• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
you know is coming

7940_chrono_trigger_1_0575074396f6a5dacd269d226a6abf1e.jpg

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't interested in this thread...until the Scalebound mention....

It has my attention now.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Having seen Scalebound running a few times at events, it struggled to run on Xbox One. If it was ever to be on Switch, it'd have to be considerably downgraded, or a different game.

This seems like bad fanfiction to me, but I was waiting for some Nintendo fansite to pull out "sources" naming Scalebound as soon as the kinda funny rumor came out, and I wasn't disappointed.

Also, the IP is owned by Microsoft. The trademark is irrelevant to the ownership of the IP.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound looked underwhelming-to-ridiculous on XB1 and would on Switch. Outside of ERA's [mostly justified] Platinum boner it baffles me people still want this.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Can we have Nintendo to produce all the dead and buried games?

The Switch would be the best console ever with Starcraft Ghost, Half Life 3, Cry On and Donkey Kong Racing.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
no way this is Scalebound, I am shocked people think nintendo would take leftovers from the competition.

MS cancelled that game FOR A REASON.

that reason being, it wasn't up to the quality standards

and people expect nintendo, of all companies to invest precious money and resources there??? c'mon people

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something worth noting about Scalebound,

The entire concept that they worked with under Microsoft was drastically different from what the entire IP was supposedly originally intended to be. Apparently the original idea was a story about a girl raising a dragon, and began development all the way back on the Wii. I'm not really sure if the IP as it existed under Microsoft was a concept Kamiya had much heart for, marketing was pretty quiet during the entire game's leadup, Kamiya seemed pretty "whatever" about a game he apparently always wanted to make, and one of the purported reasons the project was buckling was creative differences between P* and MS. The entire presentation of the game, along with the way the protagonist looked like, and the multiplayer concept, felt like it was Microsoft mandated rather than anything Platinum and Kamiya was hoping to go for (an ironic inverse of when Nintendo shot down PG's idea for TW101 being a more corporate-driven Nintendo all-star title, instead wanting them to make something entirely original and intrinsic to them).

Again, I have my doubts that Scalebound is the title we're talking about (even if some insiders seem to be spreading the rumor while Zhuge seems to be shooting it down), I feel like the concept of a synchronous combat system was something they've already implemented into Astral Chain... but then it's important to consider the fact that if Scalebound is brought back, I don't think it's going to be brought back the way it was initially revealed. I think it might end up harkening back to Kamiya's original concept for the game, which was a drastically different title. It'd be Scalebound in-name only. The protagonist is bound to get a redesign anyway because he basically looks exactly like DMC5 Nero.

So who knows. If it's Scalebound... it's probably not going to be an action title like the one we saw. I'd actually be down for Platinum to not do a stylish hack-and-slash like they usually do, I enjoy it when they go a little off the beaten path such as games like Vanquish and Okami (when they were still Clover).

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I very strongly doubt it's Scalebound. The game that PG was developing with Microsoft seems well beyond the Switch's capabilities, not to mention Nintendo would have to negotiate with Microsoft for it and Nintendo probably doesn't need that kind of game in its lineup at the moment.

If I had to guess, reviving the Eternal Darkness sequel seems more likely to me (though not necessarily with Denis Dyack on board).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Scalebound come back, but I thought it was owned by Microsoft.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Game I want it to be - Silent Hills (oh god yes, but unlikely)

Game it's most likely to be - Scalebound/MML3 (don't care too much)

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao now I think this entire rumor is fake. Theres no fucking way they'd get Scalebound. Not with their 3 other large ongoing projects

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Do we really need Scalebound anyways with its two-partner combo concept of Dragon and trainer with adventure when we already have Astral Chain which seems to directly adapt that tag team idea?

2P8p0C5.jpg

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Is it Scalebound and asuming the IP belongs to MS, neither platinum or nintendo could use any of the assets, code, art, etc developed for the game as that would Intelectual Property of Microsoft, unless the contract stated otherwise. What could be done is use the core gameplay and concepts to develop an entirely new game based on them.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
no way this is Scalebound, I am shocked people think nintendo would take leftovers from the competition.

MS cancelled that game FOR A REASON.

that reason being, it wasn't up to the quality standards

and people expect nintendo, of all companies to invest precious money and resources there??? c'mon people

Lol they did invest in devil's third

Also Microsoft was pretty over ambitious with scalebound..I mean they wanted to include 4 player online co-op where each player can have their own big ass dragon on screen fighting alongside the player .there's a lot that can be cut and salvageable

Anyway I don't know anything about this ru or so lol this is fun

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Live/Dead indicator: DEAD
Doesn't look like it.

I still think this is highly unlikely though.

The trademark being dead does not invalidate ownership of the IP.

Nintendo lost the Eternal Darkness trademark for a time but that didn't mean they lost their ownership of the first game or the assets created for it. It just meant someone else could apply to use the name if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.