• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
According to reports, Silent Hills is in super duper early reproduction, while Silent Hill is one year and a half into it.

That means that, at most, we're getting 2 Silent Hill games in a span of 4 years between one another, and the first one comes out in about 2 years from now (March 2022?) and the next one three or four years later (2025-6?).

It's not that far fetched.

I just think that, like...

Silent Hill wasn't a blockbuster series, especially in 2013. It was a franchise long in decline. But P.T./Silent Hills was an absolute sensation that revived interest in Silent Hill. It went on to have a massive influence on gaming and set expectations for the horror genre that arguably haven't been met since. People were hungry for Silent Hills in a way they were not previously hungry for Silent Hill as a whole. People's interest in that abandoned project has remained very high, even half a decade later, and it makes sense that someone would want to capitalize on that interest and try to deliver the game we never got. It seems in this case it's Sony who is fully funding the venture, something that's a risk considering how high the expectations are. People went nuts for P.T., but we never actually saw the game Silent Hills might have been.

So considering this opportunity, wouldn't it make sense to make the "Kojima" Silent Hills project first?

Instead, they are soft rebooting the series first with what seems like an a really talented legacy team. I'm a Silent Hill fan so this is exciting and enticing to me, I'm not disappointed in this prospect at all. But what logic does it follow to capitalize on the continued interest in Kojima's Silent Hills by producing a different, unrelated game first? What if that game is not popular? And if it is popular, will people even want Silent Hills anymore?

I guess I'm not sure. It's hard for me to wrap my head around. After 7-8 years of interest in Silent Hills specifically, the first game to come out is not Silent Hills. So when Silent Hills does come out, how will they sell it? Will there be two concurrent and totally different Silent Hill series at once, like how Resident Evil does it? Resident Evil has the room to do that because they've built up an audience for both lots of different kinds of games within the same series over time. Silent Hill has not done that.

It's just not clicking for me. Silent Hills was already the soft reboot of the series that was meant to reinvigorate the brand. If you do that with a different game first, and likely a stylistically different one as well, then where does Silent Hills eventually fit in? Sony must really believe in Silent Hill to be investing this much in to the series when the market is totally untested.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Instead, they are soft rebooting the series first with what seems like an a really talented legacy team. I'm a Silent Hill fan so this is exciting and enticing to me, I'm not disappointed in this prospect at all. But what logic does it follow to capitalize on the continued interest in Kojima's Silent Hills by producing a different, unrelated game first? What if that game is not popular? And if it is popular, how will Silent Hills fit in to it?
I don't think there's a lot of glamour in the explanation, just a chain of events.

Silent Hills wasn't happening. The Konami deal happened, the traditional Silent Hill was greenlit, time passed , Kojima was up to make a horror game, as you said PT was a success, Sony saw the opportunity, Kojima was up to it, Konami was already open to work with Sony, Silent Hills was greenlit too, then Silent Hill was not canceled because it's probably going great.

Sounds like a lot of luck, and all signs point to it indeed happening, so lucky us.

At most, I expect Silent Hills to be more "tonally consistent" with the series soft reboot now, if barely.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't think there's a lot of glamour in the explanation, just a chain of events.

Silent Hills wasn't happening. The Konami deal happened, the traditional Silent Hill was greenlit, time passed , Kojima was up to make a horror game, as you said PT was a success, Sony saw the opportunity, Kojima was up to it, Konami was already open to work with Sony, Silent Hills was greenlit too, then Silent Hill was not canceled because it's probably going great.

Sounds like a lot of luck, and all signs point to it indeed happening, so lucky us.

At most, I expect Silent Hills to be more "to ally consistent" with the series soft reboot, if barely.
Fair enough, honestly. That's the most reasonable explanation. You're right that there is probably no master plan here, just good fortune for fans.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is a remake of the first Silent Hill out of question? Start with that and the the Kojima one. Get people back into Silent Hill by showing us an updated take, maybe improve on some story beats, improve the lore that is now super expanded and then have Silent Hills. Alien. Aliens. That's my take.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
After so many shit Silent Hill games followed by the death of the franchise (pull the lever!!)
I'm not sure if I want Silent Hill to come back.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Think about it, if the series becomes a success again...

At some point they're gonna remake Silent Hill 2

And it's gonna be glorious

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I just think that, like...

Silent Hill wasn't a blockbuster series, especially in 2013. It was a franchise long in decline. But P.T./Silent Hills was an absolute sensation that revived interest in Silent Hill. It went on to have a massive influence on gaming and set expectations for the horror genre that arguably haven't been met since. People were hungry for Silent Hills in a way they were not previously hungry for Silent Hill as a whole. People's interest in that abandoned project has remained very high, even half a decade later, and it makes sense that someone would want to capitalize on that interest and try to deliver the game we never got. It seems in this case it's Sony who is fully funding the venture, something that's a risk considering how high the expectations are. People went nuts for P.T., but we never actually saw the game Silent Hills might have been.

So considering this opportunity, wouldn't it make sense to make the "Kojima" Silent Hills project first?

Instead, they are soft rebooting the series first with what seems like an a really talented legacy team. I'm a Silent Hill fan so this is exciting and enticing to me, I'm not disappointed in this prospect at all. But what logic does it follow to capitalize on the continued interest in Kojima's Silent Hills by producing a different, unrelated game first? What if that game is not popular? And if it is popular, will people even want Silent Hills anymore?

I guess I'm not sure. It's hard for me to wrap my head around. After 7-8 years of interest in Silent Hills specifically, the first game to come out is not Silent Hills. So when Silent Hills does come out, how will they sell it? Will there be two concurrent and totally different Silent Hill series at once, like how Resident Evil does it? Resident Evil has the room to do that because they've built up an audience for both lots of different kinds of games within the same series over time. Silent Hill has not done that.

It's just not clicking for me. Silent Hills was already the soft reboot of the series that was meant to reinvigorate the brand. If you do that with a different game first, and likely a stylistically different one as well, then where does Silent Hills eventually fit in? Sony must really believe in Silent Hill to be investing this much in to the series when the market is totally untested.
Personally I think we would have got Kojima's take on Silent Hills first if Death Stranding production and sales went better. Just basing this on what Dusk and other insiders have commented on.

To me it seems like Sony is letting Kojima make a smaller VR Silent Hill game which will be partially funded by Konami and will give the bigger budget to the OG Team Silent members. I dont think Sony or Konami really want Kojima to run free with budget anymore but still trust his ability to put together something smaller and compelling for the series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why? The only problem I could see is the voice acting. And for that I say fuck it, keep it the same.

Like Sign My Guestbook! said, SH2 needs to be left alone. That game won't be "improved" by a remake. Some games are better when they're symbolic of a specific time in gaming, rather than being constantly updated to look prettier.

They should be telling new stories, not repackaging old ones.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Like Sign My Guestbook! said, SH2 needs to be left alone. That game won't be "improved" by a remake. Some games are better when they're symbolic of a specific time in gaming, rather than being constantly updated to look prettier.

Ehhhh, I see where you're coming from but I really dont think SH2s greatness relies so heavily on when it was released. I feel the game itself is just that great. Great enough in fact that bringing it forward in graphical fidelity while staying true to the original aesthetics(ala SOTC...in most parts) would be just as good an experience as the original.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018

I'm sorry but SH's story and craft and telling it is too good not to be taken seriously. And sadly the visual presentation, specially that of ingame human models (because the cgi cutscenes are great).

A great Silent Hill 2 remake would mostly try to achieve (and improve!) the look of the cgi cutscenes in game and polish the controls. Not a hard task for a passionate studio that understands the work.

More of a AAA Remaster, like Crash and SOTC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but SH's story and craft and telling it is too good not to be taken seriously. And sadly the visual presentation, specially that of ingame human models (because the cgi cutscenes are great).

A great Silent Hill 2 remake would mostly try to achieve (and improve!) the look of the cgi cutscenes in game and polish the controls. Not a hard task for a passionate studio that understands the work.

I'm sorry, but like others have said in the thread, the series needs to stop relying on James Sunderland like a crutch.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm sorry, but like others have said in the thread, the series needs to stop relying on James Sunderland like a crutch.
Absolutely. That's why the remake of the originals is being treated as an eventual wish and not an immediate request. They have very much to prove, but now that we're getting two modern games that will start the ball rolling, an eventual revisiting of the classics years down the line wouldn't be out of the question.

The original SH's are legendary, and they will be revisited in the case of a successful return of the franchise.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Kinda hope Kojima is making another original IP honestly... I don't really understand this obsession with sequels, remakes whatever.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm fine with them not remaking silent hill early games, but a competent remaster on current gen/next gen consoles would be great.

Funny the guy all about only gaming on sony consoles telling people to just go play the pc version

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
What big game has Japan studio made that sold really well?
Knack, lol. And production wise Bloodborne.
Making a good Silent Hill game will do more for Japan Studio than any original IP they could come up with on their own. That is one studio needs a commercial hit by any means necessary.

Aside from giving them experience on AAA I see no advantage to japan studio there. The lower budgeted games seem intentional and we have no idea what Sony expectations with japan studio really are.

They become known and beloved as the studio that saved Silent Hill. Their profile Will be raised making people (especially horror fans) way more likely to support whatever they do next.

No, it will be the complete opposite. If there is a successful Silent Hill game it will be remembered as Silent HIll and nothing more. This is an advantage for Konami if anything. People will look forward a new Silent Hill and not care what japan studio is doing since its not that. Thats is my problem with this rumor. Once the deal is done there can be no sequel or any growth. Sony has no control over it. And while ResetEra may appreciate japan studio in this case the average consumer wont.

Im with PlanetSmasher on this one.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

More of a AAA Remaster, like Crash and SOTC.

Crash and PS4 SOTC are full blown remakes. Remasters are upscaled resolutions with potential frame rate improvements.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Weren't they on Steam?
IIRC the only Silent Hill game on Steam is Homecoming.

The total inaccessibility of the Silent Hill series has been one of its biggest issues for many years, especially in the case of 4. To the common consumer these games simply cannot be played and these old discs are going to succumb to bit rot sooner than later.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
You misunderstand my intentions. I care about Sony making exclusives for their damn hardware, not wasting resources (meaning PEOPLE, and yes, money) on developing a third party's games for them for projects that will inevitably go to other hardware.

I would rather KONAMI revive Silent Hill and actually start giving a shit about making games again so that we could get Silent Hill back AND Sony could continue to support their hardware with new IP instead of having Sony do all the work for Konami and making less exclusive games as a result.
How in the blue hell do you know the game will not be exclusive? MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive. Bayonetta is still a Nintendo exclusive.

Also why on Earth would anyone want for Konami to make the game. Like what's wrong with you?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How in the blue hell do you know the game will not be exclusive? MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive. Bayonetta is still a Nintendo exclusive.

Also why on Earth would anyone want for Konami to make the game. Like what's wrong with you?

I want Konami to IMPROVE. Sony shouldn't be foregoing making their own games to help Konami.

Oct 26, 2017
I want Konami to IMPROVE. Sony shouldn't be foregoing making their own games to help Konami.
Konami is never gonna improve.

They've shifted their interest away from AAA and console games completely.

They saw the money mobile and pachinko games made and never went back. Lots of their old staff is gone and they haven't gotten anyone to replace them. Unless mobile gaming crashes, they have no incentive to dive back in unless someone is paying to use their IPs.

That's just the reality of it all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Konami is never gonna improve.

They've shifted their interest away from AAA and console games completely.

They saw the money mobile and pachinko games made and never went back. Lots of their old staff is gone and they haven't gotten anyone to replace them. Unless mobile gaming crashes, they have no incentive to dive back in unless someone is paying to use their IPs.

That's just the reality of it all.

Pachinko IS in decline.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Konami is improving by handing out the licence to Sony. Just like Marvel and the Spider-Man IP improved by handing out the licence to Sony.

Konami is not magically going to start developing quality AAA console titles because you want them to.

At some point you have to face reality. This is the only way for silent hill fans to get a quality game in the franchise. This is a win-win-win situation for everyone. Sony is profiting from that, Konami is profiting from that but most importantly fans are benefiting from that.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt we're getting a remake of the original. Ito has said in the past that he's not interested in doing remakes and would only work on the series for a new entry.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I really doubt we're getting a remake of the original. Ito has said in the past that he's not interested in doing remakes and would only work on the series for a new entry.

I'm not sure why people are clamoring for remakes of the original. It's damn near perfect as it is and would just be a huge waste of resources. Plus, a lot of us are so tired of the cult story that retreading that ground would just be unnecessary and lazy.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'll throw out there I've heard pretty specifically this isn't a remake. I don't know anything about the story or the like, except soft reboot is how it's described and making it so it could be people's first Silent Hill game and they'd be golden, they want to make it clear to folks they don't need to have played past games to play this one.

This is more my own conjecture, but I suspect those involved want to revitalize Silent Hill and make a new game with a new vision rather than remake the original SH.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll throw out there I've heard pretty specifically this isn't a remake. I don't know anything about the story or the like, except soft reboot is how it's described and making it so it could be people's first Silent Hill game and they'd be golden, they want to make it clear to folks they don't need to have played past games to play this one.

This is more my own conjecture, but I suspect those involved want to revitalize Silent Hill and make a new game with a new vision rather than remake the original SH.

Yeah. That said, every Silent Hill game except 3 is like that, so basically it's just another game in the series.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That said, every Silent Hill game except 3 is like that, so basically it's just another game in the series.
Indeed, though I think this is also why at least for the moment they're considering just calling it "Silent Hill", rather than Silent Hil: Something or Another, or go back to a number, to make it clear to even a casual audience they can start with this entry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, though I think this is also why at least for the moment they're considering just calling it "Silent Hill", rather than Silent Hil: Something or Another, or go back to number, to make it clear to casual audience they can start with this entry.

Makes sense. Not an elegant way to do it, but it makes sense.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It wouldnt surprise me at all if the Silent Hill reboot is marketed as a mainline game by the original team(that is probably going to be used as a marketing term) and Silent Hills by Kojima as a sort of spin off. The silent hill reboot is most likely a 3rd person game while Silent Hills is obviously a 1st person game.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope Silent Hills also gets made, only for the possibility to put P.T. back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.