• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CTRL + F: SUIKODEN

👀

😡

When the last Suikoden was being made, the producer mentioned how the company forgot how to make RPGs. There was a only a few years between Suikoden games when that statement was made. It's been eight years since a Suikoden game in any capacity, eleven if you count English releases.

It would be perfect for mobile though, with all of those characters. Moreso than Castlevania on phones.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Since its apparently not separate thread worthy
Lol yeah that second rumor is complete bullshit for lots of reasons.

edit since some people apparently believe it:
- Konami is doing really well financially (better than most JP pubs).
- Konami won't ever sell their IPs (can license them though, they've done that in the past).
- Sony is not going to buy IPs for the same reason.
- Sony is certainly not going to work on multiple Konami IPs at the same time, even less multiple AA/AAA projects when their teams already have their hands full.
- Again, people vastly overestimate the value of some IPs. Only one of those IPs that would have a good ROI is MGS.

The SH rumor makes more sense because it has a smaller scope and with less busy teams (still doesn't make that much sense though).

Last edited:

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
This just seems so far fetched...
Silent Hill(s)... maybe
But everything else, heh no way. I just don't see MGS coming back, and I don't even want to see another Vania without Iga.

Jan 3, 2019
6QQEuSj.png

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Castlevania coming back in this context is probably the biggest red flag to it being credible.

Why would a "Konami employee" name a former producer, not the current one? People at the company know who he/she is, and Konami have hid who this producer is to the public. An employee would probably leak a name we're not publicly familiar with, because that's likely who is producing the franchise right now.

Don't get your hopes up.
ok, but with the tv series success i can see something being made eventually even if its a small game.

At least Silent Hill is coming back

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
This is a pretty wild rumor, but it's a total Sony thing to do. This would be the year of dreams 2.0 but with franchises I personally care about.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I believe the Silent Hill getting licensed out to Sony and Kojipro rumours. But Sony buying Konamis 3 biggest IPs is just silly fan fiction

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If I don't see any insiders debunking the non-SH rumors in the next 24 hours, I'll be buying front seat tickets for the Konami Revival Hype Train.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
As much as I want all of the new rumors to have merit my brain won't accept it. I'd rather be skeptical than start daydreaming and get my dreams crushed.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
If Konami isn't gonna make the games at least they have someone else to make them instead of just sitting there. I hope this is true, because they got some of my favorite ips that i'd like to see revived.

May 21, 2018
Think of it this way. Selling to Sony is a one time financial reward then their IP is forever lost.

The cost for those IP alone would be in the hundreds of millions. Unlike Insomniac's IP they absorbed, the Konami franchises have value that Sony want. They never bought IG for Sunset Overdrive. They bought them to make more sequels of previous work for hire IP. At that point the company's primary worth was in the studio and its talent.

Buying Metal Gear has a history of very successful games and that alone will carry a huge cost. But what more can you entice Hideo Kojima to do in a franchise he's literally driven into the ground. We're aware that other people were responsible for the translations that made the first game a stand out success and his games regularly go off the rails story wise.

They'd need to lock Kojima in long term so that's another studio purchase in addition to the cost. Realistically though, given the history between them do you think he'd be able to work inside the WWS system?

Castlevania is enjoying a breath of fresh air thanks to Netflix. It's not going anywhere anytime soon, but where can they go that MercuryStream didn't already attempt? Another God of War style adventure, a FromSoft style take on the series?

And Silent Hill, the likely reason we're hearing all these chan leaks. Of all the IP this is the one that I feel there's something to the buzz. The difference is I think Sony are going to licence the IP on a per game basis from Konami who continue to enjoy a full and healthy balance sheet thanks to the leverage of the IP in the gambling sector.

Konami know they can sublet the franchises to companies to reap rewards, but to give them up entirely to Sony?

Dreams are free (unless on PS4, it's £49.99)

Very well thought out assessment. It will be interesting to see what happens.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I guess I should comment on this. Again, I don't know anyone at Konami, and I literally know nothing about MGS or Castlevania stuff or what those franchises are up to. But I can say two things for a fact:

01. Sony doesn't own the Silent Hill IP, Konami are keeping it and looking into doing other things outside of gaming with the IP.
02. I think some people are going to read into the other rumor and this one as being a sign of something, but I'm more thinking it's coincidences. I just can't see a scenario at the moment Konami sells its IPs, they're not actually that strapped for cash right now and have publicly commented on knowing the value of their IPs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definitely say from what I've heard and the receipts I've seen, Konami is just licensing the IP out to Sony, not selling it to them.

I mean, hopefully the leaker's English is just bad and that's what he meant.

I was wondering - would it be at all possible for Sony to buy from Konami, not the entire IPs, but specifically the rights to develop and publish PlayStation and PC titles using those IPs? That way Konami could keep the rights to mobile games and pachinko stuff, and Sony could make the actual new AAA games that Konami isn't interested in.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was wondering - would it be at all possible for Sony to buy from Konami, not the entire IPs, but specifically the rights to develop and publish PlayStation and PC titles using those IPs? That way Konami could keep the rights to mobile games and pachinko stuff, and Sony could make the actual new AAA games that Konami isn't interested in.

Even if their English was of issue, the bit about Castlevania is suspect. If they're a Konami employee, that means they likely know who is the current series producer to Castlevania. That person is not Koji Igarashi.

So why is Koji Igarashi named?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
From Software needs to make the new Castlevania. What they did with Bloodborne made me believe they would absolutely nail Castlevania.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019

From a legal point of view it is possible, but I don't think it's happening.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I know one more thing I can't share, but let me just say I am pretty adamant the 4chan rumor stuff is a load of hogwash.

OP
OP
Genesius

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think that, at best, Sony would be licensing the other Konami properties, not buying them. Not sure how the 4chan stuff got moved and threadmarked here, but the only part of all this that I buy is the Silent Hill stuff.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
ah Carnival of Stupid

I believe in Silent Hill reboot (not the kojima one, have 2 silent hill is silly) and MGS Remake since it pretty low key and can be used to test the market.

If Sony buys Konami 3 biggest IP. might as well but the entire Konami gaming business while at it

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know one more thing I can't share, but let me just say I am pretty adamant the 4chan rumor stuff is a load of hogwash.

Still waiting on that contested Konami prediction here, so I'm gonna take your post to keep praying to the holy whip. ;_;7

I, like others, am a Futurama Dog when it comes to Castlevania, but I also adhere to caution about rumors of "WOW IGA GONNA COME BACK TO SAVE US AFTER THEY MADE HIM A JANITOR AT KONAMI." He was supposed to save us on the 3DS too. Anybody remember that rumor? :(

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So they can sit on it? at least Sony would probably use it.
I would feel like if they came up with any ideas for a new CV, they would just use them in a Zelda game, which would sell 10x more.
I mean Sony also has a bunch of other IP that they don't use yet you don't say the same to them

I hope that part of the rumor is false because exclusive Castlevania would suck regardless of who gets it

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Even if their English was of issue, the bit about Castlevania is suspect. If they're a Konami employee, that means they likely know who is the current series producer to Castlevania. That person is not Koji Igarashi.

So why is Koji Igarashi named?
From a legal point of view it is possible, but I don't think it's happening.

All fair. I guess the smart money is on it being horseshit. Best to assume that until something new pops up.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks guys, I didn't know SH was that big back in the day.

I wonder how ray tracing tech could help in Silent Hill?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah that second rumor is complete bullshit for lots of reasons.

edit since some people apparently believe it:
- Konami is doing really well financially (better than most JP pubs).
- Konami won't ever sell their IPs (can license them though, they've done that in the past).
- Sony is not going to buy IPs for the same reason.
- Sony is certainly not going to work on multiple Konami IPs at the same time, even less multiple AA/AAA projects when their teams already have their hands full.
- Again, people vastly overestimate the value of some IPs. Only one of those IPs that would have a good ROI is MGS.

The SH rumor makes more sense because it has a smaller scope and with less busy teams (still doesn't make that much sense though).
All but one of those points can be shaved off if you take the "buying IP" part as a misinterpretation of them buying temporary use of the license or exclusive rights for an upcoming project. And the remaining point is entirely conjecture on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.