• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No the old game will stay. Overwatch 2 is simply a huge update to the game. The only questions are if they will rebrand Overwatch as Overwatch 2 like what Fornite just did.
Thats not confirmed and if anything the tweets indicates people will be forced to OW2 by just moving the original content over to it. Either way people will have to upgrade.

Aspen

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I can't at people calling Overwatch greedy. 4 years of free updates and the loot boxes are optional since everything can be earned in game currencies. It's one of the most fair and generous GASS game on the market.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
it would only make sense that Overwatch "2" would be the same game client. doubt they want to clutter the blizzard launcher with the same game multiple times

my guess is that it will be like Destiny-lite. since Destiny is no longer on their platform, they can directly compete with it now

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Leveling up each character makes sense since I'm sure they'll want some sort of battle pass with this too.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I can't at people calling Overwatch greedy. 4 years of free updates and the loot boxes are optional since everything can be earned in game currencies. It's one of the most fair and generous GASS game on the market.
Pretty much this. The model it had for unlocking was incredibly fair. I've spent zero bucks on lootboxes and bought the game for 25 bucks 4 months after release. I have all the skins for my favorite characters all unlocked through playing, and i play 3 hours weekly.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know internally it's been called Overwatch 2, but it seemed like "Overwatch: Side PvE Thing" from all the leaks coming out. I always thought it would be separate from the original PvP game, which will continue to exist for PvP gameplay.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I know internally it's been called Overwatch 2, but it seemed like "Overwatch: Side PvE Thing" from all the leaks coming out. I always thought it would be separate from the original PvP game, which will continue to exist for PvP gameplay.
yeah me too

i'm still interested as to how it'll work

not a fan of no new heroes tho

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds really weird.
A 3 year old port that wasn't done particularly well isn't going to have any effect on their decision about the future of the franchise moving forward. Idk people think it would.
You're not answering his question.
Why do this when they had absolutely no faith or hope about it. Seems like wasted money.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
First they re-used Illidian and now they're re-using Arthas lmao

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also leaked was a digital form you have to sign stating that you recognize China's legal dominion over Hong Kong and Taiwan and that any statement contrary to that will result in the total deletion of your Blizzard account.

Also they're gonna remove Roadhog & Mei who are canonically pro Hong Kong
wait what roadhog when

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sounds really weird.
You're not answering his question.
Why do this when they had absolutely no faith or hope about it. Seems like wasted money.
What question? The switch port isnt going to have any bearing on the expansion because everyone knows its a niche port with a small audience. Blizzard isnt going to hinder whats to come in a sequel because of it. Idk how more clear about that I can be.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Oh man I really hope there isn't gameplay affecting levelling system. I love that I can go a couple months without playing and pick it right back up and not miss a beat.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this. The model it had for unlocking was incredibly fair. I've spent zero bucks on lootboxes and bought the game for 25 bucks 4 months after release. I have all the skins for my favorite characters all unlocked through playing, and i play 3 hours weekly.
Ya'll realize you not spending money is anecdotal and lacks any semblance of empathy for people who literally cannot stop themselves right

Lootboxes, gacha, all that is inherently greedy, and honestly Overwatch deserves the most ire for popularizing them

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I expect an overhaul thats more of an Overwatch 2.0 than an actual sequel. They did it with Heroes of the Storm.

Oct 25, 2017
What question? The switch port isnt going to have any bearing on the expansion because everyone knows its a niche port with a small audience. Blizzard isnt going to hinder whats to come in a sequel because of it. Idk how more clear about that I can be.
is that literally all you can say in regards to the switch port?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So it's either a huge update to the original game, or a new client that also includes (most of?) the original game's content? If it's the latter, I would hope that it's free, or at least only paid if you want the new stuff.

Also, hopefully it comes to Switch too.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is that literally all you can say in regards to the switch port?
When I keep being presented with the same argument idk what else to say about it. Nothing of substance has been said regarding why a port to the switch would have any effect on the future of the franchise other than, it just does. If you want to elaborate on why it would or should have more of an effect I'd love to hear it. But its a port of a 3 year old game that other consoles and player bases have been waiting on a huge update for awhile now. Blizzard isn't going to hold off on that because a small audience just got a ported version of it recently.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
No new hero? Interesting. And it looks like it could be one gigantic update to the main game.

If anything though they have to move the story forward. Or at least if they want to tell the past again they have to tell the actual fall of Overwatch this time.

Also I really hope this doesn't distract people about the HK situation at Blizzcon.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll realize you not spending money is anecdotal and lacks any semblance of empathy for people who literally cannot stop themselves right

Lootboxes, gacha, all that is inherently greedy, and honestly Overwatch deserves the most ire for popularizing them

Edit: changed my mind, no point replying

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Trolling

Lol. I CAN'T HELP BUYING OPTIONAL COSMETICS THAT I CAN MOSTLY BUY JUST FINE BY PLAYING THE GAME. HALP ME. WHO WILL THINK OF MEEEEE.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

Arion

Oct 26, 2017

Nope, that would be Valve. TF2 had lootboxes way before any other game adopted it.

Aspen

Banned
Oct 10, 2019

Gacha was already popular in Japan way before Overwatch. If GASS need to make money somehow, I can't think of a better model than the one in Overwatch. I literally feel guilty for not able to give more money to Blizzard because that's how generous the system is. Compared that to Siege, you have 1. exclusive skins lootboxes that are time limited and can't be brought with game currencies, 2. an optional season pass if you want to play new characters one week earlier, 3. an optional battle pass . That's what you call greedy.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Lol. I CAN'T HELP BUYING OPTIONAL COSMETICS THAT I CAN MOSTLY BUY JUST FINE BY PLAYING THE GAME. HALP ME. WHO WILL THINK OF MEEEEE.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

This is a weird flex on a front page that has one story about someone spending 64k on microtransactions and lootboxes in one game and someone spending 150k in another.

Yeah, not everyone has gambling addictions. It doesn't mean you should make it super easy for those who do to drain their bank accounts because they can't help themselves.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Considering the model of their previous games, a free upgrade to Overwatch 2 would make the most sense here i'd think. It would avoid a split playerbase and confusion. Maybe some solution to people who still prefer to play OW1 possibly.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder why no hero though.
Yeah this is super upsetting. I mean it would be more upsetting if the idea of character progression wasn't mentioned, which is far more troubling for me. Unless thats a PvE only focus, and in which case, I can get on board with. It would be a terrible idea for the current PvP version of the game tho.

Whats even stranger is Jeff mentioned recently that the team has been working on numerous heroes and many are already in playable states.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why no hero though.

Turns out less is more. The game was a lot better when it had less heroes when it launched. Every new addition has been miserable and made the game less fun. Sombra? Doomfist? Moira? all of them horrible. Sigma and Orisa? barrier watch. Brigitte for like a whole year, holy shit. It was a whole different game that people loved when it came out. It feels so miserable to play it now. Most of the additions just made the game worse. I'd say bring vanilla Overwatch. This game is already very difficult to get right, new heroes just throw a wrench into everything. Like the game would have been in an ok spot after 2-2-2 if Sigma wasn't added to the game. He ruined what was already pretty shaky.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why people want another hero, The team needs time to actually balance the game, we haven't had a good meta in over 2 years outside of maybe a month.
Well part of it is a new hero is usually central to meta shakeups. And as seagull put it, their idea to balance metas seems to be fixated on having new characters completely counter entire playstyles.

But its not like theyre able to balance the game any better with the lack of characters to begin with, certainly not when theyre releasing an update thats going to be called OW2.