• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
That would be insane if true.

I guess Nintendo figures that such a feature would be super beneficial to hardware sales of the Switch.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Man if this is true. The next smash game is gonna have some real interesting MS characters 😀

Plum

May 31, 2018
E3 might be weirder and crazier then we think.
squidward.w1200.h630.jpg

Spongebob and Patrick = Microsoft and Nintendo at E3
Squidward = Sony not at E3

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
It would be one less of a reason to buy any Microsoft console, but I believe it is planned on their part.

But am I curious to see how much Nintendo would gain from this? 20 ~ 30 from the Games Pass earnings on the Switch? Because they would not give a user base that's growing for free like that.

Chances are Nintendo gets a small cut from Gamepass and Microsoft gets a cut from Nintendo Switch Online since it will be needed.

And this news doesn't undercut owning an Xbox at all. There will be an audience for those who only wants to play Xbox games at a good price or in 4K. But now we have Nintendo fans who can play Xbox games on their Switch

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason why Nintendo would ever allow this. Seems like they would be more likely to set up their own service instead of allowing competitors on their platform.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
so what you guys are saying is that we will get a Microsoft Direct sometime this year

Plum

May 31, 2018
I see no reason why Nintendo would ever allow this. Seems like they would be more likely to set up their own service instead of allowing competitors on their platform.

It's pretty significant added value for the Switch, value that could potentially bring in an audience that Nintendo themselves is finding difficult to capture. Their competition with Microsoft is not so fierce that something like this would see an automatic denial from the company.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
Sounds good, have been playing xbox one X games in portable form this last 3 months and its nuts. Serious question, how will they manage the button UI?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This is crazy talk. Letting 3rd parties put whatever they want on your console without you getting a cut undermines the whole reason a console exists.
You are essentially killing your 3rd party income and get nothing?
Why isn't the App Store on the Switch?
Why can neither console run Windows/Linux?

Mainly two things. First,while some spending in game time will be given up to game pass, there Will be few people who completely neglect Nintendo's products in favor of game pass on switch. You may as well play game pass on a tablet with a controller paired.

And second, Nintendo makes better new games than you're going to get on game pass anyhow. Super popular, evergreen games, that always go for $60. Zelda, smash, Mario kart. $180 just like that. for the most part, Nintendo will still sell games and third parties will still be able to sell games on switch.

Plus this makes not only the switch itself more attractive, but makes their dinky online Nintendo service more attractive. So again, I'm saying some business maybe lost here and there but it will be made up for by growing the pie.

I'm not saying it's going to be all roses. You know. Truth is stranger than fiction and all kinds of weird shit could happen. But on paper, this looks like a win-win and pretty good deal for Nintendo.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the short term advantages for Nintendo to do this, but they run a risk of people finding the game pass too good and deciding to switch to the Xbox console over using Switch or future Nintendo ones.

Nintendo will always have their first party input, which has shown an incredible ability to sell hardware and will still do so in the future.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
It makes a lot of sense.

MS won't need a lot of image quality for their games to stream reasonably on the Switch. The problem will be input lag, that remains to be seen.

Nintendo, on the other hand, can have the third-party support from big companies, that the Switch unfortunately lacks, through this service.

Yeah, it's a win-win situation for both parties in my view.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing though...

You got games like Gears, Halo etc, those games right now are too demanding for Switch. No way are MS devs gonna scale the games down for Switch. So how will this work? Is that where the streaming comes in?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close. He's actually been pretty reliable. Not 100% of course but no one is.
Yeah Nate has been around a long time, and has supplied plenty of good information over the years.

One thing though...

You got games like Gears, Halo etc, those games right now are too demanding for Switch. No way are MS devs gonna scale the games down for Switch. So how will this work? Is that where the streaming comes in?
It's a streaming service, local hardware is largely irrelevant.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because the whole Xbox One library works with xCloud does not mean Gamepass on Switch gets all Xbox games. It will be a curated library just like it is today. Just streamed and not downloaded. People need to chill.