• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Someone highlighted that: Kojima, very active on twitter, no longer posts tweets on his account. I hope this means this the calm before the sorm and that this will make him ready to reveal Silent Hills alongside Silent Hill.

Apr 27, 2018
Someone highlighted that: Kojima, very active on twitter, no longer posts tweets on his account. I hope this means this the calm before the sorm and that this will make him ready to reveal Silent Hills alongside Silent Hill.
Maybe. I think he's not posting as much because of this virus. He's usually more active that is for sure.
I really hope Silent Hills comes back though.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima would likely be posting things up to a few hours before a reveal, must be the lockdown/virus, seriousness of it all answers why he isn't posting.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
If Silent Hills comes back it should only be with heavy restrictions on Kojima. He needs a fucking editor and someone whose entire job consists of standing in the corner of whatever room he's in to tackle him to the floor the instant he tries to contrive a situation in which another female character ends up mostly-naked.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
A new Silent Hill from the original team would be fantastic.

Kojima doesn't need to make a Silent Hill game, I just want him to make a horror game. Nothing in the PT demo was linked to the franchise apart from the name at the end so I'm not sure why people want him to be part of it all so badly.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
By what you wrote I'm getting the impression you think Silent Hill is Capcom IP? It's Konami. I think they were questioning where Sony would show two horror games in the same show.

lol no.

I'm rather questioning if Capcom would like to follow their support like the PlayStation 4 meeting event, or something like E3 2018 with RE2 with Sony and DMCV with MS.

I guess we shall see, they have reasons to do both.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
9rwcYkPA33GWdn14sAoeUYV1uRIbEnx09z1K9YKJy6s.jpg
That looks like Stephen Platt's early art. Soooo Rob Liefeld-esque 90's silliness.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Would you happen to know if there's a full crew breakdown of both (SH reboot & Kuono's) of these teams?
twitter.com

Jon Webb on Twitter

“Great week visiting the team in Tokyo once again, compete with #hanami! With so much talent and passion for gaming around the world, even more greatness awaits @PlayStation!”

One team ready in hanami period in 2018 and that is Kouno's team.

This was before investors meeting on May 31 in 2018. John Kodera said they plan to franchising successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. Expand first party doesn't mean just new IPs. Before that meeting Sony didn't had a clear plan.

Japan Studio had problems with Iijima's team, Gavin Moore's team and even Toyama's team. New IPs are hard to succeed nowadays and with current track record for the studio Sony can't allow every team to take risk on a larger budget for a new IP after failures. Kouno has earned it because he was very successful in Japan and Europe with the small game he made for PSP. North America didn't care for his game so he wants revenge on that region.

RaySpace has taken very long because it's a very costly project compared to what projects Japan Studio has made before and needs to be done right.

Up until Fall 2018 Sony heard about Konami was shopping around devs for Silent Hill. What I think regarded full crew as of now, RaySpace and Silent Hill are full teams. What is happening with Gavin Moore and Iijima can only speculate. I have heard about new Ape Escape since 2019 because after Knack II they were making a new IP.

Before investors meeting in 2018 Gavin Moore's team worked on his four ideas: "buddy movie, road trip, Kansas and Romania". Zhuge heard in 2018 around Fall 2018 that Japan Studio had canceled some projects. We got a remastered version of Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night by WWS. Only Japan Studio would work on that.

Toyama's team was working on a new muggy horror IP but they were also trying with Siren and none of them worked out for Sony. Hence Toyama's words by wrapping up 2018: "troublesome year" and 2019 was "keyword: comeback!". He mentioned one thing after the other didn't panned out. Everything is backed up by Dusk Golem's info.

So there have been many projects being canceled in 2018. It lines up with investors meeting. Refresh existing IPs. MediaVision hired character designers who can properly draw models of people for an RPG for PS4 (PS5 didn't exist yet, Guerrilla hired for a PS4 project as well that changed later to a PS5 project). And in 2019 we heard from a insider on a new Wild Arms was in development by MediaVision.

What John Kodera meant at that investors meeting they are going to continue to make new IPs even if they want to expand on successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. But it won't just mean new IPs like before. They have existing IPs that deserve a second chance and have potential. Silent Hill is a rare case like with Spiderman.

Continue to make new IPs like RaySpace, what Housemarque had in development at the time, and same with Arrowhead.

Kouno's team is full crew and I assume Silent Hill is very easy to fill up because it's an established IP.

youtu.be

TEXELION

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my playthrough of Shattered Memories as a part of my series replay, and sheesh, it wasn't my favourite when I first played through it, but replaying it just hammered home that fact. Besides the twist at the end, I don't know that the game has any redeeming factors for me. There are pointless characters that are there just to say that they brought them back from the first game (Lisa). Wandering around town was cool as you aim the flashlight I guess, but just knowing you're 100% safe when you're doing this reduces any tension to 0. The ice otherworld is so barren and boring (frankly, every single environment you traverse is way too bland). The chase sequences are obnoxious and not scary in the least. It feels like there's no art direction in this game at all.

I still have Downpour and Homecoming to go through, but I'm fairly certain that I liked both of those way more than Shattered Memories. It's just disappointing that the main thing I liked about the game were the gimmicky things, and nothing about it being a Silent Hill title itself. It surprises me when people hold this game in such high regard, saying it's the best Western developed SH game. Besides the story turn at the end of the game, I don't think it has much going for it.

As of now, having them fresh in my mind, my rankings would go like this:

SH2>SH3=SH1>SH4>Origins>SM

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Shattered Memories and have no plans to ever really, but going through Downpour right now I can say without a doubt that it is the absolute worst horror game I have ever played. The only thing it has going for it is cool ideas. The combat is absolutely atrocious. I know people will say, "Well it's Silent Hill, what do you expect? The combat has always been terrible and Silent Hill isn't about combat anyway". Yes, it's true, Silent Hill was never about the combat. The problem is that nobody seems to have told the game designer. The combat in the first four Silent Hill games was nothing special, but it was SIMPLE. You would select your weapon, press the action button, and then you beat or shoot the monsters until they die. SIMPLE. In Downpour, all of the monsters have attacks that immobilize you and force you to do an awful QTE to break out. All of the weapons, including stuff like crowbars and sledgehammers, disintegrate after a few hits but it doesn't matter because there are always new weapons placed everywhere for you to pick up. The monsters block your attacks and will just wail on you without you being able to do anything other than block and hope that your shit weapon doesn't disintegrate. Also, because of this and the unlimited weapons, the best way to kill enemies is to just stand next to an infinite pile of bricks or pipes and throw them. And finally, the game punishes you for trying to conserve ammo like you would for a traditional survival horror because it keeps taking your guns away.

All of that is just having to do with the combat, one element of the game. Everything else about the game is just as awful. The open-world exploration of the town, I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it doesn't work. I played The Evil Within 2 before going back to Downpour, and all I can say is that The Evil Within 2 kept me invested in exploring its town while Downpour does not. I think it's because everything you do in The Evil Within 2 has a feeling of progression. Like when you kill an enemy, you know they won't respawn and you'll get points or ammo, and there are plenty of useful items to find around the town like herbs and stuff. The sidequest are also good in The Evil Within 2 because, again, completing them has a feeling of progression. You get new weapons and ammo, and they give you additional story information. Some of the sidequest in Downpour don't give you any rewards at all, and those that do feel meaningless. Like the bank vault which gives you ammo and health items, which you most likely use up completing the side quest in the first place. And Downpour's sidequests have literally nothing to do with the story whatsoever. They don't tell you anything about the town or Murphy's character. They're just a bunch of random spooky things happening for no discernible reason. So why should I care about doing them? Even Silent Hill 1 on the PS1 had exploration and sidequests that were executed far more competently. Oh, and I should also mention that the constant reuse of assets is very noticeable, and I'm someone who generally who doesn't look for that kind of thing.

Downpour's attempt at the Otherworld sucks so bad. It's not scary or creepy in the slightest, it's just an annoyance when it happens because you're forced into a stupid chase sequence against a Christmas strobe light, have to navigate through a bunch of Mario obstacle spikes, and dodge stuff on a water slide. Also, there was this one water slide section where if I died the loading time was over a minute long.

The monster designs, HAHAHA.
sh7-juggernaut.png

As for Downpour's story...it had a cool premise. Basically, play out The Fugitive in Silent Hill. That sounds like an awesome idea. And then it's completely wasted on just another shitty rip-off of Silent Hill 2, with characters that make Ethan from Resident Evil 7 sound like Brian Blessed in comparison.

I'm not gonna lie, Downpour is the one game where, every time I play it, I have less respect for the developers. I understand that Vatra Games was an inexperienced studio and they likely did not have a great budget or support from Konami, but that's just the thing. They should have been aware of their limitations rather than trying to attempt something as complex as an open-world, story driven survival horror game that tries to be the next Silent Hill 2 and appeal to mainstream and survival horror audiences. Because if you don't have the experience and support to pull off that kind of thing, than it will just be awful, and Downpour is astonishingly bad in so many respects. It's everything that can go wrong when making a horror game. And I haven't even mentioned the glitches, horrible optimization, and general "beta" feel of the game. Silent Hill: Homecoming is a million times more competent than this, and also has better characters and writing.

There's so much more I could complain about, like the terrible pacing and monsters driving ghost police cars, but I'll end with saying that this ad perfectly sums up Downpour's quality:
7ISi1.jpg

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the love for Shattered Memories either, felt absolutely no reason to finish it. I think people are just starved for Silent Hill content, much like they begrudgingly mention Origins sometimes. It's just totally whatever.

Never played Downpour and I have no intention to. 1-3 are perfect for me, I should really revisit SH4 now that I know what to expect.... Didn't enjoy it much on PS2.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I love Shattered Memories, but I love the walking sim genre which I place the game under (though the genre would only be created a few years after its release).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I never understood the love for Shattered Memories either, felt absolutely no reason to finish it. I think people are just starved for Silent Hill content, much like they begrudgingly mention Origins sometimes. It's just totally whatever.

Never played Downpour and I have no intention to. 1-3 are perfect for me, I should really revisit SH4 now that I know what to expect.... Didn't enjoy it much on PS2.

Shattered Memories came out in 2009, after Homecoming and Origins the years before (2008 and 2007, respectively). There was no Silent Hill shortage as it was basically a yearly franchise, so there was nothing to 'starved for.' Honestly, up until 2012, it was a very steady franchise content wise.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the appreciation that Downpour initially got, and probably likewise Shattered Memories, was at least partly just due to the fact that they tried to be like traditional survival horror games during a time when the genre was seen as dead or dying except for indie games, what with mainstream horror series turning into action games like Resident Evil 5 and 6, Dead Space, and Silent Hill: Homecoming.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

This whole section is one of the most memorable parts in a survival horror game. Everyone was used to the fixed cameras with RE, so walking down that alley and having the camera move in a way that looked like someone/something was watching you was really creepy. Then you get to the end of the alley and the grey children start attacking you when you find that corpse. The whole intro is incredible.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I liked Shattered Memories as a sort of interesting experiment and one-off. I'm not sure if it was a good idea to make it a retelling of the first game and not just its own original story, but it was alright. Definitely would not have wanted the whole series to transition into that, though. Worked well as a random spin-off, I thought.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017

The good thing about Shattered Memories is literally the ending.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I don't think they will go with winter it sounds so generic and unlike Team Silent. According to Akira Yamaoka's interview after Silent Hill 4 they were working on Silent Hill 5 with "fear in daylight". And for their next project after Silent Hill 5 it's going to be the darkest story in the Silent Hill series that continues after Silent Hill 3.

You have to take into consideration that Toyama and his collegues are lovers of 60's and 70's American horror movies that set a atmosphere. They were slow, scary, effect rich and messed up. Old Stephen King movies were a big inspiration for Toyama on Silent Hill. Opened his eyes for horror.

Oct 28, 2017
This whole section is one of the most memorable parts in a survival horror game. Everyone was used to the fixed cameras with RE, so walking down that alley and having the camera move in a way that looked like someone/something was watching you was really creepy. Then you get to the end of the alley and the grey children start attacking you when you find that corpse. The whole intro is incredible.

Very. The beginning hours of the original is some of my favorite moments in video games.

I remember playing the demo in OPM. The diner when the radio starts making noise and soon after the monster flies thru the window.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they will go with winter it sounds so generic and unlike Team Silent. According to Akira Yamaoka's interview after Silent Hill 4 they were working on Silent Hill 5 with "fear in daylight". And for their next project after Silent Hill 5 it's going to be the darkest story in the Silent Hill series that continues after Silent Hill 3.

So the silent hills that came after 4 will now sorta not count? This new one will make it like those never happened? Specifically homecoming and downpour? This will be the true silent hill 5?

That's cool. I loved 3. More of that please.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

You have to take into consideration that Toyama and his collegues are lovers of 60's and 70's American horror movies that set a atmosphere. They were slow, scary, effect rich and messed up. Old Stephen King movies were a big inspiration for Toyama on Silent Hill. Opened his eyes for horror.

Well, you're also talking about stuff from like 20 years ago. All of these guys may have a different mindset now, have different ideas and the like, so I think just expecting them to start everything as if this was 2005 and SH4 had just come out is a bit on the presumptuous side

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Very. The beginning hours of the original is some of my favorite moments in video games.

I remember playing the demo in OPM. The diner when the radio starts making noise and soon after the monster flies thru the window.

Yeah, if this all turns out to be true i'm really excited to see what Toyama will do again. He's open about how he's not a fan of traditional horror, which is why he looked toward Lynch, Jacob's Ladder and the Czech film 'Alice'. He has a very unique take on the genre because of that. And after wrapping up GR2 he's spoken about how interest in getting back into horror. So, he's been itching to get back to the genre.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Jon Webb on Twitter

“Great week visiting the team in Tokyo once again, compete with #hanami! With so much talent and passion for gaming around the world, even more greatness awaits @PlayStation!”

One team ready in hanami period in 2018 and that is Kouno's team.

This was before investors meeting on May 31 in 2018. John Kodera said they plan to franchising successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. Expand first party doesn't mean just new IPs. Before that meeting Sony didn't had a clear plan.

Japan Studio had problems with Iijima's team, Gavin Moore's team and even Toyama's team. New IPs are hard to succeed nowadays and with current track record for the studio Sony can't allow every team to take risk on a larger budget for a new IP after failures. Kouno has earned it because he was very successful in Japan and Europe with the small game he made for PSP. North America didn't care for his game so he wants revenge on that region.

RaySpace has taken very long because it's a very costly project compared to what projects Japan Studio has made before and needs to be done right.

Up until Fall 2018 Sony heard about Konami was shopping around devs for Silent Hill. What I think regarded full crew as of now, RaySpace and Silent Hill are full teams. What is happening with Gavin Moore and Iijima can only speculate. I have heard about new Ape Escape since 2019 because after Knack II they were making a new IP.

Before investors meeting in 2018 Gavin Moore's team worked on his four ideas: "buddy movie, road trip, Kansas and Romania". Zhuge heard in 2018 around Fall 2018 that Japan Studio had canceled some projects. We got a remastered version of Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night by WWS. Only Japan Studio would work on that.

Toyama's team was working on a new muggy horror IP but they were also trying with Siren and none of them worked out for Sony. Hence Toyama's words by wrapping up 2018: "troublesome year" and 2019 was "keyword: comeback!". He mentioned one thing after the other didn't panned out. Everything is backed up by Dusk Golem's info.

So there have been many projects being canceled in 2018. It lines up with investors meeting. Refresh existing IPs. MediaVision hired character designers who can properly draw models of people for an RPG for PS4 (PS5 didn't exist yet, Guerrilla hired for a PS4 project as well that changed later to a PS5 project). And in 2019 we heard from a insider on a new Wild Arms was in development by MediaVision.

What John Kodera meant at that investors meeting they are going to continue to make new IPs even if they want to expand on successful IPs and refresh existing IPs. But it won't just mean new IPs like before. They have existing IPs that deserve a second chance and have potential. Silent Hill is a rare case like with Spiderman.

Continue to make new IPs like RaySpace, what Housemarque had in development at the time, and same with Arrowhead.

Kouno's team is full crew and I assume Silent Hill is very easy to fill up because it's an established IP.

youtu.be

TEXELION

I'm sorry, Wild ARMS?!? Is this true? Where have I been?!

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything is bad in that game, besides the enemy design.
I honestly feel like Homecoming can be enjoyed in a guilty pleasure kind of way. Like yeah, the combat is badly balanced and lacks all depth for an action game, but it can be kind of fun in a mindless button masher way. The story also reaches an entertaining b-movie quality at times and the game has some genuinely good sections like the Otherworld Shepherd's house. Alex also isn't too bad of protagonist. Like, I'm definitely not saying Homecoming is great, but I would have no qualms about playing it again once in a while. I can't say the same about Origins and Downpour.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Well, you're also talking about stuff from like 20 years ago. All of these guys may have a different mindset now, have different ideas and the like, so I think just expecting them to start everything as if this was 2005 and SH4 had just come out is a bit on the presumptuous side
It's a part of Team Silent's DNA. You can't change it. Even for Siren Blood Curse they tried to go for that formula even if it was set in Japan and was very niche after two games on PS2. Naoko Sato, Isao Takahashi and Keiichiro Toyama (Team Silent members) can't let go of their DNA and even with Gravity Rush 2 Toyama and Sato were very body horror hungry with that last boss.

The first two Siren games were considered independent style according to Naoko Sato. They went for a Hollywood style with Western characters for Siren Blood Curse. Even with Hollywood style they wanted to set an 70's and early 80's movie or TV series feel of the quality rather than focus on higher visuals.

As an creator like Toyama he knows what he likes and want to make.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's a part of Team Silent's DNA. You can't change it. Even for Siren Blood Curse they tried to go for that formula even if it was set in Japan and was very niche after two games on PS2. Naoko Sato, Isao Takahashi and Keiichiro Toyama (Team Silent members) can't let go of their DNA and even with Gravity Rush 2 Toyama and Sato were very body horror hungry with that last boss.

The first two Siren games were considered independent style according to Naoko Sato. They went for a Hollywood style with Western characters for Siren Blood Curse. Even with Hollywood style they wanted to set an 70's and early 80's movie or TV series feel of the quality rather than focus on higher visuals.

As an creator like Toyama he knows what he likes and want to make.

I wasn't talking about the part about Hollywood movies. I mean, yeah, duh, everyone knows that. I meant what you said about the "fear in daylight" and what SH5 would have been, etc. That's all very old information, so we don't really know how much of that is going to inform this game if it exists is what I was saying. They may decide a different direction, may want to make things more to the roots of the first game, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel like Homecoming can be enjoyed in a guilty pleasure kind of way. Like yeah, the combat is badly balanced and lacks all depth for an action game, but it can be kind of fun in a mindless button masher way. The story also reaches an entertaining b-movie quality at times and the game has some genuinely good sections like the Otherworld Shepherd's house. Alex also isn't too bad of protagonist. Like, I'm definitely not saying Homecoming is great, but I would have no qualms about playing it again once in a while. I can't say the same about Origins and Downpour.

Personally I quite like both Origins and Downpour, but I really can't think of anything good to say about Homecoming besides the enemy design. The story was bad, but at least not as bad as it would've been if we got that planned ending where Josh and Alessa would go super sayian and duke it out while flying above Toluca lake. The combat was nothing but annoying, and the game was cheap as fuck on ammo and health to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.