• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I am guessing anybody on the 20x series who thinks they will not need to upgrade will be in this thread in April once Cyberpunk comes out.

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017
Perfect timing, my system will be 5+ years old by then, those are my upgrade cycles. A 3080Ti will be a great jump from my Titan X Maxwell, hopefully it is launched along with all the other cards in the 3xxx series.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I have $450 or so in Dell funds to use and am considering using it for an RTX 2080 to replace my gtx 1080. Could then sell my 1080.

Sad thing is it would be just to play Quake 2 with days tracing, ha. I don't play a lot of PC games in recent years that wouldn't run on a potato.

Tricky thing is I *might* need a PSU upgrade if I do it.

And apparently I still couldn't run Q2 at ultrawide 1440p.
This gen of ray-tracing comes off a little like the first gen of card with hardware T&L...by the time games came out that could use it well, performance was garbage anyway.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
We will see for switch 2. Not getting my hopes up. Can only hope for modern tech with the best budget they can afford
I can see people are moving the goalpost yet again for Nintendo. They're always doomed no matter what...

As for Ampere, I'll wait and see on the price.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes little sense to cut the power consumption by half, and do 50% performance. Usually the industry do either less power with same performance, or more performance at current power. Going from 12nm to 7nm would probably mean they can doubled the cores for the same power. Add new architecture and improvements, this sounds plausible. At least on some tasks. As in 1.5 performance on the same power or a little lower.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
At this point all I care about is the price. The GPU market (above the 1660 super) is grossly overpriced.

I bought a 1070 back in the day and then a shady landlord's sketch as hell house destroyed it with illegal wiring. GPU prices went so crazy in the meantime that I was never able to get back to that bracket for anywhere near the same price. High performance is so expensive at this point I don't care what they do above the xx60 lines.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I am guessing anybody on the 20x series who thinks they will not need to upgrade will be in this thread in April once Cyberpunk comes out.
I'm in this thread now, but, I'm planning on a full system rebuild second half of next year, so until then, I'm sticking with my 2080 Ti. I'm more sweating when the *next* cards after the 30xx series launch.

Nov 5, 2017
If this is true, I am in day 1!! I'm so ready to ditch this GTX 970!!
And with Cyberpunk coming out, it's the perfect time to flex the power of Ampere!!

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About time Nvidia put the pedal to the metal, (and increase every variant by 100$ again, Founders Edition lol)

AMD showing signs of life and Intel trying to get into GPU market.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like skipping the 2XXX series was the right decision. 3070 will be a nice upgrade to my 1080.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
I just want to buy a card for 300-350€ that doesn't feel like a complete rip off.
Either that or i'll just buy a ps5 and forget about gaming on PC.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to buy a card for 300-350€ that doesn't feel like a complete rip off.
Either that or i'll just buy a ps5 and forget about gaming on PC.
£350 just about gets you a used 1080ti on somewhere like OCUK forums right now. It's mad.

Frankly even when these new cards come out its probably only going to drop 2080tis down to like £500 used.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Half the power consumption could make for some awesome slim gaming laptops

The article probably got it wrong. I mean, samsung with EUV 7nm LPP is not even claiming crazy numbers like that.

Compared to its 10nm FinFET predecessors, Samsung's 7LPP technology not only greatly reduces the process complexity with fewer layers and better yields, but also delivers up to a 40% increase in area efficiency with 20% higher performance or up to 50% lower power consumption.

OR, not AND.

And the thing is that for example, Nintendo with the tegra revision did not see it as a necessity to add more power (would segment the platform), so they went with better power consumptions from 16nm to 12nm. But this does not make sense in a competitive market with iterative GPUs. So of course Nvidia will push the card for higher performances to shut down any chances from AMD and just be "ok" with power consumptions since AMD sucks so much at this.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Are people going to wait on playing Cyberpunk until they get their new card?

Seems like it. I almost bought into a 2070 super from a 1060 6GB, but i guess i'll wait on CES and Nvidia conference to really see what's coming. If i have to wait 4~6 months to have the best experience, so be it.

I really want Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX (or Volkan RT, DRT, whatever solution is best and if AMD has something to compete), even if i play at 1080p if i have to. But i'm not wasting that first playthrough with this kind of game on a subpar experience. This game is everything i've ever dreamed of since playing Deux Ex.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
£350 just about gets you a used 1080ti on somewhere like OCUK forums right now. It's mad.

Frankly even when these new cards come out its probably only going to drop 2080tis down to like £500 used.
1080 Ti was too good for it's time, i think this will be the first time a 3 year old GPU beats next gen consoles & a first time a 3 year old GPU is considered high end.
There was rumours they made that GPU super good because the talk about Vega & HBM2 scared them, it might be right after all, if Vega could have got better clocks it would have been scary for Nvidia.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If bitcoin keeps dropping, man is it going to be a good time to upgrade a 1080 ti. Hoping for a $600 card that's 2x across the board a 1080 ti with new features and architecture improvements that will improve performance over time.

Are people going to wait on playing Cyberpunk until they get their new card?

I have an AMD 3900X and an Nvidia 1080 ti. Nah, I'll play. I imagine I'll have to run at 1080p with some lighting, ray tracing, and AA reduced, but otherwise at max settings. CDPR does a good job with performance even at RTM, and they'll improve performance over time with patches. I recall Witcher 2 doubling fps nearly between RTM and the GOTY edition. Witcher 3 not as much, but still a bump.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not expecting my 2080Ti to do 4k Ultra at a locked 60fps, but certainly with slightly lower settings and VRR to eliminate any potential stutters.

I'll still want a 3080Ti though once it's announced. I know I will.

It's actually good that Nvidia cards hold their value so well in the second hand market, especially in comparison to AMD cards. Means you can sell them on and get a good chunk of cash towards your next upgrade.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine 3070 will be %10/15 more powerfull than 2080ti with better ray tracing stuff, 12GB vram, same power consumption and 400€. I think that's not so distant from reality other than price. xd

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Anyone expecting a jumper bigger than 15% perf from 2080ti to 3080ti is being hopeful

I think it'll fall right long those lines

Gen to gen increase tends be somewhat bigger when it's paired with node shrink, but people expecting 50% or more will be in for rough time.

I would guess 20-25% for Ti to Ti and a lot forum salt over pricing.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You sweet summer child... 2080Ti at 1300€ was sold out for weeks and months. Sub 800€ xx80Ti cards is just a memory now.
could have always bought one for 900-1000 in germany, ok maybe not on release but some months later. i dont really get people who buy shit at msrp