• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 27, 2018
https://www.ladbible.com/technology...-in-real-life-too-20191202?source=gamingbible

By now, it's pretty obvious that Silent Hills had the potential to be one of the most terrifying horror games ever made, had it not been brutally murdered by Konami after their messy breakup with Hideo Kojima.
Alas, all that ever came to fruition was the delightfully unsettling P.T. - and with it, a swarm of urban legends and myths about the game that never was. Today then, is no different, as we learn of new rumours that say the game would have sent emails and texts to players in order to mess with them in real life. I don't know about you, but I don't think my poor old ticker would have handled that too well at all.

Alanah Pearce - writer and producer over at Rooster Teeth, working on Inside Gaming and Funhaus - was asked on Twitter to share anything she knew about Silent Hills that wasn't necessarily wider knowledge outside of a select few in the industry. What she said should be taken with a heavy dose of salt, but sure makes for interesting reading. If indeed the idea was real, there's still a chance the game's would-be-director Hideo Kojima could re-use the idea in the future. He recently made comments that he's looking to dip his toes back into the horror genre with plans to make "the scariest horror game".

Edit:

Interesting concept if this were to actually come to fruition in Kojima's next horror game.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Gotta admit, opening a "marketing" email from Konami that turned out to be a Silent Hill screamer would have had half of the forum shitting their pants.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Alanah followed it up by saying she thinks the source who told her that is full of shit.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Kojima going to ask for your address, and then him, Norman Reedus, Mads, and Guillermo Del Toro are all going to show up to your house with a copy of DS. Then, they'll ask you to carry that copy from your house to the Kojima studios. You'll need to build roads to cross the ocean. So it may take some time.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Would only really work if it was truly unexpected and if you're signing a waiver for it you're kinda just waiting for it which would ruin the effect.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
i hope if the game comes back again sometime in the future, it asks you for a sample of DNA so they can also send you an evil clone to your house.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Well they already announced it and cancelled it shortly after, I think that was already messing with you enough.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Man the possibilities for this are endless. What if like, this same concept was used to mess with people who pirated the game by texting them a picture of a middle finger?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Suddenly flooded with all my amazing repressed memories of Kojima madness.
Almost forgot how to feel good about the guy after wading thousands of ERA hateboner posts over the last few weeks.

Death Stranding GOTY

Nov 1, 2017
Mess with you in real life? Oh I see, Kojima was going to come to your house and bang on your window asking you rated the game. Unless a 90 or higher he'd probably say it was too much for the player to understand.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there an indie PC game that did something similar by making folders or files on your PC?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That would've added absolutely nothing. I don't get scared from emails and texts.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
In a couple of games, you are required to input all your passwords, social security number and your darkest secrets. Then everyone have to agree that the game is great unless you want Kojima to make your life a living hell.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Kojima likes his gimmicks.

Imamura & Team Silent never had to rely on gimmicks, just good story-telling and incredible audio design and visual direction.

Konami. Get the band back together. Imamura.Tsuboyama. Ito. Yamaoka. Owaku. Sato.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Can we all collectively agree to stop reporting information about Silent Hills? I go through the heartbreak every single time some new information pops up and I cannot keep doing this.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, horrible idea. There is a reason ARG games are niche genre, no one wants to be woken up at 3am to read a spoooookkkyyy text message.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I like the idea, but man if they turned out as dreadful as the Death Stranding emails which read like they are all written by an AI trained to want Norman Reedus' cock but be coy about it then I'm glad my real email ain't getting filled up with that shit.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna start blocking all of these threads because this is never happening, and all the ideas are good.

No offense to OP, of course.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I believe it. A game that continues on even after you turn the console off and fucks with you whenever is some psycho mantis/eternal darkness shit.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Kojima's working on a horror game from the sounds of it so we'll probably see stuff like this in that.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was an old ass PC game where you signed away your info and would provide you video chat windows, mail, email, faxes, etc about a global conspiracy. I think the service died in two years or two months...