• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
/Internet begins to think up their wildest Microsoft / Nintendo collaboration dreams only to be disappointed.

*rinse and repeat

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soon
BossyUglyFawn-size_restricted.gif

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Will never happen, but I always thought the idea of a Nintendo version of Rare Replay would be fun.

Basically chunk out all the Xbox/Xbox 360 games and replace them with all of Rare's Donkey Kong games + Star Fox Adventures.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I suspect Super Lucky's Tale is another since it was leaked for Switch via CV profiles.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-super-lucky-tale-coming-to-the-switch.90575/

Also THQ Nordic could be involved because they are publishing MS games at retail on PC, and of course the OG THQ published MS's western games on GBA and DS (Japanese stuff like Blue Dragon were by others).

Does Microsoft own Lucky? It's not unprecedented for an indie game partially funded by a console maker to end up on other systems after a while.

And count me in for Rare Replay on Switch!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This would be really cool. But I'd just like to point out that we are now on a thread that is based on a rumor, about a rumor, about another rumor. Lol.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Yeah but what's Microsoft going to get from Nintendo? NSO and all those free NES games?

The end goal for Microsoft is surely getting people signing into Xbox Live on Switch (as they do for Minecraft already), and eventually, if the tech works, getting XCloud on Switch so you can sign up for Game Pass (or whatever) and Stream those games to Switch.

They clearly want Xbox to become this 'Netflix of gaming' destination where you can pay a subscription or buy games and play them anywhere. They've already shown stuff like Xbox One games streaming to phones... Switch is a natural candidate for that, and it's really a win/win for both companies. All this ties in with other things we've known about, like the reported Fire/Chrome stick style Xbox Streaming device that leaked but appears to have been canned for now - that of course required an Xbox One elsewhere in the house to remotely stream from, but the Azure-powered XCloud future they envision won't require that. Meanwhile, for direct, local play of their titles they'll also still ship a new piece of Xbox Hardware.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
There seems to be enough chatter around this for awhile now that something must be going on.

Mar 23, 2018
The Nintendo x Xbox project should be an implementation of Xcloud on the Nintendo Switch.

Japan is ready for an streaming-only service like Xcloud and Xbox could improve their brand recognition in Japan by having their app(or whatever it will be) on the Switch, perhaps even pre-installed on the system. To me, it makes lots of sense. I don't think this is their only project but I think this is one of them, for sure. Seems like Xbox is not giving up on Japan so this seems like the most viable way, at least from my armchair analysis.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely copacetic to more Nintendo/ Microsoft relations. Only good can come of this :D

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I expect:
Steve in Smash
Minecraft Dungeons on Switch
Super Lucky Tale on Switch
Further Xbox Live implementation on Switch

What I want:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so dazzled by the idea of them partnering up on big projects/hand-offs and I can't wait to see what's cooking.

Props to Microsoft for cultivating a new and interesting strategy... watch PlayStation become the only classic style video game console next gen. Lol

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Yeah but what's Microsoft going to get from Nintendo? NSO and all those free NES games?

Everybody keeps asking what microsoft gains when selling their games on switch means they still get money from it just like they do with minecraft. Not to mention xbox live integration with those games. Why put banjo or perfect dark on the switch service when you can sell a collection AND have people log into xbox live to get full features?

What i want most from this though is diddy kong racing considering Rare owns the OC characters but Nintendo owns the DK stuff. Can you imagine DKR and CTR on switch.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's new strategy is trying to be everywhere no matter the piece of electronics you're on so it isn't surprising.
It makes sense, particularly long term, if they are really pushing towards heavy cloud and digital services. Partnering with Nintendo gives them a continued strong retail footprint for their IP and branding.
I don't get the Banjo comments... Microsoft could already make a Banjo Threeie and I don't see how this adds anything to that. Though, Banjo in Smash would be super cool.
They could, but obviously an IP like Banjo would resonate with Nintendo fans in a way it never could as just being released on Xbox.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Changed my mind I want Xbox Live on the Switch including system level live voice and party integration. Also some Microsoft multi-plats on Switch. Microsoft apparently is just trying to diversify and get their software on as many systems as possible as well as getting more Xbox Live subs so if they're going that direction might as well go all out like that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo would have to get a cut of GamePass/xCloud I think for them to allow that on Switch.

That said ... maybe MS is cool with that.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
xCloud on switch. Nintendo gets to have next gen titles on the switch and Microsoft gets a bigger reach.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If giving Nintendo the IP to a franchise that never had nor will have any life is a step too far then I don't exactly expect 'big' things.

Oct 27, 2017
Who currently has the 007 license? Because a Goldeneye remake, with crossplay between Xbox, PC and Switch, would be HUGE

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Maybe Microsoft doesn't really view the Switch as a direct competitor and thinks of it more as a secondary supplement to PlayStation and Xbox. The two companies seem quite chummy as of late. The Xbox Twitter basically has a crush on Nintendo's Twitter at this point. I'm thinking xCloud for Switch, Rare games on the N64 Classic, and a Microsoft representative in Smash, as well as games like We Happy Few and The Outer Worlds getting late Switch ports.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this more than better Minecraft cross play integration, but the next logical step after Civ 6 on Switch is Age of Empires 3 on Switch. The DS ones were amazing but it's time we had an actual real time strategy on a handheld. Give it to me Microsoft.

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
Cool beans. For me, there will be no point to owning a Microsoft system if Nintendo gets multiplats that all three gets, Nintendo exclusives, and it get stuff that would have been Win/XB only in the past.

In the meantime, can we get Virtual Console and a Wii/Wii U emulator for XB1? I'd pay $20 for Super Mario All-Stars right now and would kill to be able to play Bayonetta 2 without buying another $300 system.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The question isn't "why would Microsoft collaborate with Nintendo?" but "why would Microsoft invest heavily in software and make it all exclusive to a console that has a long history of not being the market leader?"

I'm not saying they're going to go third party. They're going to keep making Xboxes, just like they make Surfaces now. But I think they have a bigger long-term ambition than just "spend a lot on software to somewhat increase Xbox sales." They're looking to the future.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Microsoft doesn't really view the Switch as a direct competitor and thinks of it more as a secondary supplement to PlayStation and Xbox. The two companies seem quite chummy as of late. The Xbox Twitter basically has a crush on Nintendo's Twitter at this point. I'm thinking xCloud for Switch, Rare games on the N64 Classic, and a Microsoft representative in Smash, as well as games like We Happy Few and The Outer Worlds getting late Switch ports.

Sony is really MS' competitor, MS really doesn't need to have an antagonistic relationship with Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
The question isn't "why would Microsoft collaborate with Nintendo?" but "why would Microsoft invest heavily in software and make it all exclusive to a console that has a long history of not being the market leader?"
Like I said earlier, who says it'll be Switch exclusive? A big title excluding the PS4, but with crossplay, would be a big for both Nintendo AND Microsoft

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing wrong with this I just hope we don't see a full on achievement system for everygame. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Money from being on more platforms. Also:
Facts and data show that 70% of Switch owners either own a PS4 or XBO. This could be a hail Mary from Xbox. If all games have functionality with Switch, cross play, maybe even crossbuy. It may be lucrative for Switch owners to choose Xbox for the next generation.

Imagine you are a Switch PS4 owner now. Now you decide to use Xcloud on the Switch and play some Rare Replay or Halo or something.... Sony is selling the PS5 and Xbox in XB2. Knowing that ecosystem and doing Game pass, along with being able to play with Switch friends online, may bring more value for the Xbox brand. They seem to be going for a Wii360 kind of bargain with that. And Nintendo and Microsoft working together would be a really smart thing to do anyway.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Honestyl, the results of this alliance will be interesting to watch. Especially here in Mexico, which is known by many as xbox territory.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Guys and gals, big and crazy games like GOW5 and Halo:I are probably a no, but I do see why a scale Banjo 3 and other can't appear.