• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I see people here saying MS shoehorned Co op in the game and that this wasn't Kamiya's initial vision for the game. But is that factual at all? I recall the very first gameplay trailer showing co-op parts near the end.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When Nintendo announces the next PG game after Astral Chain people are gonna be like:

"I can definitely see how Scalebound turned into this!"
full

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My predictions:

At E3, Microsoft and Nintendo announce a new partnership. Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference and Nintendo's E3 2019 Direct are one and the same - both live-streamed from xbox.com and nintendo.com and showing the same content/conference.

At the dual Microsoft presser / Nintendo direct:

1) Microsoft and Nintendo announce their next generation systems: Xbox Scarlett and Nintendo Switch 2. They're two SKUs for the same console family. Xbox Scarlett acts like an Xbox One X in the family - a very powerful, traditional disc console. Nintendo Switch 2 acts like the Xbox One S in the family - a less powerful console, but like the Switch, it is portable, can be docked, and uses cartridges.

2) All Xbox Scarlett games will be playable on Nintendo Switch 2 and vice-versa. Xbox Scarlett games will be purchasable via blu-ray disc, and Nintendo Switch 2 games will be purchasable via cartridge. Digital libraries between both consoles are shared.

3) Nintendo Online is replaced by Xbox Live.

4) Microsoft and Nintendo announce a joint-purchase of Platinum Games. And they announce that Scalebound is being revived and will come out on Scarlett and Switch 2.

5) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will get re-released Switch 2 and Scarlett version. It will have Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Steve from Minecraft, Alan Wake, Cortana, Banjo/Kazooie, and various other characters.
As it's Microsoft, I assume PC gets all this too. Bring it on, sounds lovely!

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If it's Scalebound and it turns out good then holy shit MS will never hear the end of it.

I'm worried if it is real, media will start to bash on the game regardless of what it actually is, claiming that is bad because it's not as good visually as it could have been,... When really this could just be Kamiya wanting this game to be real and this would be good news for those who wanted to play that game (myself included). Again, all of this assuming this is real, even though i don't think it is.

I remember when the game was cancelled two years ago many people wished Nintendo or Sony stepped in to release it anyway.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be dense. The people who were most upset were XBox owners, lol.

With this deal, they still wouldn't have it on their platform.

It's kinda like saying Nintendo would build goodwill by reviving F-Zero as a PS4-exclusive.
I don't think that's true. People who were generally Platinum fans were upset. I don't think Xbox-only gamers who love Platinum games exist in large enough amounts to matter.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound fell apart because Microsoft wanted Platinum to shoehorn in a multiplayer mode and they didn't want to IIRC. I'm pretty sure it would be fine on Switch, since Nintendo would just let Platinum do their thing.

I don't think there's been any actual information on the why. Just speculation.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think that's true. People who were generally Platinum fans were upset. I don't think Xbox-only gamers who love Platinum games exist in large enough amounts to matter.

I would say you're being downright arrogant and dismissive there.

Microsoft literally had to buy half a dozen in order to make a statement. The sheer amount of criticism for their lackluster offerings in their platform were rather deafening. The whole point of building goodwill is to attract people to your platform, which wouldn't happen by offering something exclusively in another platform.

If Nintendo had a cinematic game they cancelled, only for Sony to revive it later, I can tell you there would be a riot.

"But Nintendo fans don't care because they don't want cinematic AAA games in their platform"

Last edited:

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
haha I hope it's Scalebound. It would be funny if the game turns to be totally awesome, it would be a total slap on the face for MS

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Oof that would truly be a monkeys paw moment. Scalebound deserves to be on a technically capable machine.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Don't be dense. The people who were most upset were XBox owners, lol.

With this deal, they still wouldn't have it on their platform.

It's kinda like saying Nintendo would build goodwill by reviving F-Zero as a PS4-exclusive.

I don't own an Xbox and I was upset about scalebound being cancelled since it would also be on pc

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft literally had to buy half a dozen in order to make a statement. The sheer amount of criticism for their lackluster offerings in their platform were rather deafening.

If Nintendo had a cinematic game they cancelled, only for Sony to revive it later, I can tell you there would be a riot.
Well those fans would be like... huge babies too right?

Option 1: Scalebound never exists. Everyone who ever wanted it is miserable forever.
Option 2: Scalebound gets bought by Nintendo and Kamiya makes it. Microsoft gets over themselves and realizes that it's better to have the game into existence even if they don't make it, and comes across as a bigger more just company. Fans who have the switch are happy. People who like Kamiya are happy. More joy is brought into the world.

I don't know how anyone can say Option 1 is better than Option 2 without also admitting they're incredibly selfish. There's no secret Option 3 where it also comes to Xbox because Kamiya hates Microsoft.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If that rumor is true, Microsoft is gonna get a reality check that Nintendo is not their friend.
I sometimes wonder how that narrative started when we only have minecraft on switch and phil saying some nice things on twiiter

people who think stuff like Ori could come to Switch is insane to me

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes wonder how that narrative started when we only have minecraft on switch and phil saying some nice things on twiiter

MS seems to want something to be there between the two though I'm not sure Nintendo is too keen.
Minecraft on both wii u and switch, cross play and promotion of the switch at their e3 show, and now Hellblade by their own studio.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Yeah I doubt it. Scalebounds core premise is pretty terrible. AI isn't anywhere near where it needs to be for a game where you rely on a companion for the entire game to be fun.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Option 1: Scalebound never exists. Everyone who ever wanted it is miserable forever.
Option 2: Scalebound gets bought by Nintendo and Kamiya makes it. Microsoft gets over themselves and realizes that it's better to have the game into existence even if they don't make it, and comes across as a bigger more just company. Fans who have the switch are happy. People who like Kamiya are happy. More joy is brought into the world.

I don't know how anyone can say Option 1 is better than Option 2 without also admitting they're incredibly selfish. There's no secret Option 3 where it also comes to Xbox because Kamiya hates Microsoft.

Microsoft is a fucking business, lol. That's a super naive thing you just wrote.

Microsoft builds goodwill for one reason only, attract more people to their ecosystem, so they can make more money. Having a property show up in a completely different platform but yours sends a completely wrong message.

I can easily tell you the PR Microsoft would get if such a thing were true would be incredibly negative. People would be crediting Nintendo for "saving" the project from Microsoft's incompetent hands.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain

Microsoft literally had to buy half a dozen in order to make a statement. The sheer amount of criticism for their lackluster offerings in their platform were rather deafening. The whole point of building goodwill is to attract people to your platform, which wouldn't happen by offering something exclusively in another platform.

"But Nintendo fans don't care because they don't want cinematic AAA games in their platform"

Too Human ? :P

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Holy damn at that update!! So is it going to be Scalebound!????? Megaton of the decade and the biggest slap in the face to Microsoft if true omfg. Nintendo pulling another Bayonetta 2 case with this.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

I mean... Did you see the hate Bayonetta 2's existence caused?

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lol why would it be scalebound...and why do people suddenly care about scalebound now that Nintendo has a 0.0002% chance of being involved with it.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
MS seems to want something to be there between the two though I'm not sure Nintendo is too keen.
Minecraft on both wii u and switch, cross play and promotion of the switch at their e3 show, and now Hellblade by their own studio.

The Hellblade port was already being done before the buyout.

People should stop using it as an example of Microsoft being generous. It's no different from Star Fox Adventures being done by Rare after they were bought. There's contracts for this sorta thing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is a fucking business, lol. That's a super naive thing you just wrote.

Microsoft builds goodwill for one reason only, attract more people to their ecosystem, so they can make more money. Having a property show up in a completely different platform but yours sends a completely wrong message.

I can easily tell you the PR Microsoft would get if such a thing were true would be incredibly negative. People would be crediting Nintendo for "saving" the project from Microsoft's incompetent hands.
Yes, and building goodwill from letting go of Scalebound could attract more people to their ecosystem. Compare that to keeping Scalebound from everyone, which is nothing but bad press.

That wouldn't be the narrative if Microsoft came out and said they wanted to give Kamiya the IP so he could have it he made somewhere else. The press about Bungie getting the rights to Destiny wasn't crazy negative towards Activision for example. People respect that kind of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some videos on why Scalebound was cancelled:

MS wasn't willing to budge on creative choices, and working with them proved very stressful that Kamiya and Producer JP Kallems had to take a break for their mental health.
PG had some ideas on how to improve performance but Microsoft were unwilling to scale back on certain features.

With creative freedom to maybe scale (heh) things back and focus what works, the game could be quite good

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Nintendo letting Microsoft bringing Xbox Live to the Switch through Minecraft to enable cross-play.

I don't understand why releasing Scalebound on Switch would be bad for Microsoft though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Minecraft is on everything and Nintendo said yes to the same offer MS gave to Sony about crossplay. Now you can say it was all politics and MS knew Sony's answer would be a no and the whole situation was designed to make Sony look bad but on the surface, it's not the bromance people make it out to be. Nintendo was coming off Wii U and had every incentive to get an edge.

As for Scalebound, we still haven't established Microsoft actually owns the code and design,just the general IP around scalebound. Nintendo could call it something else if Platinum repurposes the work done for Scalebound for the new Switch game.

The lead character is fugly and generic anyways and I hope they switch him up into something more palatable. (assuming it is Scalebound of course)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That would be hilarious, even better if it's excellent. Whether Microsoft own the IP and assets, who knows but Platinum could repurpose the idea for sure and call it something else.

It could really be simple, they couldn't put a good game together with Microsoft but some reflection and new ideas, they made it work. I don't think it's a knock on Microsoft, it just didn't work out. Now ignore Platinum never make another game for Microsoft, yeah maybe some strain there but that doesn't seem the case.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The Hellblade port was already being done before the buyout.

People should stop using it as an example of Microsoft being generous. It's no different from Star Fox Adventures being done by Rare after they were bought. There's contracts for this sorta thing.
And Microsoft and rare continued to release games on the gba and DS (Viva pinata, Diddy Kong racing, etc)

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

All Phil would have to do is put out a Tweet congratulating Kamiya and Nintendo.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
There are some videos on why Scalebound was cancelled:

MS wasn't willing to budge on creative choices, and working with them proved very stressful that Kamiya and Producer JP Kallems had to take a break for their mental health.
PG had some ideas on how to improve performance but Microsoft were unwilling to scale back on certain features.

I didn't know Gamingbrit worked at Platinum or Microsoft, I thought he was just a guy who just compared every game to DMC no matter how asinine.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is huge, if it's actually scalebound. I fear for how it would look and the framerate too, judging as how rough assassins creed 3 and other ports look on switch.

I wanted megaman legends :(

Status
Not open for further replies.