• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Lets say its around 399-499 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X, are PC Gamers getting scammed paying 699 for a GTX 3080 (+ the rest of the PC) of $500 for a rx5700XT how can Nvidia/AMD charge so much?

I can stomach maybe 30-40% of an over pay - but if I have to pay $2000 for a total PC build - that's like a 400% difference. Somebody hack and install windows on these things.
Because up until now consoles were weak AF and not really competition for high end PCs. Plus while these new consoles are competing now they're competing with current but about to be last gen stuff on pc. New stuff will drop from both AMD and Nvidia very soon and if you want the best you gotta pay to play, it's terrible but it is what it is. Consoles will help out the midrange cards though for sure. Rising tides lift all boats or however the saying goes.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nope they're about about $17 to $20 which is why it won't be $100 difference, even with Sony making more on digital games it would be extremely stupid to lose $100 extra on every console on top of what they'd already be losing on every console. They have to sell like 8 to 10 digital games to make that up, not counting actually profiting on it.

Keep in mind the average attach rate for the ps4 is around 10 games lifetime. Meaning they would make no money on this machine compared to the disc version. The average person isn't going to buy 20 games just because they went all digital.

You can say but what about mtx or subs to services but there's no proof that buying a digital console means you're more likely to spend on that stuff then someone who buys discs.
Not true. A new release costs $70 on PSN. Sony gets 30% of those 70 bucks, so $21 per game. That would mean they got their loss back in just 5 games (not counting DLC). However; Sony gets 100% of every first party game and PS+ is still a thing, so if someone would buy Spider-Man and a year of PS+ at launch for instance Sony would already be making a profit.

Of course it's not as black and white as this, but they will have that $100 difference back in no time.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nope they're about about $17 to $20 which is why it won't be $100 difference, even with Sony making more on digital games it would be extremely stupid to lose $100 extra on every console on top of what they'd already be losing on every console.

They also have to compete with Lockhart, which if the rumours are true will probably mean it's able to retail for a lower price than the PS5

It might be worth positioning the digital PS5 as $100 cheaper for the reasons people have already stated, plus as a means to negate Lockharts appeal

If the digital PS5 and Lockhart are close in price, then maybe the fact the PS5 is a fully powered system and not a weaker system will sway people into getting the PS5 over Lockhart

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
DualSense 50 Euro? Yeah, no. That's less than the DS4 cost, with more features?

Also, wasn't there a thread about that couple of days ago?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Just take a look at the accessories.

They're all the same price, this is just a placeholder.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
100$ price difference makes sense, because they make more profit through digital sales, right?

Yes, plus if they normally have to make, manufacture and ship 5m disc versions of a game, and due to the uptick in digital sales, they can reduce that to 2.5m, then they save a ton of costs in distribution as well

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Because up until now consoles were weak AF and not really competition for high end PCs. Plus while these new consoles are competing now they're competing with current but about to be last gen stuff on pc. New stuff will drop from both AMD and Nvidia very soon and if you want the best you gotta pay to play, it's terrible but it is what it is. Consoles will help out the midrange cards though for sure. Rising tides lift all boats or however the saying goes.

Back when the PS4 hit - it was basically mid tier but it was cheaper than last gen (PS3/360 launch prices), so that was a bit of a win.

But my gut feel is that these new consoles are a lot stronger than last gen consoles were to PCs at the time. I think these consoles will stay pretty competitive for a good 2 to 3 years, before PCs pull away again and they might even be able to get away without having a mid gen console refresh.

Yeah sure a 3080 will already overtake the PS5/XSX - but not that many people will own one. And PC gamers as a whole will take longer to upgrade if prices are higher.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not true. A new release costs $70 on PSN. Sony gets 30% of those 70 bucks, so $21 per game. That would mean they got their loss back in just 5 games (not counting DLC). However; Sony gets 100% of every first party game and PS+ is still a thing, so if someone would buy Spider-Man and a year of PS+ at launch for instance Sony would already be making a profit.

Of course it's not as black and white as this, but they will have that $100 difference back in no time.
Until it's $70 across the board it's much safer to assume $60 as the average sale price (not to mention not every game launches at full price and not every gamer buys at full price). If they make $18 per game then at 10 games sold which is pretty high (most consoles don't hit that's on average) they make $180 so $100 lost on the digital plus the about $100 they'd already be losing on the hardware makes them break even or slightly negative. You cant count ps plus or ps now as a factor in the $100 digital price difference because you need that on either machine so it's a non factor, yes that would be close to straight profit but you're forgetting billions in R&D, marketing, employees, cost of making games. PS plus and mtx aren't going to pay for all of that alone. They have to sell as many games as possible and make money on the console as fast as possible. In my opinion we're gonna see at best $449/499 but I really think it's going to be $499/$549

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think these are probably placeholder prices as well. A DS4 is right now more expensive than it lists the DS5 as, and the DS5 will contain more advanced features.

Even if they somehow found a way to cut costs in manufacturing the DS5, it would be silly not to keep it the same price as people are used to paying for a new controller

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that the DualSense, Remote & Pulse Headset all cost 50 Euros shows this is bollocks.

Yes the remote is the giveaway, I believe we were told the price for the remote was 24.99 or 29.99 I cant recall.

But after sonys financials forecast I'm convinced the DE will be 399, but i think standard will be 449.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They also have to compete with Lockhart, which if the rumours are true will probably mean it's able to retail for a lower price than the PS5

It might be worth positioning the digital PS5 as $100 cheaper for the reasons people have already stated, plus as a means to negate Lockharts appeal

If the digital PS5 and Lockhart are close in price, then maybe the fact the PS5 is a fully powered system and not a weaker system will sway people into getting the PS5 over Lockhart
Yea Lockhart is the biggest unknown in the whole equation but if Lockhart is a huge success overall for Microsoft I just don't know how to even quantify how much it would affect Sony. There just so strong from a brand standpoint. Like for example people still buy $700 iphones even though the $400 android phones do all of the same stuff. We'll see it's definitely interesting.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah these are placeholders. The Headset price in particular is much lower than it would be if these were accurate.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A bluray drive isn't going to cost $100 in 2020. I don't think this is accurate.
I can totally see Sony eating 100 bucks per digital version just to give an extra kick to xbox's rumored series S. Its less about the cost of a blueray player, and more about undercutting the competition by eating a 100 bucks per device. Also Digital sales easily makes them their money back.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
These appear to be placeholder prices like many sites have had and as such there is little to discuss that can't be discussed in other speculation threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.