• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Add in the Vita and you have some of the best consoles ever.

I still remember when my Vita arrived, that thing was glorious and just screemed high end class.
Unfortunately I only got the Vita years after the fact, second hand. So I could never experience the impact of the shiny new device with it. But it's so good that even with those circumstances I could still appreciate what a beautiful, premium device it was. And I only got a Slim, as far as I understand it the OG is even more premium!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going off the pics. Series X looks shorter, not as long but it definitely looks fatter than the OG XBO. The overall volume might be. I guess it depends on how you position the Series X.

I dont think most ppl worry about length when it comes to consoles, just width and height. I'm not even sure how it looks overall vs the OG XBO.

It's the depth. It's no deeper than wide, so those profiles are deceptive.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Seeing the Series X would still be bigger, I dont see how it would be amusing. If this is accurate:

tmhiw12.png

This is 3 Pro's.

xbox-series-x-console-design-size-dimensions-ports-6400-1581354358708.jpg

Which is why I said earlier its odd now that I think about it with the magic MS pulled off with the One S and X that the Series X would be bigger than the OG XBO.
I have no issue with the size. I've just seen a few jokes over the years regarding the size of the original XBox. So if the PS5 was to harken back to the 'old' days, it's almost like we've come full circle in terms of console design.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 certainly will be bigger than the Pro. I assume that's why they won't show the hardware in this event and instead focus on the games. Reveal the console and price later after impressing us with the games. It won't matter then. The esthetic will be represented by Dual Sense and I hope the design of the console at least won't disappoint.

Jan 21, 2019
Do people who are going to buy the XSX know already where to put it. Looking at my current setup I really have no idea where to put it. No solution I can come up with seems elegant. Above or behind the TV might be options but neither is especially comfortable to use considering I am big on physical media. I might need a bigger TV rack for the future if I want an XSX.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing the Series X would still be bigger, I dont see how it would be amusing. If this is accurate:

tmhiw12.png

This is 3 Pro's.

xbox-series-x-console-design-size-dimensions-ports-6400-1581354358708.jpg

Which is why I said earlier its odd now that I think about it with the magic MS pulled off with the One S and X that the Series X would be bigger than the OG XBO.
Damn the original Xbox One was enormous lol

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it doesn't grow so big it no longer fits in my designated spot for my consoles, but it looks like it might - and I'm running out of shelf space.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The original XboX looks huge in part is also because of its design which is bulging out from all side. If Xbox og had a more angular boxy look it won't be perceived as that huge I think.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
[
Always liked this video to give you an idea of size comparisons

Thank God.
It's like people forgot things have a 3rd dimension too.
Though like I said, I understand that series X being compact in terms of depth might be of little to no help depending on your setup.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'll happily accept bulky if it's slightly stylish, cool, and quiet.

I might make fun of it a little, but if it works well, it works well.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
[

Thank God.
It's like people forgot things have a 3rd dimension too.
Though like I said, I understand that series X being compact in terms of depth might be of little to no help depending on your setup.
I think that is the problem. XSX looks nice, and maybe in volume is not bigger than ps5, but form factor is important. For example i have to have my switch hidden behind the TV: it is too tall, if in front blocks the TV. And below it has not enough extra room unless i hold it and put almost horizontally to undock it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Quiet is the part I'm most concerned about, and the one I have the least faith in them on. I hope they've learned some lessons with PS4/Pro.

The only way they fail to design a quiet PS5 is if they don't even try. By virtue of how the system is set up (i.e. fixed power draw, variable clock on load), they know exactly how much heat it will generate any given time, even in the worst case scenario. They can design cooling that addresses exactly that much heat without having to guess anything.

PS4 Pro got super loud when if faced a load that it crunched too efficiently, so it surpassed the average expected power draw (hence why it went jet during, say, map screens, title screens, etc). That will never happen with the PS5.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. But like you said, the OG Xbox was huge and silent. If the PS5 is silent then fuck it, make it big

Make it the size of four xbox series x's all together in a huge woofer sized box as long as it's silent. Just make one huge fuckin fan in the middle. Idfc, I want it silent lmao.

Genuinely half the reason I want to move to PS5 from my Pro. Even new while better than now the thing was still noisy. I did decently on the fan lottery, but yeah.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Do people who are going to buy the XSX know already where to put it. Looking at my current setup I really have no idea where to put it. No solution I can come up with seems elegant. Above or behind the TV might be options but neither is especially comfortable to use considering I am big on physical media. I might need a bigger TV rack for the future if I want an XSX.
Right on the floor like a subwoofer. That's prob what I would do if I bought one.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I just want the goddamn thing to be SILENT.

I don't care about the design of the console. Make it as big as needed.

Both the PS4 and the PS4 Pro are pathetic in how loud they get.

nath999

May 7, 2018

During Cerny's briefing he seem to acknowledge the noise issue with the ps4 pro so I would expect them to target a quieter solution this time around.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

It HAS to be. Cerny's talk pretty much laughed at how loud the PS4 can be and he made it clear the cooling solution and their variable frequencies would reduce the issue. It has to be quiet. Certainly I don't think it's going to ramp up and down at all and if there is any noise it will be very quiet but constant at that level.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The feature that western media talked about but not many focused on is the the voice assistant.
I wonder what is the hardware unique detail that couldn't be leaked.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Well, Moore's Law Is Dead on YouTube said that he heard that Sony will actually use their cooling system in marketing to show "how they manage to make a case so slim"

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Subwoofer on the left side of the TV, XSX on the right side.

Symmetry achieved.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Subwoofer on the left side of the TV, XSX on the right side.

Symmetry achieved.
I don't know what subwoofer that would be, mine is many times bigger than the sxs.. some are overestimating the size of this thing.
I guess the ps5 will have a more traditional design but the volume should be around the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.