• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If it's Scalebound and they fix up the rough edges about it, I'm so down. (give it some cool cell shaded look and make it 60 fps!)

It was my most anticipated XB1 game at announcement.

MajorB

Apr 18, 2018
So, just as a sanity check here, is it possible that the revived game being Scalebound and Scalebound becoming Astral Chain are both true?

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

COME ON, NINTENDO!! I BELIEVE!!!
i dont understand why this game doesn't exist yet

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
It would be a fun turn of events indeed :D But that will require redeveloping the game from scratch keeping just the concept.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Trademark is an intellectual property right. There are different kinds of IPR, but in the case of a game's name, Trademark and Copyright are the only two that really apply. A trademark needs to be registered and renewed generally every ten years. However, when a company doesn't use it for three consecutive years (in US, the length varies depending on the country but it's generally three to five years), it's considered as abandoned, which doesn't necessarily means the original holder has no right on it but it becomes much more feasible for another company to get their hands on it.

Copyright is different as in it doesn't protect just a name like Trademark does but rather a work (like a photography) and you don't even need to register it to have copyrights rights on your work. It lasts for like 70 years but law varies a lot depending on the country.

In this case, considering PlatinumGames was the original developer in any case, I don't think Copyright would be such a big hurdle. But it depends a lot on details we simply don't have. As for Trademark, it seems to be abandoned in both USPTO and EUIPO but Microsoft can still have common law rights despite the situation.

Thank you for explaining that, it should help some of the discussion here.

I misunderstood your post as one of the ones claiming that now that the trademark was abandoned by Microsoft, Nintendo could just swoop in and use the IP.

Gotcha, no problem. I made quite a few posts in this and the locked thread trying to make the same correction you did.

IP law isn't really something the average person understands or deals with in day to day life so naturally there is gonna be some confusion in threads like these.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i can't think of a situation where mega man legends makes sense. iwata seemed to be the dealmaker with capcom and after his death, sony went in hard and secured a partnership for most games, combined with capcom's desire to be on consoles and off handhelds (a deal that seems to have paid off for them pretty well). maybe capcom's figured out a way to get monster hunter world on the switch or nintendo entered in for their own deal with capcom to get the game exclusively, but we're talking about a canceled sequel to a series that's over 20 years old. it doesn't have a lot of value.

scalebound makes more sense in that nintendo and platinum have been working together for a good number of years at this stage. with astral chain, star fox, and two bayonettas funded since 2014, paying for one more wouldn't be a major issue - nintendo already knows the score with this company and it seems their producers work well with platinum. it would also be a pretty solid score as far as building the switch's userbase with an ex-microsoft game. nintendo playing hero with this game like they did for bayonetta 2 would ultimately work out in their favor, especially since the wii u is not the switch. the major issue is that it would probably need to be completely remade. it's not like bayonetta 2 where ps3 and wii u weren't that much different. scalebound was built for the xbox one, and remaking it for switch would require more time and effort than just finishing up a game.

the same goes for something like silent hills. whatever was done would need to be made from scratch. plus, it's not like nintendo and konami have a strong relationship outside of some smash bros. stuff, and guillermo del toro and kojima seemed pretty key to the project. producing it without them would be a nonstarter creatively speaking.

cry on seems like a good shot. made for xbox 360-level hardware, cancelled, and from a small team that nintendo worked with previously for a couple titles. nintendo may not have been willing to support sakaguchi when they were struggling with wii u and planning the switch, but maybe now that the system is pretty stable, they're willing to branch out again. they could also be working with marvelous if anyone from the original cavia team was around, considering how closely nintendo is working with them for daemon x machina.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't get it, how is it going to be scalebound? isn't that a microsoft IP? even if they change the name, is PG allowed to use the concept and the work done on the project?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, just as a sanity check here, is it possible that the revived game being Scalebound and Scalebound becoming Astral Chain are both true?
Does AC look like a Scalebound copy in a different skin? If Kamiya really wanted to make it but MS pulled it because it looked trash, maybe he found another partner in MS who will throw cash his way.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

I don't see why not. Take Scalebound, change the Dragon to the Legion, reskin it with Sci-fi and manga art, and you pretty much have what we know of Astral Chain.

Of course, the rumor would still be false, because Astral Chain isn't Scalebound, but it's plausible that Scalebound's ideas and basic gameplay loop have been repurposed into Astral Chain.

Does AC look like a Scalebound copy in a different skin?

It does.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
Those were at least decently spaced out. They weren't working on Star Fox while doing TW101 (I don't think anyway).

I suppose if they only started working on another game after releasing Astral Chain, that'd be one thing. But how many games can they work on at once? Don't forget, SE still has them signed on for Babylon's Fall.

But the main thing is: Why get the Scalebound IP when they could just make a brand new IP about a dude with a dragon?

Monolith Soft to the rescue if Nintendo got a hold of the IP? They could definitely lend a hand to Platinum Games on making the game. Maybe it isn't the Scalebound that we've seen, but the original vision of the Wii game Kamiya was initially working on.

Also, in case ZhugeEX sees this. You've had me blocked on Twitter for two years, and I never found out why. Can I please be reinstated? :( @ForceinUnison

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh when I first saw the thread title this morning I immediately thought of Scalebound, lol. No joke, and now it has some rumored weight to it? It's gotta either be Scalebound or Megaman Legends 3. Those are the only two cancelled games that made a big enough impact as cancelled projects that would be feesible for the Switch.

The only other game that was cancelled that was even more high profile than that from a Japanese developer is Final Fantasy Versus13, but there ain't no way Nintendo is touching that (...or is there?).

Another possibility I could see is Okami 2. It doesn't need Platinum Games involvement afterall. What if Nintendo is developing it in-house with Aonuma in charge?

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Astral Chain is releasing pretty soon. Scalebound could be in pre-prod. Case reopened.
So you're saying that this game got leaked within days to weeks of its pitch/preproduction? Sounds horribly unlikely. Also if that were even the case, then that would mean we won't see this game release for a good 3 years or so

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't see why not. Take Scalebound, change the Dragon to the Legion, reskin it with Sci-fi and manga art, and you pretty much have what we know of Astral Chain.

Of course, the rumor would still be false, because Astral Chain isn't Scalebound, but it's plausible that Scalebound's ideas and basic gameplay loop have been repurposed into Astral Chain.

It does.
Well, maybe it is then. Seems odd that he could not manage with MS, yet seems to push out another Nintendo title.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I just don't see why Microsoft would sell the rights to Scalebound even if they aren't doing anything with it.

By that logic you'd think Nintendo would've tried to buy back some of the unused Rare IP.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Trademark is an intellectual property right. There are different kinds of IPR, but in the case of a game's name, Trademark and Copyright are the only two that really apply. A trademark needs to be registered and renewed generally every ten years. However, when a company doesn't use it for three consecutive years (in US, the length varies depending on the country but it's generally three to five years), it's considered as abandoned, which doesn't necessarily means the original holder has no right on it but it becomes much more feasible for another company to get their hands on it.

Copyright is different as in it doesn't protect just a name like Trademark does but rather a work (like a photography) and you don't even need to register it to have copyrights rights on your work. It lasts for like 70 years but law varies a lot depending on the country.

In this case, considering PlatinumGames was the original developer in any case, I don't think Copyright would be such a big hurdle. But it depends a lot on details we simply don't have. As for Trademark, it seems to be abandoned in both USPTO and EUIPO but Microsoft can still have common law rights despite the situation.
A Good Post.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
You are conflating what I said with what Leakypanda said. I said to keep an eye on Platinum in 2019. That's all I said. The number three was never mentioned by me.

The switch rumor archive thread exists so people can keep track of who said what.
Sorry and thanks for clarification!

About that, I don't trust them so much, so we will see. Scalebound was the reason why I bought Xbox One, so I would be happy to see it on Nintendo Switch.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That moment when you realize, if Platinum really is making Scalebound for Nintendo, we're going to get Scalebound and a new IP on Switch before the Wonderful 101.

Let me repeat that.

There is a possibility that Scalebound will appear on Nintendo Switch before the Wonderful 101.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Wasn't this how Bayonetta 2 happens pretty much?

No one else wanted to fund it at the time so Nintendo picked it up?

Bayonetta 2 wasn't cancelled by MS, like Scalebound.

It was just left without a publisher when Sega backed out after the game was nearly done and it was at a time Nintendo didn't have a single significant 3rd party dev/pub on their side. Same reason Devil's third happened.

absolutely not the same case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.