• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuudgggeee MS on it. If they continue their purchase streaks for a few years, we wont have many 3rd parties left 😂

That's one way to make me get an Xbox.

this is why MS is targeting smaller or struggling studios

PCF is a large indie that kind of works in the shadows. I do wonder if at some point MS will establish a bunch of support studios to aid in the creative side of game creation.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Drive-by trolling; history of similar infractions
PCF seems like that type of meh dev they've been going after.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Don't they like to have multiple teams in a region? I would think PCF and bloober would be the most obvious but techland would be huge.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CDP is not for sale, its management wants to stay in charge of their own destiny.

But Techland? I would be less sure there.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Reikon Games hasn't been mentioned yet.

Independent Polish studio, comprised of people who worked on Witcher 3 and Dying Light, that went on to make Ruiner.

Would be a great under the radar get.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Just putting this out here; I think it's little bit weird how excited people here get for Sony / MS / Nintendo / Insert_Big_Boy_Name swoop in and buy out viable independent studios and in process limiting audiences for games said teams make.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR has a market cap of like 6-7 billion usd. As good as their games are, MS is not gonna buy a company like that at that valuation. Besides I very much doubt CDPR would agree to be bought by them

Dec 10, 2019
CD Project Red is sadly not happening. Otherwise they would've bought them a year ago or even earlier and made Cyberpunk a Series X release game.

So the game would still come out on Ps4 (to honor publishing agreements and no bad look of buying games off other platforms), but it would be exclusive for Series X on next generation consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Just putting this out here; I think it's little bit weird how excited people here get for Sony / MS / Nintendo / Insert_Big_Boy_Name swoop in and buy out viable independent studios and in process limiting audiences for games said teams make.

I understand where you're coming from, but with gamepass it changes things. I'll be getting games from these purchased studios day 1.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm down for PCF, maybe they can help with the Gears series and let The Coalition create that new IP they teased all those years ago

OP
OP
danrbg

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
With this logic, Google could conceivably do the same as you're advocating here. I really don't understand this rah rah cheering for corporate ownership.
I am not encouraging Microsoft to buy them. My preference is Techland but I can see why Cd Projekt makes more sense not only for Cd Projekt Red.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I am not encouraging Microsoft to buy them. My preference is Techland but I can see why Cd Projekt makes more sense not only for Cd Projekt Red.

Why is your preference anything?

You have not given any reason why it would make sense for CDPR to sell besides essentially "capitalism." They have valued their independence from the very beginning.

Microsoft has a good relationship with them. I said this because people think that Cd Projekt is independent and it is not.

The moment we start becoming conservative [and] stop taking creative risks and business risks, and stop being true to what we're doing, that's when we should worry. And I am not worried. Our values and our care for what we are doing and – hopefully what gamers would agree with – care for gamers is what drives this company forward. It's my personal horror to become a faceless behemoth of game development or publishing or whatnot. As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen.

— CD Projekt Red founder Marcin Iwiński, on maintaining independence

According to Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt Red, maintaining its independence is a company priority. They avoided becoming a subsidiary of another company for financial and creative freedom and ownership of their projects. Electronic Arts was rumoured to be attempting to acquire CD Projekt. This was quickly denied by Iwiński, who said that maintaining the company's independence is something he "will be fighting for".

This is just a simple search on Wikipedia. They value their independence highly.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I preface this by saying I don't think it will, nor would I necessarily want it to happen. But MS can buy anything they want if they deem it a worthwhile investment. Disney is a much smaller company than MS and they bought Fox for 71 billion. Everyone is for sale for the right amount.

MS paid 26.2 billion for Linked in.
MS paid 7.5 billion for Git Hub.

While not directly comparble, and we are talking about the xbox division on its own, it just provides evidence that the company as a whole will pay what they have to if they see the value in the acquisition. The question with CDPR is do they see it as strictly a game developer or do they also see an opportunity with their established digital storefront. I have no idea, I just dont subscribe to the "there is no way it will happen" crowd.

Now just to repeat, so no one gets too heated, I do not think its going to happen. They have shown they are searching for smaller talented but underfunded devs and that would be what I expect to see continue.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have not given any reason why it would make sense for CDPR to sell besides essentially "capitalism." They have valued their independence from the very beginning.

This is just a simple search on Wikipedia. They value their independence highly.
So did Insomniac. Nobody says no to a fuck ton of cash.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I could see Techland or People can fly but if I kinda want to see it the reality where its CD Projekt so i can see the hilarious disaster that would be this site and twitter.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Can Microsoft buy CDPR? Sure, easily. They have 100 billion in cash just sitting in bank.
Will they? I'm betting no, but I'm not betting my life on it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I think it's only time when people on ERA gets excited about mega corporations absorbing small businesses is when it one of the big console companies grabbing studios for exclusives.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The polish development community seems to be on a roll atm, so I would not be surprised if MS is indeed looking to purchase a studio or two in the country.

Looking at the studios I would guess it could be PCF considering they have worked with the studio in the past and they are reasonable size.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Bloober public also? That's how we found out about Blair Witch beforehand

I'm going to guess 11 bit studios

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised CDPR are worth that much. Wasn't GOG barely making money. Witcher is successful but still, 6 billion?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think it's only time when people on ERA gets excited about mega corporations absorbing small businesses is when it one of the big console companies grabbing studios for exclusives.

It's lame as shit. I hesitate to tell people what to get excited about and what not to, but I know personally, if publishers want to grow studios internally, I'm way more into that. Just buying out exclusively is lame even in cases like Insomniac where they had an existing relationship with Sony. Insomniac was putting out cool smaller shit as well :/.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not to put too fine a point on it, but that would straight up be a horrible use of $7+ billion for MS. Even if they wanted to invest that money in games, it could have a ton more impact in many other ways.
CD Project Red is sadly not happening. Otherwise they would've bought them a year ago or even earlier and made Cyberpunk a Series X release game.

So the game would still come out on Ps4 (to honor publishing agreements and no bad look of buying games off other platforms), but it would be exclusive for Series X on next generation consoles.
We really should not be hoping for strong, independent small businesses to be subsumed by corporate giants.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Surprised CDPR are worth that much. Wasn't GOG barely making money. Witcher is successful but still, 6 billion?

I think they've been doing well, at least stock wise. I know that's their parent company or whatever.

p.png

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft is very much about creating regional hubs and fostering a community with its developers, so I wouldn't say that multiple studios in Eastern Europe is out of the question

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm betting on Bloober. Makes sense given the window of exclusivity given to Blair Witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.