• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mystic is a "veteran insider"?

Lol, since when? He's just a fan who likes to dig into domain names, unless something has drastically changed in the last two years or so.

Feb 19, 2018
Not surprised, I did think that a Switch version must be a given considering the inclusion of Joker in Smash (though I would have preferred Morgana, I wonder why).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a given with the DLC announcement. Persona has a history on Playstation handhelds but those are defunct now. P5 on Switch is easy money.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm not sure if it will eventually happen but 2019 seems unlikely to me. Atlus is already developing RE Fantasy, Catherine full body and SMT V, as well as (I guess) doing the localization for Persona Q2. It seems like a lot of stuff already going on, I would say 2020 for the japanese release and 2021 for the west one as the earliest dates. I hope I'm wrong, I still haven't started a new game + on PS4.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it will eventually happen but 2019 seems unlikely to me. Atlus is already developing RE Fantasy, Catherine full body and SMT V, as well as (I guess) doing the localization for Persona Q2. It seems like a lot of stuff already going on, I would say 2020 for the japanese release and 2021 for the west one as the earliest dates. I hope I'm wrong, I still haven't started a new game + on PS4.
at that point, they might as well skip the port and move straight to Persona 6

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Marie returned, I'd buy a popcorn machine for that.

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
I'm surprised to see that no one has quoted the answer from Reggie at IGN about a port of the game:
"You know, I can't comment on that. Again, from our perspective, we've been clear. We want all the best content on our platform. All the best content, all the best developers. And so our job is to continue growing the install base for Nintendo Switch to drive engagement of our players, to grow the audience. As that happens, then developers see the opportunity."
This pretty much confirms that Persona 5 is on its way on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I would normally be inclined to double-dip, but the only way I will do another playthrough of P5 without the perks of new game + is if the Switch version has the Golden treatment, ... which the Switch doesn't seem capable of?

Hopefully whatever is added is brought to the original version as well, as it is a much different situation than P4 to Golden.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The game or the event?
It would be cool if they made the event more meaty in a rerelease. Thats what happened with some of the events in golden.

The event, I platinumed P5 so clearly I enjoyed it but there's a lot of scope for improvements and additions even with the current length.

Mabufudyne

Oct 27, 2017
That is...such a shitty article, not going to lie. He's not a "longtime veteran in the industry" at all, so that's strike one. Strike 2 is framing of his words as something more authoritative than they really are. All the stuff about the possible names and what will be included sounds like pure speculation on NintendoSoup's part.

Is P5 on Switch happening? Yeah, there's a high chance. Is it happening because this one person said so? No. If anything, the most damning evidence of this is the, y'know, Smash inclusion. And the fact that there's a bunch of unused content, some of which even got published in official works.

Also P5U.jp is almost certainly referring to a fighting game spinoff, not a mainline release, because the -U is reserved for the Persona fighting game spinoffs in Japan. P4 Arena = P4U in Japan. P4 Arena Ultimax = P4U2 in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Would double dip as Persona handheld is the best Persona. However, it would need the golden treatment for me to be there day one. Else, I'll get it when I get it as I'm not jonesing to replay it any time soon (it went a little too long and needs more QOL improvements).

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Well duh... Joker is in smash. If it is an expanded version i'd buy it in a heartbeat though.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Rewrite the story to have it wrap up with Shido as the final boss. Make it a satisfying ending for those who don't want anything more. The "True Final boss" can be unlocked as "post main story" for those people who want the extra padding/true ending. Add more side stories/events with your team members to add more to their character development, as well as extra time to properly develop Haru.
I feel like mementos plays a role in the drag/padding of Persona 5's plot. They can rewrite it out of the story somehow and make it play less of a role in the main story.

Yeah, as you said, the game will have to undergo some serious rewriting to make it shorter and more compact.

No. Taking out the end of Persona 5 would severely damage the themes and narrative of the game. I get that people is annoyed by it, but you don't go abusing a series just because you can't be bothered to play 10 to 15 more hours. Persona just isn't meant to be a "compact game", and it isn't meant to be "oh here is this asshole guy here" because it's still a Megaten game, and the themes of rebellion and deicide wouldn't fit in anymore. You wouldn't take difficulty out of Dark Souls, so don't take the year long aspect of Persona out of Persona.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Game needs some more stuff after the Haru recruitment so her character is fleshed out more in the core story events.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Please add options or change some scenarios so that I can do what I wantm add a penalty to it.

I am sure it might be too much to ask since it isbpart of the game but I loved every aspect anout the game except how time constrained the scenarios were.

Now I understand there has to be some set up but hust make me go automatically through it. Don't send me to my room so that I can't only sleep then others just auto load the next day. Just do it or allow me to do anything with a penalty involved if I stay out too late. I just found that to bother me a lot.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Taking out the end of Persona 5 would severely damage the themes and narrative of the game. I get that people is annoyed by it, but you don't go abusing a series just because you can't be bothered to play 10 to 15 more hours. Persona just isn't meant to be a "compact game", and it isn't meant to be "oh here is this asshole guy here" because it's still a Megaten game, and the themes of rebellion and deicide wouldn't fit in anymore. You wouldn't take difficulty out of Dark Souls, so don't take the year long aspect of Persona out of Persona.
No one is "abusing" the series. In Persona 4, you can finish the game without ever knowing the true cause of all the events in the game. I'm not talking about taking out anything, the game will still be rather long for a JRPG. Though the final stretch of the story can be largely ignored.

I also don't understand how lessening 10-15 hours of needless gameplay from a 90-100 hour game will be damaging to the series.

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
Wait, wat? How!? Lol
Reggie has been more straightforward in the past in shuting down rumours. The fact he's saying "I can't comment" (which means "we can't talk about that yet" in PR speak) instead of "There is no plan" or "We would love to see great game like this one on our platform" or "We're not aware if Atlus is planning it, ask them" is indicative that's in the works.

Is metal gear solid coming to switch too? How about the zelda with toon link, port confirmed? Where is castlevanias confirmation?
What's the relation? There have been Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania (mainline or very close to it) games in the past on Nintendo hardwares, it's not the case for Persona (Q2 is more a funny cross-over minor spinoff and the fact that the Smash Bros crossover specify that it's about the Persona 5 franchise, not Q2).

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
No one is "abusing" the series. In Persona 4, you can finish the game without ever knowing the true cause of all the events in the game. I'm not talking about taking out anything, the game will still be rather long for a JRPG. Though the final stretch of the story can be largely ignored.

I also don't understand how lessening 10-15 hours of needless gameplay from a 90-100 hour game will be damaging to the series.
Except the last part of Persona 5 is actually meaningful compared to Persona 4. It was actually more enjoyable than most of the mindless running in hallways most of the dungeons of the game are composed off. I'd vastly prefer smaller dungeons than cutting away a big part of the story and its roots to SMT.

You could also just stop playing if you get bored.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
When Arc Systems inevitably announced Persona 5 Arena, it would surely come to the switch.

There you go, a Persona 5 game on Nintendo :D

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I waited and didn't buy the PS4 version. Can't really imagine playing Persona on a console/TV after playing P4:Golden years ago.

Indeed, I played P3 and P4 during commuting and playing P5 on my TV still feels weird. But I'm in the second palace right now and will most likely continue playing it on my PS4 instead of waiting.

That said, I would totally buy a Persona collection for Switch.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rewrite the story to have it wrap up with Shido as the final boss. Make it a satisfying ending for those who don't want anything more. The "True Final boss" can be unlocked as "post main story" for those people who want the extra padding/true ending. Add more side stories/events with your team members to add more to their character development, as well as extra time to properly develop Haru.
I feel like mementos plays a role in the drag/padding of Persona 5's plot. They can rewrite it out of the story somehow and make it play less of a role in the main story.

Yeah, as you said, the game will have to undergo some serious rewriting to make it shorter and more compact.
Giving a satisfying ending at Shido would literally go against the entire point of the aftermath of that fight.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
*heavy breathing* my heart can't take this. i would actually start crying if this was confirmed.

pls pls pls pls do it.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
The timing of this rumor surfacing is ridiculous, so it has no credibility in my opinion. Having said that, I'm pretty confident P5 is coming to Switch.

AndrewB

Oct 5, 2018
The timing of this rumor surfacing is ridiculous, so it has no credibility in my opinion. Having said that, I'm pretty confident P5 is coming to Switch.
Agreed, it's more likely than not that the game will be ported, there is too much money on the table and stranger things have happened. I also expect it to come mid next year. I just doubt these rumours are legitimate.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It runs on the ps3 so technically no issue. There's some sort of exclusivity to Sony isn't there?

How much was golden deferent o persona 4? It sounds like even from fans of the game that it could do with some editing in places.

Would they do that for a golden version?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope an upgraded version removes the gay predatory stereotypes. A really low point in an otherwise fantastic game

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I hope an upgraded version removes the gay predatory stereotypes. A really low point in an otherwise fantastic game

Ditto, adds literally nothing to the game in any way.

And not get the good ending.

You're suggesting cutting the collective unconscious part of a game abouse Jungian philosophy. The game needs to be less verbiouse, a little shorter, and smoother pacing but the solution isn't to lob off the last part of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
at that point, they might as well skip the port and move straight to Persona 6

Persona 5 happened 8 years after Persona 4 and 4 years after P4 golden. I'm not saying we won't have Persona 6 until 2024 because Persona 5 had a difficult development delaying the game, but we are talking about Atlus. Hoping for a 2019 extended Persona 5 on Switch is setting yourself for disappointment. I absolutely hope I'm wrong but I still remember the long wait for Persona 5, I don't want to get hyped too soon again.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope we get better content than Golden. I'm not expecting FeMC but let's ditch the Marie bullshit at least please

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Considering the original tweet has been deleted and seems to have been based on speculation, I'll lock this for now

Status
Not open for further replies.