• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say confirmed, even as someone who still believes in what he's shared to be true I'm not even 100% positive, I'm like 85-90% positive. It's not confirmed until it is.

But I still fully believe in what I've shared and that it's happening (which for the record, is that Sony Japan Studio is making a SH game with Toyama, Akira and Masahiro Ito working on it with others), I NEVER shared and have multiple times debunked the Sony buying Konami IPs rumors (because that's bullshit), Kojima's game was in the talks & from what I hear it's still being negotiated but not worked on yet due to another potential deal. If I get proof what I've heard is bullshit, I'll share so publicly, and it's good for some people to practice skepticism of things that are still rumor, but just know I still do believe in it and the evidence I was shown.

HYPE

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
I wouldn't say confirmed, even as someone who still believes in what he's shared to be true I'm not even 100% positive, I'm like 85-90% positive. It's not confirmed until it is.

But I still fully believe in what I've shared and that it's happening (which for the record, is that Sony Japan Studio is making a SH game with Toyama, Akira and Masahiro Ito working on it with others), I NEVER shared and have multiple times debunked the Sony buying Konami IPs rumors (because that's bullshit), Kojima's game was in the talks & from what I hear it's still being negotiated but not worked on yet due to another potential deal. If I get proof what I've heard is bullshit, I'll share so publicly, and it's good for some people to practice skepticism of things that are still rumor, but just know I still do believe in it and the evidence I was shown.
Thanks for sharing everything. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty excited right now.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

tenor.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Sony thinking a new SH would be a system seller is pretty surprising (and interesting) considering the series' downfall post-PS2.

Do they think that way because of the huge hype surrounding Silent Hills back then ?

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony thinking a new SH would be a system seller is pretty surprising (and interesting) considering the series' downfall post-PS2.

Do they think that way because of the huge hype surrounding Silent Hills back then ?
Pretty much. I'm sure they're also aware of the reason of the series' downfall was because it was handed to different developers. Having the original masterminds, so to say, will put a lot of people at ease at the quality of the title.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland

It's not like anything else they have tried with Toyama has been a system seller so what they got to lose? If the game is good they gain the goodwill of the fanbase at least.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I'd imagine from Sony's perspective it's less "system seller" on its own and more "feather in their cap" when combined with other exclusives.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

To my understanding, the situation is a bit of a unique one. Toyama has good standing in the company because he's polite, professional, talented, and can do a lot with meager budgets. That said, neither the Siren or Gravity Rush games set the world on fire, they did make back money but neither were smash-out hits. Toyama wants to do another horror game, and Sony is completely fine with that, but if it was a new Siren game or a new IP, the actual budget would have to be on the slimmer side due to past performance indicating while both will do fine, neither would probably break out of a niche.

So enter in Konami about two years ago hunting for developers to develop two Silent Hill games. I wish I had a better understanding of how talks even began because that's a huge missing piece, but somehow or another Sony had the thought and talked with Konami still looking to fund two SH games that they could get in contact and develop a game. Toyama would be able to make a horror game like he wanted, it'd be behind an IP many would like to see Toyama work on and has more market share than Siren or another new IP does, Konami just want a quality SH game to help their reputation get back on track and been shipping around for the "right pitch". The deal was negotiated in early 2019, Sony Japan Studio is developing it composed of the Siren/Gravity Rush team, but they also contacted a lot of people who worked on Silent Hill previously to help with it, which is why people like Akira and Masahiro Ito are on board as well.

In terms of cost, Sony and Konami are both fitting the bill of development, Sony is making it, Konami gets a share of each copy sold and just partially have to fund development. From Konami's side having a Sony first party studio develop the game, with them only partially funding development and though they receive a smaller percentage cut from sales, they also don't have to pay for marketing or anything so they're cool with it and the quality may help their image. Sony for them I don't think they expect to set the world on fire, but the actual budget is nothing compared to some other games they fund, the budget is even made smaller due to Konami helping out, and this title has more of a chance as a horror game to succeed with the brand recognition and the demand for a good SH game from horror fans than a new Siren or IP maybe would based on past performance. It also helps many at Sony do like Toyama and his team and want to give them a chance to be able to stand out more and gain more recognizability.

I do hear the plan is the game will be revealed this year, (and at this point it's nearing being in development for about a year and a half almost), but it's hard to speak concretely about these things.

I also will add with the SH stuff, I received some word on some other things I'm not sharing which over the course of the next year will confirm or deny to me if what I was shared was true or not ahead of time. Some will feel that's an excuse I have "things that can prove it I can't share", but all I can do for now is be open and honest about it.

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much. I'm sure they're also aware of the reason of the series' downfall was because it was handed to different developers. Having the original masterminds, so to say, will put a lot of people at ease at the quality of the title.

Considering what we know so far, I'm sure it'll be a quality game but I'm wondering if those outsourced projects hurt the brand in the long run or if everything will be forgotten whenever this game is released !

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I'll have to disagree with you on that. If anyone is willing to make a new game for IPs I care about, I don't give two shits about exclusivity. Ideally, I'd want everyone to be able to play anything, but if Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo, or even (LOL) Stadia getting exclusive rights gets me a new Silent Hill / Metal Gear / Castlevania, then I'm all for it.
Let me be blunt.

I do not want the next-gen arms race to be determined by first parties locking down multiplatform franchises as exclusives. I do not want to see Sony making an exclusive Silent Hill and then Microsoft countering by funding an exclusive Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy, because it will just continue to snowball from there and everyone on both sides gets screwed over aside from the third party companies who basically get free paydays for doing no work. I do not want a future where previously multiplatform franchises are being bought and sold like fucking trading cards.

And if that means a couple dead IPs have to stay dead, I'm fine with that.
Seriously? So you would rarher have a franchise die bc a publisher only wants to do slot machines?

There is a big difference between reviving a franchise like silent hill or bayonetta 2, or moneyhat a relevent franchise an have a hostage timed exclusive like rise of the tomb raider.

Oct 25, 2017
To my understanding, the situation is a bit of a unique one. Toyama has good standing in the company because he's polite, professional, talented, and can do a lot with meager budgets. That said, neither the Siren or Gravity Rush games set the world on fire, they did make back money but neither were smash-out hits. Toyama wants to do another horror game, and Sony is completely fine with that, but if it was a new Siren game or a new IP, the actual budget would have to be on the slimmer side due to past performance indicating while both will do fine, neither would probably break out of a niche.

So enter in Konami about two years ago hunting for developers to develop two Silent Hill games. I wish I had a better understanding of how talks even began because that's a huge missing piece, but somehow or another Sony had the thought and talked with Konami still looking to fund two SH games that they could get in contact and develop a game. Toyama would be able to make a horror game like he wanted, it'd be behind an IP many would like to see Toyama work on and has more market share than Siren or another new IP does, Konami just want a quality SH game to help their reputation get back on track and been shipping around for the "right pitch". The deal was negotiated in early 2019, Sony Japan Studio is developing it composed of the Siren/Gravity Rush team, but they also contacted a lot of people who worked on Silent Hill previously to help with it, which is why people like Akira and Masahiro Ito are on board as well.

In terms of cost, Sony and Konami are both fitting the bill of development, Sony is making it, Konami gets a share of each copy sold and just partially have to fund development. From Konami's side having a Sony first party studio develop the game, with them only partially funding development and though they receive a smaller percentage cut from sales, they also don't have to pay for marketing or anything so they're cool with it and the quality may help their image. Sony for them I don't think they expect to set the world on fire, but the actual budget is nothing compared to some other games they fund, the budget is even made smaller due to Konami helping out, and this title has more of a chance as a horror game to succeed with the brand recognition and the demand for a good SH game from horror fans than a new Siren or IP maybe would based on past performance. It also helps many at Sony do like Toyama and his team and want to give them a chance to be able to stand out more and gain more recognizability.

I do hear the plan is the game will be revealed this year, (and at this point it's nearing being in development for about a year and a half almost), but it's hard to speak concretely about these things.

I also will add with the SH stuff, I received some word on some other things I'm not sharing which over the course of the next year will confirm or deny to me if what I was shared was true or not ahead of time. Some will feel that's an excuse I have "things that can prove it I can't share", but all I can do for now is be open and honest about it.

Come on. I hope they are not skimping on the budget. Needs to be on par with the recent RE remakes in production values. Maybe better since it is next gen only. Japan Studio always gets the short end of the stick with budgets.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Come on. I hope they are not skimping on the budget. Needs to be on par with the recent RE remakes in production values. Maybe better since it is next gen only. Japan Studio always gets the short end of the stick with budgets.
It's not skimping, just Toyama and his team are better with budgets than most and they often ask for meager budgets, which actually has done well for them as even if they don't set the world on fire their games do make money back. This game does have a bigger budget than their past works.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It definitely has action horror elements but that said it's not like most SH titles have been shy about combat. You shoot and maim a lot of shit in SH2 for example, way more than most modern horror games.

REmake and RE7 are the only games that attempt straight horror. Most of the other games in the series are better classified as horror-thrillers. Even RE7 sort of morphs into Evil Dead after a certain point. They're scary in the same way trying to swim away from a shark is scary.

All the Silent Hill games are super slow. It's adrenaline versus a feeling of dread.

Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for the lengthy post !

So I guess this new SH won't be released until 2023 ?

That part about Konami wanting to get back on track in terms of reputation is interesting. Hopefully, this means MGS6 is in development as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine from Sony's perspective it's less "system seller" on its own and more "feather in their cap" when combined with other exclusives.

Yeah Sony has pretty good amount of system sellers already. Spider-Man, Horizon, GOW, Gran Turismo, whatever ND is making next. Horror is something that is missing from their library and Silent Hill exclusive is a coup. Maybe the Bloodborne of the PS5 generation. No pressure.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the lengthy post !

So I guess this new SH won't be released until 2023 ?

That part about Konami wanting to get back on track in terms of reputation is interesting. Hopefully, this means MGS6 is in development as well.
I don't know when the release is unfortunately, but I also kinda' doubt they do. Just by the time this is revealed it'll probably been in dev for around 1 & a half to two years, and typically this team likes to reveal games 1-2 years before release, though there are some exceptions.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019

Sooo... A stroke of luck for Silent Hill fans? Konami was looking for funding help and a developer for the IP, meanwhile Sony was trying to figure out the way forward for Toyama's team, who also really wanted to do horror again. If this actually pans out, the stars aligned for Silent Hill.

Oct 27, 2017
I was beginning to think I wouldn't be buying a PS5, but...

Now I'll hope that there's some truth to the Castlevania rumors as well.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't the people who seemingly have seen "proof" of it's existence just tell us what the proof is? What is it that KatharsisT saw? An early cut of a trailer? Assets? I'm interested in why it's cool to tell people "I've seen proof" without saying what it actually is.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I do not want the next-gen arms race to be determined by first parties locking down multiplatform franchises as exclusives.
And if that means a couple dead IPs have to stay dead, I'm fine with that.
I actually really agree with you on the first point. I'm just bummed in general these days when a studio gets purchased, whether its Insomniac by Sony or Double Fine by MS. I realize the studio gets more support, but at the end of the day, it gates access to those games. I suppose the saving grace is more publishers using PC/Steam as a neutral territory, but that might not be every release and not everyone has access to that either.

But... I think situations like this are pretty different. Getting the original SH team back together for a SH reboot was just never going in to the cards with Konami in charge. So personally I'm putting those reservations aside on this one.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a movie reboot too? Can't wait to see how this game utilize the fast SSD and I/O speed. Imagine the shift between the other Silent Hill world, glorious.

ChiefSpectacularCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know when the release is unfortunately, but I also kinda' doubt they do. Just by the time this is revealed it'll probably been in dev for around 1 & a half to two years, and typically this team likes to reveal games 1-2 years before release, though there are some exceptions.

Yeah, I went with four years of development but I guess they could make it in three years, especially if they have quite a lot of vets in their ranks.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not skimping, just Toyama and his team are better with budgets than most and they often ask for meager budgets, which actually has done well for them as even if they don't set the world on fire their games do make money back. This game does have a bigger budget than their past works.

OK. Good to know they are getting more resources for this project.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the people who seemingly have seen "proof" of it's existence just tell us what the proof is? What is it that KatharsisT saw? An early cut of a trailer? Assets? I'm interested in why it's cool to tell people "I've seen proof" without saying what it actually is.
Because the proof spoils the identity of people who leaked it.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I don't think it's a good idea for companies to moneyhat 3rd party IP for exclusives
Well in that case this isnt a "moneyhat". Was Konami seriously about to release Silent Hill on PS5/XSX/PC? I dont have to answer because you know the answer to that.

I actually agree with you that Sony shouldnt moneyhat a 3rd party release just to get 6 month exclusivity. Its a waste of resources specially if the rumor is true that Sony is funding 100% the game.

Do you have an issue with my statement or the rumor? If anything you should be upset with Konami. They dont give a shit about console gaming in case you didnt know. Sony on the other hand should not be funding 3rd party games. If it will be exclusives on the system then that is fine in my view because it doesnt make sense to fund a game that will end up elsewhere 6 months down the line.

Both MS and Sony have exclusives for next gen we dont know about. If MS funds the next Siownt Hill, I wouldn't be upset. If they money hatted a game like Tomb Raider then yes. There is a difference. Same idea for Sony.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
The problem is that it's confidential stuff that could burn some people in the industry, including myself and friends. You can't share what you want. That's the whole point of Resetera, just like Jason Schreier won't share what he saw or what he's been told directly and by who.

Mods are here to do the job. If you wanna see the proofs, become a mod, simple as that.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Always assumed this would be the case, minus the Silent Hill IP.
And I'm pretty sure Kojima too is reprising whatever he had been working on for Silent Hills.
Can't wait to finally see ray tracing put to good use with scary mirror reflections :P

Excited for both, but it will be a long wait.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The problem is that it's confidential stuff that could burn some people in the industry, including myself and friends. You can't share what you want. That's the whole point of Resetera, just like Jason Schreier won't share what he saw or what he's been told directly and by who.
Because the proof spoils the identity of people who leaked it.

Thanks for sharing this! Do you think budget wise this is comparable to likes of RE7, Resident Evil 2 remake etc.. or would it be far cheaper than that?

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
No one was saying HZD might come to PC a few years later, it wasn't even a thought until the rumours last year.
Sorry, didn't phrase that very well. I meant no one thought HZD would have ever hit PC, and yet here we are.

No one can definitively say any Sony published game will not go to PC - especially now that Sony is testing the waters.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017

Mods are here to do the job. If you wanna see the proofs, become a mod, simple as that.
So you're saying Dusk Golem saw the same proof you did?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I don't know to budget of the game, tbh, but like I said previously, I assume it will have the same quality as the RE remakes.

That is so exciting to hear. Thank you for sharing!

A game with that level of polish will be awesome! I wonder if it will be open like SH2 or more linear... Cannot wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.