• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to have forgotten my statements. I claimed that the image showed that the development was troublesome essentially.

The point of what I'm saying is that the game has a troubled development. If you don't wish to believe a random reddit post, that is understandable. However my intention from the start was to convey that it has troubled development which I proved in later posts.

Seems there was a misunderstanding.
yeah, i know development was rocky.
Just shutting down the reddit post

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find where I read this information but I swear I remember reading that Platinum approached Nintendo about Astral Chains before the Switch even launched, so if that was the case (not really sure if it is) then the whole Scalebound becoming Astral Chains doesn't make sense. With that said I highly doubt its Scalebound though. Feel like Nintendo would want to go for something a bit more nostalgic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something, but it's interesting that Hideki Kamiya didn't post anything regarding the new Scalebound info.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft funded them for years, ever since 2013 and the game was suppose to be 2016 but got delayed then delayed again. I do not blame Microsoft at all for cancelling the project that Platinum Games failed to deliver in time.

C1H4tkv.png
Expecting a big budget(ish) open world online coop action RPG to be developed in 3 years is pretty unreasonable, especially from a relatively small indie developer like Platinum Games. Microsoft has been far too trigger happy canceling games in the past few years. I don't doubt there were some issues with Scalebound's development, but the idea seemed strong enough that with 1-2 years of extra development, I don't see why it couldn't have been polished & morphed into something really fun. Like the boss fight we saw. They could make the boss attack faster, be more aggressive and maybe add a couple of projectile/long distance attacks that require the player to be more mobile, adjust the dragons movement in ways that make controlling it feel more dynamic & exciting. Fix it without completely having to start from scratch. There are plenty of games that don't come together until final phases of development. Most recently apparently God of War 4 was really unfun just months prior to going gold. But then they adjusted some things & finished others and it came together to offer a great experience in the end.

synaesthesiaJP

Verified
Feb 20, 2018
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/scalebound-gameplay/ Here's an early preview of the game, complete with the first gameplay footage of the game, which says or indicates nothing about online. It does however say the game would include up to four player co op, but that differs greatly from what we saw near the cancellation of the game, with tons of players swarming around in one area.

It's crystal clear that this game was originally slated to be a single player arpg.

No. It wasn't. It was always a co-op game from the first paper design document. We didn't reveal co-op at first other than teasing it in the CG trailer and hinting hard in interviews. The first year we only showed gameplay, we only showed single player because that was always the marketing plan. The tons of players swarming was four players and their dragons in a boss fight. The same four players and their dragons hinted at in the CG reveal.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What was that Suda51 game that became Let It Die?

Little Big...something

What if Suda51 went back and said "Hey, how about we make the game we originally intended it to be?"
If it is Scalebound they need to remove Isekai aspect of the story. Wasnt feeling that shit or the headphones.
Wait...what now?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Idk why people are saying "they already have Astral Chain, why do they need Scalebound??"

Games are games dude, the more the merrier!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So, announced and then cancelled, my guesses are...

Dead Phoenix - Gamecube exclusive that got shit-canned as part of the "Capcom 5" at the time.
Shadow Of The Eternals - Eternal Darkness spiritual successor. No confirmation that it was outright cancelled though after Dennis Dyack's failed kickstarters.
Legacy Of Kain: Dead Sun - Cancelled in favour of "Nosgoth", that multiplayer game set in the same universe.
Scalebound - Well it is just laying there, Nintendo might pump some money into Platinum to develop yet another exclusive for their system.
Sadness - That Wii horror game with the monochrome style.
Raven Blade - Shown off in cinematic form before launch in some form when the gamecube was about to hit, Nintendo cancelled it and put Retro on Metroid Prime.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
*If* it is scalebound, Nintendo has sure grown a pair.

I can't really recall them ever doing something like this before.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Idk why people are saying "they already have Astral Chain, why do they need Scalebound??"

Games are games dude, the more the merrier!

I agree, just because they share some similar elements doesn't mean both can't exist, it's like saying why should Nintendo bother making Kirby games when they have Mario.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
No. It wasn't. It was always a co-op game from the first paper design document. We didn't reveal co-op at first other than teasing it in the CG trailer and hinting hard in interviews. The first year we only showed gameplay, we only showed single player because that was always the marketing plan. The tons of players swarming was four players and their dragons in a boss fight. The same four players and their dragons hinted at in the CG reveal.
Go on.....

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WIth Metroid kinda of blowing up in their faces and restarting I kind of suspect as the alphas were coming in they jumpstarted Eternal Darkness and greenlit it.

Scalebound would be cool, but it was really running poorly on XBox, I doubt they could optimize it in a reasonable amount of time to run on switch. They could stream it like Resident Evil 7, but I'm not sure how well that would be recieved.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Quickly going back and deleting all the negative things I said about Scalebound

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
what if it's Star Wars Rogue Squadron Trilogy? Factor V is on record saying they want to port it and it wouldn't take much. And EA can approve of other projects(and it's technically a collection/port which we've seen of other older Star Wars games)

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wasn't Factor 5 dissolved into Hulu?
They resurrected Bayonetta into basically being their own franchise.

They weren't dissolved, they just work on the Hulu app. They've stated many times that the Wii game is ready to go and they could upscale it for Switch easily.
Yep you got it, they never dissolved they've just been focused on ap development for game consoles. And yeah there was an interview the other year

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact your talking so freely about the project, it's probably safe to assume that this isn't the game Nintendo reviving then. If it was, you'd be media silent.

Pack it up everyone, time to speculate on other games.

Oct 26, 2017
I voted Megaman Legends 3. It seems like platinum has enough going on already.

Megaman has had all those classic collection releases and 11. It's time.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo is picking up Scalebound, I'm not surprised. Open world fantasy is swiftly becoming a trademark genre for Switch, Nintendo are solid PlatinumGames supporters, and there's precedent for them doing this type of thing- they can basically swoop in and reap the benefit of a half-finished game its owner isn't willing to cough up for. All the pieces fit. Nintendo also has ten times the producing experience Microsoft does, so they'll see that the game is done right. Assuming this is all actually happening, of course.

Regarding the game itself, while I can't say I was ever truly excited about it based on what we were shown, I never doubted PlatinumGames or Kamiya. I was fully ready to go ahead and buy a Xbone (and did) in anticipation of the game based on their pedigree and enthusiasm alone. Also, I don't think we were ever publicly let in on what the full potential of Scalebound offered. Not even close. The stuff the press was reporting on behind closed doors close to its cancellation sounded really exciting.

Fingers tentatively crossed.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Supposing Astral Chain actually served as a base to Scalebound, both games are still different enough to co-exist and Platinum could very well have changed the game to be something even more different, maybe had the focus changed to the dragon, I dunno, if this is real it will probably be very different from what we've seen. Specially if the game's main ideas weren't working well like some claim.

Also someone verify JP Kellams!

Status
Not open for further replies.