• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Y'all I'm not even joking. If this was true AND it included Sonic 06, it would be an instabuy for me.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
They'd just use his Generations design. That design is still in all merch style guides, and still used on the actual packaging and promo art for Mania itself (because it's just the original Ohshima version of Classic in 3D) - it would make no sense to deviate from it the one time that the Hesse design isn't used at all.

why must you dismantle my fantasy of sonic team actually doing something the fans would like for once

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
For me, my ideal sonic collection would be:

Sonic 1
Sonic 1 (MS ver)
Sonic 1 (Taxman ver)
Sonic 2
Sonic 2 (MS ver)
Sonic 2 (Taxman ver)
Sonic Chaos
Sonic CD
Sonic CD (Taxman ver)
Sonic 3&K (/w all lock on versions - S2&K, Blue Sphere)
Knuckles Chaotix

too early for Sonic Mania Plus to be in a collection I guess

You might as well just use the Taxman versions of Sonic 1, 2 & CD, as they're the definitive versions now.

Shame that he's not allowed to re-do Sonic 3 & Knuckles, too.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Other than the gimmies like 1-3 & Knuckles, CD, Mania Plus, Adventure 1 & 2, Colors, and Generations, in an ultimate collection, I'd want:

Unleashed (X360)
Pocket Adventure
Rush trilogy
Advance trilogy
Heroes
3D Blast (Saturn)
Knuckles' Chaotix
Secret Rings
Fighters
R
SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog
Tails Adventure
Tails Sky Patrol
Chaos
Triple Trouble
Sonic 1 & 2 (MS)
Riders 1 & 2

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4chan, insta fake, c'mon era

7VfEPWB.jpg

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are people here seriously clamoring for re-releases of 06, Secret Rings and Black Knight? Like do you guys actually _like_ those games, or is this some sort of weird preservationist angle? Those games are pretty unanimously hated, I thought.

I reckon secret rings could be a legitimately good game if they gave it an actual control scheme and tweaked the skill system so that you start off faster than he original version.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I would definitely be interested in this. Despite their issues, I have a soft spot for Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2. Hopefully, their versions in this theoretical collection would significantly improve upon their shortcomings.

Even if they didn't, though, I'd likely buy the collection and play them out of nostalgia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically if they do a 3D-only collection I think this is how it would look:

Adventure
Adventure 2
Heroes
Unleashed
Colors
Generations
Lost World

Maaaaaaaybe 06 if they want to play up its infamy, but I suspect they'd rather just ignore it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Chao farm smartphone game. Do that first, pleeeeease, Sega. I've got $100 of idiot MTX money to dump into that.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Just give me all of the 3D Sonic games. Including Secret Rings and Black Knight.

Leave nothing out, no matter how bad.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all I'm not even joking. If this was true AND it included Sonic 06, it would be an instabuy for me.
Same tbh. Im actually in a weird mood for 3D Sonic, and especially 06. I mean why not, every other modern collection includes the trash alongside everything else so Sega should follow suit.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Realistically if they do a 3D-only collection I think this is how it would look:

Adventure
Adventure 2
Heroes
Unleashed
Colors
Generations
Lost World

Maaaaaaaybe 06 if they want to play up its infamy, but I suspect they'd rather just ignore it.
They didn't ignore Sonic Labirinth and Sonic Blast in gems collection. They are awful and still there.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Well assuming from what I read a while ago, Heroes and Shadow may not have a chance due to the former writers of the comics (I hope I am wrong).
Ken penders has nothing to do with shadow so. You are wrong. Whether its included or not has nothing to do with previous comic writers

Wait why would Shadow not have a chance?

I swear if frickin Ken Penders is ruining something else for me...
He's gonna ruin a lot of shit but he's not ruining this

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't ignore Sonic Labirinth and Sonic Blast in gems collection. They are awful and still there.

Slapping some Game Gears ROMs into an emulator took less effort than an 06 port would take. Also, Labyrinth and Blast are bad but they're not "widely considered one of if not the worst video game ever made" bad.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, thanks for reminding me, SXSW starts soon!

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's some new editions of games. Like a 60 FPS version of a Generations, Unleashed, and Colors. I'd be super fucking hyped if it was those. Or even a collection of the taxman versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD since the 360 version of CD runs like ass on Xbox One.

I'd also like it to include Knuckles' Chaotix if it has older games. Yeah it's not that great, a 7/10 if being super generous, but the fact it hasn't been re-released once since 1995 is crazy to me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Shit, I really want this to be real; though I guess that depends on the games included (and in the case of the Adventure games, what versions are included).

Any indication from the original source if it'll just be 3D titles, or will 2D titles be included too? I'd easily take a collection of
  • Adventure
  • Adventure 2
  • Heroes
  • Shadow
  • Unleashed
  • Colors
  • Generations
  • Lost World
though that seems like A LOT of value for what I could see them positioning as a budget title, so they'd probably cut it down a bit. If 2D titles are brought into the equation, I just want Taxman's 1, 2 and CD (and it'd be a real treat if they work out something for 3&K, but I doubt it).

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
8304d060360de063d4df9f0fa65ffb1f632596d1r1-500-350v2_hq.jpg

Sega, add this, with online sharing...

I don't really keep up with everything Sonic, what's a "Taxman version"?

Sonic 1, 2 and CD with proper widescreen support (not streched) and some other enhancements, including new playable characters, fixed bugs and even cut content in the case of Sonic 2 (new stage, Hidden Palace zone).

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Can't say I care if this ends up being fake. I want a good and new 3D Sonic game this year, not a collection of the ones I have already played. Sonic Team still needs to get the series back on track with a quality new title.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I really want this to be real; though I guess that depends on the games included (and in the case of the Adventure games, what versions are included).

Any indication from the original source if it'll just be 3D titles, or will 2D titles be included too? I'd easily take a collection of
  • Adventure
  • Adventure 2
  • Heroes
  • Shadow
  • Unleashed
  • Colors
  • Generations
  • Lost World
though that seems like A LOT of value for what I could see them positioning as a value title, so they'd probably cut it down a bit. If 2D titles are brought into the equation, I just want Taxman's 1, 2 and CD (and it'd be a real treat if they work out something for 3&K, but I doubt it).

I think you're right that that's a lot of hypothetical potential value. Maybe split it down the middle; adventure collection containing adventure 1,2 heroes and shadow and boost collection containing unleashed, colours, generations and maybe secret rings (or lost world despite it playing very differently) , allowing them to be more budget prices separately.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They were updated re-releases of the old 2D games with modern enhancements such as widescreen support and 60fps, as well as some other extras. Taxman is the guy that worked on those, and he also worked on Mania as well.

All old games ran at 60 fps already, although the framerate of Sonic CD was iffy in some spots.

My favorite feature of the Taxman ports are the loops on Sonic CD tracks, which he used the SNCBNK loops in a lot of tracks (not in all though, wish I could know why).

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017

Adventure
Adventure 2
Heroes
Unleashed
Colors
Generations
Lost World

This feels like the most plausible list if it only consists of 3D Sonic entries.

I'd buy this if it gets a Switch release. Some of these would be amazing to play on the go.

It'd be an instant purchase if they included HD style enhancements and gameplay fixes. All of these games had potential set back by some weird decisions or glitches.

I'd love some of the 2D entries here too. Would be even happier if they include the Taxman versions. (And S3K if Sega let him go back and finish what he started)

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the Taxman versions if they can fix the crush detection in the games.

I really want Sonic 3D collection though. There's never been one before.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All old games ran at 60 fps already, although the framerate of Sonic CD was iffy in some spots.

My favorite feature of the Taxman ports are the loops on Sonic CD tracks, which he used the SNCBNK loops in a lot of tracks (not in all though, wish could know why).
I remember the old games would slow down when there was a lot of rings and enemies on screen.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The ultimate 3D Sonic collection for mainline games would be...
  • Adventure
  • Adventure 2
  • Heroes
  • Shadow
  • '06
  • Unleashed (360/PS3)
  • Unleashed (Wii)
  • Colors
  • Generations
  • Lost World
    • The Switch version retains the Zelda & Yoshi levels
Obviously, all of the games would run at 60fps if they didn't already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.