• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The comparison is between to very appassionate fandom that mistake influence with popularity. The first 4 Silent Hill are incredible masterpiece that influenced a lot of designer and later games, but it has always been a very limited market for them. How can a 500k-average series become the selling point of a console?
I think the "Silent Hill as a selling point" argument is not being framed correctly. Sony won't just offer Silent Hill as a reason to buy the PS5, you have Horizon, GT, Spiderman, and GoW to pull in mass audiences. And horror fans, even if we are not a massive niche, there is money to be made there, and if we know Sony has Silent Hill locked down, our choice to buy the console becomes significantly easier. What is Microsoft or Nintendo offering to horror fans? Not much. In that respect, SH could be a selling point, to horror fans. But to mass audiences? No

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill is definitely not a selling point. Silent Hill should be thought about in the same breath as projects like Last Guardian and Gravity Rush which serve to keep PlayStation's IP reach beyond just western audiences and preserve some of the Japanese-oriented spirit of the original PlayStation.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
eeh, is Toyama really known for coherent plot? as much as I love Gravity Rush, a lot of the lore kinda flew over my head honestly. and I never beat Siren in the end, but that one is also pretty out there, right.
Siren's story is out there, but it's one of the most unique and interesting ones in the horror genre for me, including the og Silent Hills. It has an esoteric feel to it that no other game has replicated. Also in terms of world building, the first Siren game has probably the most oppressive atmosphere I've experienced in a horror game. No setting has instilled such a feeling of hopelessness and pure dread like the hellish dimension it takes place in. So I have faith in Toyama, he's pretty creative.

Oh and I'm fully in support of the praise Downpour is getting in terms of its vignettes, they were really great additions and easily the scariest part of that game for me. I would love to see them revised in the new one.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Silent Hill is definitely not a selling point. Silent Hill should be thought about in the same breath as projects like Last Guardian and Gravity Rush which serve to keep PlayStation's IP reach beyond just western audiences and preserve some of the Japanese-oriented spirit of the original PlayStation.

It's IP has a ton of relevance as seen with tons of youtube channels and publications who literally report on these said rumors and get tons of clicks.

Silent hill can be as relevant as resident evil if done properly.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
The comparison is between to very appassionate fandom that mistake influence with popularity. The first 4 Silent Hill are incredible masterpiece that influenced a lot of designer and later games, but it has always been a very limited market for them. How can a 500k-average series become the selling point of a console?
I never said that it was the selling point of a console. Just that it would sell well in combination with a new console like the PS5.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
When people were speculating on Silent Hills one of the theories was that you'd explore the overworld and larger areas in third-person while interiors would be mostly first-person. I wouldn't want third-person to go away entirely, but after seeing how well the series' trademark horror of having familiar spaces twisted by supernatural forces worked in first-person in 4 and P.T. I'd be open to that idea.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
TEW2 is horrendous. Zero atmosphere, let alone scares. Horror needs real level design, not generic open worlds that are only eventually switched up with linear corridors.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The same could be said about Death Stranding which underperformed.

Death stranding also was way overhyped and unfortunately had development issues. A lot of it being a kojima issue.

Japan studio have proven to make quality games with minimal teams and decent budgets.

Death stranding did not land with everyone and got mixed reactions.

After seeing the fan fare of RE remakes, and lead creative of RE4 making a splash with evil within.

Silent Hill with it's fan following had a much larger appeal than a new IP from a known Creator who made mgs for most of his career.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding also was way overhyped and unfortunately had development issues. A lot of it being a kojima issue.

Japan studio have proven to make quality games with minimal teams and decent budgets.

Death stranding did not land with everyone and got mixed reactions.

After seeing the fan fare of RE remakes, and lead creative of RE4 making a splash with evil within.

Silent Hill with it's fan following had a much larger appeal than a new IP from a known Creator who made mgs for most of his career.
Silent Hill's fan following as it has been said is not that large in the grand scheme of things, especially in 2020 when it hasn't had a game in many years. Just because RE2 did well doesn't necessarily mean that a large portion of that same audience will care about a PS5-exclusive Silent Hill game. I don't know that I would say that Mikami "made a splash" with Evil Within honestly, Evil Within 2 did not do nearly as well as the first game and the first game had a mixed reception (and the people that loved the first game seemed to feel pretty burned by the sequel). Japan Studio (when they're acting as primary developer so disregarding projects like Shadow of the Colossus remake and Bloodborne) over the last decade have pretty much exclusively made games that have fairly limited appeal (Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Knack, Puppeteer, Rain, Everybody's Golf, etc.) so Silent Hill falls in line with that studio's ethos. If anything I think trying to morph Silent Hill to try and hit a larger fanbase could very well stand to make it worse. I don't think this is going to be a project that Sony sees as being of the biggest or even slightly smaller than that tier of game that they do (i.e. Horizon, Last of Us, God of War, etc.). This'll be a Last Guardian or Death Stranding situation where it's got an intense fanbase of people who have been asking for it for years but after that initial burst of sales unless there is an intensely good word-of-mouth it'll drop off after launch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
eeh, is Toyama really known for coherent plot? as much as I love Gravity Rush, a lot of the lore kinda flew over my head honestly. and I never beat Siren in the end, but that one is also pretty out there, right.

The multiple perspective plot in Siren is amazing IMO. First, it keeps you guessing on who is going to survive until the end since there isn't just 1 main character that has to survive since the player is controlling them. And second, it means that figuring out the whole story is almost a meta-game in and of itself. Piecing together everything from the various timelines & the collectible items scattered throughout episodes was very satisfying.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I am frustrated. Wouldn't you be frustrated if nobody made games for you anymore and you constantly had to spend money on shit you don't really want just to have something to play? And then every time you get annoyed by an announcement, someone who IS getting all kinds of shit they want tells you to shut up and stop complaining? And then five to ten other people who you weren't even talking to, who are ALSO getting what they want, insult you either directly or indirectly and you can't fight back?

Like, come the fuck on. I might disagree with you folks but I don't insult you or shit on you or tell you you're assholes for wanting different things than me. I would rather all of us get stuff we want, I just want it to happen in a way that doesn't turn the industry into a toxic, spiteful hellhole where Sony and Microsoft are just throwing money at third parties to spite each other. We've HAD that so many times in the past and it sucks.
A tip for you...leave videogames but above all forums and change hobby

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
To the talk about a remake or new entry and such, I've heard from pretty much every person who may have knowledge on the title that this is a soft reboot, which as many say lot of the series is anyways but they're going a bit further with it this time. At the moment in development they're thinking of just calling the game, "Silent Hill", it won't have any numbers or anything and be made so it can easily be a person's first entry in the series. It's not a remake and it doesn't erase past games but none of that is important really to this game.

From my understanding it's not a remake of the first game and it's not a complete reboot, more of a re-introduction.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be game if they lifted some ideas and some of the structure from the Deadly Premonition games which seemed partially inspired by Silent Hill as much as Twin Peaks. An open world but its just one town and its surroundings. Not sure if the time management aspect or driving would be needed but maybe something a bit smaller scale would work.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Do we have a sales figure estimate for Until Dawn? That could very useful as a reference point (Keeping in mind that the game spawned two spin offs and an 8 game deal for Supermassive).

Oct 25, 2017
To the talk about a remake or new entry and such, I've heard from pretty much every person who may have knowledge on the title that this is a soft reboot, which as many say lot of the series is anyways but they're going a bit further with it this time. At the moment in development they're thinking of just calling the game, "Silent Hill", it won't have any numbers or anything and be made so it can easily be a person's first entry in the series. It's not a remake and it doesn't erase past games but none of that is important really to this game.

From my understanding it's not a remake of the first game and it's not a complete reboot, more of a re-introduction.

Sounds about right. Do you know have any knowledge of whether they will stick to traditional SH gameplay/presentation or a more radical transformation like GOW 2018? Or would such a departure like that be saved for Silent Hills?

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019

Smartest route they could take

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the gameplay and reviews. A great Silent Hill game can absolutely be a system seller. Not like Uncharted or Horizon, but horror fans will buy a console for it.
Death Stranding generally reviewed well with a couple outliers.

We'll see. Idk I'm really excited about this game but don't see it as being that big of a deal in the grand scheme of games beyond games enthusiasts online. Would love to be proven wrong and this makes Silent Hill a hugely known IP.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
While I'll admit Silent Hill isn't a name that is too big to fail - with the hype around P.T/Hills all over this gen, the horror genre seeing less big budget titles etc - I do think that a great showcase/demo and good marketing of the game as well as if the game is any good will be helped by the fact that it carries the Silent Hill name. While it's not as big as Resident Evil it still is reasonably popular as a franchise. I for one would definitely buy it if it were any good and I'm hardly a super fan of the series.

I definitely think it's a recognisable name in gaming especially when it comes to horror and I really want more good horror titles. I would take this over a new Ratchet or Gravity Rush or Knack etc.

Oct 25, 2017

We'll see. Idk I'm really excited about this game but don't see it as being that big of a deal in the grand scheme of games beyond games enthusiasts online. Would love to be proven wrong and this makes Silent Hill a hugely known IP.

You ignored the gameplay issue which was a huge turn-off for many.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

I agree that this seems more of a prestige title for Sony and rather than some mega blockbuster.

However, if released at the right time, something like within 1st few months of PS5, it could do really well going off the launch hype of a brand new next gen console.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this comes to fruition, but I'd also really love to see Silent Hills from Kojima some day. I'm not even a fan of the guy but PT was brilliant and unforgettable.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Silent Hill with good reviews, a hype generating reveal, and decent marketing, should at least be able to match Until Dawn levels of success.

Jan 2, 2018

So they are basically taking the God of War approach to it..works for me, as I've never played the series but was always intrigued by it.

Btw, sorry to bother you about that, but have you heard anything new regarding Silent Hills? Ever since I watched a youtube playthrough of that I was bummed about its cancellation. Has there been any progress about this project?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Read my post here, bro:

[/QUOTE]
Lmao how people think reboot means remake. And tis is a soft reboot even and not hard one reboot. It will be a direct sequel to other games without cutting ties to them but still fresh enough with various new ideas and gameplay to feel like a new and proper game exactly like the soft reboot of GOW and MK. Think of it as Chapter 2 in the series like GOW director said. It won't be a hard reboot either, ditching all the ties and sstuff from original series like Tomb Raider, Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Silent Hill shattered memores which are hard reboots.

Oct 27, 2017
IMO I think Silent Hill, and Ueda's games too, are sort of a seller in that Sony makes games for the sake of making great games, especially as art, even if they are a lost cause commercially. TV networks have always done this, keeping critic darlings around for 3-5 seasons even tho ratings are middling. Think Six Feet Under, The Wire, Breaking Bad initially (first 2 seasons)

So while yes, each individual entry won't necessarily move a bunch of systems, I think the known fact that Sony releases games that cater to niche audiences helps move systems too idk if that makes sense. Kinda like HBO dramas that aren't going to move subs like Game of Thrones.

Sony games that probably don't move lots of units, but together I think they contribute to move units as it makes PS brand seem to have a wealth of unique games: Concrete Genie, Astro Bot, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Medievil, etc.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You ignored the gameplay issue which was a huge turn-off for many.
And you ignored what I said about Silent Hill historically having sold way less than RE ever did. RE has been huge since the PS1 days. SH, not so much. That's why RE2 did so well, it was a remake of a beloved classic (compare this to RE7's sales which while not bad were definitely not nearly as good; I also suspect RE3 is not going to do nearly as well but jury's out on that one). Aside from that the horror games that have dominated the last decade have been things like Amnesia, Slender, Layers of Fear, Until Dawn, Outlast, Five Nights at Freddy's, and Detention (and its follow-up Devotion was on track to be huge until it got pulled offline).

There's a unifying thing happening here: these are not your classic survival horror style horror games about resource management and the like. They're focused entirely on story and exploration with jump-scary stuff that does well on YouTube and Twitch. Silent Hill could probably be bigger in the 2020's if it pandered more to that style of thing (and I like some of those games and am not trying to look down on them). But with the series' creator at the helm with this new game, it will probably never be that and will likely be a modern reimagining of the classic Silent Hill formula of resource management-heavy combat, riddle-based puzzles and cryptic stories. The Evil Within is a modern take on that kind of thing which really didn't take off like that. I don't think Silent Hill is going to be huge and that's fine.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
If you meant that I am lowballing SH, sure, I agree. But Until Dawn was a success for Sony. It's a good starting point for looking at possible sales targets.

As a matter of fact, we should probably look at how the mayor AAA Horror games this gen performed: The Evil Within 1 and 2, Until Dawn, Alien Isolation, RE7, REmake 2 and 3. If anyone has rough estimates, feel free to share XD.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the newer SH's but in 1 we had Alessa's rust. In 2 we had James' soaked/water aesthetic. And in 3 we were back to the bloody/rust aesthetic along with the amusement park stuff.

In 2 we got glimpses into Eddy and Angela's worlds. Ice and Fire. Wonder how those would translate to full games. I've always had an idea about a silent hill where the main theme was stagnation/inaction/complacency and the other world would be icy and deathly still.

Ugh my mind is racing for where they could take this.

Do we have a sales figure estimate for Until Dawn? That could very useful as a reference point (Keeping in mind that the game spawned two spin offs and an 8 game deal for Supermassive).
8 Games?? With who Sony??

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO I think Silent Hill, and Ueda's games too, are sort of a seller in that Sony makes games for the sake of making great games, especially as art, even if they are a lost cause commercially. TV networks have always done this, keeping critic darlings around for 3-5 seasons even tho ratings are middling. Think Six Feet Under, The Wire, Breaking Bad initially (first 2 seasons)

So while yes, each individual entry won't necessarily move a bunch of systems, I think the known fact that Sony releases games that cater to niche audiences helps move systems too idk if that makes sense. Kinda like HBO dramas that aren't going to move subs like Game of Thrones.

Sony games that probably don't move lots of units, but together I think they contribute to move units as it makes PS brand seem to have a wealth of unique games: Concrete Genie, Astro Bot, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Medievil, etc.
This is definitely a good point that I was circling around but didn't quite articulate: respected games like the ones you mentioned help to bolster a line-up and give your platform an air of legitimacy for audiences that look for that sort of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
And you ignored what I said about Silent Hill historically having sold way less than RE ever did. RE has been huge since the PS1 days. SH, not so much. That's why RE2 did so well, it was a remake of a beloved classic (compare this to RE7's sales which while not bad were definitely not nearly as good; I also suspect RE3 is not going to do nearly as well but jury's out on that one). Aside from that the horror games that have dominated the last decade have been things like Amnesia, Slender, Layers of Fear, Until Dawn, Outlast, Five Nights at Freddy's, and Detention (and its follow-up Devotion was on track to be huge until it got pulled offline).

There's a unifying thing happening here: these are not your classic survival horror style horror games about resource management and the like. They're focused entirely on story and exploration with jump-scary stuff that does well on YouTube and Twitch. Silent Hill could probably be bigger in the 2020's if it pandered more to that style of thing (and I like some of those games and am not trying to look down on them). But with the series' creator at the helm with this new game, it will probably never be that and will likely be a modern reimagining of the classic Silent Hill formula of resource management-heavy combat, riddle-based puzzles and cryptic stories. The Evil Within is a modern take on that kind of thing which really didn't take off like that. I don't think Silent Hill is going to be huge and that's fine.

I'm not arguing that it will be huge. I see no reason why a really good SH cannot sell 3 to 4 million. I do hope the combat is revamped. If it is as clunky as the previous games that will definitely limit it's appeal as it is not satisfying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What does Pyramid Head, R.I.P. really means?

Masahiro Ito has a problem with Pyramid Head's overuse in post-SH2 games and has said that the only reason he would ever want to bring PH back in another game would be to kill him immediately. He really doesn't like how people basically just use Pyramid Head as symbolic of the entire Silent Hill series instead of as an antagonist specific to James, which is honestly pretty fair.

Like I get it, he's more of a "slasher villain" design-wise than most monsters in Silent Hill so he's easy to market, but it does take away his power when he gets used as a random bad guy in spinoff games or pops up in Bomberman.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not arguing that it will be huge. I see no reason why a really good SH cannot sell 3 to 4 million. I do hope the combat is revamped. If it is as clunky as the previous games that will definitely limit it's appeal as it is not satisfying.

3 to 4 million would be a LOT. I don't even think Bloodborne has sold 4 million yet and it came out five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.