• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
Can you help provide a better word or phrase that would fit in this case?

Thanks.

In context it would be "Whale" in English if we are speaking about people who spend very much on gatcha games, which I don't think the case for this article. But it specifically says "High" so I really expect them to make more services people who are willing to pay more.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In context it would be "Whale" in English if we are speaking about people who spend very much on gatcha games, which I don't think the case for this article. But it specifically says "High" so I really expect them to make more services people who are willing to pay more.

Thanks. I updated the line in the OP to provide some more context around the quote.

The phrases I used are from people who can read Japanese.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the Japanese text, basically Nintendo decide to squeeze whales like other companies do?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Mother 3!!!! Nothing more hardcore than that!

... But seriously, SNES games incoming.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
I avoided the use of the term whale as it could be seen as offensive, and I was also fighting for space in that tweet. But yes, the article mentions those who are big spenders as being the target for this additional feature, leading me to believe its likely to be a paid add-on to NSO, though that's my opinion and isn't openly stated in the article.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is a tad bit disappointing if this just refers to something people can spend more money on instead of features for existing subscribers at no extra cost.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Furukawa said in a previous investors meeting I think, they are making changes that will take years to implement. When i read that, i knew they are planning fundamental changes.

Switch online is the only very big mistake they made with Switch.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm being really candid about this, but why do you need a portable only switch? I mean the console itself is first portable. It's only an hdmi box that put it on full screen.

I reckon it will still be a hybrid, but not dettachable controllers. And dock not included in the pack, so it's up to the buyer wether to use it as an only portable device or not.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I still don't understand how they decided that Messaging or Themes shouldn't have been on the console by default. These are such basic features that we've had on previous consoles, I don't see why they thought it was a smart move. It should of been easy to realize they would have ended up here in this position having to now do a further upgrade to the Online, (potentially raise the price for the features?) and continue to do so. It could have easily been avoidable, at least from the outside looking in

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
What i expect them to do...
-Add Snes games to subscription service
-Update the Nintendo Online App into switch version of Miiverse/Discord

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Can you help provide a better word or phrase that would fit in this case?

Thanks.
I can't because I'm not native english speaker.
Is there a word describing the people who spends over $1000 or even $10000 on Clash Royale?
The word should be used.
Just to clarify, the wording would be wrong in the japanese article, but "高額課金者" refers to that type of people.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I avoided the use of the term whale as it could be seen as offensive, and I was also fighting for space in that tweet. But yes, the article mentions those who are big spenders as being the target for this additional feature, leading me to believe its likely to be a paid add-on to NSO, though that's my opinion and isn't openly stated in the article.

I assumed this too because I doubt they're just gonna add features to things they can lock behind paywalls for the people who REALLY want it and WILL spend the money. As frustrating as it may potentially be, people will spend the money for said features regardless of what it is. I think the "outcry" will be if you have to pay for Messaging as an additional feature.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I can't because I'm not native english speaker.
Is there a word describing the people who spends over $1000 or even $10000 on Clash Royale?
The word should be used.
Just to clarify, the wording would be wrong in the japanese article, but "高額課金者" refers to that type of people.
Whale usually works, but it's pretty derogatory.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Also, I hope people don't get their hopes up for Gamecube games on Switch via a Virtual Console or whatever. Nintendo probably knows they could get away with remasters of classic GC games such as Mario Sunshine with a $60 price tag and still make a ton of money lol

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has to be 100% committed here. The future is digital and services. A feature rich Nintendo Online experience is a potential gold mine. Nintendo just has to capitalize.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
If their going this route they need to go "in":

make it 60.00 dollars like the rest

Add the obvious missing features messaging, voicechat, party...

Either snes WITH some free 3rd party sprinkled in OR N64, gamecube games in there

Anything else would be completely unacceptable, and what i mean by that is ill still buy it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I love how it sounds ... be it in the more than just snes virtual console or just a badge arcade revival xD

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yes, this is vague, but "高額課金者" is the strong word describing the people who spends many money on gacha in japan, and should not be translated as the soft "core gamers".
Sounds like the Switch version of Nintendo Badge Arcade to me. People should expect something along those lines if they don't want to set themselves up for inevitable disappointment.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'm confused, bc aren't core gamers the ones who want NES games? If it was just SNES, N64, or GameCube games, I'd think they'd say "younger, core gamers."

I think this means voice chat and other features that facilitate competitive play.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they want to implement some sort of MTX system into the online service to get money from whales.

How exactly that works is anyone's guess.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no faith in Nintendo regarding online, I'm sure they'll invent an obscure way to do simple things, like they did with friends code. But at least they've acknowledged its a necessary branch of their operation moving forward, despite the western gaming world screaming about this since early 2000.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I actually find the NES service very nice and something to just hop into randomly. Spent an evening playing Super Dodge Ball with the brother in law. Slowly working through Lolo. Zeldas and Marios are great. These are games I wouldn't have purchased otherwise. Obviously it's missing lots of games and future consoles but the idea is great so far.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm not even sure what the fuck 'enthusiasts' means here? You mean putting back in basic features that the other hardware providers have and have had for north of a decade now? System level voice chat? Achievements/Trophies? Themes? I mean its enough thinking about it to pop a vein. I mean they took fucking Miiverse away, arguably the one thing they did right for no perceivable reason and instead of improving it, they simply further regressed into this super-bare-bones thing they call NSO. If Miiverse wasn't a good thing, then Sony wouldn't have even bothered putting communities and shit into PS4's dashboard.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Will they ditch the phone app or actually make it good?
Please do something

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what the fuck 'enthusiasts' means here? You mean putting back in basic features that the other hardware providers have and have had for north of a decade now? System level voice chat? Achievements/Trophies? Themes? I mean its enough thinking about it to pop a vein. I mean they took fucking Miiverse away, arguably the one thing they did right for no perceivable reason and instead of improving it, they simply further regressed into this super-bare-bones thing they call NSO. If Miiverse wasn't a good thing, then Sony wouldn't have even bothered putting communities and shit into PS4's dashboard.
You could take a breather.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with just getting digital manuals for the NES games. I'd look up how to play them if the Switch actually had a browser. Speaking of which...