• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
I want the game purely for the boss fight that plays the organ lol. Listened to that song so much.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, with the Suspend Cycle added, doing save scumm is already a cheat, lol.

Just have to remember to turn off auto syncing of game saves. After issues I had with my Miles Morales save getting corrupted, I only upload saves manually now.
For sure, though you have to pay to save scum on PS5 since you can only back up your saves on the cloud. On PC, save scumming will be easier and won't require paying for a subscription service. I'm hyped because not being able to save scum on console (at least not without getting fleeced) has been one of the main hurdles to completing or even really liking the game for me.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
So the GeForce leak still has a 100% correct right
Oh yeah, without a doubt...it's actually not a complete leak considering that Spider-Man wasn't on the list yet it's coming out next month :D Which still leaves hope for a Bloodborne remaster, but hey at least we'll get Demon's Souls and Forbidden West.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to finally recommend the 2021 GOTY to all my PC-only friends

Those leaked pictures of graphical settings were showing RT but no DLSS. I hope it will receive DLSS support
If I recall correctly, Returnal uses its own reconstruction technique, and that might not be compatible/replaceable with DLSS, unfortunately. On PS5, I'm pretty sure that the game's internal resolution is like 1080p or something, which then gets reconstructed up to a higher resolution. You'd have to watch the old Digital Foundry video to get the exact details.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

If I recall correctly, Returnal uses its own reconstruction technique, and that might not be compatible/replaceable with DLSS, unfortunately. On PS5, I'm pretty sure that the game's internal resolution is like 1080p or something, which then gets reconstructed up to a higher resolution. You'd have to watch the old Digital Foundry video to get the exact details.
Returnal uses Unreal Engine's TAAU to upscale from 1080p to 1440p and then checkerboard to 4K.

It using TAAU means there is a good chance it'll support FSR2/DLSS.

Could have sworn I saw a screenshot with DLSS
My guess is that it's probably under "Screen Optimizations".
ret2.jpg

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be crazy to see what the game looks like at native 1440p and 4K, hope it shows a glimpse of what it could look like on a PS5 Pro.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was reading through some discord and someone said that Uncharted presumably got delayed on PC internally maybe Returnal is being chosen to replace it maybe? Only way i see Returnal this year. Just guessing.
Hopefully they'll find a way to bring the earlier Uncharted games to PC along with the latest collection.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Just to add, from an official store I got a voucher for the preorder of Spiderman Remaster. Maybe the preorders will be out soon and this will be announced alongside the Returnal announcement?
Usually Sony announces preorders for their PC ports more or less a month from release. Today is or was July 8th so it 100% will be announced around start of the next week.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

It does support TAAU from UE4 in addition to checkerboard from 1080p but that's the PS5 version doesn't necessary apply to pc port. . The leaked pc setting pics have resolution scaler which means it should atleast have TAAU if not then ini hack that in like Kena on PC as long as its on the newer UE4. Not as good as DLSS or FSR2.0 though. Hope it support both options at the end and also upgrade the PS5 version to support FSR2.0 at somepoint.

Edit: https://www.destructoid.com/returnal-pc-version-port-incoming-sneaky-steam-database-listing/

Looks like screen optimization is a setting you can choose from so chances is it will support other scaling methods such as DLSS.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This game will be a real looker in Native 4k or with DLSS.

It's a fantastic looking game with great art but a sharper image would really do wonders.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This game will be a real looker in Native 4k or with DLSS.

It's a fantastic looking game with great art but a sharper image would really do wonders.
Yeah, I bet it'll look good AF. I'm really excited to buy it again and finish it there again too. I really enjoyed my time with but I have to admit, the DS controller contributed to me loving the game too. Their implementation is the best yet.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
looking forward to it launching at 70 pounds on steam. i still won't buy this game until it goes on a deep discount

Deleted member 119070

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Usually Sony announces preorders for their PC ports more or less a month from release. Today is or was July 8th so it 100% will be announced around start of the next week.
I hope so! But I would like to know the price of Morales and to have a pack with the two, but I'm scared that Sony will put both at 50€ 😞

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I bet it'll look good AF. I'm really excited to buy it again and finish it there again too. I really enjoyed my time with but I have to admit, the DS controller contributed to me loving the game too. Their implementation is the best yet.
It was good but the game desperately needs gyro support for me to play it again. Seems like Steam release is the only way I will get that so I'm excited. I'll trade all the dualsense features for gyro support which is ridiculous since the dualsense has a gyro…

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I wonder if the rumored ray tracing features will be added to PS5, if they are indeed true.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean both lol...It was 1080p60 on PS5 so just wondering if the PC leaks are true, will they bother adding the features back to PS5 as well.
This is not true.
It did not run it at 1080p60. It takes (quite a bit of) frame time to use temporal upscaling to 1440p and checkerboard to 4K. It likely could run much faster at 1080p with no upscaling.

I wonder if it'll get a VRR mode that runs it at 1080p with no upscaling.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't think your explanation means the was running natively at 1440p. That temporal upscaling is not "free" is another matter.
Huh? What I'm saying is it was not running at 1080p60 on PS5. It was upscaled from 1080p to 4K through two different upscaling methods, meaning it was likely running much faster than 60FPS at 1080p if you remove the upscaling steps.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
How much faster are we talking here?
Hard to know without seeing it running at 1080p on PS5. Maybe we'll get a VRR mode that doesn't upscale in the future? However, you can't run at 1080p60, use TAAU to get to 1440p and then CBR to get to 4K and still get 60FPS. PS5 is probably running much faster than 60FPS at 1080p.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think your explanation means the was running natively at 1440p. That temporal upscaling is not "free" is another matter.
Hard to know without seeing it running at 1080p on PS5. Maybe we'll get a VRR mode that doesn't upscale in the future? However, you can't run at 1080p60, use TAAU to get to 1440p and then CBR to get to 4K and still get 60FPS. PS5 is probably running much faster than 60FPS at 1080p.
TAAU and checkerboard both have a performance cost, curious if swapping over to only FSR2.0 or TSR can improve the quality while maintaining or improve the performance

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
TAAU and checkerboard both have a performance cost, curious if swapping over to only FSR2.0 or TSR can improve the quality while maintaining or improve the performance
It likely could, however my main point was just that the PS5 could likely run it much faster than 60FPS at 1080p since they need some overhead to account for upscaling to 4K. So the PS5 isn't "running it at 1080p60" like a few people have claimed.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It likely could, however my main point was just that the PS5 could likely run it much faster than 60FPS at 1080p since they need some overhead to account for upscaling to 4K. So the PS5 isn't "running it at 1080p60" like a few people have claimed.
It is disappointing for a next gen standard no doubt but ppl also forgot housemarque is also a small indie dev before the sony acquisition. The first gameplay video was full of frame drop, glad the final game got polished up.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume FSR2.0 would incur a higher cost if the quality is much better. I haven't seen a comparison with a TAAU upscaler though

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I'd assume FSR2.0 would incur a higher cost if the quality is much better. I haven't seen a comparison with a TAAU upscaler though
You should watch DF analysis on GoW, it covers FSR2.0 vs TAAU very well. FSR2.0 quality mode scaling from 1440p to 4K achieved better quality in most cases than TAAU 1620p to 4K. FSR2.0 and TSR are basically the next generation of image reconstruction compare to what we have been before. DLSS remains king but its locked to 1 hardware vender. FSR2.0 is a game changer because its open to any hardware and software.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It is disappointing for a next gen standard no doubt but ppl also forgot housemarque is also a small indie dev before the sony acquisition. The first gameplay video was full of frame drop, glad the final game got polished up.
I'm also not saying it's disappointing, just saying that Returnal probably runs at more than 60FPS, possibly a lot more, at 1080p on PS5.