• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably bad to announce a new trilogy this far out. Maybe they should wait to make a new Star Wars movie once they have an interesting new idea or cinematic approach to it.

I think remaking or even continuing on the Star Wars story is wearing thin.

The Last Jedi seemed a little silly with plot contrivances. I feel like they wrapped up the Star Wars films with the last movie.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Was excited to see what he was going to do!
Me too. TLJ has flaws and some missteps but I think Rian showed he had the potential to make something interesting, especially if he can get away from having to build off the start of someone else's plot.

Seems like this rumour doesn't have much credibility though.

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
pWvNZpt.jpg

Also this.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OP and title should probably be updated since this is being refuted by a much more reliable source.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is the worst post of the month. By far.

Unless its a troll post.

Please tell me its a troll post.

its not a troll post, its a filthy over the top analogy

but its actually fitting since TLJ was the worth movie i saw the month it came out, so it kinda works

To be factual, both ESB and TLJ are two of most critically praised SW films.

i know, but film-making in general, more often then not im sure it puts the quality/cohesion of films at a disadvantage more often than at an advantage

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No Star Wars trilogy has been mapped out in advance. Darth Vader was not Luke's father in 1977. Luke and Leia were not siblings in 1980. Hell, Lucas was making up the prequels on the fly, and he was the sole person writing and directing them!

People think the originals and the prequels were all born out of a single cohesive vision because many of them grew up always thinking of Star Wars as a trilogy, and the obvious retcons feel like they'd always been part of the story.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Me too. TLJ has flaws and some missteps but I think Rian showed he had the potential to make something interesting, especially if he can get away from having to build off the start of someone else's plot.

Would you be able to update the thread title with something like (Update: MakingStarWars says it's false.) or whatever?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this won't stop Lucasfilm from allowing the directors they choose to take risks.
I feel like this is what I would like to see from Disney properties. Less micro-management. It's hard to even tell what the Directors are doing to these films. It's why I don't understand people celebrating Rian Johnson potentially stepping down as if this will fix whatever issue you had with the Last Jedi.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this is bullshit but also I just want him to make his own weird shit without having to tie it to a brand full of crazy fans that treat creators like shit

Oct 27, 2017
No Star Wars trilogy has been mapped out in advance. Darth Vader was not Luke's father in 1977. Luke and Leia were not siblings in 1980. Hell, Lucas was making up the prequels on the fly, and he was the sole person writing and directing them!

People think the originals and the prequels were all born out of a single cohesive vision because many of them grew up always thinking of Star Wars as a trilogy, and the obvious retcons feel like they'd always been part of the story.

And because Lucas has tried to make it look like he had a cohesive vision when it suits him

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

People really need to sit down and read the Rinzler books that detail how the OT was made up on the fly, complete with receipts.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Any chance to get an edit on the OP and title?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Original Trilogy was good in spite of its helter skelter production not because of it.

Given Lucas' tin ear for dialog and admitted awkwardness directing actors, I disagree. Shuffling around directors was why the trilogy turned out so well where by contrast Lucas helming the entirety of the prequels ensured key elements of those films were bogged down with his persistent creative weaknesses.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only hope this is true. I want nothing to do with this guy's vision for Star Wars.

Amazing visuals and cinematography in TLJ, but that's the only nice thing I can say about it.

I hope this is true. I don't think he was ever a good fit for Star Wars.

(...I have a long list of issues with TLJ; notably with how Rey and Finn's roles were reduced just to boost Kylo Ren.)

ETA: Awwww damn it! I'll just not see them then. =_=

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what happened with The Empire Strikes Back.
Of course. Obviously the series was ultimately being guided by Lucas though, and certainly written by him(and others). That's not really what happened with these two movies as far as I am aware.
There's little indication that there was any plan for the full arc. So maybe we should start there.
Yes the other major issue in all of this was poor/incomplete planning, which should have largely taken place from the get go since they absolutely knew they were making a multi film story. Particularly considering JJ's penchant for teasing secrets, etc.

Regardless I still don't really get why people hated the idea of Rian getting his own trilogy, even if they didn't like TLJ. Up front he seems like a guy who could make some cool films if left to his own devices, rather than having to follow someone else's work. You would still have other films and the GoT guys trilogy if you didn't like what Rian was doing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Exactly. Yoda is a perfect example. Once he realized he was going to make a sequel he knew he had made a mistake killing obi wan. So he had to create a new character to train Luke.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's not. They announced two full trilogies and several prequels and because of poor management have now had to cancel a good portion of it all. That's a mess. If the series was operating well we wouldn't have had the Solo reshoots, and rewrites, leading to it flopping critically and financially. We wouldn't have them cancelling their prequels. We wouldn't have them cancelling one of two of their new trilogies... Leaving the future of Star Wars in the hands of the friggin GoT showrunners.....

Shambles

They announced one "series" of movies, which is still a go according to Bob Iger himself just last week, and they also announced another trilogy written by Rian, which is still a go, despite rumors today. Kathleen Kennedy's contract as president of Lucasfilm was extended for three years. Since Solo, we've gotten confirmation and production of two new animated series (Resistance and Clone Wars 7), two live-action series, animated shorts, and possibly a lot more on the horizon already in the works.

There were no prequels canceled. Nothing but Solo, Rogue One, Episodes 7,8, and 9 have been announced since 2012 and all those have been made. Everything else was just rumors and ideas that never got off the ground, just like in any other studio.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I get the feeling that many Star Wars fans suffer from a case of "grass is always greener" type of thing.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because TLJ sucked at making it feel like there was a vast galaxy with stories untold but the movie made me excited for what Rian Johnson could do without the baggage of the OT, PT, and TFA.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
People really need to sit down and read the Rinzler books that detail how the OT was made up on the fly, complete with receipts.
I think people underestimate how much of this trilogy was planned out from the beginning, even by George Lucas. The Solo son turning to the dark side, being corrupted by someone like Snoke, killing Han Solo in the first movie, the Jedi academy destroyed, Luke in hiding, the island, a girl powerful in the Force seeking him out, Luke dying.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i know, but film-making in general, more often then not im sure it puts the quality/cohesion of films at a disadvantage more often than at an advantage

Why would you assume that?

Kathleen Kennedy is one of the most celebrated and successful producers in the history of the medium and Abrams was at her side when deciding if they collectively liked and agreed with Rian's script and direction.

People act as if they just handed Rian one of the biggest film franchises in history without a whiff of oversight when in reality Kennedy (along with Abrams and others) have been steering this ship since Disney acquired Lucasfilm.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I think people underestimate how much of this trilogy was planned out from the beginning, even by George Lucas. The Solo son turning to the dark side, being corrupted by someone like Snoke, killing Han Solo in the first movie, the Jedi academy destroyed, Luke in hiding, the island, a girl powerful in the Force seeking him out, Luke dying.

It wasn't the trilogy that was planned out. It was Episode VII, because Lucas originally planned to make that himself before selling the company. So his Episode VII was well planned out, but beyond that it's all being made up as they go.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've been warming to TLJ recently after a couple of rewatches but I will never forget sitting in disbelief and just disappointment on opening night after 2 years of hype and desperate to see more after TFA (which I loved). It was a film that opened poorly, very odd tone with the pretty shitty comedy (General Hugs) and went off on tangents that felt like they were supposed to have more meaning than they actually did (the side mission failure which nearly caused the almost obliteration of the whole Resistance). And space Leia could've been a powerfully moment but it was just poorly directed and ended up bizarre. I also felt he poorly directed Daisy Ridley and there's a couple of incredibly wooden scenes from her that feel like she was just reading her lines robotically, namely when she's asking Luke to help out the Resistance.

Other than that though.... I like everything else he did with the film. The ending becomes more and more epic as Luke holds off Kylo Ren and the First Order to let the good guys escape. It's amazingly edited and emotional. Theres some nice visuals and the Snoke climax sequence is pretty bad ass as well

I was looking forward to seeing his fresh trilogy but equally I'm 50/50 in this decision, maybe it just wasn't shaping up well whatever his idea for it was and they've nipped it in the bud. It might be for the best. Maybe they've just decided that they're doing way too much Star Wars and are focusing on the TV show and the Game of Thrones guy's trilogy instead for now.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't the trilogy that was planned out. It was Episode VII, because Lucas originally planned to make that himself before selling the company. So his Episode VII was well planned out, but beyond that it's all being made up as they go.
I'm pretty sure Lucas actually planned out the whole trilogy, one difference between his idea and the ST being that Luke would die in IX. If more of his plan makes it into IX we wouldn't know it yet.

Rey's role was not reduced and Finn had almost zero impact on Kylo. What are you talking about?

There was a chart comparing the screen times of all the characters with TFA and TLJ (of course there's going to be differences) but it showed that Finn's screen time dramatically dropped. It really didn't make me feel too good considering the stuff I had been hearing about how no one wanted John Boyega in the movie and JJ Abrams was the one who fought to have him cast as Finn.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BTW, Rian liked this tweet which was posted at 930, right as the rumor came out.

He's running.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh so it was fake! Hopefully.

Regardless of my feelings towards The Last Jedi I still want Rian Johnson to have a chance directing a whole new trilogy. Away from the status quo of the Skywalker family.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course. Obviously the series was ultimately being guided by Lucas though, and certainly written by him(and others). That's not really what happened with these two movies as far as I am aware.

Kennedy and Abrams are at the forefront of this trilogy and Kennedy is overseeing this continuum as a whole. There was clearly guidance and direction coming from somebody other than Rian during the production of TLJ.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Should have had JJ Abrams do all three of the movies and then let Rian make up his own, it really fudged it up by having ia new guy come in for the second movie and basically take a wrecking ball to some of the threadlines it left for the later movies and I don't think JJ expected him to do that kind of thing.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird because TLJ sucked at making it feel like there was a vast galaxy with stories untold but the movie made me excited for what Rian Johnson could do without the baggage of the OT, PT, and TFA.

That's how I feel, although I actually think that's a problem with JJ's original set up of the Sequel Trilogy, not Rian's.

I loved TLJ and TFA, but they seem like very small adventures in terms of expanding the Star Wars universe. And it wasn't about just the number of planets and locations they visit. Those things stay the same in the ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.