• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should comment on this. Again, I don't know anyone at Konami, and I literally know nothing about MGS or Castlevania stuff or what those franchises are up to. But I can say two things for a fact:

01. Sony doesn't own the Silent Hill IP, Konami are keeping it and looking into doing other things outside of gaming with the IP.
02. I think some people are going to read into the other rumor and this one as being a sign of something, but I'm more thinking it's coincidences. I just can't see a scenario at the moment Konami sells its IPs, they're not actually that strapped for cash right now and have publicly commented on knowing the value of their IPs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definitely say from what I've heard and the receipts I've seen, Konami is just licensing the IP out to Sony, not selling it to them.

Will this license extend beyond two games if the projects are successful?

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I did. The timing of the post means nothing. Anyone can post shit on 4chan whenever they want.
The timing does matter The fact is:
-The 4chan posts has the same info about a Silent Hill SIE project as Dusk Golem, Rely On Horror and now Jackofallcontrollers
-The 4chan post predates all them
That alone gives the 4chan rumor a bit of credibility, alongside anything else it says. Not saying it's a fact, but dismissing it entirely is fucking stupid.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might be a Spider-Man situation where Konami are asking Sony to make the games and use their IP's.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldnt surprise me at all if the Silent Hill reboot is marketed as a mainline game by the original team(that is probably going to be used as a marketing term) and Silent Hills by Kojima as a sort of spin off. The silent hill reboot is most likely a 3rd person game while Silent Hills is obviously a 1st person game.
I can see a new mainline game being a thing. The idea of "soft reboots" has become more mainstream nowadays, and people are more open now to creating new installments/experiences in an established/familiar world instead of a hard reboot. Something like "Silent Hill" doesn't need a reboot or remake (unless people want the games to look better) because the town of Silent Hill has always been ripe for the anthology route. Basically, one town, haunted by the supernatural and the psychological can produce MANY different experiences for those that step foot within it. And if those who create a new "tale in Silent Hill" are those responsible for some of the greatest installments in the series already, that's all the better!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I guess I should comment on this. Again, I don't know anyone at Konami, and I literally know nothing about MGS or Castlevania stuff or what those franchises are up to. But I can say two things for a fact:

01. Sony doesn't own the Silent Hill IP, Konami are keeping it and looking into doing other things outside of gaming with the IP.
02. I think some people are going to read into the other rumor and this one as being a sign of something, but I'm more thinking it's coincidences. I just can't see a scenario at the moment Konami sells its IPs, they're not actually that strapped for cash right now and have publicly commented on knowing the value of their IPs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definitely say from what I've heard and the receipts I've seen, Konami is just licensing the IP out to Sony, not selling it to them.
Yeah, this is what I've been thinking. Why on Earth would Konami screw itself over by outright selling its three most valuable IPs?

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I do not know. That's really up to the parties involved, and though I know some things that I believe it's not like I'm in their offices and have witnessed these meetings myself and know the exact terms of their licensing and future plans.
This is off topic but do you know if Shu Takumi was involved with that failed Dino Crisis project, or what's going with with the Ace Attorney devs at Capcom at all?

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking. Why on Earth would Konami screw itself over by outright selling its three most valuable IPs?
If that 4chan post is correct, it's more likely Konami signed some deal with Sony to let them develop games for those IPs compared to outright buying them. Maybe that got lost in translation/misinformed through the grapevine who knows.

Last edited:

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Sony should buy PES and a license from FIFA. EA FIFA will be reduced to oblivion and forced out of the picture

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I do believe the Silent Hill one, but all 3? Ehhhhh

I just don't see Konami getting that aggresive out of the blue.

Sony should buy PES and a license from FIFA. EA FIFA will be reduced to oblivion and forced out of the picture

Giving how sucessful FIFA is I don't see that ever happening. EA has to release on all platforms so Sony would need to do the same, essentially not giving Sony any benefit so why bother.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it's Sony instead of Konami, it sounds weird that Kojima would agree to be involved with Silent Hills & MGS again, and Iga with Castlevania. You'd think they'd want to work on their own games instead.

If this is true though, I'm really excited about the Castlevania games. Even more than that, I hope Konami/Sony consider reviving Suikoden next.
Speaking of: the director of Suikoden 1-3, Murayama, set up a twitter account just a week ago saying this year would be "full of new endeavors". Probably not related, but who knows!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Be shocked if Konami actually sold the I.Ps, the only way I could see that happening is Sony buying Konami, which isn't going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Konami are taking about working together on them in some capacity, Silent Hill (given P.T/SHs) and MGS (it's history with PlayStation and both being pretty dead at the moment) especially.

Last edited:

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Or Sony suddenly getting that obsessed with a bunch of Konami-specific IP. Why Konami? What would be the logic behind that?

To me the more logic, if there is any in this case, situation would be a Spider Man scenario.
Konami knows these IP are huge but they also know they are not up to them anymore...what happened? They looked for Sony and probably offered a licensing contract.
They still own the IP while they don't have to the take the risks on it and at the same time having one of the best publishers on the market to work on them.
Feels like a win win situation considering what Konami has done, or actually hasn't, with those titles recently.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
Why Konami would sell those IPs since they earning amount of money by making them into Pachinko(and trolling some fans for fun).

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why Sony would want this to happen, even though there might be no truth what so ever to this. I mean, looking how services will be strong moving forward, owning these IP would be of great benefit.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, baby, while you're at it, license Suikoden as well as Shadow Hearts from Universal Entertainment Corp. and Tenchu from From.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it predates any of the new SIE Silent Hill rumors. I wouldn't dismiss it entirely.

Again, you can post anything on 4chan any time and if another rumor pops up later you look like a hero. There's no risk. I could post a thing on 4chan about Sony buying Atlus and it would have just as much credibility.

4chan is not a place for news.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
And honestly, Sony would be extremely stupid to buy 3 dead IP like that when they have a full slate of their own and Konami isn't hurting for cash.

I don't know. I don't believe this "Sony buying all your favorite Konami IP" rumor at all, but they're only recently dead. MGSV sold big numbers, Castlevania's show (which is pretty awesome btw) has been a huge hit for Netflix, and people were going wild for Silent Hills before we learned it wasn't happening.

Sony could be looking for some real megatons right now since we're less than a year away from a new console generation, and this time Microsoft isn't going to do Sony's job for it and just self immolate. Maybe they would see the guarantee of x% user retention as worth the investment.

In a world where this rumor is true, I could see Sony putting SotN and RoB on PS4 as a test to gauge PS4 owners' interest in the IP.

I still don't believe it, though.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Again, you can post anything on 4chan any time and if another rumor pops up later you look like a hero. There's no risk. I could post a thing on 4chan about Sony buying Atlus and it would have just as much credibility.

4chan is not a place for news.
It inherently has some credibility because the 4chan post listed the SIE Silent Hill project, with the exact same info, prior to any of these new rumors. Are you just going to say it's pure coincidence? That's just dumb.

Credible leaks happen on 4chan all the time, just look at Bloodborne.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It inherently has some credibility because the 4chan post listed the SIE Silent Hill project, with the exact same info, prior to any of these new rumors. Are you just going to say it's pure coincidence? That's just dumb.

Credible leaks happen on 4chan all the time, just look at Bloodborne.

It's not the same info. "Sony is having IGA make a Castlevania and Kojima make a metal gear game" is fanboy wet dream drivel.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way Konami sells those IPs. I can see a partnership happening for a few games though

metal-gear-rising-revengeance-2_176vv.png
Lol

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's not just a megaton, that's a fucking ULTRATON if true. Thankfully, Sony seems to be more open to PC ports, so other people will probably get to try out those games, even if the ports are 1-2 years late.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Having both Silent Hill and Castlevania revived seems too good to be true.

Wouldn't be against witnessing the battle of '99 though.

If it's a reboot, the OG canon isn't being considered.

If IGA is involved, I question the reboot. He literally had an interview a year ago saying he'd like to work with Konami again because there were two games he didn't make that he felt he owed fans. The events of 1897 and 1999 are the biggest two missing holes in the Castlevania canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.