• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
It's a great game that's been a bit marred lately by stagnation, outside of new characters every few months.The online is what I'm concerned most about, naturally. Without proper voice chat, any real competitive play will be useless on Switch.

I'm going to take the time to beat a rotting corpse of a horse and say that Nintendo needs to get their shit together and make a real friends/messaging/voice chat system and not that fucking trash they call a phone app, otherwise great online games like this are pointless on Switch.
Thanks. I figured it would be a game heavily relying on communication and Nintendo's lack there of will be a giant hurdle unless this version is different in some way?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
It's a great game that's been a bit marred lately by stagnation, outside of new characters every few months.The online is what I'm concerned most about, naturally. Without proper voice chat, any real competitive play will be useless on Switch.

I'm going to take the time to beat a rotting corpse of a horse and say that Nintendo needs to get their shit together and make a real friends/messaging/voice chat system and not that fucking trash they call a phone app, otherwise great online games like this are pointless on Switch.
Why wouldn't it have voice chat? It's not like the app is mandatory, for Fortnite on the Switch you just plug in headphones and chat.

suga41

Jan 10, 2018
Thats how I'm feeling.

I've been PC since day one.

It'll be tough starting over again, but I'll still probably give it a go.
I'm hopeful that with the rumored PvE expansion, Blizzard wants you to be playing on as many devices as possible (while continuing to pay for more loot boxes if that's your thing) and I can't see people shelling out to buy multiple copies of the game/expansion if it's not cross progression.

Guess we'll see soon enough

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not sure I'll pick this up unless there's some sort of cross progression. It's neat it's on Switch at least.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While neat, unless Blizzard also decides to reveal more actually good content for the game, it's whatever, honestly. Overwatch is still kinda ass.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Definitely buying this to support! I probably won't ever play it unless cross-progression comes or if there are exclusive skins on Switch but I really want to support Overwatch on Switch!

And we have even more confirmation of big Overwatch news at Blizzcon. Hopefully we get lots of cool stuff! That expansion announcement is most likely coming there too.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Blizzards aversion to cross progression is so bananas to me. Surely the number of people who are playing *and* buying loot boxes on multiple platforms is negligible, right? I just don't see people dividing their time and money between multiple platforms with such a massive disparity in control schemes, etc.

People who play on console are likely doing so because they don't own a PC, and people on PC aren't playing on console (and they surely aren't buying loot boxes on console).

Surely it's not a technical hurdle that's preventing them from cross progression, right?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
What's the fucking point of leaking this half a dozen hours before reveal?

The op, as a courtesy (thanks!), even put the brackets and RUMOR tag in the title, which I think is a good way to show curtesy and a fair compromise; you do know that you can just hide threads featuring leak/rumor/etc. in their title, right?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm all for Overwatch on Switch, but without cross progression, I can't double dip after everything I've done already.
Yeah, this seems like something they wold need to implement to make it enticing for anyone who has already been playing it. there's no way either I or my wife would bother getting and playing this version if we can't bring our crap with us.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Here's hoping Nintendo's infrastructure doesn't fuck up the experience for switch users. Then again, I doubt most people that pick up a switch version of Overwatch are really too invested in the competitive modes and are just looking for a fun casual experience

Yeah not sure I'll pick this up unless there's some sort of cross progression. It's neat it's on Switch at least.

Never gonna happen, Blizzard has stated multiple times.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hey Nintendo, is this why you hung Splatoon out to dry?
As mentioned before, Nintendo doesn't typically support their games for very long. Splatoon 2 got a fair bit above the average amount of long-term support time. The fact that there was no form of monetization in Splatoon 2 beyond the Octo Expansion didn't help matters.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It better be 60fps

They always said 60fps was integral to the feel of the game so I'm hoping this being a thing means they managed it

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy way to communicate with a headset on the Switch yet? I'd be interested in this if I could play with my friend, but if I have can't have chat audio going through a headset then there's no point for me.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Man if Blizzard had Cross save progression for this game I would totally double dip on Switch.... but as of now, nope. OW will be played on my PC...

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Any reason to buy it now that we have Paladins on Switch? It will likely be covered in today's direct.

I hope it has motion controls.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is there an easy way to communicate with a headset on the Switch yet? I'd be interested in this if I could play with my friend, but if I have can't have chat audio going through a headset then there's no point for me.
Look above, we replied about it few posts ago!

And BTW, the Nintendo skins would be pure gold *__*

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I love how well Blizzard is supporting the Switch. I wonder if there's a chance for any other of their games to come to the system. WoW and Starcraft seem out of the question, but maybe Hearthstone?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring, Antagonizing other members, History of system warring, Accumulated infractions
As mentioned before, Nintendo doesn't typically support their games for very long. Splatoon 2 got a fair bit above the average amount of long-term support time. The fact that there was no form of monetization in Splatoon 2 beyond the Octo Expansion didn't help matters.
I see no need to be a Nintendo apologist. They could have easily put in a dozen more Splat Fests. Splatoon is about staying fresh, and is in a genre where the competition is always releasing new things. They should be half way through Splatoon 3 right now.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
[/QUOTE]
Just like blizzard said there would never be role select...oh wait

It's clear Blizzard flip flops a lot and will develop features that will maintain player counts or bring in old/new players

One update improved quality of gameplay thus satisfying the paying costumers.

The other would directly have a negative impact on their pockets...

Hmm.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I see no need to be a Nintendo apologist. They could have easily put in a dozen more Splat Fests. Splatoon is about staying fresh, and is in a genre where the competition is always releasing new things. They should be half way through Splatoon 3 right now.
You dont stay fresh by making constant sequels

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I'm not saying you're wrong as Nintendo have massively dropped the ball with voice chat and they need to sort it the fuck out.

However, devs are entirely able to include regular, headphone in the jack voice chat within Switch games without the phone app, as done in Fortnite.

With strategy and communication being such a big part of Overwatch, I'd be surprised if it didn't have this too.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Believe it or not, some devs dont want to work on the same game 4+ years
The Zelda team seems cool with it. Splatoon is in a genre where all the competitors have dedicated teams. People will gravitate to the game with new stuff and player bases will build dramatically as support continues. But for some wierd reason Nintendo is letting the Splatoon light go dim. They'll do a Splatoon 3 some day but we'll never know how much more successful it would have been had Nintendo continued S2 support.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Alright lets say they add in bonus console exclusive skins.

Post your ideas.

I for one would want Tingle as Junkrat.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

Rushing into a shooter sequel is how we get pointless ones that play basically the same just on new maps. As is the case with most mainstream shooter series. That's the opposite of keeping things fresh.

I'd rather them wait until they have a genuine idea for a completely new take for Splatoon 3.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not being an apologist, I'm just stating how things are right now for DLC in Nintendo games.

Rushing into a shooter sequel is how we get pointless ones that play basically the same just on new maps. That's the opposite of keeping things fresh.

I'd rather them wait until they have a genuine idea for a completely new take for Splatoon 3.
Also this

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for at least a one time account cloning like Warframe did. Otherwise I'm not starting from zero on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.