• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I don't care whether they skip E3 for their own show or not, but they need to start doing live events again and give it a rest with these State of Play videos. I guess they do their job when your company is having a bit of a quiet year in preparation for what's ahead, but now that the PS5 is likely weeks away from getting its own conference, it's time to put SoP to sleep.

Oh, and at this rate, E3 definitely needs Sony more than Sony needs E3. The PlayStation brand is too big to ignore now and Sony could totally setup their own gig at around June/July. It wouldn't make any difference.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
An SoP like the last with a REmake3 announcement, first Babylon's Fall gameplay or a new impressive Ghost of Tsushima trailer can easily compare with the quality of a Nin direct.....

Edit:
The more impressive GoT trailer was at TGA but at least they announced it at SoP xD
What you are saying is the games can compare, there is no argument there. They can show Ghost of Tsushima at the Avengers screening if they really wanted to instead and still got a great reaction. What I am talking about is appearances and shows. Did anyone see Jim Ryan at CES? It was stale and lifeless as he spent most of his time promoting the PS4 success. So maybe it is good Sony doesn't do E3 shows because the last one was boring as hell too but the games looked great. So maybe just putting out State of Play videos is good enough but they are not exciting at all. At least Nintendo Direct have that quirky Nintendo charm to them.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They can and they would get the same attention they would get from E3.
But honestly I would like them to be at E3 just for the sake of E3 still being relevant as it was once.
With that being said having their own event one month after E3 could be a really great strategic move.
At what time of the year last year we had the confirmation Sony wasn't going to attend it ?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can and they would get the same attention they would get from E3.
But honestly I would like them to be at E3 just for the sake of E3 still being relevant as it was once.
With that being said having their own event one month after E3 could be a really great strategic move.
At what time of the year last year we had the confirmation Sony wasn't going to attend it ?

November 2018

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If that's true very disappointing for the industry.
E3 has always been an event for gamers, it's an arrogant move if you ask me. I've always tuned in to all the major shows to watch because they were so close together.

That is if it's even true to begin with.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's incredibly disappointing. The magic of the reveal of the God of War orchestra and eventual demo can't be matched in a silly state of play prerecorded video.

I don't think it's wise from a business standpoint either. Microsoft alone on stage showing 1 hour of next gen promotional advertisements and a blow in the wind in terms of a response?

Cutting costs Sony is lame. Go big or go home, this is a console launch. A wired article isn't going to cut it.

If they do their own event, let's hope it doesn't resemble the previous E3 they did.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The return or PSX in the Spring or Summer would be bigger than an E3 Press Conference, especially if they did it that weekend. Look at what Geoff is bringing in with The Game Awards. This isn't 1997 when E3 was the end-all-be-all.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's incredibly disappointing. The magic of the reveal of the God of War orchestra and eventual demo can't be matched in a silly state of play prerecorded video.

I don't think it's wise from a business standpoint either. Microsoft alone on stage showing 1 hour of next gen promotional advertisements and a blow in the wind in terms of a response?

Cutting costs Sony is lame. Go big or go home, this is a console launch. A wired article isn't going to cut it.

If they do their own event, let's hope it doesn't resemble the previous E3 they did.

That doesn't compute imo.

Their last E3 was made the way it was because people loved the God of War reveal so much. Sony thought "we can top that. Let's have a room that looks like the room in the trailer from the Last of Us 2. People will be so confused and love it when they finally get it...".

I'm all for a big show and dance but that could easily be done outside of e3 with a stream or prerecorded video.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What you are saying is the games can compare, there is no argument there. They can show Ghost of Tsushima at the Avengers screening if they really wanted to instead and still got a great reaction. What I am talking about is appearances and shows. Did anyone see Jim Ryan at CES? It was stale and lifeless as he spent most of his time promoting the PS4 success. So maybe it is good Sony doesn't do E3 shows because the last one was boring as hell too but the games looked great. So maybe just putting out State of Play videos is good enough but they are not exciting at all. At least Nintendo Direct have that quirky Nintendo charm to them.
What you just described is pretty much every Sony CES conference (except that one where Kaz got Media Molecule to design all the graphics), so I can only assume this year was the first you've watched. That's usually the place where Sony Corp talks up how successful the PlayStation is to all the non-gaming media in attendance (which is why I don't bother watching them, I can read the sales numbers later), so the fact we got a PS5 logo on top of the sales numbers this year was actually mind blowing stuff. But I don't see what that has to do with anything. Sony Corp and SIE are two different divisions that handle presentations completely differently, it isn't an indication of what they're going to do at all. That's like watching a Windows presentation and expecting the next Xbox E3 conference to follow suit.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be very lame if true. I had (and still do until it's confirmed) thought that 2019 was an exception due to how few exciting things Sony had for the PS4 and as a result the cost cutting made sense, á la Nintendo in 2016. But more years like 2019 would suck. They went like several month between their most exciting games getting any info and even then they even were quick to follow that up with disappointing news (TLOU delay for example). Was hoping for much better this year than those State of Plays.

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017

What makes you think that what Sony shows at its E3 events (or its own events) are not promotional advertisements?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What you just described is pretty much every Sony CES conference (except that one where Kaz got Media Molecule to design all the graphics), so I can only assume this year was the first you've watched. That's usually the place where Sony Corp talks up how successful the PlayStation is to all the non-gaming media in attendance (which is why I don't bother watching them, I can read the sales numbers later), so the fact we got a PS5 logo on top of the sales numbers this year was actually mind blowing stuff. But I don't see what that has to do with anything. Sony Corp and SIE are two different divisions that handle presentations completely differently, it isn't an indication of what they're going to do at all. That's like watching a Windows presentation and expecting the next Xbox E3 conference to follow suit.
All I'm saying is State off Play and now the CES talking about Playstation we're both lifeless. I did not expect much of anything at CES at that is exactly what happened. A logo is mindblowing? Ok now wet are really setting the bar low.

E3 should be about the fans and developers all gathered together. Its fun, no need to remove that just to save money and Sony can still do they're own event another time.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
All I'm saying is State off Play and now the CES talking about Playstation we're both lifeless. I did not expect much of anything at CES at that is exactly what happened. A logo is mindblowing? Ok now wet are really setting the bar low.

E3 should be about the fans and developers all gathered together. Its fun, no need to remove that just to save money and Sony can still do they're own event another time.
I don't think State of Play's are lifeless at all. They've had their flaws but they've gotten better with each attempt.

Calling the logo mind blowing was obviously hyperbole, I was just reiterating that it was far bigger PlayStation news than Sony ever announces at CES. I don't need to set the bar low when Sony themselves have set it low at CES for the last 20 years.

You're looking at E3 with some really powerful rose tinted glasses. I have no idea where you got the idea that E3's about fans and developers all gathered together. E3 isn't a developer event (that's GDC) or a fan event (by all accounts, it's far worse than PAX or Gamescom in that regard), it's a mess trying to be a trade event, media event and fan event all in one. And you can tell by how unhappy publishers (like Sony) and attendees are with it that it just isn't working. Just look at how much attendance was down last year. What E3's really about to me is the main source of funding for the ESA, the people who, when they're not doxing thousands of journalists, are lobbying the US government in favour of lootboxes. It's about devs crunching for weeks or months to get their E3 builds done on time. It's about journalists dragging themselves from preview session to preview session for three straight days. It's about fans lining up all day just to play one game. None of that is worth the week-long deluge of gaming news IMO, especially since that's been drying up more and more for years anyway.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Compare this to Company's actually attending so you know why they need to save money.
You're moving goalposts, it's not important whether they're making more or less money than the competition in this conversation. Your initial post stated that their profits merely equal out the revenue which isn't true, they've had their best year in the history of the company. And that's with the PlayStation division leading the fray which only would give them more reasons to attend E3. They're not the struggling company they once used to be, they haven't been for quite some time now.

But I guess if we're talking about which gaming divisions can "afford" to spend money on an E3 attendance then I guess you've seen this:
www.ign.com

PlayStation Network Revenue Hit Record High in 2018, Topped Nintendo and Xbox Totals - IGN

With over 90 million active users, PSN continues to generate record-setting amounts of revenue for Sony.

They make a lot of dumb and questionable decisions over there at Sony, but if they think an E3 live presentation will make sense to them then they will be present and have one of the biggest booths too (together with Microsoft and Nintendo of course). They definitely can afford that.

But, feel free to show why Sony cannot afford to attend the E3 and why others can, I could be wrong in all that I'm saying but I have yet to see any sources to back up your claim.

Last edited:

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
LOL E3 lost it charm when Sony isn't attending. It was Xbox vs PS rivalry which makes E3 worthwhile. Sony presence actually help Xbox recognitions among others things. Having Sony doing it's own is actually a really smart move - I mean just a showing a PS5 logo drives people outside Resetera bubble nuts.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
They can do whatever they want and they'll still have millions of people clamoring after their games and systems. E3 needs Sony more than Sony needs E3. I actually do hope they come back though, it's exciting watching their press conferences.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So shouldn't we know already if they are attending or not ?
Or we knew because they said so instead of the organization given the information ?
If it's not by Sony when would know from ESA this information?

I think we would know by now if they're not attending, so at least for now there's a slightly bigger chance they do go to E3.

And it was Sony themselves who said they weren't going in November and insiders already heard rumours before that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
E3 is constantly accelerating towards complete irrelevance as far as on-stage presentations go with one exception. Console releases. It's probably the one and only time the console makers will benefit from a stage presentation that people will care to tune in and watch. I can't see them skipping this year's E3 if Microsoft is doing a stage presentation for the Xbox Series X.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
E3 is more of a formality but the Sony Nintendo directs just haven't been events, so until we have one it's hard not to be kinda cynical

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
If they do their own event i dont mind it, but not having anything as they did in 2019, that seems really bad when u are launching your new console in less than 6 months

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
User Warned: Platform wars
Shocking to me how many people "hate" E3 even though it's like the one event every single gamer should enjoy. Has nothing to do with fanboys gurgling Sony balls, nope

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
E3 is already dead. Ms do their own shit across the road, Nintendo do a video, Sony clearly didn't hurt from not attending last year. EA did an EA and Bethesda was awful. Who cares. Let them all do their own thing instead of following others.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't think State of Play's are lifeless at all. They've had their flaws but they've gotten better with each attempt.

Calling the logo mind blowing was obviously hyperbole, I was just reiterating that it was far bigger PlayStation news than Sony ever announces at CES. I don't need to set the bar low when Sony themselves have set it low at CES for the last 20 years.

You're looking at E3 with some really powerful rose tinted glasses. I have no idea where you got the idea that E3's about fans and developers all gathered together. E3 isn't a developer event (that's GDC) or a fan event (by all accounts, it's far worse than PAX or Gamescom in that regard), it's a mess trying to be a trade event, media event and fan event all in one. And you can tell by how unhappy publishers (like Sony) and attendees are with it that it just isn't working. Just look at how much attendance was down last year. What E3's really about to me is the main source of funding for the ESA, the people who, when they're not doxing thousands of journalists, are lobbying the US government in favour of lootboxes. It's about devs crunching for weeks or months to get their E3 builds done on time. It's about journalists dragging themselves from preview session to preview session for three straight days. It's about fans lining up all day just to play one game. None of that is worth the week-long deluge of gaming news IMO, especially since that's been drying up more and more for years anyway.
Attendance will go up if Sony attends, that I guarantee. Of course it went down when one of the biggest draws for the past 20 years never came. It's always been an exciting event prior to last year.

It appears some of you will just support any decision they make and if Sony does attend I am sure most would not be against it and will be right here commenting about it.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Attendance will go up if Sony attends, that I guarantee. Of course it went down when one of the biggest draws for the past 20 years never came. It's always been an exciting event prior to last year.

It appears some of you will just support any decision they make and if Sony does attend I am sure most would not be against it and will be right here commenting about it.
I've been down on E3 for a few years now, so you can kindly fuck off with those accusations of bias and maybe actually try to address the points I made. I wanted to believe the ESA could turn E3 into something that's relevant but the attempts to do so have been a mess and more and more has come out of how shitty the ESA are, so I'm perfectly fine with it going away.

And you do realise what I'm hoping for is for Sony to pull an EA and have a not-E3 PSX that same week, right? You'd still get your Sony conference, it just wouldn't officially be part of E3.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been down on E3 for a few years now, so you can kindly fuck off with those accusations of bias and maybe actually try to address the points I made. I wanted to believe the ESA could turn E3 into something that's relevant but the attempts to do so have been a mess and more and more has come out of how shitty the ESA are, so I'm perfectly fine with it going away.

And you do realise what I'm hoping for is for Sony to pull an EA and have a not-E3 PSX that same week, right? You'd still get your Sony conference, it just wouldn't officially be part of E3.

What would be the point of doing a "we did one too, but it's not part of E3!" conference? Just to save money on having a booth? Making sure that nobody gets to play the games?

Oct 25, 2017
So shouldn't we know already if they are attending or not ?
Or we knew because they said so instead of the organization given the information ?
If it's not by Sony when would know from ESA this information?

Sony really doesn't need to say anything. Do they need to say every year now whether they are going or not? They didn't go last year, so its assumed they won't be back this year.

Same like PSX 2019.

Where is the info saying they won't have a PSX 2019? No where. Because they didn't have a PSX 2018, so they figure they don't need to say there'll be a psx 2019.

Right now its just a wait and see.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
eh, the state of play thing is kind of a flop when it comes to reaching outside of their most loyal consumers. that said, any event they throw about the next console will get coverage...

there's not that many opportunities to showcase yourself where generalized consumers who may consider themselves "gamers" tune in. Even though we've evolved past the needs for a trade shows for gaming in some ways, it still has a place in viewership/social media that isn't easy to get on your own. not using the platform at all is a waste.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Others have shown you that the attendance didn't really go down much and we all know the turnout would be huge this year with new systems arriving but it's clear you can't hold it together. There is no place for hostility or rudeness when we are speaking about games of all things. To the ignore list you shall go.

Status
Not open for further replies.