• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I knew that demo was somewhat canned. The sequence where the first android appears, and is melee'd in a scripted scene, is contingent on the player having no ammo. The player shot at enemies in the preceding area seemingly by choice and depleted their ammo before the encounter.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't wanna be overwhelmingly negative, but what do people see in this title?
The gameplay snippet didn't look all too fantastic, and the motion blur was kinda nauseating.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Edited the title to reflect the nature of this story. It's a rumor and should be treated as such before jumping to conclusions. And half of these points aren't even 'bad'...

Last gameplay is real but it's heavily directed and very linear.
Sure, that's the case with practically every gameplay demo.

Seems like the game may have an episodic release (1 episode is approximately 5 hours) but it doesn't mentioned anywhere else.
Not necessarily a bad thing? Could be an interesting approach.

CEO doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.
Is this implying the CEO doesn't know the game's in development? (which would be hard to believe) or doesn't know about game development in general? (which wouldn't really be all that bad, as long as leads below him/her are knowledgeable).

Everything that people like about the game (art, design, concept) is made by one person - Artyom Galeev, who has been nurturing the concept of the game for many years.
What's wrong with that?

No actual game design. Devs don't know what they want to make. Someone liked finishers from DOOM and they implented something similar. Ideas shift from Doom-Prey to even Dark Souls.
I mean, yes, the game's in development. Part of the development process is figuring out what game you want to make lol.

Development was rebooted 5 months ago and now it looks even worse than it did before, huge gameplay downgrade.
Rebooting isn't a bad thing in itself. Could be best for the project. And does this mean the recent gameplay was fake too? Because that looked pretty good. What's 'gameplay downgrade' mean exactly when just above they're saying there's no actual game design? I'm confused.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
That's shame. I've learned that it's always the same story with these games that come out of nowhere and look like masterpieces made from nothing.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought this was just a raytracing demo for RTX card owners. Like with anything RTX related, it's going the way of the doo doo.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I hate to say it's the first time I hear about the game

A shame, because I just saw the first trailer and it seems interesting

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
is the artist so good at art because his name is Art?

rnNm1YG.gif

feelsbadman if all this is true. the aesthetic is so compelling. i'll still hold onto a sliver of hope.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha. Never thought I'd live to see the day where gamers of this generation think Ray Tracing is a fad.

It's quite literally the Holy Grail of rendering.

I'm not talking about Raytracing as in the tech, I'm talking about Nvidia's RTX line of cards. And if it's the holy grail of rendering they sure do a piss poor job at showing it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
  • CEO doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.
  • No actual game design. Devs don't know what they want to make. Someone liked finishers from DOOM and they implented something similar. Ideas shift from Doom-Prey to even Dark Souls.

Yeah, this doesnt surprise me, ive met CEOs like that (in fact, the director of our master academy that im coursing right now is exactly like that), so hearing about a similar enviroment in other places... videogame/animation industry is full of this type of shit.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. Never thought I'd live to see the day where gamers of this generation think Ray Tracing is a fad.

It's quite literally the Holy Grail of rendering.

YMMV.

Me, for example, never liked "CG" look in games. I liked "gamey" look.
Example: Alien: Isolation's renderer looks too CG-like for me. Just something not allright for me when i look. Too polished, too smooth. Not sure what are technical reasons.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about the devs inspired confidence, it seemed like an extremely ambitious project from the get go especially considering that there was basically zero public knowledge of the development team or their experience. To me, this seems like one of those conceptual pieces that developers and artists use to boost their publicity and open up career paths.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How many of these "unknown developer dream games" have actually ended up being success stories?
No Man's Sky and We Happy Few are obvious examples of ones that crashed and burned, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that really delivered.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yikes , I'm really hyped on this and WitchFire . Glad WitchFire is on correct track with timely updates from the developer .

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Rumor"
"Taken as truth by many"

What happened to cautionary anticipation?

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
So it's We Happy Few basically. Early trailer comes out, looks amazing. Game is a complete mess behind the scenes with the devs having no clue what they're doing and not even a set direction for what they want to do.

That's disappointing as hell.

That's not an accurate description at all. The devs knew exactly what they were doing when they put We Happy Few on Kickstarter. They were making a survival sandbox rogue-like with narrative elements. When people saw the E3 trailer and expected a more traditional story-driven experience, the devs decided to focus more on the narrative and scripted parts and less on the survival sandbox rogue-like parts. They made changes in direct response to consumer feedback but the game as a whole was still faithful to its original idea.

The problem is that many people saw the E3 trailer with no previous knowledge of the game and immediately assumed it would be Bioshock set in 60's England. When the actual game ended up not being that, they were disappointed, even though the game was true to its initial vision. This wasn't a case of the developers not knowing what they were doing. It was a case of customers being completely ignorant about a game and making assumptions about what it would be.

How many of these "unknown developer dream games" have actually ended up being success stories?
No Man's Sky and We Happy Few are obvious examples of ones that crashed and burned, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that really delivered.

I'm not even sure what this means. "Unknown developer dream games." Are you referring to any indie developer's games? Because there are a lot that have been successful. Subnautica, FTL, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Ori, Divinity: Original Sin, Gunpoint, Return of the Obra Dinn, Sunless Sea, Into the Breach, The Forest, The Long Dark, Banner Saga, Grim Dawn, Dead Cells, Kenshi, RimWorld, Planet Coaster, Frostpunk, Starbound, Minecraft, Cuphead, Darkest Dungeon, Kingdom Come, Undertale... the list of successful indie games is a long one.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of the dark time in 2012 when Bioshock Infinite was revealed to have troubled development, and Prey 2 and STALKER 2 were both cancelled. The game looks great... I hope it pulls through...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
An unnecessary bump but hey I'm adding to it now I guess. Honestly I find games like Atomic Heart very interesting, not least because of its bumpy road of development, but also because the game looks pretty insane. It might turn out to be a disaster, who knows, but if it does turn it'll still be an interesting disaster that I'll want to play either way. Better than boring. And it's on GP either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.