• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading stuff like "Trademark and IP are different things" and others nonsense so I'll quote myself again:

Trademark is an intellectual property right. There are different kinds of IPR, but in the case of a game's name, Trademark and Copyright are the only two that really apply. A trademark needs to be registered and renewed generally every ten years. However, when a company doesn't use it for three consecutive years (in US, the length varies depending on the country but it's generally three to five years), it's considered as abandoned, which doesn't necessarily means the original holder has no right on it but it becomes much more feasible for another company to get their hands on it.

Copyright is different as in it doesn't protect just a name like Trademark does but rather a work (like a photography) and you don't even need to register it to have copyrights rights on your work. It lasts for like 70 years but law varies a lot depending on the country.

In this case, considering PlatinumGames was the original developer in any case, I don't think Copyright would be such a big hurdle. But it depends a lot on details we simply don't have. As for Trademark, it seems to be abandoned in both USPTO and EUIPO but Microsoft can still have common law rights despite the situation.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that rumor specifically Scalebound coming to Switch, or Scalebound being revived but not as an XB1 exclusive? Because I think we've seen varying reports from different people about that specific rumor.

Scalebound on Switch specifically was a rumor

All I'll say about it. And I'm not vouching for its credibility. Could have been a false rumor (lots of fake things are passed around all the time)

I'm simply saying, yes that existed and it's interesting to see it popping back up

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound on Switch specifically was a rumor

All I'll say about it. And I'm not vouching for its credibility. Could have been a false rumor (lots of fake things are passed around all the time)

I'm simply saying, yes that existed and it's interesting to see it popping back up

Great, thank you for the clarification.

Man, if this thing is real, then who the fuck is directing it ? Because it's definitely not Kamiya.

What makes you say that? He's currently supervising Astral Chain but that appears to be nearly done, what else is he specifically doing?

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Look, if this shit is actually real, then I'm sad that it has leaked.

Imagine the shock of seeing Scalebound pop up at Nintendo's E3 Direct without any prior expectation.
Exactly. I'm also fascinated by the way one person finally speaks up... and then a butt ton suddenly follow up claiming they've heard the same thing.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you say that? He's currently supervising Astral Chain but that appears to be nearly done, what else is he specifically doing?

Nothing, that's the point. I've heard a lot about the situation of Platinum Games back in late 2018 and one thing was made very clear to me: Kamiya was not directing anything at all at this point.

Which is why I was very doubtful of this rumor in the first place: who would be making it ?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. I'm also fascinated by the way one person finally speaks up... and then a butt ton suddenly follow up claiming they've heard the same thing.

This is not abnormal

Most people that know things dont share them

Its shitty to possibly burn / people you care about. Leaking things puts people potentially in danger. Once it's out in the open though that changes things

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, that's the point. I've heard a lot about the situation of Platinum Games back in late 2018 and one thing was made very clear to me: Kamiya was not directing anything at all at this point.

Which is why I was very doubtful of this rumor in the first place: who would be making it ?

Oh, weird. Then yeah that would definitely cast doubt on this rumor.

Mar 23, 2018
I was the Creative Producer of Scalebound. No secret.

This might not be the most suitable moment but you are the right person to ask to in this case because your words will not be misunderstood or taken out of context.

On twitter, you said you helped out on the pitch of Astral Chain back in the day and that it looked pretty different now. From Astral Chain's trailer, did you think "hey, this reminds of this stuff from Scalebound" or did you get any general Scalebound vibes? I personally still do not see a resemblance between the two footages, so perhaps this resemblance comes from closed doors footage that we, the public, didn't get to see. I'm asking because some of people who knew about this said "Scalebound? Didn't you see Astral Chain?" and it's getting confusing.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, if this thing is real, then who the fuck is directing it ? Because it's definitely not Kamiya.

SCALEBOUND

for NINTENDO SWITCH

Supervisor
HIDEKI KAMIYA

Directed by
EIRO SHIRAHAMA

50KS8.png
50KS8.png
50KS8.png

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's not really surprising that Kamiya isn't directing anything. He's done directing, he's the senior vice president of PlatinumGames, and Chief Game Designer. He's the boss of the dev teams, he won't have time to direct anything from now on imo.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really surprising that Kamiya isn't directing anything. He's done directing, he's the senior vice president of PlatinumGames, and Chief Game Designer. He's the boss of the dev teams, he won't have time to direct anything from now on imo.
Actually it due to too busy on Twitter, keep tweeting all the time is serious business.

Oct 25, 2017
cross post with the Astral Chain thread:
I've been seeing people mention that Astral Chain is what happened to Scalebound, but I can't say I agree.
From the setting, to the combat, to the aesthetics, to the engine, to the music, to even the genre. An AI partner and a bow is basically the only similarities I could think of?

However, I think it's possible it's based off one cancelled game - MGR.
Timeline could match up pretty well, MGR2 was teased in 2015. Two years later it was nowhere to be seen and Astral Chain started development.
The setting (futuristic/cyberpunk city), blade wolf, and the gameplay match up more I feel.
DzyTOewXgAAB-wg.jpg
DzyTisDW0AEZtkG.jpg

These two are pretty obvious. Two stealth take downs that require surprising the enemy. Even has the Metal Gear ?, perhaps as a nod.
In the roof top scene you see you and your legion sneak up on a tough armored enemy to stun them and unleash a joint combo.

Legion is probably a mix of ideas, maybe blade wolf was going to follow you in 2 and fight alongside you. Likely had to replace Rising's cut and take gimmick with something original, but this seems cool.

At least that's my take instead of "it's obviously scalebound"

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
cross post with the Astral Chain thread:
I've been seeing people mention that Astral Chain is what happened to Scalebound, but I can't say I agree.
From the setting, to the combat, to the aesthetics, to the engine, to the music, to even the genre. An AI partner and a bow is basically the only similarities I could think of?

However, I think it's possible it's based off one cancelled game - MGR.
Timeline could match up pretty well, MGR2 was teased in 2015. Two years later it was nowhere to be seen and Astral Chain started development.
The setting (futuristic/cyberpunk city), blade wolf, and the gameplay match up more I feel.
DzyTOewXgAAB-wg.jpg
DzyTisDW0AEZtkG.jpg

These two are pretty obvious. Two stealth take downs that require surprising the enemy. Even has the Metal Gear ?, perhaps as a nod.
In the roof top scene you see you and your legion sneak up on a tough armored enemy to stun them and unleash a joint combo.

Legion is probably a mix of ideas, maybe blade wolf was going to follow you in 2 and fight alongside you. Likely had to replace Rising's cut and take gimmick with something original, but this seems cool.

At least that's my take instead of "it's obviously scalebound"
I don't think it's re using ideas from a cancelled MGR2 but I agree that it has more of a MGR vibe than a Scalebound vibe, from the combat to the futuristic setting.
You're also right about the stealth scene with the "?" lol

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

That lines up with what Ehoavash said as well, that Kamiya probably wouldn't be directing anything anytime soon.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
y'are joking but the guy worked as game designer on bayo 2 and TW101
Feel bad for Shirahama. It's not like he's gotten a chance to direct with both time and budget.
Though I'm not sure if it was his idea to make TMNT an open world game with bad co-op.

I think I remember some reviews saying the traversal was pretty cool, tho

Oh I'm sure he'd do a decent job with something resembling a budget and under one of those fabled Nintendo producers.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to finally play Thrill Kill!!

....oh wait, yes I can.

Does anybody have a list of publicly announced and then canceled games over the last few years?

All I can think of is Deep Down, Scalebound and that Phantom Dust remake.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before this whole Scalebound Switch rumor business started all I knew about the actual game was that it was cancelled and a XBOX exclusive. When it was originally announced I didn't care because I don't own a Microsoft system.

I decided to watch old videos and interviews made by IGN and other outlets on Scalebound and.....

Now I want this game! Lol... I can see Microsoft and PG going head to head in creative differences for this game. Where Microsoft would want this title to be more of a service and Platinum wanting this to be more of a.... Game that's not a service.

I hope this rumor is true and Nintendo Let's Platinum make this game into the IP they envisioned it.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum seems to be always very comfortable when working with Nintendo, which tends to result in better games.

Jun 22, 2018
I'm not saying Scalebound is coming to Switch, I think the whole rumor is bull, but the trademark being abandoned means precisely that MS can no longer enforce it. I'm correcting you on that specific point.
It means they can't enforce use of the trademark, but a trademark isn't the only thing protecting an IP. Copyright is arguably an even bigger protection and the copyright protection on everything created for Scalebound will still stand.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man about 45% of this topic will be so disappointed when it turns out it's MegaMan legends 3.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It means they can't enforce use of the trademark, but a trademark isn't the only thing protecting an IP. Copyright is arguably an even bigger protection and the copyright protection on everything created for Scalebound will still stand.
I know, and IP ownership in this case is muddy (the name is abandoned owing to the trademark being abandoned, the assets are presumably owned by MS since they were made under contract to them, the idea cannot be "owned", so it belongs to no one). That's not the point I am contesting anyway. I am saying, specifically, that the trademark is not owned by MS. That is literally indisputable.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya isn't directing anything obviously because he's leaving himself open for when Capcom makes the call and books in the order for Viewtiful Joe 3

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, here's LordKano's post again:

Trademark is an intellectual property right. There are different kinds of IPR, but in the case of a game's name, Trademark and Copyright are the only two that really apply. A trademark needs to be registered and renewed generally every ten years. However, when a company doesn't use it for three consecutive years (in US, the length varies depending on the country but it's generally three to five years), it's considered as abandoned, which doesn't necessarily means the original holder has no right on it but it becomes much more feasible for another company to get their hands on it.

Copyright is different as in it doesn't protect just a name like Trademark does but rather a work (like a photography) and you don't even need to register it to have copyrights rights on your work. It lasts for like 70 years but law varies a lot depending on the country.

In this case, considering PlatinumGames was the original developer in any case, I don't think Copyright would be such a big hurdle. But it depends a lot on details we simply don't have. As for Trademark, it seems to be abandoned in both USPTO and EUIPO but Microsoft can still have common law rights despite the situation.

IP law is complicated but in this case yes, the Trademark being abandoned does mean it's possible another party can use the Scalebound name. Depending on a bunch of factors, such as time after abandonment.

Feb 12, 2019
Scalebound makes alot of sense. As does Silent Hill given how hyped the canned first person Silent Hill was. Doubt Koonami would play nice, given they seem to care less and less about console gaming. Maybe Nintendo will just buy up Koonami's IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.