• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
RE4 won't be remade into a game like REmake 2. The original RE2 is a horror game. It was more camp, but the intent is clearly horror. They leaned into the horror with REmake 2.

RE4 is an action game with a taste of horror. It has a lot of intense sequences built on the idea of overwhelming the player in combat. I imagine they would lean into that in a remake. I can't see them making a more deliberately paced game with the scope of RE4. They'd have to shrink a lot of locations if they wanted to pace it as well as REmake 2.

I'd be far more interested in 3 and CV remakes, and then original stories, then a 4 remake in that regard.
Agree 100%. Turning RE4 into a horror game would mean removing from the game everything that made it good in first place

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dont mind going back to third person actually prefer it, would love to learn more about the connections. remake3 sounds in the bag at this point. kinda glad they are not touching 4-6

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 was just a boring retread of every horror trope imaginable, but without fun RE gameplay.

But at the same time, I am so fucking sick of labs in Resident Evil. Stttoooppp

Telecinision

Aug 22, 2018
A remake of Outbreak in RE Engine and modern online features could be really interesting as well. Maybe the Ghost Survivors DLC for REmake 2 could give some insight as to how that might turn out.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a billion years away anyway, Couldnt care any less for RE8 by the sounds of it, Especially sticking to 3rd person perspective.

Ahh well RE7 in VR was an anomaly but easily the best gaming experience i had for many years. Never cared for RE4/5/6 so rule me out for RE8 chaps.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Remakes can be 3rd person, new games should be fps. 7 revitalized the series, it's probably my fave RE game tied with 4. So much can be done in the space of horror with first person, and I feel if RE2Make suffers in any way it's probably less scary than RE7 and more leaning toward tense.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'd be ecstatic to hear that it was going back to third-person, I don't really like first-person games.

Also, if they're bringing back Hookman I'd love to see the airship level shown in the first Hookman footage. I've always been a sucker for a good airship (even if Resident Evil has gone a bit overboard with spooky ships since then).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
after the success of RE2make i'd be shocked if it went back to first person. it was never a perspective japanese devs were comfortable with and RE7 while a success didn't burn the house down as expected

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
The magic of the RE games is that the series is so malleable yet fun to play in some form. The main numbered entries especially always experiment (for better or worse) going from fixed camera to third person to finally first person but for RE8 I'd like for it to stay first person since they're is so much potential with the first person perspective for horror. For the inevitable R3make and the possible Code Veronica remake I'd like for those to stay in third person since it suits RE2 so well that I cant imagine they'd change the formula for remakes.

BRING BACK RE OUTBREAK !

Remakes can be 3rd person, new games should be fps. 7 revitalized the series, it's probably my fave RE game tied with 4. So much can be done in the space of horror with first person, and I feel if RE2Make suffers in any way it's probably less scary than RE7 and more leaning toward tense.
ditto.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
When you say you don't have to hide at all if you know what you're doing, do you mean on a second playthrough, knowing their paths and exactly where to go? Because I had lots of hiding and sneaking while trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. Maybe sneak-and-seek is a more agreeable term?

Also, being the first RE game with fully functional, intelligent human enemies that speak the same language as the protagonist, and share consistent dialog with him definitely worked against the case of the game seeming like an RE game, too. The setting and enemies felt like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IMO, not RE.

Still, I really did enjoy the game, and forgot all about imposter Chris's DLC. Is it any good? I just set it to download in case it is.
Sneak and Seek is probably more apt, yeah. Didn't CV have english speaking humanoid foes though? I can't remember if they ever really spoke to you.

The Chris DLC is fine, I guess. Nothing special

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of the game being set during a storm. Should make for strong atmosphere, hearing the wind rattle the windows and walking outside in the pouring rain.

As for hallucinations, RE7 already featured a number of those, so that seems like a logical continuation, especially if the story involves the people who created Eveline.

At some point they'll hopefully introduce someone or something resembling a recurring villain ala Wesker.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Resident Evil 7 is really good and the first-person worked well for it. Having said that I really prefer the third person view since I like seeing the character (and alternate costumes!).

Give me Sherry on this island in third person. But give me Remake 3 first!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as wonderful as REVII is, I don't think we have a particularly strong attachment to the main character, and that's because we can't see him and his design. The series is beloved in part for its memorable characters, so I think seeing them is a smart move.

There's something to be said for the emotional connection I feel in RE2 REmake when I pan the camera around Leon after a tough boss battle and I can see his face physically grimacing in pain.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
After experiencing 20 minutes of Mr. X following me around, I've suddenly grown instantly concerned about the fun factor of Nemesis.

It can be done well, but man, it's not going to be easy.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
After experiencing 20 minutes of Mr. X following me around, I've suddenly grown instantly concerned about the fun factor of Nemesis.

It can be done well, but man, it's not going to be easy.
I think one approach they could take with Nemesis is to increase both his mobility and your own.

So basically picture a Mr. X that can RUN after you. That might sound impossible to handle, but if your own character has nimble dodges in their moveset, it should balance out.

Basically RE6's Ustanak as a proper pursuer enemy, implemented in a campaign that is designed around being stalked.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
At some point they'll hopefully introduce someone or something resembling a recurring villain ala Wesker.

I'm just wondering if one plot hook from Umbrella Corps will ever surface properly in the future.

The game basically hints that Wesker, or some clone of him, is back in the saddle. If so, then perhaps it's just a matter of time before a reappearance...

huggers

Dec 11, 2017
I hope they stick with the first person view. It offers more for horror imo. Keep the classic remakes 3rd person but after 7 I feel the series has shifted permanently and it's for the better

Oct 27, 2017
First person is novel but I honestly didn't enjoy it from a gameplay point of view in RE7. It made the game feel cramped and too confined and IMO it detracted from the experience. REmake 2 feels and plays so well. I think they've perfected the evolution of the RE4 style mechanics. It still feels slow and deliberate but also smooth and responsive. I want to see a full fledged sequel in the style of REmake2 but in a new location.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Honestly, this just sounds like a bunch of stuff people have been saying on forums. I doubt there's any actual credible source behind these rumors,

Oct 31, 2017
I'll be really bummed if they ditch the first person perspective for 8, to be honest, since I feel that works very well for RE. That said, I'm very eager to see how it shapes up- The Hookman concept has always been a great "what if", and I would love to see it realized in a new game.

Not personally all that interested in a 3 remake, but it sounds like it will be great as well, and fans of that game should enjoy it.

First-person also works for VR, so yeah, it'd be pretty awesome if they kept it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Resident Evil franchise is large enough to satisfy every type fan:

• Have the next numbered mainline games (8, 9) be first-person VR just like 7 was;
  • Have subsequent remakes (3, C:V, 0 and 1) be third-person survival-horror just like RE2-R is;
  • Have the Revelations subseries be action-horror just like RE4 and RE5.

And if they feel the need to make an RE game that uses fixed-camera angles, they can always create a new subseries.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Resident Evil franchise is large enough to satisfy every type fan:

• Have the next numbered mainline games (8, 9) be first-person VR just like 7 was;
  • Have subsequent remakes (3, C:V, 0 and 1) be third-person survival-horror just like RE2-R is;
  • Have the Revelations subseries be action-horror just like RE4 and RE5.

And if they feel the need to make an RE game that uses fixed-camera angles, they can always create a new subseries.

I think the perspective is less important than the overall structure of the game. RE2 and RE7 are more similar than RE2 and any other TPS RE game. I wouldn't mind if they follow that structure though, just bring Jill back in RE8 Capcom!

Also, I must point out the irony in saying Rev should be action focused, as originally they were mean to be exactly the opposite, that is, a taste of the more traditional survival horror.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Why does there always have to be a lab? Every RE game goes downhill there imo....

Also I guess that means no VR? 3rd person can be amazing like Astro Bot showed but it would be much harder to implement than first person VR.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Don't link EvilVR, he's a complete sham. He's wrong about all but the most obvious things and he just parrots rumors that others say.

For starters, an RE3 remake isn't being considered, it's already well into development.

And RE8 in development is the most obvious shit ever. It has been for years.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish Dusk Golem's thread would get bumped instead of this. REmak3 has been under way for a while.

First-person also works for VR, so yeah, it'd be pretty awesome if they kept it.
RE2make has already been modded to allow for a phenomenal first person view; one so good it looks like it was intended for VR. I'd be pumped if they are capable of releasing games like RE2 as officially supporting both.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised to see so many people stumping for the series to be First Person.

RE is a (mostly) Third Person franchise and while I didn't dislike the FPS POV in RE7, it didn't feel much like a Resident Evil game because of it.

Wanting a franchise to switch one of its essential components so drastically is odd; it's like wanting Doom to go Third Person.

Maybe the answer is giving people a choice between FP and TP.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 was a great reboot. Right up there with RE4. I hope it's 1st person, but if not, I hope they at least don't fuck with the tone RE7 had.

I'm surprised to see so many people stumping for the series to be First Person.

RE is a (mostly) Third Person franchise and while I didn't dislike the FPS POV in RE7, it didn't feel much like a Resident Evil game because of it.

Wanting a franchise to switch one of its essential components so drastically is odd; it's like wanting Doom to go Third Person.

Maybe the answer is giving people a choice between FP and TP.

I'm sure some people said the same thing when they went third person over the shoulder vs fixed camera. The origial fixed camera is not the same as third person today.

Being able to switch makes you change how you make the game. If it's fixed one way or another they can develop a round that.

To me and a lot of others it seemed, RE7 felt more like the first RE.

Last edited: