• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Era keeps toying with my emotions to no end ;(

I've made up my mind (already done so, to an extent) on which console i'm getting if true though.

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill is a megaton IP lmao, it would blow Outlast out of the water

Well...

2 Outlast games sold more copies than 12 Silent Hill titles

www.gamesindustry.biz

From zero to 15 million: The story of Outlast

Very occasionally, it's possible to see that a game is important or influential before it is released. Most of the time…

People are really overstimating Silent Hill popularity over the course of the years, it was doing nowhere near Resident Evil numbers to begin with and after Downpour with no re-releases in this gen on both consoles and PC, the series faded away.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the rumor is true it's a shame it won't be multiplat, but it's not like the game would have even existed without Sony. Hope it turns out good!

Oct 24, 2019
Well...

www.gamesindustry.biz

Very occasionally, it's possible to see that a game is important or influential before it is released. Most of the time…

Fair enough, but I think we'd need to compare the sales of the new Silent Hill to Outlast. Silent Hill's garnered a lot of cult status since its glory days and Outlast was boosted a ton by the advent of streamers and influencers. Similar to how PT got a lot of traction with streamers, I think a new Silent Hill would get a huge sales boost from streamers

Edit:
Also you need to factor in that Sony's first party games are viewed as prestige games now + this will be an enormous launch window PS5 exclusive when everyone will be hungry for next-gen goodness.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, but I think we'd need to compare the sales of the new Silent Hill to Outlast. Silent Hill's garnered a lot of cult status since its glory days and Outlast was boosted a ton by the advent of streamers and influencers. Similar to how PT got a lot of traction with streamers, I think a new Silent Hill would get a huge sales boost from streamers

If Konami cared enough to re-release the series on PS4/Xbox One and PC maybe the situation might be different, of course an AAA Silent Hill game with a good marketing campaign will do good, assuming it's a good game in the first place.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Megaton if true.
This is my dream scenario of original game creators returning, fresh new generation technology (immersion & immediacy being the PS5 vision) with 1st party budget & care.

This will be a showcase title for Tempest Engine + DualSense.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Geez that's a big deal. Silent hill is an amazing franchise, I can't wait to see this on the PS5.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If this happens then Sony are going to get ff7 and shenmue 3 e3 levels of hype (regardless of how the end products come out).

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Seeing the response to PT and Silent Hills, there is clearly something there that resonates with people and it makes sense that Sony would want to capitalise on that somehow. Even if the legacy Silent Hill franchise as a whole was relatively niche and wouldn't work in that form nowadays, I think they could make a big deal out of a re-imagined modern take on SH built exclusively for PS5.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well...

www.gamesindustry.biz

People are really overstimating Silent Hill popularity over the course of the years, it was doing nowhere near Resident Evil numbers to begin with and after Downpour with no re-releases in this gen on both consoles and PC, the series faded away.

With Sony it could be huge if they market it right, maybe not a 10M seller but it'll sell more than the old games imo.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Good for silent hill fans. Tried Silent Hill 2 , too scary, puzzles too frustrating, got lost constantly. Maybe this will be the one for me.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Fuck yes. So since the rumor turned out to be true then we're most likely getting a revived Silent Hills eventually as well, right?

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Now imagine if the whole team is back with a huge budget...

9e5cc7b235ed0bf540f6636ded8b2693.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Well...

www.gamesindustry.biz

How much was Spider-Man selling on average before Sony got it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Finally we get a digital Version of the Silent Hill Pachislot Game.

PS5 redeemed. The SSD will allow extra-fast Lever-Pulling, suck it Xbonerz.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How much was Spider-Man selling on average before Sony got it.

Difference is Spider-Man never went anywhere. And is, y'know, Spider-Man. Silent Hill has been mostly gone from the public consciousness since 2015, and even at its peak was never much of a sales success. I don't think Silent Hill can't be successful. Quite the opposite. But I don't think Spider-Man is the best example.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Probably still way more than Silent Hill

He is obviously talking about the boost the IP got by the new game funded and marketed by Sony. Silent Hill will be no different.

It will sell way better than any Silent Hill game before it. 5+ million copies sold is quite achievable if the game is good and marketed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.