• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like something that never would have happened anyway. Like it was some idea Kojima had that would inevitably get cut in early stages of development anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Point me in the direction of the 'PT wasn't all that' club please.

At this point the game's mere mention conjures up something so strange and un-quantifiable in communities like this and other places it's hard to imagine talking about just the game.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think this work for me, because if I didn't know who it was texting me I would be genuinely concerned and not in a "fun" way.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I work in email spam protection and I wonder if we would even have allowed these emails through. Large quantities of unsolicited emails would generally get spam filtered.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
There was an old ass PC game where you signed away your info and would provide you video chat windows, mail, email, faxes, etc about a global conspiracy. I think the service died in two years or two months...

Yeah, I vaguely remember reading about that game during it's drum-up to launch. That was back in 2000-2001 IIRC.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
DS should've came with a social media app that notifies you about your structures likes then lol

Feb 24, 2018
Couldn't something like that easily backfire depending on how it was handled(how easy or obvious the waivers were, how threatening, creepy, stalkery the messages were, data collecting issues, lack of opt out features etc)?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I had an idea for a future VR horror game that used front-facing AR cameras to switch to a real life view at certain points in accordance to the game's story. Things could creep into your real environment for a moment or you could even glance at a mirror and see your own disfigured face.

Once people properly tap into VR/AR horror, Silent Hills will look like a birthday party scare in comparison.

Good thing Kojima also wants to do a VR project eventually.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That would've added absolutely nothing. I don't get scared from emails and texts.
See, I'm the exact opposite. If my phone rings, I immediately shove it in a drawer and take a two-hour bubble bath to calm down. This development would have vibrated my heart right out of my chest, even if I remembered to put it on silent.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
still would have nothing on Pony Island

the Steam chat moment legit made me do a double take, one of my favorite moments in a game ever.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I can imagine how this would actually play out.

"Who keeps texting you?"
"Oh ... it's my video game."
"Haha yeah ok."
"I'm serious! Characters from the game will text me to try and scare me and add atmosphere to the game. Check this out! The dark wizard of P'Shulta just sent me a photo of a body and said 'YOU'RE NEXT!'"
"Can't you opt out from that?"
"Actually, I opted in!"
"..."
"..."

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... practically every game now sends you marketing emails once you play it. This isn't that far-fetched at all, I'm sure they would have the necessary agreements in the EULA.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be pretty cool. It reminds me of Eternal Darkness. That game was amazing for it's time and I wish something like it would show up again in a modern setting. I always wished Silent Hills got made. Hopefully this new Kojima horror game (if it happens) taps into the vibe of that game.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Wasn't there an indie PC game that did something similar by making folders or files on your PC?

There have been a lot of indie games tha that use files and folders to tell a story, or break 4th walls repeatedly.

Undertale did this on PC. Not sure if any of that translated to the console.

Lost in Vevo being the recent one that faked a Unity engine error, among other things that happen that are even more wild.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I want a new Silent Hill so much, it has been absent for so long. I would also like a good remake of the first game (not some trash like Shattered memories).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They can say anything about a canclled game. We would never know the extent of the veracity of such things because we didn't have a chance to try it.
They just need to resurrect this project. Sony buy this game and make it.

Edit: Well here it is:

Alanah followed it up by saying she thinks the source who told her that is full of shit.

Sounds very intrusive like those dangerous games.