• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
eh, the state of play thing is kind of a flop when it comes to reaching outside of their most loyal consumers. that said, any event they throw about the next console will get coverage...

there's not that many opportunities to showcase yourself where generalized consumers who may consider themselves "gamers" tune in. Even though we've evolved past the needs for a trade shows for gaming in some ways, it still has a place in viewership/social media that isn't easy to get on your own. not using the platform at all is a waste.

This is basically where I'm at.

Personally I'd prefer an E3 conference to their own event, Sony basically bailing on all events for a year was terrible either way.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What would be the point of doing a "we did one too, but it's not part of E3!" conference? Just to save money on having a booth? Making sure that nobody gets to play the games?
You realise I'm talking about hosting a proper PSX in June, right? Not just a conference. So plenty of people would get to play the games, probably far more than would play them at E3 (though it's not like Sony lets anyone play most of their big games at E3 anyway). And they'd be able to feature far more games than they have for the last few years because they wouldn't have to put up with the ESA's awful organising.

Others have shown you that the attendance didn't really go down much and we all know the turnout would be huge this year with new systems arriving but it's clear you can't hold it together. There is no place for hostility or rudeness when we are speaking about games of all things. To the ignore list you shall go.
This is rich coming from the guy who accusing anyone who disagreed with him of being fanboys while not addressing a single one of their points. Ok guy, goodbye.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This past E3 was weak to begin and folks went into it knowing that. Not only was sony not there, but folks knew that MS would barely show Halo Infinite. The next Gears and Forza will be bigger titles than the last ones. Their next E3 will be bigger. The same could be said for Bethesda that should finally begin to show nextgen titles. Ubisoft will have a heavier show probably too. Sony will use E3 to showcase games for the console coming out months later.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer they do a PSX and give the public a chance to play PS5 games before it comes out.

I miss PSX. It was my favorite Con.

Shoutout to my PSX peeps!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Jason Schreier also expects Sony to skip E3 in favor of their own big PS5 event(s)

Having just a Summer PSX and a Winter PSX, maybe one in the US and one in EU (they danced around the idea of doing one there iirc), packed of stuff would be amazing.

Add in a few SoPs around other events (GC/PGW/TGS) and they're set.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
If Sony drops E3 in a hardware release year, then E3 is dead (and has been heading that way for a while). Thanks to Nintendo directs and by proxy the rise of State of Plays and Inside Xbox (though those aren't nearly as good), there's almost no reason to do a press showcase of upcoming games. Hell, there's no reason to do a live press conference anymore.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder where that leaves Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, etc, if E3 eventually goes the way of the dodo.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They wont' announce they're skipping E3, they'll just announce their own thing.
giphy47d9x.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bit surprised it's seemingly true. Though I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given what they (well Layden) said regarding why they skipped last year and how it's a bit pointless and inconvenient. I guess I'm more surprised they actually meant it than anything.
What he said can be read here.
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "The world has changed, but E3 hasn't necessarily changed with it"

Sony's absence from E3 in 2019, though speculated as a bit of a buffer year while the company prepares for something mu…

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
As a developer E3 severely messes up your development cycle with 6+ months of development time eaten up by trying to create a game play segment or trailer worthy clips when you don't have a polished final part of game, resources are pulled from your area to get this thing ready for this specific date it's always a hindrance to your project timeline. Not having a trade show that is set the same time every year helps with this and you can show things when they are ready, or a publisher can set and event when they have enough games all ready to show.
Also added to this E3 costs a huge amount of money, and there is a dice roll as to who is seen to have ''won it'' all sorts of reasons it could go badly for a company. Wgy risk this kind of negative reception if the other company pulls out a megaton or a few other trailers?
Would be interesting to see the metrics of people who watch it live vs the people who watch the stream or just even the trailers by themselves else where (due to convenience or time zones etc). If the ratio is strongly in favor of less people watching for the first time live then why go to all that expense and not just have your own stream. I am not suggesting that live shows like E3 are not fun or are dead or that Sony will forsake them, I am just trying to look at it objectively as to why someone like Sony permanently skipping E3 is probably not a bad idea. A mix of state of play style events and one off shows whenever they want seems to be a better bet. Also if it doesn't work out over next few years E3 organizers are not gonna stop them from returning.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
ugh. i cringe at the thought of E3 dying. I just want a week of hype and a lot of games each year.

Why do so many folks want this thing to die? Just dont tune in if you dont care for it. I want gameplays, trailers, interviews, and more. I hope that Sony and MS both continue to do it among other events and trade shows. Waiting for State of Plays and Directs is fine, but I really want them to continue with the E3 and TGS and Gamescom shows and others.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
If PlayStation choose their own event I hope it's scheduled sometime in June. I enjoy watching events unfold within hours/days of each other.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
ugh. i cringe at the thought of E3 dying. I just want a week of hype and a lot of games each year.

Why do so many folks want this thing to die? Just dont tune in if you dont care for it. I want gameplays, trailers, interviews, and more. I hope that Sony and MS both continue to do it among other events and trade shows. Waiting for State of Plays and Directs is fine, but I really want them to continue with the E3 and TGS and Gamescom shows and others.

The ESA's a supposedly a nightmare to deal with these days. Leaking personal info and also just commercializing E3 in concerning ways. No one seems too confident in how they're handling things now and could get worse in the future.

I think their own event seems to be the better move.

Status
Not open for further replies.