• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This is big, would make second party exclusives deals to Sony/Nintendo harder to justify I guess.

Good, hopefully this means more reasons for games to be also on Xbox, not removing them on other platforms. I'd like to see more of a even parity situation where 1st party are the key differences.

What? Epic doesn't pass any savings to us, all their exclusive deals like Borderlands 3 and Hitman 3 have been full priced. Metro Exodus was also full price outside the USA so the price didn't change after getting removed from Steam.

Epic has passed savings onto me in the past like Red Dead Redemption 2. Once it came to Steam it was full price and Epic had a sale and I bought it on Epic. There have been other games chepaer on Epic store too, I am constantly comparing prices.

Revenue share thing is obviously good news for developers, but could potentially be bad news for Sony. Seems Microsoft really is committed to outspending them and attempting to strangle them out of the market.
Seems like odd phrasing to me, "strangle them" as Sony continues to lead the charts by quite a margin and use it's brand and dominating position to easily get third party deals. Sounds like Microsoft is simply growing tired of getting scraps and are finally using their financial clout to try and compete better.

Are some people that scared to see Sony in a position where they "only" sell 50-60 million consoles in one generation? Microsoft and Nintendo were there multiple times and also at times well below that figure.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Revenue share thing is obviously good news for developers, but could potentially be bad news for Sony. Seems Microsoft really is committed to outspending them and attempting to strangle them out of the market.

This type of hyperbole from some Playstation fans is what led to the "Doom and gloom" on this forum for a few weeks. Sony and Playstation will be just fine. If Sony or Nintendo is eventually forced into doing the same kind of percentage cut , then that only helps developers.

Microsoft making moves to be competitive is great. The 12% thing is going to be great for developers. MS have made a lot of very good moves over the last few years that will make them relevant for a lot of people. If you want to play all the best games this gen, you need to be in both ecosystems. Any other console war bullshit is just puerile and a waste of time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't know, seems like another "Xbox is getting rid of the Gold requirement" situation. It seems like a tall order to convince the shareholders that they should give up over half of the revenue per copy sold on the console store. PC-side situation makes sense because they seem to be siding with Epic and probably make peanuts there anyway

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This type of hyperbole from some Playstation fans is what led to the "Doom and gloom" on this forum for a few weeks. Sony and Playstation will be just fine. If Sony or Nintendo is eventually forced into doing the same kind of percentage cut , then that only helps developers.

Microsoft making moves to be competitive is great. The 12% thing is going to be great for developers. MS have made a lot of very good moves over the last few years that will make them relevant for a lot of people. If you want to play all the best games this gen, you need to be in both ecosystems. Any other console war bullshit is just puerile and a waste of time.
Exactly. Sony has been doing its best to try and hamper Nintendo and Microsoft for decades by methodically getting deals from third party and it looks like ol' Jimmy is going to put that gas pedal tactic to the floor this generation to try and curb and added threats they forsee.

I doubt we'll ever know if they actually do this. (unless it comes up in court).

I don't recall a console maker ever talking about their Store rates publicly like some do for their PC Stores.

No other console maker is also putting their games on PC same day and date, their business model has changed and with xCloud it's going to rapidly evolve again.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Eh I don't know, seems like another "Xbox is getting rid of the Gold requirement" situation. It seems like a tall order to convince the shareholders that they should give up over half of the revenue per copy sold on the console store. PC-side situation makes sense because they seem to be siding with Epic and probably make peanuts there anyway
Except the Gold thing is "baseless" rumor and this is court paperwork from Xbox that's referencing it, so it has a lot more credibility. Obviously not set in stone until an official announcement.

Just in case you missed it, the doc is referencing getting streaming rights as part of that share. Microsoft wants to avoid an Nvidia situation where people pull out their games from xCloud. Seems like a fair trade for Microsoft. You get more money per sale, we get your game on xCloud and grow game pass.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if Microsoft would be willing to go even lower if the publisher go in the Game Pass.

I know Epic does this where if you use Unreal Engine the cut is lower on the Epic Game Store. Here if the publisher agrees to go on Game Pass, every sell through the Xbox Store would give higher % than usual. I think it could be a good deal.

Epic doesn't go below 12%
- if you use Unreal engine, you don't need to pay the 5% EXTRA when selling on EGS, on all other stores you would pay Store cut + 5%, so on Steam 30% +5% to 20% + 5% (based on revenue) on MS Store, 12% + 5%
- the dev/pub also has to pay whatever percent influencers get from promoting their games with affiliated links (up to 10% I think), EGS only pays the influencers directly when there is a moneyhat in the exclusive timeframe
- EGS also doesn't eat the cost for non-standard payment methods

Nov 8, 2017
Seems like a fair trade for Microsoft. You get more money per sale, we get your game on xCloud and grow game pass.

xCloud is already a win/win/win. The customer gets utility, Microsoft gets a feature differentiator from their competition + access to potentially new customers, and the publisher or owner of the game gets access to that exact same expanded customer base, which could increase their sales, at no extra cost. In fact, Microsoft is paying out of pocket to rent consoles to people who may not have them so they can buy your game! Could you imagine publishers getting salty if tomorrow Xbox announced that they were giving out free consoles to everyone who signed up for gamepass ultimate? Why would they, right? It's the same thing here - except those free gamepass consoles are hosted in a datacenter, so there is a legal distinction here that they can take advantage of that they otherwise couldn't.

The "loss" or "downside" is that, technically, the publisher/owner of the game can maybe sell streaming exclusivity, leveraging that for money. Most of them never will, because most companies won't be willing to pay much for streaming on 99% of all games released. For the prestigious few, maybe they can get some nice cash out of it, like CoD or Battlefield would definitely be able to leverage streaming rights for example. But how much would Sony or Stadia be willing to pay for streaming rights on random indies, or even small/mid tier games? Long term, probably not much.

Microsoft losing 60% of the revenue they would earn off every sold copy of a 3rd party game is a steep price. If that's the only price pubs are willing to go for, then that's a fairly tall order. Microsoft has obviously considered this under some circumstances (hence the document we're seeing), however the precise details of which are maybe known only to those inside Micrsoft itself, and this also might have just been one of many proposals. If they did actually roll this out as a general thing anyone could opt into, then almost everyone would opt in, and it would represent a huge, sudden drop in revenue that Microsoft would 100% definitely not be able to make up by whatever competitive advantages and expanded reach they get from cloud streaming in the short or medium term, and there's a chance it would never compensate, depending on how many people are actually willing to jump into the Xbox ecosystem only through the cloud. If you think about it from Microsoft's perspective, the calculation is simple - if they divided their revenue by 2.5x, then they would need to increase total revenue by 2.5x through other means to make up for that - and that increase would have to happen through the advantages gained by dropping the cut to 12%, not just a 2.5x increase through any means (because they would have had those other unrelated increases even if they didn't drop the cut, if you follow).

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think it will happen once Game Pass reaches a certain threshold where cutting Xbox store revenue does not impact their bottom line. We don't know what that number is, but it's an idea currently being kicked around internally with no firm date other than an ambiguous CY 2021, which may not even be the time in which the revenue split will happen. I imagine by 60 million GP subscribers is when the split will happen in addition to Gold going away because at that point, Game Pass is now Xbox.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They would need to more than double their software sales (including DLC, microtransactions ...) to earn the same. It sounds weird.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. Sony has been doing its best to try and hamper Nintendo and Microsoft for decades by methodically getting deals from third party and it looks like ol' Jimmy is going to put that gas pedal tactic to the floor this generation to try and curb and added threats they forsee.

Yes, only Sony has done this . MS has never done that not even during the 360 days...🥴

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
They would need to more than double their software sales (including DLC, microtransactions ...) to earn the same. It sounds weird.

They would still get "100%" revenue of 1st party content and subscriptions regardless. This would benefit 3rd party content providers and increase attractiveness of the platform ecosystem, and as such this would be important and pretty amazing move, win-win for all.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They would still get "100%" revenue of 1st party content and subscriptions regardless. This would benefit 3rd party content providers and increase attractiveness of the platform ecosystem, and as such this would be important and pretty amazing move, win-win for all.
So, you make less than half the money for people who play Fortnite on Xbox and in return you get Atlus to make a port that sells less than a million.

It doesn't make sense to me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Good, hopefully this means more reasons for games to be also on Xbox, not removing them on other platforms. I'd like to see more of a even parity situation where 1st party are the key differences.

Epic has passed savings onto me in the past like Red Dead Redemption 2. Once it came to Steam it was full price and Epic had a sale and I bought it on Epic. There have been other games chepaer on Epic store too, I am constantly comparing prices.
Epic only has lower prices when they offer the 10$ coupons. Which is not really passing savings as they are selling the game at a loss.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
User Warned: Meta Commentary Drive-By
People told me Xbox doesn't do timed exclusives though 🤔🤔

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
That's funny since in an interview from earlier this week, there were "no plans at this time" for a PS4/5 version of the game.

I am so sick of hearing that answer from companies when it comes to timed exclusive deals, is there really any harm in going "yes this is an ___ exclusive but we do have plans to release it on ___ in the future." It makes the platform that has the timed exclusivity look very scummy making you think it's never coming to other platforms, plus it makes the developers look bad when they have to lie and say stuff like this.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
That's funny since in an interview from earlier this week, there were "no plans at this time" for a PS4/5 version of the game.

I am so sick of hearing that answer from companies when it comes to timed exclusive deals, is there really any harm in going "yes this is an ___ exclusive but we do have plans to release it on ___ in the future." It makes the platform that has the timed exclusivity look very scummy making you think it's never coming to other platforms, plus it makes the developers look bad when they have to lie and say stuff like this.

Probably they can't talk about any other platform due to the temporal exclusive contract.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to playing the Gunk ever since they showed that game. Didn't know it was exclusive forever thou. Hopefully it's a great game and it comes to gamepass.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, hard to believe.

The 3-month window on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 raises some alarm bells. Even if they recently said "no plans" which would mean they still cannot divulge anything, it's the shortest exclusivity window yet on a bigger title.

And after Cuphead's "lifetime exclusive" agreement, I would have to laugh if anyone argues that The Gunk being a "perpetual exclusive" means anything. These are just marketing buzzwords designed to seed doubt and promise, and they work.

mikhailt

Aug 30, 2019
So, you make less than half the money for people who play Fortnite on Xbox and in return you get Atlus to make a port that sells less than a million.

It doesn't make sense to me.

This is about the long term ecosystem growth. If MS has 100+ millions of paying users via PC, Xbox, and xCloud (extending to various platforms such as iOS, Android, web/PC/Mac), it becomes almost impossible to not port to the MS platform.

Sony/Nintendo would then have to pay more for exclusives to offset any potential loss of not going all platforms first. MS benefits from having more games port to it and they'd get a small cut of every sale, successful or not.

I've heard more about GamePass + Xbox from my "social" network than PS5 this time around because of the value of Gamepass alone.

In fact, I've played more games on GP than I ever had and I bought the actual games that I ended up liking a lot but wouldn't otherwise buy/play at full price.

Dropping to 12% and asking for Xcloud rights is a win, win and win for MS. It doubles the pressure on Sony/Nintendo to offer more and MS gets more of anything that can go their way. More games, less exclusives, and GamePass gains in value.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this goes ahead, I would fully expect Sony will try to sue Microsoft for predatory pricing, since I don't think they're in a position to get close (especially considering 12% would render gift cards unprofitable), whereas Microsoft has lots of avenues to cross-subsidise Xbox.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this goes ahead, I would fully expect Sony will try to sue Microsoft for predatory pricing, since I don't think they're in a position to get close (especially considering 12% would render gift cards unprofitable), whereas Microsoft has lots of avenues to cross-subsidise Xbox.
That lawsuit would get nowhere.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, only Sony has done this . MS has never done that not even during the 360 days...🥴

Of course they have but again Sony's brand has consistently pulled them through and that brand awareness started well before Xbox came out. Even with a $600 console and inferior third party versions it still sold as well as the 360.

When you have decades of third party franchises known to be PlayStation staples like Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid and so on consumers adopt the philosophy that the system is the one to get for the majority of the games. Sony knows this and continues to use this tactic to this day and is by far the most eager to keep pursuing this method because they know it works. That's why it's funny to hear all of the sudden as Microsoft uses its warchest now people fear Sony is going to suffer.

Suffer in which way, "only" selling 80 million systems in a generation?

Epic only has lower prices when they offer the 10$ coupons. Which is not really passing savings as they are selling the game at a loss.

They are passing it onto me, the consumer, which was my argument.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is about the long term ecosystem growth. If MS has 100+ millions of paying users via PC, Xbox, and xCloud (extending to various platforms such as iOS, Android, web/PC/Mac), it becomes almost impossible to not port to the MS platform.

Sony/Nintendo would then have to pay more for exclusives to offset any potential loss of not going all platforms first. MS benefits from having more games port to it and they'd get a small cut of every sale, successful or not.

I've heard more about GamePass + Xbox from my "social" network than PS5 this time around because of the value of Gamepass alone.

In fact, I've played more games on GP than I ever had and I bought the actual games that I ended up liking a lot but wouldn't otherwise buy at full price.

Dropping to 12% and asking for Xcloud rights is a win, win and win for MS. It doubles the pressure on Sony/Nintendo to offer more and MS gets more of anything that can go their way. More games, less exclusives, and GamePass gains in value.
It is an "obvious" win if we forget that they make less than half the money from all microtransactions of games like Fortnite, Call of Duty ...

You need spectacular growth to make up for that. We are talking about that if Xbox sold twice they would still lose money doing this.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Metro Exodus also did it. It was clearly a PR move done as shown by how it happened after Tim sweeney said things like that could happen (and never happenef afterwards).
I would think regulations are in place to prevent stuff like this. There was a PlayStation leak not long back that said REVIII could not be sold for less on a competing console. Is it possible for a developer to sell a game on a competing store for less with the exception of regional pricing. Does steam have a public developer guideline?

mikhailt

Aug 30, 2019

Good luck to them, predatory pricing is incredibly difficult to prove.

They have to essentially prove that MS is not doing this as part of competition (the EGS situation can be used by MS to prove this). Otherwise, they then have to say that all companies must stick at 30% cut, which itself is collusion and illegal as well.

They also have to prove that MS is doing this to cut down the competition but MS is exchanging value as well , 12% instead of 30 for the rights to keeping the game on xCloud. Given that Sony/Nintendo doesn't have anything of sort, that can serve as a mitigation factor.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They are passing it onto me, the consumer, which was my argument.
Thats not how it works. They are not passing any savings of the cut to you (as that would be the publishers putting lower prices). Epic in this case is paying top money to try and get you to buy games in their store, nothing to do with the store cut (hell, they could more easily do with a bigger store cut, as that would decrease the game price whhere they are a net loss of money).

I would think regulations are in place to prevent stuff like this. There was a PlayStation leak not long back that said REVIII could not be sold for less on a competing console. Is it possible for a developer to sell a game on a competing store for less with the exception of regional pricing. Does steam have a public developer guideline?
That would be illegal and price fixing. In that case it is probably more related to marketing deals. In reality games are just "same price" everywhere because if the customer is conditioned to pay a high price, why decrease the price on another place and possibly harm possibly higher earnigs?
Irc, Steam does have guideline on Steam keys (where they say you should offer a similar deal to Steam users in a reasonable amount of time), but not on non-steam keys.