• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Who asked for this? Honestly.
I didn't, and that's what makes me excited about it. It isn't what you'd expect from a Titanfall battle royale game.

That doesn't mean it'll automatically be good or bad, but it makes me interested to see how they've changed things around to fit the style of gameplay they want us to see.

As others have said, it would be boring if we only ever got what we asked for. Besides, it's not like this is supposed to be a replacement for Titanfall 3 or something. That's likely still on the way.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
As someone who thought both of the Titanfall games were incredible and incredibly underrated and didn't get the appreciation they deserved. Who has zero interest in the Battle Royale game design fad as it is pretty much totally counter-intuitive to what I think makes a fun multiplayer game, this is pretty sad but unsurprising. Just another sign that what I think makes a multiplayer game enjoyable and what the marketplace thinks are fundamentally opposite.

It's the ultimate capitulation to the people who look at a game like Titanfall and go "why isn't on-foot combat the focus"/"why isn't 'Pilot-vs-Pilot' the main game design???". Eh, whatever. It's clear that I'm pretty much totally over the majority of contemporary multiplayer game design and I don't think it's ever going to change.

It's just a shame they couldn't find a way to incorporate Titans in this somehow to make it more unique as a BR.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the optimization is on par with TF2. I have very old PC and TF2 has to be the best looking game I can run with very steady 60 fps.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who asked for this? Honestly.
As skeptical about this game as I am, I never get takes like this.

People don't know what they want until they are presented with it. I sure as hell didn't ask for the original Titanfall, but it and its sequel ended up being two of my favorite games from this generation.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Characters have abilities/powers, some of which are tied to specific characters/classes.
So literally BLOPS4/Blackout

Pass

Respawn already trashing up their output. Can't help but feel maybe EA is to blame. This just seems like such an asinine decision.

Everybody was talking about how good TF1 and 2 feels, and you.. make a game that doesn't play like it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Going from the beautiful madness of Titanfall 1 to the more "sand off the edges, good and bad" approach of the multiplayer in the second game to Apex seems like a real bummer of progression.

Titanfall 1 multiplayer was one of the best multiplayer games (if not the best) of the generation. Shame the series, apparently, is continuing to move away from it.

I want more of this.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No titans honestly makes my heart hurt. Titanfall 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, like in the top 3. Stripping away what makes them so special is just... man... this hurts.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I've been craving for a f2p shooter to just kill time somedays. I have no fucking idea about Titanfall though.

Oct 31, 2017
It's just a shame they couldn't find a way to incorporate Titans in this somehow to make it more unique as a BR.

The taut combat and map design of the original Titanfall, and its synergy with the interplay of pilot and titan combat is still one of the best multiplayer designs ever made.

Games are totally going away from taut, with a focus on visual readability, multiplayer game designs and personally, I think it's a shame, but the money (time) talks, after all.

Hearing the words 'Free-to-play', 'battle royale', 'classes and abilities' are like the ultimate turnoffs for me but are like the core things that many multiplayer designs must incorporate in order to even have a remote chance of being relevant. Oh well, just have to go be an old man doing things that are more suited for my tastes at this point in my life.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Without wall running and titans, this just isn't the series I love. It's Respawn so of course I'll be playing but this is so damn disheartening.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
This probably IS Titanfall 3. Some of you are way too optimistic. Sounds exactly like the trend chasing, budget sequel to a game that flopped in sales from EA to me.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Going from the beautiful madness of Titanfall 1 to the more "sand off the edges, good and bad" approach of the multiplayer in the second game to Apex seems like a real bummer of progression.

Titanfall 1 multiplayer was one of the best multiplayer games (if not the best) of the generation. Shame the series, apparently, is continuing to move away from it.

I want more of this.

I think Titanfall 1 is one of the most underrated multiplayer games ever. It was just severely hampered by the fact it was an Xbox One exclusive back when the Xbox One was still very new and not many people had it yet and also people were turned off when they read it had no single-player campaign focus. The multiplayer also didn't have as much customization and unlockables to obtain like a Call of Duty would have so more people got bored of it quicker, which I find ridiculous but it is what it is.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This probably IS Titanfall 3. Some of you are way too optimistic. Sounds exactly like the trend chasing, budget sequel to a game that flopped in sales from EA to me.
giphy.gif

Oct 31, 2017

I want more of this.

It is definitely heartbreaking, but not surprising. I remember sitting in college classes and talking about just how incredible Titanfall and its game design were, and people would just be like "There needs to be more titan classes"/"It should just be pilots only"/"There's not enough variables/progression systems"/etc. It crushed my soul, but it made me realize that Titanfall and its beauty were doomed despite its brilliance.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give it a shot, but after how much of a letdown TF2 mp was, this is a bummer.

cluk

May 22, 2018
So literally BLOPS4/Blackout

Pass

Respawn already trashing up their output. Can't help but feel maybe EA is to blame. This just seems like such an asinine decision.

Everybody was talking about how good TF1 and 2 feels, and you.. make a game that doesn't play like it.
Blackout doesn't have classes, just multi.

Edit Nvm saw your post.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I might try this since it's free but the whole thing seems really bizzare.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn knocked TF1 & TF2 out of the park (though I'm in the MP was better in TF1 boat). I will give this a shot because their gunplay is top notch. I need TF3 though

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else I'm curious to see what this looks like, Respawn have proven they know how to make kick-ass multiplayer, so I have faith in them to make a good BR game.

Why are they releasing this so close to Anthem?!

Anthem doesn't have any PVP, much less a BR mode. Doubt there's much cross-over here.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm on the negative view of things currently, there is a ton of potential with this. The folks at Respawn made some of the most fun MP experiences over the last few years.

I believe in them, but do not like what I've read so far. I'll give it a shot though!

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they releasing this so close to Anthem?!

Isn't the answer obvious?

The BR is a test for their future plans:

They're going to do a crossover and the pilots from titanfall are going to be teleported to the world of Anthem. The javelins become their titans, and thus PVP is formed with Titanthem 3

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
If the announcement is indeed on Saturday we should have definitive information any hour/minute now right?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Still can potentially take money away from sales. I have 0 interest hearing you don't play as mechs. That's the best part of Titanfall IMO
Yes but it's ftp so competition doesn't matter that much. Launch period affects packaged games the most because at least half of the sales come from the first first weeks. With free-to-play titles you want a player base that gradually increases and initial downloads don't matter that much. As long as it doesn't launch during the holidays it's fine.

I agree with you on the titan part.

Nerdmuch

Apr 6, 2018
EA: You know what players want, Titanfall Battle Royale.
Players: Ok, cool...
EA: No Titans, tho...
Players:
giphy.gif

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
EA: You know what players want, Titanfall Battle Royale.
Players: Ok, cool...
EA: No Titans, tho...
Players:
giphy.gif

You'd be fooling yourself if you think the gunplay in Titanfall is not one of the best we have ever gotten.

Titan or no Titan, I believe in Respawn and will always support them. They make great games, and gunplay/gameplay is untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.