• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Even if it was real, Nintendo should have realized value's goal isn't making games anymore it's counting money off steam sales.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this happened and I was a half life fan I would have been livid that this was the property they chose to allow rather than half life 3.

Oct 25, 2017
screen_shot_2014_12_01_at_11_33_12_pm_by_pogobox_d88bgtn-fullview.jpg

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Imagine if this is true : all the jokes about Half Life 3 being exclusive to Switch would have become kinda true.

The reactions on the internet would have been fun : new Half Life but it's a spin off, AND it's exclusive to Nintendo ? Lmao

Sounds fake, but still a funny story.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fucking cry laughing so hard, 2019 rumors have been the funniest fucking shit lol

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
There's no way Valve would have the balls to release a Half Life game not named 3. That would be taunting fans.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Valve released their first game in five years last Fall. It was Artifact, a Dota-themed TCG. It had less than 500 peak concurrent players today.

I totally believe that Valve are that ignorant.

So they're not allowed to make new games unless Half Life 3 comes first? Sounds super entitled. I don't think that's comparable at all. I agree a spin off now would be weird, but there's nothing ignorant about them working on other titles. They don't owe anyone anything

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think fans would have actually taken it.

We saw worse from Valve in recent years, like hyping a Dota card game as a new big announcement, or putting Portal on Bridge Constructor.

an Half Life turn based strategy game actually sounds legit.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think fans would have actually taken it.

We saw worse from Valve in recent years, like hyping a Dota card game, or putting Portal on Bridge Constructor.

an Half Life turn based strategy game actually sounds legit.
Neither of those things are worse:

Portal Bridge Constructor had nothing to do with Valve. It was an indie studio with a successful game who wanted to make a spin off featuring the Valve IP. Valve agreed to allow them to make it, and had no involvement with it themselves.

Artifact was a great game, on a platform Dota players actually fucking own.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Neither of those things are worse:

Portal Bridge Constructor had nothing to do with Valve. It was an indie studio with a successful game who approached Valve and asked them if they could make a spin off featuring the Valve IP. Valve didn't make it.

Artifact was a great game, on a platform Dota players actually fucking own.

Yeah but indeed the initial reaction from a Bridge Constructor Portal is "that's how you use this IP Valve?" regardless of their actual involvement in the development. Then of course the game is not bad for what it is.

A turn based Half Life actually sounds a lot more exciting than Artifact, for me at least. Artifact was the kind of announcement where if you are not into the Dota lore you don't care, and even if you are a Dota player you also might not care about card games, and it came out too late, card games were trending few years ago when Hearthstone was the big new thing, now it's hard to make an impact on that genre.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
imagine the reaction if the a logo faded in and said "Half-Life" only to have it say Tactics instead of 3 lmao
I'm still reeling over the devs who did the prototypes wanted the game to end somehow as a teaser tie in for Half Life 3 but the higher ups were like "no, we can't make a promise like that."

We already knew HL3 was dead but there shouldn't be any reason to cancel the universe because you aren't interested in making a bigger budget game. It's a shame that Nintendo was interested in moneyhatting Half Life from Valve. That's a bold smart move but I wonder how much more money they would need to give what fans really wanted.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Artifact's scenario is no where near as egregious as the one suggested here. You're comparing a dinky little card game, versus a tactics entry in a legendary PC franchise that has been memed to hell and back for a lack of new installments, that would have been exclusive to a platform most PC gamers don't even own. These aren't remotely comparable.

To be fair, the franchise is so old that the PC gamers back then are firmly in their middle aged years and have to be holding jobs where they could buy any console that such a game would become exclusive to.

Personally I would've been down for a Half Life Real Time strategy game but it's not easy to implement even with the IR and touch controls in each mode.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like if Nintendo had to choose they'd choose Portal over Half Life. An FPS puzzle game with humor, even dark, fits in way more than a horror lite post apocalyptic shooter.

Plus, I doubt Valve would be that tonedeaf.
Half Life makes way more sense if Nintendo is still in business of saving games that are clearly dead. It is crazy though with that goal in mind Nintendo would only put up enough cash for a top down experience instead of a first person one. It's smart in certain ways but really infuriating in others.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
when does nintendo ever "approach" anybody for anything. i'm sure i'm missing some odd instances here but for a half-life tactics game, lol

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If true, this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo and Valve tried to do something together only for it to fall through. Not sure why it keeps happening.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
when does nintendo ever "approach" anybody for anything. i'm sure i'm missing some odd instances here but for a half-life tactics game, lol

What are you talking about? Nintendo partners with third parties for quite a few exclusive games on their platforms. I'm sure they approched a number of companies for those exclusives.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I kinda would not be surprised if there was some truth to this. Intrigued by the concept, would of been quite fun.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This feels like some shit that would've been specifically made up to make a video game forum just spontaneously combust in confusion

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My problem with this video is how vague everything sounds. Nintendo wanted valve to make a half life game exclusive for switch? And them valve decided to do it instantly, accepting make a exclusive game for a console? And after some people trying out, the game was simply cancelled in 2017 without any reason? Not buying it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Nintendo does do some crazy stuff sometimes
EBJe2Qe.gif
Oh my God, this would've made it all worth it.
This feels like some shit that would've been specifically made up to make a video game forum just spontaneously combust in confusion
Yeah, it feels like,
1:"Hey man, you know what would've been awseome? Nintendo and Valve made an exclusive game"
2: "Oh God! Yeah! ... and what if it was a Half Life game too?!"
1: "Awesome."

note: I don't believe this rumor, but I'm not willing to say that these guys made it up for clicks. Maybe they just heard some crazy-talk from elsewhere.
Also: Am I that out of the loop and not paying attention? "Half-Life Tactics is a game you've probably heard someone speak of because the rumors of the game have been tossed around the community for years." Man, I need to pay more attention I guess.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, does anyone seriously think that Valve would make a game exclusively for a platform that's not their own?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Valve wouldn't be so stupid to consider this. Releasing a Half-Life game that isn't 3 or Episode 3 would lead to riots.