• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I basically unplug my consoles as soon as i get the next one. I don't even have my PS4 anymore lol

And when I get a new phone I wipe and recycle my old one. That doesn't mean I can't access any of my digital purchases from my previous device though. Sony's lack of forward thinking regarding digital libraries is becoming more and more apparent by the day.

Oct 27, 2017
This is my main concern
Trophies are probably different, but I wouldn't be surprised if something happened as this seems to be some kind of new PSN 2.0 they've been working on.

Damn well better let the trophies be, I still have a fat backlog for PS3. Just this week I picked up the Sly Cooper Collection and Thieves in Time for PS3.

Dear Sony,

If you will no longer support the PlayStation Vita, please heavily discount all Vita titles prior to permanently taking down the store.

Sincerely,
Everyone

Sony: 'The fuck is a Vita?'

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Shame. I bought a Vita at launch, gave up on it when Sony did and have only recently got back into it (or into it for the first time, in truth). So much is already unavailable or expensive and I missed pretty much ever PS Plus title.

I'm as guilty of neglecting it as much as anyone but this really should have turned out so much better. What a screen the first model still has and just a great handheld all round.

Yes but phones also don't get completely new hardware architectures every year. With the PS4 and Xbox One moving to x86 and that being the architecture for the foreseeable future it won't be an issue anymore anyways.

I still don't understand this "library building" and preservation mentality. Why be so conservative when the future promises much better experiences? How many times are people going to replay hardware and game design constrained PS3 games?

I get that videogames can be art and art must be preserved, but the vast majority of games are entertainment products with no timeless value.
If phones did they would still have BC, I guarantee it or at least at first . Phones are just portable PCs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to buy games doesn't mean you can not redownload games you already own a license for.
I Mean if people would still be buying games on these Stores they wouldn't close them down. They probably aren't so it's not cost efficient to leave them up.

Now if they don't let you download the games anymore, that's a different issue.

I'm not sure why anyone would have faith for Sony to maintain the costs of their download servers for older legacy content when they're showing they don't want to maintain the costs of the store fronts. The whole point is Sony no longer has financial interest to do so and you can bet at some point they will lose financial interest to maintain the download servers too.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
This isn't surprising and I knew this day would come, but it is going to SUCK.

Even just recently I made a PS3 purchase on there, sometimes you just suddenly learn about a game years later and want it.

If only everything on PS3 was just backward compatible and worked on PS4/PS5 and was available for purchase on those consoles too. :/

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Supporting closed-platforms where by design you have no control or say in anything, and then being shocked when your platform-holder does something you don't like...

As always, the problem isn't any one decision, it's that all the power shouldn't reside at the top.
This is why you always need to eventually hack your hardware and backup your own software. I learned this lesson with my PSP and Wii and will do the same for my 3DS and Switch when the time comes.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
So end of buying, but you can still download what you bought right?
Yes but for how long? I assume since those games are only available on specific hardware, when eventually they disconnect PSN support for those consoles, you better have the games on your hard drive.

I wonder how this will work on 360. I imagine, in the worst case scenario, those games, at least the BC ones, will always be available to purchase and download from future generations of Xbox? Does anyone know about that?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oh damn I was expecting the worst (no downloads anymore).

But a shame anyway, I have a friend who's still on PS3. :/

plow

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of folks on here seem to believe that they'll still allow downloads, and I though that was reasonable, but...as someone who never owned a PS3, I'm a bit in the dark here. I had someone else tell me in a Discord I'm in that a separate 'library' de-coupled from the store only started at PS4. So...that person is under the assumption that if they're bringing the store offline, downloads may very well go with it unless they add in a dedicated process for it.

Again, I'm a bit out of my element on that front, but is it really a safe assumption that downloads will still be possible?

I'm not sure they are legally allowed to keep you from downloading a game you purchased.

It's not like a Million peope buy a PS5 Game and Sony decides the next day to close the Store nothing happens. They either need to repay the fee, or you get the possibility to get access to it.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
A lot of folks on here seem to believe that they'll still allow downloads, and I though that was reasonable, but...as someone who never owned a PS3, I'm a bit in the dark here. I had someone else tell me in a Discord I'm in that a separate 'library' de-coupled from the store only started at PS4. So...that person is under the assumption that if they're bringing the store offline, downloads may very well go with it unless they add in a dedicated process for it.

Again, I'm a bit out of my element on that front, but is it really a safe assumption that downloads will still be possible?

If that is "technically" the case, then I'm guessing Sony would figure out a way to just disable the front end ui of the store and only allow access to downloads through the library. You wouldn't be able to 'see' the store, but you could still download from it. Then maybe they purge stuff like payment info after a certain time and just maintain the 'store' in so far as it allows people to download.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
And when I get a new phone I wipe and recycle my old one. That doesn't mean I can't access any of my digital purchases from my previous device though. Sony's lack of forward thinking regarding digital libraries is becoming more and more apparent by the day.

Pretty sure there are apps in your 2012 Iphone that you can't use with your new one lol

TranseKuja

Mar 28, 2019
So if I want to play some games from my physical backlog (and the DLC) like FF 13-2 and Drakengard 3, do I have to buy the DLC before the store shuts down? That's stupid

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I have so many apps on my iPhone that won't open because Apple requires all apps to be 64 bit now, and the developers either are no longer around or have decided it's not worth the time to update the architecture on every single one of their products. Those digital purchases are effectively gone. I have an old phone I keep around as a result just to access those apps.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's so odd to me that their legacy goes back to like 1994 or 95 but *if* they offer no actual BC solution barring PS Now, they effectively make their ecosystem cater only from 2013-Present.

Yep.

And I'm sorry but PS Now barely counts to me as Sony supporting their legacy when, with their new 2020 consoles, their direct competition allows consumers to not only play discs and digital downloads from their 2005 console but to play discs from their 2001 console.

There is no absolutely no effort made by Sony to have a consumer friendly approach to their legacy titles.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why anyone would have faith for Sony to maintain the costs of their download servers for older legacy content when they're showing they don't want to maintain the costs of the store fronts. The whole point is Sony no longer has financial interest to do so and you can bet at some point they will lose financial interest to maintain the download servers too.
They'd better allow downloads indefinitely or they'll never get another penny from me for digital games.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Just curious, what is the benefit of shutting down a store where people may still buy things from and make you money? Is it maintenance costs? If Sony don't have a solution to bring forward PS3 titles at the minimum to present day, I guess many games will be gone forever. Atleast the ones that don't have a disc version.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
This is exactly why I maintain a physical library of games

That's not even safe. Most games launch with game breaking bugs and stuff that needs to be day 1 patched. If the servers aren't there to update the game, then you won't be able to play the thing anyway.

Sony is in such a rush to try and make consumers forget that anything existed from them pre-PS4.

Yup making the same mistake that early film did by not preserving anything. If there isn't big money in it they don't care.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
They've done enough bad that I don't mind them getting a "fuck you" even if this isn't true
So we can just say "Fuck you insertcompanyhere" to any company that has done bad things at some point and not add any value to the topic....rumor or not? Got it. Anyway.....I hope this is just a rumor. Or at least Sony has something else up their sleeve because it would suck for those invested in those systems.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan secretly planted this rumor to spike PS3/Vita digital revenue this month

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean for PS+ games? Basically all of the first-party Vita games ended up on Plus. It would suck to lose licenses for all of those right as the store goes down

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If it was only PS3 going away, I might argue it would be to make way for emulated versions of PS3 and back to be available on PS4 or PS5. This, however, just looks like them straight up telling a group of consumers aren't worth their time.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The rumour says there will be an announcement at the end of this month. Let's see if it happens or not.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sony trying to be Nintendo so bad, they're even copying their bad practices now.

This is trash.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
I really don't understand what Sony is doing sometimes. How is this supposed to inspire confidence in building a library on any of their consoles? Leaning more and more to using my PS5 exclusively for exclusives, just like my Nintendo consoles. Which is sad because I am absolutely in love with the Dualsense and activities.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Well this makes the PSP go I have listed in eBay even less likely to sell. Fuck.
Literally zero percent of people who are looking to buy a PSP Go in 2021 are buying it to access the PS Store (which is hard to do- PSP doesn't support WPA2, so you need to take down all protections on your home wifi, and the PC Media Go doesn't work anymore), they are buying it to put custom firmware on it

Status
Not open for further replies.