• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not suggesting this will definitely happen, but given Microsoft's new Xbox focus I wouldn't be surprised to seem them publish their Microsoft Studios games on Switch and PS4 in the future. The studio investment isn't just for Xbox.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You realize Microsoft is the largest cloud company in the world, right? Unless your reservations are about the cloud in general.
good for them......but if the service is not good or shit especially when it comes to games, with controls, graphics etc. Then it may be a pass until it improves

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Oh don't misunderstand me. I think the Game Pass service is great. I never owned a Microsoft console but the way they have handled backwards compatibility along with the Game Pass service had me feeling at one point that no matter what Sony does with the PS5 I would give Microsoft a legit chance to sell me on their next gen console.

What I meant by feeling like it was less of a value compared to it being on PC or XBOX is that the Switch version of the app would "mostly" or "purely" be streaming instead of being able to download the games and play them offline like with XBOX or PC. I still see the value of Game Pass on Switch as someone who mainly games on the Switch.
For sure. Should have clarified only mean the top part to reply. Bottom half was directed at some of the doom and gloom folks.

I think you get the most value out of this as someone who owns an Xbox or PC. That said, I expect them to really try to deliver a product that stream only people will enjoy especially if the rumors of a Xbox stream stick/box are true.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has surely been covered, but, is Game Pass on Switch expected to include the third party games available on the service?

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Not looking forward to streaming games TBH.

Hopefully there will be a download option available for games that an run natively on the Switch. Gonna need a bigger SD card though.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
let's imagine that this will be true.
I think that:

xCloud: streaming service for various games, playable on Switch through the App. Probably here few of us (those with the largest bandwith to stream properly) could benefit to play "unprecedent" games on the "limited" hw of the Switch

GamePass: here it's more shadowy. Probably, the service will be a premium service applied to a more expensive NSO subscrioption, right? But: will these game need to be downloaded? The storage limits of the Switch could affect this kind of service, alongside the hardware limitations of the Switch itself. Am I right?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So:
  • Will you need to pay for xbox live to play these games online?
    • If not - Xbox players are getting a worse value
    • If so - that's a lot of money spent on subscriptions that won't benefit Nintendo
  • Will you need to pay for Nintendo Online?
    • If not - Nintendo doesn't gain much from this and players can play online using xbox live on nintendo devaluing Nintendo Online
    • If so - increases the value of Nintendo Online, but makes Gamespass prohibitively expensive
  • Will this bring all Xbox games to switch, only gamespass games, or only first party games?
    • If all Xbox games - giant catalog of games to bring to Switch, but potentially take away time and money that could be spent on native games
    • If it's just gamespass games - similar issue, but makes a bit more sense. Don't imagine there's a huge overlap between nintendo first party and gamespass games
    • If it's just first party games on gamespass - Net benefit for nintendo with console exclusives coming over not conflicting with 3rd parties, but devalues the service considerably. Mixed with xbox live/Nintendo Online potentail requirements, it could be less than optimal
I'm interested in seeing how they make it work without being a bad deal for either.
I would hope that they start offering a bundled price for XBL and GP, for both Switch and XBO, because otherwise yeah, that's a lot of money to stream games on Switch if you need XBL, GP, and SWO.

I think it would be mostly the full gamepass library. I'm sure some devs will have problems with it and ask to be excluded, and some have native Switch ports so they would also want excluded. But it makes a lot of sense for most devs to be included, they can get more money from the deal and increased DLC sales. But I could also see it being only first/second party with a lower tier subscription price.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Sorry, what I meant was more if the Game Pass service on Switch would be limited to only Microsoft games or would include all of the games available on the service on Xbox.

Gotcha, thank you.
I would assume so, part of the gamepass appeal is that there are so many games on it, and streaming third party games is something nintendo already tested before with re:7.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let's imagine that this will be true.
I think that:

xCloud: streaming service for various games, playable on Switch through the App. Probably here few of us (those with the largest bandwith to stream properly) could benefit to play "unprecedent" games on the "limited" hw of the Switch

GamePass: here it's more shadowy. Probably, the service will be a premium service applied to a more expensive NSO subscrioption, right? But: will these game need to be downloaded? The storage limits of the Switch could affect this kind of service, alongside the hardware limitations of the Switch itself. Am I right?

My thoughts are that it'll just be Game Pass basically. You download an "Xbox" app on your Switch (only available for NSO users) that is then a portal to your messages, friends list, and the ability to stream the Game Pass library.

XCloud is a back-end service and I'd honestly be surprised if it ever allows us to stream every Xbox game. Seems more likely to me that it'll be heavily focused on streaming the Game Pass library.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I think I've already said something along these lines, but I'm in love with the idea of Nintendo, Microsoft and Nvidia triple-tag-teaming to create a VR platform that combines the remains of Windows' Mixed Reality line of products, Nvidia's mobile tech and the Switch into an Oculus Quest-like device.

Play Switch and xCloud games in theater mode in VR. Nintendo could devote a segment of their software resources to creating VR games. Minecraft VR could be a thing on it. Microsoft could try to squeeze Mixer into it. The device could also function essentially as a docked Switch when hooked to a dock or something which would be a huge value-add, imo.

I really reaaaaalllllly want it, pls.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
My thoughts are that it'll just be Game Pass basically. You download an "Xbox" app on your Switch (only available for NSO users) that is then a portal to your messages, friends list, and the ability to stream the Game Pass library.

XCloud is a back-end service and I'd honestly be surprised if it ever allows us to stream every Xbox game. Seems more likely to me that it'll be heavily focused on streaming the Game Pass library.
Yeah that's how I'm reading this too. Game Pass, but you stream the games as opposed to download them.

If this is real, I'd be all for it. MCC on my Switch would be fantastic. Especially since I never played Halo 1,2, or 4. Only 3, ODST, and Reach.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I don't know... I'll really be surprised if/when this is announced. And, it will never happen, but would love to know the details of the deal/what Nintendo is getting out of this. On the surface, it seems to have the potential to hurt them more than help them from a financial perspective...

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
This is very interesting.

If I can avoid buying an Xbox and play those same games on a switch which is cheaper in price, then I'd buy one in an instant.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know... I'll really be surprised if/when this is announced. And, it will never happen, but would love to know the details of the deal/what Nintendo is getting out of this. On the surface, it seems to have the potential to hurt them more than help them from a financial perspective...
Hypothetically, let's say Nintendo gets a 20% of Game Pass revenue just from users who subscribe on Switch. How does that hurt them more than help them, financially?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
one more question.
is it official that MS is bringing Xbox Live to Switch, with a GDC panel set to showcase this next step?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft definitely I feel stands more to gain in this tradeoff.

1. Introduces your games to a new player base and potentially makes them more interested in buying your home console
*2. Introduces your subscriptions services (Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold) to a new customer base
3. Now has a dedicated handheld platform to stream games from without any RND investment

Nintendo's side would have to be a very lucrative and agressive cut of each one of the subscriptions for me to feel like it would be worthwhile.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass and xcloud are two different signatures?

For example, for a person to play a game from the gamepass catalog on a phone (or Switch or anything other than the traditional xbox) does the person also have to pay a monthly fee for this xcloud service?

Gamepass for $6.99 per month allows you to play a range of titles by downloading to your Xbox
xCloud for $4.99 allows you to stream any game you own to your xbox or Nintendo Switch (additional gamepass sub required for access to game pass content)
XBL Gold subscription for $5.99 per month required to play any MS game online.
Nintendo online account for $3.99 per month required to play MS games online, on a Switch

Bargain

(yes Gamepass does still require you to have an XBL sub to play online). I would expect additional cost to stream as you're using up compute resources in the cloud plus bandwidth. Whether they pass that on I don't know.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass for $6.99 per month allows you to play a range of titles by downloading to your Xbox
xCloud for $4.99 allows you to stream any game you own to your xbox or Nintendo Switch (additional gamepass sub required for access to game pass content)
XBL Gold subscription for $5.99 per month required to play any MS game online.
Nintendo online account for $3.99 per month required to play MS games online, on a Switch

Bargain

(yes Gamepass does still require you to have an XBL sub to play online). I would expect additional cost to stream as you're using up compute resources in the cloud plus bandwidth. Whether they pass that on I don't know.
Segregating services into individual costs is needlessly complicated for the user and they can make more money based off providing only 1 higher priced tier of service.

If anything Microsoft should consolidate all services into one. $15 dollars a month and you get all access to anything Xbox related.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Hypothetically, let's say Nintendo gets a 20% of Game Pass revenue just from users who subscribe on Switch. How does that hurt them more than help them, financially?

Well, that's what I'm getting at by saying I'd love to know the details. With the way Nintendo software is selling on Switch, it's not crazy to say they are making more money by selling $60 games then they would by taking a percentage of a $10 a month subscription. Additionally, you are opening your platform up to a competitor to come in and potentially eat into your game sales/profits.

I would imagine this partnership, if real, goes deeper and Nintendo could possibly be looking to offload all online services (online play, friends, chat, etc...) to Xbox Live. There HAS to be more to it than "revenue share of GamePass" for Nintendo to be willing to open up their platform to a competitor.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

No clear answers on how this affect current NSO subscriptions. If you want play online battles on Switch titles, a NSO is required like normal.
My thinking is that Game Pass just an app (like Hulu currently)and it's a separate service. If you want to play Game Pass games on the Switch, load the app, login your Game Pass account, download, and play.

Now let's say you want to play multiplayer battles (Halo) on Game Pass Switch, no idea how that is going to work. Need both NSO and GP accounts?

Yes, I believe how Game Pass works is you download the game into the hard drive - Require players to purchase micro SD cards.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is very interesting.

If I can avoid buying an Xbox and play those same games on a switch which is cheaper in price, then I'd buy one in an instant.

If you want to stream the game in 720p/30 while on an Xbox Scarlett you're playing 4k/60... I wouldn't use it as my main way to play these games to be honest. Just a nice additional way to play.

But if you only had a Switch and you don't mind about the graphics, sure.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to stream the game in 720p/30 while on an Xbox Scarlett you're playing 4k/60... I wouldn't use it as my main way to play these games to be honest. Just a nice additional way to play.

But if you only had a Switch and you don't mind about the graphics, sure.

But can you play your Scarlett Anaconda on the toilet

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
If rumors are true the next version of switch will be handhold only and they are kind of pulling out of the console market which imo they should, gamepass on switch would really benefit Nintendo by giving them more content which would sell more switches and it makes the switch a companion device to the xbox.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because if players are busy playing Xbox Game Pass games, maybe they would be less likely to invest in the Nintendo ecosystem and purchase retail 60$ products from Nintendo since they are already busy/entertained by a competitors product. There is not an infinite amount of time in the day.

Opportunity cost.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft definitely I feel stands more to gain in this tradeoff.

1. Introduces your games to a new player base and potentially makes them more interested in buying your home console
*2. Introduces your subscriptions services (Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold) to a new customer base
3. Now has a dedicated handheld platform to stream games from without any RND investment

Nintendo's side would have to be a very lucrative and agressive cut of each one of the subscriptions for me to feel like it would be worthwhile.

i tend to agree with this post. when we get a switch version with a better wi fi chip plus streaming latency gets better, when you have the decision of buying a ten or 20 or 30 dollar indie game vs subscribing to game pass for a while...it ll be kinda of a non brainer.

This is a slam dunk for microsoft, for nintendo i guess it sells them more online passes, some fees on gamepass...maybe it will be really worthy if microsoft starts releasing native ports of past gens exclusives.

Maybe thats it, if they do it on pc already, might as well throw a bone once in a while so they can sell their service on switch

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
How does Nintendo lose when they're k just collecting revenue? I'm not sure this makes a Nintendo fan do anything different than before.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one more question.
is it official that MS is bringing Xbox Live to Switch, with a GDC panel set to showcase this next step?

Yes and no. Microsoft has a developer kit that allows Xbox Live integration on a game by game basis. This kit has Switch as one of the supported platforms, and the GDC panel is confirmed. This is not Xbox Live built into the Switch OS. It sounds like what they already do in Minecraft, but maybe taken to another level. You'd log into the game with your Xbox profile and be able to earn achievements and invite friends to that game across platforms.