• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding on to this temp 2060 for awhile as it really surprised me how much it holds up at 1440p but I cant wait to upgrade to one of these new cards. Will most like settle for 2080 Ti though if prices take a dive as that is pretty much how I came by my 980 Ti and 1080 Ti when I bought them. I sort think prices will be much better than the current cards as AMD might actually give them some competition with a competent high end card.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
If they launch the ti models simultaneously with the regular 30 series models I'll definitely grab one. Wonder if I should consider upgrading my 8700k as well....

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I have been waiting for a worthy upgrade for my 1080, I'm hoping the 3080 will be that. The 1080 is unfortunately starting to show its age when used with the Index.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Depends on AMD's schedule with next Ryzen series schedule I would say.

No point going for Intel as their next node is still ways out.
The new amd 600 series is rumored to drop later this year so I'd be more than happy to jump ship to them and pair it with a 3080ti. My setup is just fine but now with cyberpunks delay I'd love to get some new hardware to push it as far as I can.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The new amd 600 series is rumored to drop later this year so I'd be more than happy to jump ship to them and pair it with a 3080ti. My setup is just fine but now with cyberpunks delay I'd love to get some new hardware to push it as far as I can.

I'm little torn on how I would want to upgrade.

If 3080Ti comes out in early 2021 then I may also swap out CPU, but before that? Not sure I would swap out my i7 9700K @ 5GHz just yet.

Jul 26, 2018
This is actually really tempting for me... but i'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

I game at 1440p, 144hz ultrawide. I have a RTX 2080 Super and since tax season is in the near, I can use that and sell my RTX 2080 Super and get a big discount for a 3080TI. But is is really worth it? Hmmmmmmm.

It's tempting. My biggest wish is SLI being relevant again which is probably impossible at this point. Always wanted a SLI build. But before building my 1st gaming PC back in November 2018, i found out about it and was pretty disappointed by it's current state and lack of support from both Nvidia and devs.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
3080 ti better be reasonable or else I'm going to have to settle for the 3080. :/ Pricing is going out of hand.
It's not going to be reasonable.

I mentioned this at the end of the last page but whatever the cards are, if you want high framerates and raytracing etc, we'll more than likely have to upgrade again in a few years anyway. Especially if the consoles are going to be quite close to a 2080, or even a 2070 - and especially by the midpoint in the gen when they start taking advantage of the systems properly. A 3080 should be a decent upgrade till then.

I just don't know what to do about the CPU. I was planning on intel's 10mm as I mostly need very high framerates more than I want high resolution. But it's delayed.

March feels a bit early for the 3080 but I would love if it were the case.

Is there any other huge tech that is just around the corner? Like, DDR5 motherboard memory or something? The prospect of waiting sucks but since I only want to have to upgrade the GPU in a few years and not the rest of the system, it might be worth the wait.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I'm little torn on how I would want to upgrade.

If 3080Ti comes out in early 2021 then I may also swap out CPU, but before that? Not sure I would swap out my i7 9700K @ 5GHz just yet.
That's kind of my conundrum as well. My 8700k @ 5ghz is just fine but I know it'll start showing its age sooner or later and I'd rather just get ahead of it and switch to amd since at least they leave room to upgrade your cpu and don't screw you over one generation to the next with their socket changes.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just received a 2070S last thursday...
If there's any chance ampere releases in March (!) it's going back, even if that means I'd be stuck with a HD6670 in the meantime

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be reasonable.

I mentioned this at the end of the last page but whatever the cards are, if you want high framerates and raytracing etc, we'll more than likely have to upgrade again in a few years anyway. A 3080 should be a decent upgrade till then.

I just don't know what to do about the CPU. I was planning on intel's 10mm as I mostly need very high framerates more than I want high resolution.
That's kind of my conundrum as well. My 8700k @ 5ghz is just fine but I know it'll start showing its age sooner or later and I'd rather just get ahead of it and switch to amd since at least they leave room to upgrade your cpu and don't screw you over one generation to the next with their socket changes.
I fully expect to have to upgrade again in 2 years tbh if I want 4k60 consistently going into next gen

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I fully expect to have to upgrade again in 2 years tbh if I want 4k60 consistently going into next gen
I'm currently rocking a 34" ultrawide lg at 144hz so I guess resolution isn't the end all be all for me. Although if I grab one of the new LG oleds in the future I may care more about 4k again. Decisions decisions....

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently rocking a 34" ultrawide lg at 144hz so I guess resolution isn't the end all be all for me. Although if I grab one of the new LG oleds in the future I may care more about 4k again. Decisions decisions....
Well I don't have a 4k monitor right now but I expect I'll end up getting one next year maybe (or the year after?)

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Don't forget 4K120 TVs.

4K@120fps + Raytracing = 6080Ti at least

I have a 4K60 monitor already but I just don't want 60fps anymore. It's in storage, has been for a few years.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Well I don't have a 4k monitor right now but I expect I'll end up getting one next year maybe (or the year after?)
The longer you wait the cheaper some of the current models will get so its not a bad plan to hold off. Since we can't even push 4k 60 consistently from game to game its not like there's a rush.

I've got a 2017 lg oled that I can use as an alternate display if I want to play in 4k but it doesn't support vrr so I tend to not bother.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The longer you wait the cheaper some of the current models will get so its not a bad plan to hold off. Since we can't even push 4k 60 consistently from game to game its not like there's a rush.

I've got a 2017 lg oled that I can use as an alternate display if I want to play in 4k but it doesn't support vrr so I tend to not bother.
tbh I want a new monitor for HDR and a bigger screen more than resolution. My current monitor is 27" 1440p 165hz gsync. I want my next monitor to be 32", have a high refresh rate, support HDR10 and if I'm going all out I might as well get 4k while I'm at it lol

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
tbh I want a new monitor for HDR and a bigger screen more than resolution. My current monitor is 1440p 165hz gsync. I want my next monitor to also have a high refresh rate but also support HDR10 and if I'm going all out I might as well get 4k while I'm at it lol
Good point. My ultrawide has fake hdr lol I don't even bother with it. I'm pretty sure Asus or one of the other big names just came out with a 4k hdr 144hz panel not that long ago. Even I can't justify dropping like 3 grand on a monitor though lol

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
We aren't going to be able to do 4K at 120fps+ for a while....it's always better to get native resolution monitors imo. I haven't tried the new scaling though.

Who knows, maybe we get microled monitors in the future, or by the time we can do 4K120fps...with raytracing. Although I'm still not sold on raytracing being worth the performance hit.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I'm probably going to wait one more gen of cards and monitors (currently at 1080P 144Hz, 2070 Super) before I upgrade, I'm really hoping by then cards like 4070 can handle 4k at 144Hz no problem.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good point. My ultrawide has fake hdr lol I don't even bother with it. I'm pretty sure Asus or one of the other big names just came out with a 4k hdr 144hz panel not that long ago. Even I can't justify dropping like 3 grand on a monitor though lol
Yeeeah I'm gonna have to wait for my next monitor to be sub $1000 before I purchase one. Might take a while

We aren't going to be able to do 4K at 120fps+ for a while....it's always better to get native resolution monitors imo. I haven't tried the new scaling though.

Who knows, maybe we get microled monitors in the future.
The high refresh rate is for stuff like first shooters where I would just turn down graphics for higher fps. I'd just cap most other stuff to 60

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
One benefit of 120fps on the new LG oled (c9 and cX) is they take input lag down to 5-6ms. That's a pretty big upgrade on my c7 which is at 21 ms.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Get a 2080 now is setting yourself for disappointing.
It's not actually, because the slow progress of gaming tech means a 2080 is still going to be a perfectly adequate card until 2022 most likely. The new gen consoles won't suddenly push graphics to leaps and bounds day dot, it takes years for that to happen.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
It's not actually, because the slow progress of gaming tech means a 2080 is still going to be a perfectly adequate card until 2022 most likely. The new gen consoles won't suddenly push graphics to leaps and bounds day dot, it takes years for that to happen.
Consoles will be around a 2080 what will be around a 3060 from next series. Is low-mid point. It is not gonna be a card for who wants to push high-ultra @4k. And you will get 2080 perf for 349 or 399 on next series. So it is a waste.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
One benefit of 120fps on the new LG oled (c9 and cX) is they take input lag down to 5-6ms. That's a pretty big upgrade on my c7 which is at 21 ms.

Even more impressive, 5ms is the measurement at the middle of the screen. Most of that input lag isn't even processing. It's just the time it takes to draw the screen. Seems a bit silly we still do this (in a non-crt world), but I guess we're stuck with it in non-VR displays. If this thing could just update globally, it'd actually beat a CRT in input lag.

Nov 8, 2017

The urge to wall mount a 48" CX next to my PC and upgrade to a 3000 series (assuming 2.1 support) is too damn high. It's going to cost 1 trillion dollars but fuuuuu

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget 4K120 TVs.

4K@120fps + Raytracing = 6080Ti at least

I have a 4K60 monitor already but I just don't want 60fps anymore. It's in storage, has been for a few years.
Yeah, we are several years away from running AAA titles in 4K@120 at max settings even without RT. Look at RDR2.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that will stay at 1080p the foreseeable future a 3060 will be more than enough for me.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that will stay at 1080p the foreseeable future a 3060 will be more than enough for me.

you will be CPU bound in a lot of games :P you can super sample with ease.

Right now we don't have fast enough CPU to saturate 2080Ti or even 2080 in most games at 1080p.

Assuming 3060 is like 2080 at half the price, you should definitely consider a 1440p monitor. That would be waste on 1080p. If you have like a triple 1080p setup, that could be really good too. It's just way overkill for 1080p, even for nextgen games that are aiming for ~4k on weaker GPUs.

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

Right now we don't have fast enough CPU to saturate 2080Ti or even 2080 in most games at 1080p.
when are the next big cpus dropping? I just purchased a 2070s for 1080p and eventually 1440p gaming

So a CPU upgrade is on my priority list now

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Assuming 3060 is like 2080 at half the price, you should definitely consider a 1440p monitor. That would be waste on 1080p. If you have like a triple 1080p setup, that could be really good too. It's just way overkill for 1080p, even for nextgen games that are aiming for ~4k on weaker GPUs.
I'm expecting the settings to have a noticable bump now that next gen will raise the floor. Especially if devs use more forms of RT than the consoles can handle

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
when are the next big cpus dropping? I just purchased a 2070s for 1080p and eventually 1440p gaming

New Intel CPUs are rumored, and AMD is later this year. Honestly, though, what's your current system looking like? We're getting close to DDR5, unless you're on a 4c CPU you might wait a little longer.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Consoles will be around a 2080 what will be around a 3060 from next series. Is low-mid point. It is not gonna be a card for who wants to push high-ultra @4k. And you will get 2080 perf for 349 or 399 on next series. So it is a waste.
If it is however again the 2080 and especially 2080TI or 2080S will not be bad cards when Ampere releases. I would actually wager if still in production they would be fantastic 2K cards for the right price. Heck I might even get one if big Navi doesn't eventuate to being decent as I'm pretty much done with staying up-to-date on Nvidia with only 1080p gaming (potentially 2K in the future). My 1070 has served me so damn well that it really is hard to upgrade just for some pretty lights looking fancier.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

Intel's Comet Lake 10C/20T will come in May but it's still a 14nm Palm Cove (Skylake) core so it will run hot and won't introduce much besides +2 cores to 9900K. It'll require a new socket/MB too.

AMD's Zen3 will launch in autumn, will bring IPC gains and will likely move to either 7+ or 6nm. The last one which will use AM4 socket and DDR4 memory, will most likely have the same core configs as Zen2 / Ryzen 3000 does meaning up to 16C/32T.

Then there's Intel's Rocket Lake which is expected in early 2021 now. This is a bit unknown for now but the expectations are that it will again be a 14nm CPU but with Willow Cove cores (Tiger Lake's) back ported from 10 to 14nm. Rumors are that this will lead to Intel cutting the core number from CML's 10C back to 8C.

Zen4 will probably launch in 2021 on 5nm and with a new DDR5 platform.

Anything besides that is just rumors for now.
There's 10nm Tiger Lake coming this year but it'll likely end up being notebook only just like Ice Lake did.
Intel is expected to move to 7nm in 2022 so realistically this is the year when Intel might be able to compete in production processes with AMD again.