reboot that is 'verified' and most are assuming is true and makes some degree of sense considering everyone involved, and then another rumor which makes zero logical sense when you think about it at all, but apparently no one can actually say how they know about it because it would expose sources and identities and all that. Okay, you know, fair enough I guess. But I just was saying that more in response in to any of this 'clarifying' anything lol, it just begins us back to status quo of where everyone already was at.

If you actually want to clarify something, then let me ask this about the Silent Hills stuff. Apparently, no one can say how they came about this information, but when we talk about this, are we actually talking about there was actual moves, as in there was actual resources in the process of being moved, for this revival or are we just talking about that at some point in time some representatives from Sony/Konami/Kojima just kind of talked about it for a brief period and then moved on?

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there way to play the OG SH games on PC without emulation? I'd like to check the series out from the beginning.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Rely On Horror tried to dig up more info so they asked a US PR rep directly and they just denied it iirc.
It's not like konami saw the rumors online and reacted for damage control,at least that's how i see it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a good game, Japan Studio has yet to make a good AAA game.

Not even Shadow of the Colossus?

why is this thread still alive if konami straight up said its not happening?

Why would Konami confirm the existence of an unannounced game in a PR statement though? These games cost tens of millions of dollars and have a long and thorough marketing cycle planned out months or even years ahead of time.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Funny thing, I actually have consisered (and this is PURE speculation on my part, nothing official) that maybe the soft reboot may be episodic. That would actually explain why it might be revealed pretty soon, and Toyama and the team have directed an episodic horror game before (Siren: Blood Curse).

Interesting- as making Silent Hill an episodic 'Twilight Zone' style production was something entertained by producer Imamura back after SH2's production ended.
Not sure if Imamura is still with Konami, Kojima Productions, or where (Henrik?), but that would be really cool if his original (at the time 'radical') brainchild of an episodic Silent Hill became a reality AND he got a chance to do work again on the series.

If done right that could be really cool.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is there way to play the OG SH games on PC without emulation? I'd like to check the series out from the beginning.

Sadly, the only ways would be:

SH1
-PS1, PS2, or PS3 + physical disc
-PS3 + digital Playstation Classics download

I was disappointed it wasn't on the PS1 Classic (which, to my understanding, can be found pretty cheaply now).

SH2 and SH3
-PS2 + discs
-Windows versions
-PS3/360 + HD Collection disc *vomits* or digital
-Xbox1 BC + disc (I think?)

SH4
-PS2/XBox + disc
-Windows version
-PS3 + Japanese PSN account

Oct 25, 2017
SH2, 3 and 4 all have PC ports. 2 and 3 have varying degrees of mods to modernize, with SH2 having an extensive overhaul available to make it the best possible version of the game. SH4's port is a huge mess, but still playable enough as far as I know?

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Emulation is your only choice for SH1 on PC. It runs well, though.

For SH2 and 3, there are PC versions that can be turned from ass to good/great with mods.

SH4's PC version is kinda busted even with mods, I think. If you lock it to 30fps it might be OK, but is still missing a little bit of content. I'm playing it with PCSX2 right now and it runs perfectly.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

For SH2 and 3, there are PC versions that can be turned from ass to good/great with mods.

SH4's PC version is kinda busted even with mods, I think. If you lock it to 30fps it might be OK, but is still missing a little bit of content. I'm playing it with PCSX2 right now and it runs perfectly.
SH2, 3 and 4 all have PC ports. 2 and 3 have varying degrees of mods to modernize, with SH2 having an extensive overhaul available to make it the best possible version of the game. SH4's port is a huge mess, but still playable enough as far as I know?

Can the PC ports run naturally on most computers still? I figured they wouldn't be able to run on like Windows 10 and stuff without mods at this point.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can the PC ports run naturally on most computers still? I figured they wouldn't be able to run on like Windows 10 and stuff without mods at this point.
SH3 might, but with issues. SH2 I don't think runs naturally. And even with other mods, that game was still a massive pain in the ass to get running flawlessly before the Enhanced Edition came along. In my experience at least. Years ago I got it running properly after trying for days, except the options on the start screen were invisible.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
SH3 might, but with issues. SH2 I don't think runs naturally. And even with mods, that game was still a massive pain in the ass to get running flawlessly before the Enhanced Edition came along. In my experience at least.

Yeah, that's what I figured and why I didn't mention those to that guy lol. I figure if he doesn't want to mess with emulation, he probably doesn't want to download a lot of patch and fan mods to get one of the disc releases running lol

Oct 25, 2017

SH3 runs nearly flawlessly outside of the general port issues. SH2 is broken in more ways, but it was always like that. The patching process is relatively painless, and you don't even need to do the re-rendered fmvs and the like if you really don't want to.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019

I just loaded the widescreen hack for the emulated version of SH4, and it looks gorgeous. Definitely better than the PC port which is all kinds of broken.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Enhanced Edition for SH2 is surprisingly easy to install. Just takes a little while as there are some big files. I already have my own install uploaded online though, which I'd be happy to provide to anyone who really doesn't want to bother going through the process. I've sent it to some friends and they just downloaded it and played right away. But I might replace it in the morning (it's late here) as there's an update for the EE now, plus I should probably remove my saves from the upload.

Fuck knows if I'll get banned or whatever for saying this, but considering the game's pretty much abandonware now I'll take my chances. Come at me, mods.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017

Where would I find PC versions? Steam only has Homecoming.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I honestly don't know why Konami hasn't taken those PC copies of SH2&3 floating around and slapped them up on steam for 10 bucks a pop. They'd be making a mint for barely any work. Even the base, unmodded versions of the games still work better than Homecoming (which practically requires modding to run).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I honestly don't know why Konami hasn't taken those PC copies of SH2&3 floating around and slapped them up on steam for 10 bucks a pop. They'd be making a mint for barely any work. Even the base, unmodded versions of the games still work better than Homecoming (which practically requires modding to run).

Konami is up there with Atlus for like truly baffling for how they let their backlog rot. Both companies have a wealth of titles they could port over to various systems with minimal effort. At least Konami is doing okay-ish with their older titles like Castlevania and Contra, more than Atlus can say, I guess.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

I haven't yet played the Siren series but this seems like it would be a really weird decision on their part if what you're speculating ends up being true. An episodic format that drip-feeds new chunks of content over time would kind of run counter to speculation that Sony is wanting this game to be a system seller for the PS5. Episodic formats just aren't that popular enough with players to justify it.

It also seems like a format that would be really incompatible with Silent Hill as a franchise. Imagine Silent Hill 2 ending at the hospital elevator sequence with Maria and a large 'to be continued' text appearing on screen. Dunno, treating the franchise like a Netflix series would feel really out of place.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I refuse to believe this is a thing that is real, it sounds like fanfic. And even if it is real there has to be some bullshit under the surface like it being a multiplayer game or something.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

You don't say

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I refuse to believe this is a thing that is real, it sounds like fanfic. And even if it is real there has to be some bullshit under the surface like it being a multiplayer game or something.

Depending on what we're talking about? Well, the Silent Hills revival is...yeah, I can't argue with that. It does feel and sound like pure fanfiction lol, and everyone saying it was going to happen at one point apparently can't give any key information as not to 'expose' sources or whatever, so yeah lol.

But you know, the SH reboot idea isn't as far fetched as it seems on the surface. Is it improbable...sure. But you think about it like this. You have Sony Japan that really needs a hit, a key member of Team Silent back in the day, and a franchise that was pretty popular in the day and has a lot of 'prestige,' and is of a genre that Sony has zero presence in. I mean, yeah, it's a stretch, but you can see those elements kind of gelling together if you also accept the idea that Konami had some desire to continue the franchise. It's one of those things that you think couldn't happen, but when you break down each individual part with the right time, right place, it's not...totally out there. It's at least more realistic than the Silent Hills stuff.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_inline_p6onq2bc0Z1r9vxyz_540.gif

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, I don't really know what episodic would matter if it still has the same talents everyone was excited about before lol

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I haven't yet played the Siren series but this seems like it would be a really weird decision on their part if what you're speculating ends up being true. An episodic format that drip-feeds new chunks of content over time would kind of run counter to speculation that Sony is wanting this game to be a system seller for the PS5. Episodic formats just aren't that popular enough with players to justify it.

It also seems like a format that would be really incompatible with Silent Hill as a franchise. Imagine Silent Hill 2 ending at the hospital elevator sequence with Maria and a large 'to be continued' text appearing on screen. Dunno, treating the franchise like a Netflix series would feel really out of place.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be true.
He's just speculating. I really can't see them doing that at all, despite Siren.

Better not, anyway.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting- as making Silent Hill an episodic 'Twilight Zone' style production was something entertained by producer Imamura back after SH2's production ended.
Not sure if Imamura is still with Konami, Kojima Productions, or where (Henrik?), but that would be really cool if his original (at the time 'radical') brainchild of an episodic Silent Hill became a reality AND he got a chance to do work again on the series.

If done right that could be really cool.
Imamura has disappeared after Silent Hill 4. He might even had left the gaming industry like what happened to Hasebe (The Legend of Dragoon creator). It's not uncommon for game developers to leave the gaming industry in Japan.

However, Hiroyuki Owaku is still in the gaming industry which is most important. Both Fukushima and Owaku needs in the AAA space in the script unit. There has never been better writers who have hooked me instantly on the story. Just to take Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for GBC for example. Despite graphics and the limitation of 8-bit hardware I find Fukushima's writing top-notch. Memorable characters, good background story and a good ending.

And to stay on Kojima topic, Takashi Mizutani was the cinematic director of MGS, MGS2, ZOE2 and even MGS3 before he left Konami in 2004. One thing to point out is Mizutani was part of the setting research team for MGS2 until he was kicked out by Kojima. The document of MGS2 shows Mizutani with the setting research team in May 1999. Masaya Kobayashi took the credits for his job on MGS3 due to Konami's policies of taking out names from the credits when staff leave the company before the game has released.

And with MGS4 to Phantom Pain Kojima took over as cinematic director. His ego made Mizutani leave Kojima Productions in 2004 especially if he was kicked out from setting research team. To Mizutani's defense, MGS4 was average compared to the trilogy.

The first Silent Hill hooked me but Owaku took it to a whole other level with Silent Hill 2. It shows clearly in Toyama's games at Japan Studio he needs better writers. Naoko Sato is decent but Hiroyuki Owaku is better on many levels.

I don't think Silent Hill needs Imamura today. With Owaku alone there is potential already.

Fanfic narrative bs as always. Never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.