• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If it's the Sonic 30th Anniversary collection. Keep in mind the first Sonic game on Genesis came out in 1991, So the timing would suggest a 2021 release.

It wouldn't make sense to signify a 30th anniversary without factoring the origin of the series and only considering the 3D releases.

I could see it being a "Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2020" situation and launch in the holiday season. Kinda makes a lot of sense to go that route, then it's on sale throughout the entire anniversary year.

source.gif

Some of them outright get hired to do alternate covers for the comics, complete with custom models

official___sonic_universe__76_variant_cover_by_elesis_knight_d91z8uu-fullview.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Are people here seriously clamoring for re-releases of 06, Secret Rings and Black Knight? Like do you guys actually _like_ those games, or is this some sort of weird preservationist angle? Those games are pretty unanimously hated, I thought.

Post game Secret Rings is a top 3 3D Sonic.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Sonic movie has tricked me into thinking Sonic is cool again so I would get this depending on what it actually entailed.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, Unleashed, Colors and Generations and I'm sold.

Don't see Sonic Team doing Secret Rings, Black Knight, Shadow or 06 because they seem to want to forget those games ever existed.

While I would also love the classic games, I would also pain me that it would probably mean Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be skipped over again

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Eh SA1 and 2 are already on Steam and 360 (and X1 through BC), I think that's good enough for me if this is the modern games. Speaking as someone who's played all of and enjoy most of the 3D Sonic games, most of them aren't worth revisiting.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Are people here seriously clamoring for re-releases of 06, Secret Rings and Black Knight? Like do you guys actually _like_ those games, or is this some sort of weird preservationist angle? Those games are pretty unanimously hated, I thought.

Secret Rings is legitimately good. It's got a slow start due to having to unlock most of his abilities, and of course it's brought down a bit by slightly finicky Wiimote controls, but it's a genuinely good game regardless. I did a replay a while back and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, a port with a standard control scheme would be well received IMO.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
If it's the Sonic 30th Anniversary collection. Keep in mind the first Sonic game on Genesis came out in 1991, So the timing would suggest a 2021 release.

It wouldn't make sense to signify a 30th anniversary without factoring the origin of the series and only considering the 3D releases.
Wait, what's a Genesis?

Yeah, I refuse to acknowledge that name in a positive or even neutral manner.

Even so, I don't doubt Sega will be doing something for Sonic's 30th year, but given what folks have said here, grain of salt and all that.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Post game Secret Rings is a top 3 3D Sonic.

Isn't the post-game Secret Rings just grinding for experience?

Secret Rings is the only one out of the three (notably, it's the only one that got decent reviews in its time) that I have personally had the misfortune to experience. I'm shocked that I even stomached it enough to reach the end credits. Granted, given its competition, "top 3 3d Sonic" game isn't exactly effusive praise...

Dario

Oct 27, 2017
I struggle to believe that something like this is even possible for SEGA to do considering how many times they've attempted to port Sonic Adventure and have failed to do so correctly like every time.

Doing that with more 3D games across so many console generations seems like far too high expectations.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Still, a collection for the 30th anniversary is a bit of a no-brainer...
...which is exactly why Sonic Team won't do it. We can't have nice things. Sonic Mania 2 is a no-brainer, and look where we are...

The most you can hope for is another shitty boost game with a mobile endless runner tie-in.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...interesting omission there.

Not really? Sonic three has not been re released in over a decade and even skipped the mini. Only recent development is that beta leak that showed the PC songs are the original. Sega is fine with ignoring it in hopes the Jackson estate does not sure.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The Taxman ports of 2D Sonic on consoles would be amazing, but it probably will just be a lot of the 3D games.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe it but it'd be great. Finally people could play the best 3D Sonic game, Sonic Colours.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's not the only thing announced, can't say I'm that interested in a collection of games where the best was mediocre

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also:
current and next gen consoles.
PS5 and Xbox Series X are going to be backwards compatible. Unless there'd for some reason be stuff they couldn't do in current gen ports that they could in the next gen ports, there's not really a reason for Sega to make next gen versions of this supposed collection.

Dario

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the "Music album" part was cropped out of the poster. Now that sounds more likely. :P

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Include the 3D bit from Sonic Jam.

But yeah a Sonic "30th anniversary collection" that doesn't include all the Mega Drive games would be a travesty.

I don't think any of the 3D games are great, but Sonic Heroes would be alright to get on modern platforms. I get why it wasn't a favourite at release, but I actually think it holds up better than most of the other 3D games, several of which border on unplayable.

Edit: I wonder if they could include a version of Sonic 3D: Director's Cut

Sonic Jam was my introduction to Sonic, I remember that 3D section vividly. Would be a really cool extra to include.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also:

PS5 and Xbox Series X are going to be backwards compatible. Unless there'd for some reason be stuff they couldn't do in current gen ports that they could in the next gen ports, there's not really a reason for Sega to make next gen versions of this supposed collection.

I'm guessing a lot of games that come out over the holidays are going to have separate PS4/PS5 XB1/XSX SKUs, even if they'd both essentially be the same product (although I assume some discs will have higher res texture packs, not this theoretical Sonic collection though obviously). At some point it just comes down to making the product look new and shiny on store shelves. We kinda saw it with Assassin's Creed IV having PS3 and PS4 boxes during the last transition.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is totally bogus. Artists like BlueParax already make renders that easily look this good (and even then, I'd say Tails' render here actually looks pretty off), and as already mentioned the typography makes no sense - Japanese Sonic titles don't even use JP text for their main logos, the JP title is generally a small subtitle underneath. Feels more like they went for the old "JP text makes it authentic!" approach and it's backfired for those familiar like the franchise.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If true (which I doubt), then I hope that they use the following versions for these games, & not from either PS2 or PS3:

Sonic Adventure DX - Gamecube or Xbox 360.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Gamecube or Xbox 360.
Sonic Heroes & Shadow The Hedgehog - Gamecube or Xbox.
Sonic Riders - Gamecube, Xbox or Xbox 360.
Sonic 2006 - Xbox 360.
Sonic Unleashed & Generations - Xbox 360 or PC.

Oct 31, 2017
I'd be wary about buying into this. Sonic fans are notoriously good at making official looking renders/hoaxes.

There's also a post in that thread that dissects why this is most likely fake.

XKPTfCb.png

I haven't seen one legitimately convincing example. There's good fan renders but nothing even close to this. If this turns out to be fake I'll be shocked.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Looks super convincing but the Kanji just doesn't hold up.

No disrespect to those fanartists but this looks wayyyy above what they've made.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.