• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If both Toyama and Kojima's games are real, the Silent Hill fan base is going to have the honor of getting to know the POV debate that makes every Resident Evil thread a shit show :)

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
To the talk about a remake or new entry and such, I've heard from pretty much every person who may have knowledge on the title that this is a soft reboot, which as many say lot of the series is anyways but they're going a bit further with it this time. At the moment in development they're thinking of just calling the game, "Silent Hill", it won't have any numbers or anything and be made so it can easily be a person's first entry in the series. It's not a remake and it doesn't erase past games but none of that is important really to this game.

From my understanding it's not a remake of the first game and it's not a complete reboot, more of a re-introduction.
So, kind of like a God of War situation?
If both Toyama and Kojima's games are real, the Silent Hill fan base is going to have the honor of getting to know the POV debate that makes every Resident Evil thread a shit show :)

Ha! Truth. Me? I like both. RE7 is amazing and really the most faithful to the series since the OG RE3, and the REmake games give the perfect twist on the originals

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
So I read the newest Threadmark and........

Did Konami PR just outright lie or is it one of those? "Of course WE aren't making it!" things.....

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
IMO I think Silent Hill, and Ueda's games too, are sort of a seller in that Sony makes games for the sake of making great games, especially as art, even if they are a lost cause commercially. TV networks have always done this, keeping critic darlings around for 3-5 seasons even tho ratings are middling. Think Six Feet Under, The Wire, Breaking Bad initially (first 2 seasons)

So while yes, each individual entry won't necessarily move a bunch of systems, I think the known fact that Sony releases games that cater to niche audiences helps move systems too idk if that makes sense. Kinda like HBO dramas that aren't going to move subs like Game of Thrones.

Sony games that probably don't move lots of units, but together I think they contribute to move units as it makes PS brand seem to have a wealth of unique games: Concrete Genie, Astro Bot, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Medievil, etc.

Yep.
When people discuss sales around here usually it's a very shortsighted vision.
Games that makes a brand stronger, even tho by themselves they don't move units, by bringing awareness and WoM around them are huge pillar of the PlayStation strategy.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit futile to talk about Silent Hill sales anyways as the series golden era was in a different time for games. I actually think a new Silent Hill game with good reception and marketing could do better than any of the past titles, horror games saw a big boom in popularity within the last 10 years (which SH has been mostly absent from), and Silent Hill's reputation has actually exponentially improved in the last decade. I think a new good Silent Hill game could potentially do better than any of the past entries honestly.

So they are basically taking the God of War approach to it..works for me, as I've never played the series but was always intrigued by it.

Btw, sorry to bother you about that, but have you heard anything new regarding Silent Hills? Ever since I watched a youtube playthrough of that I was bummed about its cancellation. Has there been any progress about this project?

I promised not to talk about this for now, but though it's not yet set in stone I highly suspect Kojima is going to pass on the Silent Hills offer.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you meant that I am lowballing SH, sure, I agree. But Until Dawn was a success for Sony. It's a good starting point for looking at possible sales targets.

As a matter of fact, we should probably look at how the mayor AAA Horror games this gen performed: The Evil Within 1 and 2, Until Dawn, Alien Isolation, RE7, REmake 2 and 3. If anyone has rough estimates, feel free to share XD.

Alien Isolation - 2.1M+ (Launch period sales. Considered weak by Sega)
Dying Light - 17M+ (as of December 2019)
Resident Evil 7 - 7M
Resident Evil 2 - 5.8M (will likely be 6M when we get the sales update for FY19 Q4 very soon)

I can't find anything concrete about TEW 1/2 or Until Dawn. Resident Evil 3 we won't know about until Capcom makes their Q1 quarterly update in June, unless they do a press release first.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
3 to 4 million would be a LOT. I don't even think Bloodborne has sold 4 million yet and it came out five years ago.

I think Bloodborne sold around 5-6 million. iirc somebody with knowledge said it sold as good as other souls games. And all souls game usally sell 5+ million copies.

Since the budget for Silent Hill won't be excessive, 3-4 million copies sold would be a fantastic result.

But I believe that a critically acclaimed and well marketed Silent Hill can achieve even more than that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bloodborne sold around 5-6 million. iirc somebody with knowledge said it sold as good as other souls games. And all souls game usally sell 5+ million copies.

Since the budget for Silent Hill won't be excessive, 3-4 million copies sold would be a fantastic result.

But I believe that a critically acclaimed and well marketed Silent Hill can achieve even more than that.

The last sales quote I remember seeing was 2 million. I don't think it would have jumped all the way to 6 million even in five years. I would say high 3s to low 4s is most believable.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
So, kind of like a God of War situation?

Ha! Truth. Me? I like both. RE7 is amazing and really the most faithful to the series since the OG RE3, and the REmake games give the perfect twist on the originals
Something tells me that, if real, the trajectory of this fandom will go like this:

-Reveal trailer: People implode with joy at seeing the return of Team Silent and the IP itself
-Fairly lax expectations since these are beloved series veterans at the helm, and the IP has been dead since forever
-Release: Metacritic in the 82-88 range, fans and newcomers will fall in love the game and the IP
-Reboot becomes fastest selling game in the franchise by quite a bit
-Silent Hills Revival reveal: People now associate the reboot with the Silent Hill IP + Change in POV + likely different tone and aesthetic + Kojima's last project being controversial + Not one member of the new Team Silent will leave Toyama's team to join Kojima Productions = A shit show thread for the reveal of Silent Hills consisting of the people who have fond memories of PT (and Kojima stans) vs the people who fell in love with Team Silent's reboot (+ Everyone who is not a fan of Kojima)

Calling it now

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Alien Isolation - 2.1M+ (Launch period sales. Considered weak by Sega)
Dying Light - 5M+ (as of June 2015)
Resident Evil 7 - 7M
Resident Evil 2 - 5.8M (will likely be 6M when we get the next sales update very soon)

I can't find anything concrete about TEW 1/2 or Until Dawn. Resident Evil 3 we won't know about until Capcom makes a press release or their Q1 quarterly update in June.
Thank you!

VGChartz (i know, i know, but we don't have much to for) says 1.9 M for Until Dawn in 2018... So i would go out in a limb and say real numbers are somewhere in the 2.5 M range.

Any number with a 3 in front of it, would be a positive outcome for Silent Hill, i think.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

VGChartz (i know, i know, but we don't have much to for) says 1.9 M for Until Dawn in 2018... So i would go out in a limb and say real numbers are somewhere in the 2.5 M range.

Any number with a 3 in front of it, would be a positive outcome for Silent Hill, i think.

I wish I knew about Until Dawn sales. I remember hearing something about 2-3M, but I can't find anything.

And correction to Dying Light. It's sold over 17 million as of December last year. I strictly went by Wikipedia unless there were no numbers, and the sales part of the article only cited numbers from 2015.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit futile to talke about Silent Hill sales anyways as the series golden era was in a different time for games. I actually think a new Silent Hill game with good reception and marketing could do better than any of the past titles, horror games saw a big boom in popularity within the last 10 years (which SH has been mostly absent from), and Silent Hill's reputation has actually exponentially improved in the last decade. I think a new good Silent Hill game could potentially do better than any of the past entries honestly.

I promised not to talk about this for now, but though it's not yet set in stone I highly suspect Kojima is going to pass on the Silent Hills offer.

I'm fine with that. Hopefully he still makes a horror game...with Del Toro's writing.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

WHAT.

I wonder what the reason for this could be. Would this mean that the rumoured second Silent Hill project wouldn't be happening under either Kojima or different developers for now?

As excited as I am for another Toyama/Ito/Yamaoka Silent Hill, I really want to see what Kojima could do with this IP. It would be such a shame if it wasn't going to happen, especially considering how much hype and excitement a Kojima-led Silent Hill project would generate.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Probably for the best. We don't need two opposing visions fighting it out over which one ends up defining the IP.

Plus, Team Silent vs Kojima is not a discussion that will do any good to the IP in the long run.

PlanetSmasher is probably jumping in joy, somewhere out in the cosmos

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT.

I wonder what the reason for this could be. Would this mean that the rumoured second Silent Hill project wouldn't be happening under either Kojima or different developers for now?

As excited as I am for another Toyama/Ito/Yamaoka Silent Hill, I really want to see what Kojima could do with this IP. It would be such a shame if it wasn't going to happen, especially considering how much hype and excitement a Kojima-led Silent Hill project would generate.

Can't really blame Kojima for not wanting to work with Konami again if that is why he turns it down.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Can't really blame Kojima for not wanting to work with Konami again if that is why he turns it down.
Yeah, whatever bad blood there is between Toyama/Team Silent and Konami, can't be anywhere as bad, and certainly not as recent, as the shitshow that went down between Kojima and Konami. The SIE buffer probably does not mean as much to Kojima as it does to Toyama since he is not an actual SIE Dev, just a partner. Toyama and Team Silent know (see Golem's post about Toyama's standing in SIE) that SIE will have their backs when dealing with Konami.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the best. We don't need two opposing visions fighting it out over which one ends up defining the IP.

Plus, Team Silent vs Kojima is not a discussion that will do any good to the IP in the long run.

PlanetSmasher is probably jumping in joy, somewhere out in the cosmos

I mean, I'm not going to laugh at people who are sad about this news, but the knowledge that Kojima might stay away from Silent Hill does put a smile on my face.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I never said that it was the selling point of a console. Just that it would sell well in combination with a new console like the PS5.
Like it was for Silent Hill 2 with the most hyped console in history? Notwithstanding that it later benefitted from PC and Xbox sales.

3 to 4 million would be a LOT. I don't even think Bloodborne has sold 4 million yet and it came out five years ago.
I don't think the best seelling Persona has ever sold 4 millions, either.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It will be one of the biggest missed opportunities in gaming history if Kojima never makes a horror experience. I'm okay if it's not tied in with SH, it can be its own thing like PT was (until the end of the demo anyways)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It will be one of the biggest missed opportunities in gaming history if Kojima never makes a horror experience. I'm okay if it's not tied in with SH, it can be its own thing like PT was (until the end of the demo anyways)
it seems likely that kojima's next project will be horror

but whether or not it's silent hill related is a different issue

im wondering if kojima is thinking about what he want to do with horror, and what it might take to cram that into a silent hill shaped hole

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Like it was for Silent Hill 2 with the most hyped console in history? Notwithstanding that it later benefitted from PC and Xbox sales.

I don't think the best seelling Persona has ever sold 4 millions, either.
Gaming is in a completely different place in 2020 then when the PS2 launched.

If Until Dawn, a game that Sony barely pushed, a new IP, from an unknown studio, that was originally showcased as a mediocre looking PS Move game (bet a ton of you don't remember that one), managed to hit the 2.5-3 Million range...

There is no reason why a Silent Hill Reboot, with a larger marketing push (than UD) by THE market leader, backed up by PS5 hysteria, and the nostalgia craze, that will be plussed by the return of the original team, shouldn't be able to hit somewhere in the 3 Million range.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Gaming is in a completely different place in 2020 then when the PS2 launched.

If Until Dawn, a game that Sony barely pushed, a new IP, from an unknown studio, that was originally showcased as a mediocre looking PS Move game (bet a ton of you don't remember that one), managed to hit the 2.5-3 Million range...

There is no reason why a Silent Hill Reboot, with a larger marketing push (than UD), backed up by PS5 hysteria, and the nostalgia craze, that will be plussed by the return of the original team, shouldn't be able to hit somewhere in the 3 Million range.

But Silent Hill is way different than Until Dawn, an edulcorated teen horror interactive movie.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
But Silent Hill is way different than Until Dawn, an edulcorated teen horror interactive movie.
Until Dawn had way more going against it leading up to it's launch than a possible Silent Hill Reboot.

Sony has proven that when they WANT to push something, they can mount very successful marketing campaigns. And going by the fact that this is a licensed project, they probably would have more of a reason to push it harder (if they ever want to work on the IP again) than some of the PS4 games that had to sell almost entirely on good Word of Mouth/Reviews, like Until Dawn and Bloodborne.

Apr 27, 2018
I think it's a bit futile to talke about Silent Hill sales anyways as the series golden era was in a different time for games. I actually think a new Silent Hill game with good reception and marketing could do better than any of the past titles, horror games saw a big boom in popularity within the last 10 years (which SH has been mostly absent from), and Silent Hill's reputation has actually exponentially improved in the last decade. I think a new good Silent Hill game could potentially do better than any of the past entries honestly.

I can't see Kojima passing up the Silent Hills offer. Why throw out the potential of a revival of Silent Hills, especially because a majority of people said it was the best horror game in years. It also received universal acclaim.

I don't think he would do that to his fans, and alienate other potential new fans to the Silent Hill series.

I'm hoping that the deal goes through, because there is so much potential for the franchise's future. If it does go through, I hope Kojima gets Junji Ito, and Del Toro back. Norman Reedus's return would be a surprise as well. Just trying to be optimistic about this, that's all.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Btw, He tweeted about the DualSense. It may not sound major but you can't find a Xbox only dev or Phil Spencer tweeting the DS anyway. So take it as more smoke.
It seems like Ito does not tweet about non SH related gaming often... Cool

Ito's work deserves to be loved by the new generations. If the game is happening, I look forward to what new wave of nightmare fuel Ito will bless us with, rendered in glorious raytraced 4K.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018

Ito's work deserves to be loved by the new generations. If the game is happening, I look forward to what new wave of nightmare fuel Ito will bless us with, rendered in glorious raytraced 4K.
Oh man I haven't even been considering ray tracing and what that could do for this game. That combined with the SSD speeds is going to enable them to do some pretty awesome stuff.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Oh man I haven't even been considering ray tracing and what that could do for this game. That combined with the SSD speeds is going to enable them to do some pretty awesome stuff.

Yes. I mean with the power of the PS5 Toyama will propulse the concept of the game to other levels like byond the stuff he did in Gravity Rush 2 with open world cities above and below you, Ito will imagine the most insane monsters that your nightmares can't even fathom, Yamaoka will design sound for the game that makes use of Tempest engine that will cause heart problems since half of Silent Hill is sound and he will accompany it with even better music and themese than before, I hope most of the old staff are back like Joe Romersa and Donna Burke too.

Ray-tracing lighting will make the use of light the biggest feature in Silent Hill and I hope it will be 30 FPS instead so they can push the most photorealitsic graphics ever. The SSD will obviously allow amazing ideas like instant world shifting and otehr stuff.

I hope also the game will use all DualSense features: gyro, touchpad, new lightbar, monospeaker, hatptic feedback acting in tandem with sound, trigger resistance and microphone in game.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
WHAT.

Kojima want to make horror game, didn't have to be Silent Hills. I prefer he just start fresh. PT is already very different from Silent Hills anyway. Make a new horror IP instead imo

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Yes. I mean with the power of the PS5 Toyama will propulse the concept of the game to other levels like byond the stuff he did in Gravity Rush 2 with open world cities above and below you, Ito will imagine the most insane monster that your nightmares can't even fathom, Yamaoka will design sound for the game that makes use of Tempest engine that will cause heart problems since half of Silent Hill is sound and he will accompany it with even better music and themese than before, I hope most of the old staff are back like Joe Romersa and Donna Burke too.

Ray-tracing lighting will make the use of light the biggest feature in Silent Hill and I hope it will be 30 FPS instead so they can push the most photorealitsic graphics ever. The SSD will obviously allow amazing ideas like instant world shifting and otehr stuff.

I hope also the game will use all DualSense features: gyro, touchpad, new lightbar, monospeaker, hatptic feedback acting in tandem with sound, trigger resistance and microphone in game.

Silent Hill X Lovecraft?

Ok lets put down the drugs and back away slowly from the keyboard XD

Lets leave Cosmic horror to the Dead Space soft reboot we eventually get when EA sees that RE and SH mounted successful comebacks, making them next in line to revive a dead AAA Horror IP.

Plus I don't think people are ready for Cosmic horror Ito, if shit like Until Dawn and RE is already pushing them to their limits XD

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill X Lovecraft?

Ok lets put down the drugs and back away slowly from the keyboard XD

Lets leave Cosmic horror to the Dead Space soft reboot we eventually get when EA sees that RE and SH mounted successful comebacks, making them next in line to revive a dead AAA Horror IP.

Plus I don't think people are ready for Cosmic horror Ito, if shit like Until Dawn and RE is already pushing them to their limits XD

Well itw as just a figurative way to say that Ito can push himself to design the monsters and environments just like how Yamaoka can design the sounds and music. Many forget that the former isn't just monster designer but the art director and the latetr isn't just the composer but sound director and with the PS5 power they can realize their enw visions of things with Toyama.

Oct 25, 2017
Still looking for confirmation that Ikumi Nakamura is working at Japan Studio on this project. Saw a rumor somewhere that she was doing creature design for SH. With her background it is a perfect landing spot for her to work with Toyama on a horror game.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
The talk of Yamaoka utilizing the Tempest engine is actually pretty exciting to me. I remember watching DF Retro's analysis on Silent Hill 2 and they talked about how Yamaoka used the PS2 sound engine to really good use.

I can't wait for the original team to be back on Silent Hill. I still can't believe this is becoming even more real day by day!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Well...

2 Outlast games sold more copies than 12 Silent Hill titles

www.gamesindustry.biz

From zero to 15 million: The story of Outlast

Very occasionally, it's possible to see that a game is important or influential before it is released. Most of the time…

People are really overstimating Silent Hill popularity over the course of the years, it was doing nowhere near Resident Evil numbers to begin with and after Downpour with no re-releases in this gen on both consoles and PC, the series faded away.
a lot of older fan favorites are like this in terms of sales always funny seeing people saying X is a massive megaton IP when its just because they hold more emotional weight for that IP

Oct 24, 2019
a lot of older fan favorites are like this in terms of sales always funny seeing people saying X is a massive megaton IP when its just because they hold more emotional weight for that IP

I don't you think can compare Outlast sales to Silent Hill sales from 2 gens ago.

As I said before, Outlast was really carried by the advent of streaming, which the original Silent Hill games weren't benefited by. PT was a sensation due to streaming, I think that's a better comparison to make.

A Silent Hill game made by the OG creators with the Sony first party stamp of quality positioned as a big launch window game that all the streamers and influencers will be playing? Yeah this game is going to be fucking big

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I don't you think can compare Outlast sales to Silent Hill sales from 2 gens ago.

As I said before, Outlast was really carried by the advent of streaming, which the original Silent Hill games weren't benefited by. PT was a sensation due to streaming, I think that's a better comparison to make.

A Silent Hill game made by the OG creators with the Sony first party stamp of quality positioned as a big launch window game that all the streamers and influencers will be playing? Yeah this game is going to be fucking big
eh silent hill was around during 360 when you youtube was blowing up when it came to gaming and it did nothing, you could chock it up to quality of the titles if you wanted i guess but still it was their and if anything the series had more fans then than it does as of right now.

if the game is real, if the game is of a high quality it has a chance for sure to be a really interesting title and hopefully helps reboot the series, thats already 2 ifs and one big one. Also dont forget what was going around PT, It was a Kojima game (coming off a brand new MGS rather quickly), with Del Torro and Norman Reedus involved, it also was followed quickly with the whole Kojima and Konami situation with the game being pulled of the store leading to a craze of some people selling there PS4's with the game still downloaded lol. At the point the fact that the IP was Silent Hill was one of the last things, it genuinely could have been a new horror IP.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eh silent hill was around during 360 when you youtube was blowing up when it came to gaming and it did nothing, you could chock it up to quality of the titles if you wanted i guess but still it was their and if anything the series had more fans then than it does as of right now.

if the game is real, if the game is of a high quality it has a chance for sure to be a really interesting title and hopefully helps reboot the series, thats already 2 ifs and one big one. Also dont forget what was going around PT, It was a Kojima game (coming off a brand new MGS rather quickly), with Del Torro and Norman Reedus involved, it also was followed quickly with the whole Kojima and Konami situation with the game being pulled of the store leading to a craze of some people selling there PS4's with the game still downloaded lol. At the point the fact that the IP was Silent Hill was one of the last things, it genuinely could have been a new horror IP.
I think it's really hard to speculate about this game's potential sales — if it exists, of course.

Silent Hill did exist in the 360 era, but none of the games were really popular between fans. Shattered Memories and Downpour had an OK to good reception, but that's about it. Resident Evil was an action franchise at the time, while Amnesia and Outlast were talked as the pillars of horror at the time.

If this game releases, how good it sells will depend on its marketing. I'm not sure the series is super strong in terms of player base, but the name is certainly well-known even among casual folks. If everything is well-executed, it has the potential to be like the RE Remakes, but we can't have an idea at least until it is announced.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill actually lost its steam post-SH4 (PS2 era), with Konami handling the games to different developers that didn't sit well with even the fans. There was barely any buzz for those games except for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which, IIRC, actually had some buzz when it was revealed in E3. After that though... Konami just dropped the ball? Like we barely heard from them on the game until its release. The HD collection was marred with controversy from start to finish, and so was Silent Hill: Downpour (who could forget the developers suddenly realizing that Konami had hired Korn to make the game's theme song without being told about it?). At the very least, Downpour was received quite well, but that generation was a mess for Silent Hill.

This generation, we could have had Silent Hills, which could have revitalized the brand--and it had a lot of hype behind it. It actually trended worldwide when Konami cancelled it.

Not saying that Silent Hill is the second biggest video game horror IP behind Resident Evil, but it's also not totally niche. It's certainly a financial risk, and the reboot game not being associated with Kojima/Del Toro/Reedus will certainly kill the hype for some, but it's not exactly an unknown IP. It was just badly managed.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm keeping my expectations really low. Even if these games are real, Konami will only deny it again, and then I'll be in another big depression until it gets revealed.

Oct 28, 2017
I can see it now. During the livestream reveal of PS5, a trailer begins .........

"Konami logo followed by........Sony interactive entertainment presents......

A voice.. "But guess what? I will be coming back. And I'm bringing my new toys with me."

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it now. During the livestream reveal of PS5, a trailer begins .........

"Konami logo followed by........Sony interactive entertainment presents......

A voice.. "But guess what? I will be coming back. And I'm bringing my new toys with me."

Actually the most thrilling thing to reveal what this game is about is when the iconic theme starts playing. It will give eveyrone shivers.

Deleted member 46477

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
So....I'm confused. I heard the Sony acquiring Silent Hill rights and the Silent Hill reboot rumors were all false.

Now the train is back on the tracks? What happened to get people thinking Silent Hills or another SH game in general is still happening??

Status
Not open for further replies.