• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Fishing minigame

BigViciousKingsnake-small.gif

lmao

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no need for the "rumour" tag, Companies House is the corporate register for the UK, so anything major of note (such as an acquisition and a rename) has to be listed. Considering how many people are chasing the GTA6 dragon, I'm surprised that it took them 12 days to spot the acquisition (and six days for the rename).

vpricot

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Good for Ruffian Games. I've heard Rockstar's 100hr/week crunch package is to die for!

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon they'll be a support studio but having the Rockstar name on a Dundee studio is some nice poetry considering GTA's roots in the city (and a boon for the city in general).

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Leslie Benzie's new venture might have been eyeing that studio as well to make their GTA 6 competitor.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I reckon they'll be a support studio but having the Rockstar name on a Dundee studio is some nice poetry considering GTA's roots in the city (and a boon for the city in general).

Pretty much all Rockstar studios are support studios.

San Diego and North are the ones leading development on GTA and RDR and the rest are supporting.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense, Rockstar have used Abertay Uni for recruitment for ages now. Even easier to hire people if they can stay in the city they lived in through Uni.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! Great news for all involved! The folks are ruffian are a great bunch and I hope this leads to even bigger and better things!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Its legit. Ruffian Games was closed on October 6th, 2020, now listed as Rockstar Dundee.

Rockstar back to their roots.

ROCKSTAR DUNDEE LIMITED overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK

ROCKSTAR DUNDEE LIMITED - Free company information from Companies House including registered office address, filing history, accounts, annual return, officers, charges, business activity

I see what you did there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Folks that made red dead 2 got bought because of they did a good job of porting max payne to game boy advance right? or was that the gta v folks?

RDR2 was made by the entirety fo Rockstar's worldwide studios. I don't think a single studio is billed as the "lead" anymore, that's just the way they operate now.

The studio most credited for Red Dead Redemption 1 was Rockstar San Diego, who used to be Angel Studios and were around since the N64 days (they were one of Nintendo's N64 "Dream Team" studios along with DMA who would become Rockstar North and made the Ken Griffey Jr baseball games IIRC)

RDR2 was made by the entirety fo Rockstar's worldwide studios. I don't think a single studio is billed as the "lead" anymore, that's just the way they operate now.

The studio most credited for Red Dead Redemption 1 was Rockstar San Diego, who used to be Angel Studios and were around since the N64 days (they were one of Nintendo's N64 "Dream Team" studios along with DMA who would become Rockstar North and made the Ken Griffey Jr baseball games IIRC)
Googled, it was rockstar leads. Seems like the mainly do support stuff outside of Max Payne 3

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I did read the thread title as:
Microsoft buys Crackdown 2 developer Ruffian Games, rebrands to Rockstar Dundee

And I was VERY confused. lol

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Great news for Ruffian and Dundee. Spent a good few years with them (that's where my avatar came from) :D

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I knew Rockstar had multiple studios, but I had no dea it was anywhere near 10!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Happy for the team there, although given their development history and the structure of Rockstar it's almost certainly just to be another support studio on GTA and/or RDR.

Crackdown 2 wasn't really their fault for being underwhelming. Even Phil Spencer has acknowledged in hindsight that they didn't give the studio enough time on that game.