• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The vetted evidence only comes from one source, just for sake of clarity.

If the information we have is correct, it will pretty much be made almost entirely by Sony, Konami is basically just licensing out the IP to them. But, of course, if this is true that may not be accurate since it's unclear to what level this insider information is and how much they actually know about the actual behind the scenes development. But as of now, it's understood it's going to be a Japan Studios production.

Guess you'd also have to assume that 'one' source also got to RelyOnHorror and DuskGolem (both of which have talked about this in different capacities at different times)?

I mean, Dusk has been talking about Konami talking to major publishers about potentially "working on multiple SH projects" even before Katharsis started going into details, if I recall correctly.

I'm just curious as hell what kind of proof Transistor saw that made him go to bat so visibly here. We'll likely never know, as I assume it could reveal Katharsis' identify for anyone really looking. Still... it rattles around in my mind, haha.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Guess you'd also have to assume that 'one' source also got to RelyOnHorror and DuskGolem (both of which have talked about this in different capacities at different times)?

I mean, Dusk has been talking about Konami talking to major publishers about potentially "working on multiple SH projects" even before Katharsis started going into details, if I recall correctly.

I'm just curious as hell what kind of proof Transistor saw that made him go to bat so visibly here. We'll likely never know, as I assume it could reveal Katharsis' identify for anyone really looking. Still... it rattles around in my mind, haha.

All I was saying is that, as far as verified information, there's only one source that's been 'vetted' here. Yeah, there's been other sources saying stuff, but just thought that needed to be a little clearer because that's the only thing that's been verified by mods unless I missed something. I know Dusk is seen as infallible here by many, but his info wasn't verified and he himself said he wasn't 100% sure on it (I mean, he said it in his weird, needlessly wordy way, but still lol).

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If the information we have is correct, it will pretty much be made almost entirely by Sony, Konami is basically just licensing out the IP to them. But, of course, if this is true that may not be accurate since it's unclear to what level this insider information is and how much they actually know about the actual behind the scenes development. But as of now, it's understood it's going to be a Japan Studios production.
Interesting. Can you imagine if Sony puts Kojima at the helm of this project? This forum would probably implode.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Interesting. Can you imagine if Sony puts Kojima at the helm of this project? This forum would probably implode.

Well, part of the initial rumor was also that Sony wanted to revive Silent Hills with Kojima Productions at the helm and that was part of this broader...collaboration I guess you'd call it, but the general consensus seems to be that part of the rumor was probably bunk. But yeah, a Kojima led SH project would cause some meltdowns, on several different scales.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
And for further clarification, is this the Team Gravity/Project Siren team within Japan Studios doing this?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
All I was saying is that, as far as verified information, there's only one source that's been 'vetted' here. Yeah, there's been other sources saying stuff, but just thought that needed to be a little clearer because that's the only thing that's been verified by mods unless I missed something. I know Dusk is seen as infallible here by many, but his info wasn't verified and he himself said he wasn't 100% sure on it (I mean, he said it in his weird, needlessly wordy way, but still lol).

Completely get what you are saying- and allow me to say I appreciate your measured skepticism throughout this thread. It's absolutely the right way to go about all of this. Personally, I'm way too emotionally invested in this being 'real' that objectivity for me right now is nearly impossible, lol.

I just fear this will be, if you'll excuse a tired analogy, like the missing fishing boat we're waiting to come back to port. In a few weeks? Perhaps it was just delayed. In a few months? You never know what's happening out there. In a few years? Damnit, I know it's still coming!
It's a vicious, destructive cycle. 😭

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
So I was looking at some Silent Hill games on eBay, going back to maybe get some titles I no longer have and SH prices are kind of wild. Don't know if that's a recent thing or not, but one thing that jumps out is how some versions are like way higher than others. Like SH4 on PS2 is generally pretty expensive, some going for over $100, but Xbox versions are all like $20-30. Origins on PSP is pretty cheap, but the PS2 version is kind of high. And Shattered Memories is super easy to find on Wii for sub-$30, the PSP version is a tad more expensive, but the PS2 version must be super rare or something, because those are going for upwards of $200+.
that's because the PS2 versions of Origins and SM were ports and Konami likely didnt see much point in printing a lot of units so they're slightly rarer than the original platform releases.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
And for further clarification, is this the Team Gravity/Project Siren team within Japan Studios doing this?

I believe so, yeah. Along with some other original Team Silent members.

that's because the PS2 versions of Origins and SM were ports and Konami likely didnt see much point in printing a lot of units so they're slightly rarer than the original platform releases.

Oh yeah, of course, that makes sense. Guess I was more shocked at how expensive they are now. Especially Shattered Memories.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I believe so, yeah. Along with some other original Team Silent members.

Oh yeah, of course, that makes sense. Guess I was more shocked at how expensive they are now. Especially Shattered Memories.
Plus, Origins and SM PS2 released a couple years after the PS3 launch when PS2 wasn't much of a focus anymore.

I don't know about the Xbox ports of 2&4, but if I had to guess I'd say people probably want to play them on the platform they were designed for, or something like that.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, part of the initial rumor was also that Sony wanted to revive Silent Hills with Kojima Productions at the helm and that was part of this broader...collaboration I guess you'd call it, but the general consensus seems to be that part of the rumor was probably bunk. But yeah, a Kojima led SH project would cause some meltdowns, on several different scales.
I see. Thanks for the input.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Konami and Kojima negociating about collaborating on Silent Hills was true. I just don't think the deal was done but it was kinda the project at some time.

I talked about it at the same time I talked about Silent Hill reboot with the former team on board.

The pure bullshit was Sony buying all the Konami IP's.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Why would they think that? lol
Sorry don't want to click on Reddit.

Cause all I said was Silent Hills is back

teZQu9k.jpg

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Konami and Kojima negociating about collaborating on Silent Hills was true. I just don't think the deal was done but it was kinda the project at some time.

I talked about it at the same time I talked about Silent Hill reboot with the former team on board.

Why do you think Silent Hills isn't happening, though? If Konami and Kojima are in talks, surely it can go either way. If they've made it to the negotiating table surely both sides WANT to do it, it's just a matter of settling on terms I suppose. I feel like it's 50/50 it can happen or not.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Why do you think Silent Hills isn't happening, though? If Konami and Kojima are in talks, surely it can go either way. If they've made it to the negotiating table surely both sides WANT to do it, it's just a matter of settling on terms I suppose. I feel like it's 50/50 it can happen or not.
Because, like I also said previously, some other propositions came on the table.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I have a hunch, bluepoint's game is not Demons Souls remake, it is Silent Hill 2 Remake with the original directors/producers supervising.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
how did you manage to complete the bag issue in hard mode? when PH chases you and Maria.

Not sure what you mean by bag issue, but RadioHeadAche is right, at a couple points you just turn around and empty a clip of handgun ammo into PH and he slows right down. It trivializes that pursuit. Only thing you have to watch out for is Maria getting in the way if you shooting.
I never want to touch the 10-star challenge for this game again. I hate that damn boat
The boat took me a couple practice tries, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. To be perfectly honest, I didn't find the 10 star run that hard. I put it off for years, I never really was sure if I'd ever attempt it, but you know the game like the back of your hand by the time you have to attempt it so it wasn't bad at all. I got the 10 Stars on my first attempt, here are my stats from the run:
qYQLfCf.jpg

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Well, I will just say I have my doubts even if you end up being correct about this SH reboot. The whole Silent Hills things makes little sense no matter the angle you look at it from. I won't doubt that maybe you have some kind of information that says it was a thing, but unless you have direct knowledge yourself of these talks (as you as a person were present during them in the flesh), I am going to remain a skeptic on that for reasons I have outlined before. I guess I can believe made some very basic talks happened, like a sort of 'hey, if we're doing this, what about this?' but I just don't believe it was ever really a full fleshed out idea.

EDIT: And I just noticed you said Konami and Kojima negotiating, not Konami and Sony, which to me makes the whole thing even make less sense.

I have a hunch, bluepoint's game is not Demons Souls remake, it is Silent Hill 2 Remake with the original directors/producers supervising.

I think Jason hinted heavily at it being Demon's Souls, so it's most likely that.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

- Toyama had nothing to do with SH2.
- Owaku, the writer of SH2, is not part of this project, it seems like
- Everyone and their mother talks about Bluepoint's game being a Demons Souls remake
- Silent Hill 2 cannot be replicated or done justice to. Just re-release the old version digitally on consoles and PC.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: And I just noticed you said Konami and Kojima negotiating, not Konami and Sony, which to me makes the whole thing even make less sense.

Why? Konami is the IP holder. What if Kojima did have interest in reviving Silent Hills. It wouldn't be Sony going to Konami, it would be Kojima since it was originally his project.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Well, I will just say I have my doubts even if you end up being correct about this SH reboot. The whole Silent Hills things makes little sense no matter the angle you look at it from. I won't doubt that maybe you have some kind of information that says it was a thing, but unless you have direct knowledge yourself of these talks (as you as a person were present during them in the flesh), I am going to remain a skeptic on that for reasons I have outlined before. I guess I can believe made some very basic talks happened, like a sort of 'hey, if we're doing this, what about this?' but I just don't believe it was ever really a full fleshed out idea.

I think Jason hinted heavily at it being Demon's Souls, so it's most likely that.
Sony was involved in the process, sorry for not mentioning it.

(Well, I did a few months ago)

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Sony was involved in the process, sorry.

Okay, that I thought was part of the rumor before.

Why? Konami is the IP holder. What if Kojima did have interest in reviving Silent Hills. It wouldn't be Sony going to Konami, it would be Kojima since it was originally his project.

Konami and Kojima parted on very tense terms. The idea that either one would reach out to the other in any capacity is very unlikely. The actual rumor is that Sony was reviving Silent Hills as a sort of intermediary between Konami and Kojima, which is the only way I could see that collab happening

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
- Toyama had nothing to do with SH2.
- Owaku, the writer of SH2, is not part of this project, it seems like
- Everyone and their mother talks about Bluepoint's game being a Demons Souls remake
- Silent Hill 2 cannot be replicated or done justice to. Just re-release the old version digitally on consoles and PC.
Shalalayman swerve :)

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Now that we'll most likely get Silent Hills back which is ultra hype...when are we getting Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll still be okay with just giving the PC releases their time to shine anew and be legally purchasable on modern code for all the children to enjoy.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I know KatharsisT and Dusk Golem have different sources.

Now that we'll most likely get Silent Hills back which is ultra hype...when are we getting Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2?

If Konami is actually going to start being full-time awesome again, I vote for Suikoden VI and Shadow of Destiny/Memories 2!

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If Konami is actually going to start being full-time awesome again, I vote for Suikoden VI and Shadow of Destiny/Memories 2!

Cheers to that!
Really good, underrated PS2 game- and made that spring '01 PS2 game drought more bearable.
The only knock against it was that the US version didn't have the SH2 trailer on the disk like the JP version did. That was actually the main reason I got the game, lol... but that disappointment subsided the moment I dug into the actual game. Good times!

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what's the best way to play Siren? The original PS2 game, Blood Curse on PS3 or Blood Curse on PSNow?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'll still be okay with just giving the PC releases their time to shine anew and be legally purchasable on modern code for all the children to enjoy.

yes please

otherwise they'll be lost to time, like tears in the rain

imagine if The Ring or Alien couldn't be found any more except for exorbitant prices on ebay, this is how it is for Silent Hill 2, the greatest horror game of all time

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what's the best way to play Siren? The original PS2 game, Blood Curse on PS3 or Blood Curse on PSNow?
The PS2 original. Easily. Blood Curse is less janky and clearer in its mission objectives (aka incredibly linear) but the cast/plot isn't as good as the original game (they basically axe most of the original Asian characters and make them an American film crew now... yay... and also take two characters and transform them into a single one. Again not a move I'm a fan of).
The PS2 version though is janky, remember that. Its tough to get into as its not particularly forgiving until you get the hang of the game. Once it clicks, its excellent. Though in order to get the real ending you need to do all the B objectives in the stages, and that involves the infamous timed sniper challenge, which is about as fun as it sounds! But even with all of its eccentricities, I'd still pick the original over the demake.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 game and Blood Curse are quite different games. TBH I'd go with Blood Curse, system doesn't matter.
Do you want cockney accents In a janky VHS wrapper? PS2
Nice, so they're different enough where it won't feel redundant. Gonna play both as well as the first two Silent Hill games. Should be a scary, fun time.
The PS2 original. Easily. Blood Curse is less janky and clearer in its mission objectives (aka incredibly linear) but the cast/plot isn't as good as the original game (they basically axe most of the original Asian characters and make them an American film crew now... yay... and also take two characters and transform them into a single one. Again not a move I'm a fan of).
The PS2 version though is janky, remember that. Its tough to get into as its not particularly forgiving until you get the hang of the game. Once it clicks, its excellent. Though in order to get the real ending you need to do all the B objectives in the stages, and that involves the infamous timed sniper challenge, which is about as fun as it sounds! But even with all of its eccentricities, I'd still pick the original over the demake.
Honestly, if they're that different from each other, that makes me wanna play both even more. Get both perspectives.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Nice, so they're different enough where it won't feel redundant. Gonna play both as well as the first two Silent Hill games. Should be a scary, fun time.

Honestly, if they're that different from each other, that makes me wanna play both even more. Get both perspectives.

Yeah, despite being a 'reimagining,' the two actually differ pretty significantly.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
I never want to touch the 10-star challenge for this game again. I hate that damn boat

What do you mean by "bag issue"? If you meant just completing that sequence, you have to move James slowly to trigger PH's spawning and then shoot him a few times to slow him. Once you do that, you run a bit further and then stop to shoot PH again. Just rinse and repeat until you get close enough that you can keep running safely. Hard mode kind of sucks in SH2, huh?
Not sure what you mean by bag issue, but RadioHeadAche is right, at a couple points you just turn around and empty a clip of handgun ammo into PH and he slows right down. It trivializes that pursuit. Only thing you have to watch out for is Maria getting in the way if you shooting.

The boat took me a couple practice tries, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. To be perfectly honest, I didn't find the 10 star run that hard. I put it off for years, I never really was sure if I'd ever attempt it, but you know the game like the back of your hand by the time you have to attempt it so it wasn't bad at all. I got the 10 Stars on my first attempt, here are my stats from the run:
qYQLfCf.jpg

hmmmmm I thought it was a bag since I watched some YouTubers playing it on hard mode and it was not that big of a deal in the ps2 version.
I think still have the save file in the cloud for the hard mode in that area. I really went through HELL and don't want to waste that lol.

It's not a pain in the ass but when you are with Maria is really hard to keep her alive you know especially with the nurses who hold gun.
I will need to try it again this week.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
hmmmmm I thought it was a bag since I watched some YouTubers playing it on hard mode and it was not that big of a deal in the ps2 version.
I think still have the save file in the cloud for the hard mode in that area. I really went through HELL and don't want to waste that lol.

It's not a pain in the ass but when you are with Maria is really hard to keep her alive you know especially with the nurses who hold gun.
I will need to try it again this week.

Still not sure what you mean by "bag". Also, there are no nurses with guns in SH2, you're thinking of SH3.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers to that!
Really good, underrated PS2 game- and made that spring '01 PS2 game drought more bearable.
The only knock against it was that the US version didn't have the SH2 trailer on the disk like the JP version did. That was actually the main reason I got the game, lol... but that disappointment subsided the moment I dug into the actual game. Good times!

Between Ring of Red, SoD, and ZOE + MGS2 demo, Konami quietly carried early 2001 along with Gran Turismo. Fantastic times indeed.

As I said in a later post, only one of those have information that has been actually verified. There's been several avenues of this rumor, but you said 'vetted information,' so I thought it was best to make that aspect clear.

Gotcha. Fair enough.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Just to lay my cards on the table as I know its confusing.

1. Something I know 100% was two years ago, during summer of 2018, Konami was shopping around for two Silent Hill projects. Approached different studios to do this, two people at two different studios, one a long time friend and one who just emailed me both said the same things, neither got the job. One was to be a reboot, the other an episodic type game is what they were interested in.

2. Now the last 100% thing, in late 2019 I heard pretty reliably that a Silent Hill game had started development in very early 2019, it was being made in Japan and Masahiro Ito was attached. These last two points before anything else I know to be 100% true.

3. In early 2020 I decided to stir the pot a bit and mention the 2018 thing I knew about, as it was a year and a half old and to see what happens. Eurogamer mentioned something about Kojima and Konami's relationship improving, which reflected something I had been hearing about in the grapevine for a few months, and I decided to do my own personal asking around and investigating into all of this, out of personal interest and curiosity.

4. A lot of dead ends, though I did learn about some other things, one which actively disproved early on the "Sony buying Konami IPs" rumor, but it's something I swore not to share. However, there were more people in the Japan game scene who seemed to know of the new Silent Hill game, but very little about it. So at this point I pretty much know there's a Silent Hill game being Japanese developed since 2019 started, but not much else.

5. Katharsis here posted the thing on Era, Transistor already vetted them but I decided to ask personally to compare some things as had been investigating. Katharsis knows someone who would know about this, everything they shared added up with things I had heard, had proof of their identity, as well as some specific details on the how and why this came about.

I haven't heard anything about the recent reveals, but my side of it laid pretty bare if curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.