• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
http://cyberfanatix.com/2018/12/05/...e-king-of-fighters-xv-aimed-for-2020-release/

Today SNK held their first IPO conference where alongside the announcement of the estimate time releases of Samurai Shodown 7 and KOF 15, thay also confirmed that they will be using the new IPO funds to buy companies with videogame IP's, and that at the moment they are aiming at a game company based in the US.

I can't imagine which company would or could buy, but it seems that Phil Spencer and THQ Nordic will have some competition.

Also, in the conference SNK revealed that they sold 500k neo geo minis and the ratio of their business

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's really nice to see then doing so well.

I was worried when they were going to make a comeback in the console market.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow. I remember the dark times of the early 2000s, right after their bankruptcy and subsequent struggles. At that time, I'd never thought I'd ever read "SNK to buy [another company]" as a headline, even as a joke.

This is a good timeline.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
…. I really have nothing, here, lol. If it's them, their "Chinese Overlords" or whatever, this pretty much means we'd have another SNK Dev team.

… And what in the world would THAT lead to? They're crazy about pushing their IP forward. Oda revealed that he loves Assassin's Creed and would like to work on an RPG like Crystalis, and that he'd also like to work on something big and ambitious. Having western talent would definitely open the door to that.

Not that they need to be sold, but I'd love to see them get the talent of people like Wayforward and / or Yacht Club games. Oda and Kuroki never 100% say SNK would never do 2D again. They just say they look at each project, and try to decide if such a style would fit their vision and the game style better.

So having a western arm that could produce such a thing (since HD 2D seems pretty strong outside of Japan, surprisingly) would be... interesting.

Could this be why Jeanne is back in SNK Heroines? Oda always says that part of the reason characters are appearing there, is because they plan to make them more popular going forward. World Heroes would be a good IP that has SOME clout, but could be worked on by another team, without ticking people off. It's also a series that could easy grab further global representation within it's cast, which seems to be an important desire for SNK lately.

Heck, even having a company that'll make it easier for them to get modern-quality English dubs into their games, would be a big boon. This could all become very interesting...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a properly overseen western studio by a Japanese parent company.

Square-Enix fuckin' up every day of the week.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Considering their size and what they do, Lab Zero makes the most sense. And if that means that we can get a Skullgirls 2 I'm all in I'M ALL IN.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Never thought I see the day that SNK is becoming a top dog again.

DPLSW4pUIAAWmnR

Tales of King of Fighters

Never played it but a modern take of The King of Fighters Kyo would be pretty cool. I mean I can't imagine it being someone huge, but they'v definitely been on the attack recently.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea SNK was bank rolled by a "Chinese Overlord"(or maybe I did but forgot), makes their conservative release patterns even more weird. You'd think they could at least send enough funds their way to be abe to put games out on as many platforms on release.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
SNK doing great in terms of business = able to revive old IPs = warms my heart!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Very interested to see who they would consider. They might want to expand into more genres or get a more mobile-focused developer even.

I assume they would want to acquire someone that has an actual publishing arm in the west. Autumn Games immediately sprang to mind as they have a foothold in the business and own the Skullgirls IP. I love the suggestion of Mane6 too as that game has fantastic potential but is going nowhere currently.

I am loving this big SNK comeback! Never in my wildest dreams could I see this all happening.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Dunno what companies with IPs they would seek to purchase in the US, unless we're talking recent Indies with an old school mentality.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Dunno what companies with IPs they would seek to purchase in the US, unless we're talking recent Indies with an old school mentality.

What about the developers of that one fighting game that was a tribute to NGPC games? Forgot what it was called. Maybe they caught SNK's eye? I mean I don't want to get my hopes up that it's someone HUGE, someone really small makes sense. I'd love to be wrong though.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Their Chinese parent company is bigger than Microsoft.
I'm curious what chinese company is that? Does the chinese government have a stake in it? I'm asking because I don't think there are many public traded companies more valuable than MS but it would make sense if the chinese government had a p it (obviously), isn't it common in China for the government to own a lot of companies (a lot more common than in the west)?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: People unironically want a Indie dev that's doing fine for themselves to be bought out and chained to some washed up ass IP.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Only companies that I see as a fit would be lab zero and wayforward. I'd love to see a wayforward metal slug game