• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
If I could link my Xbox account with a Switch and earn achievements/progress on the go, I'd buy one without hesitation.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
One thing that gives me doubt about this rumour is the idea of Game Pass being a thing without the full xCloud platform (eg including the Xbox Store).

Many of the publishers allow their games on Game Pass with the knowledge that players can buy said game (at a discount) to keep it permanently. Certainly for multiplayer games that will be on the service for a limited time (eg a year), this is a big deal. They won't have access to that revenue on Switch, especially if there's no Switch port. So they might not be as inclined to have their games on Game Pass, or will charge a higher licensing fee for the privilege.

NateDrake would be good to get your thoughts on this angle. Could it make it more difficult for Microsoft to get games on the service without the additional potential revenue of people buying the games they love on there to keep them permanently? Or is it the entire xCloud platform coming to Switch and not just Game Pass?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Colour me surprised if this happens. This sounds way bigger than what I had imagined from the initial rumour/speculation.

We already know that Super Lucky's Tale is on the way, so Microsoft is clearly interested in bringing games that perhaps weren't the best fit for the Xbox audience to Switch.
We don't know if Super Lucky's Tale is being published by MS on Switch. Sony didn't publish NMS on Xbox and MS didn't publish Dead Rising 4 on PS4, to name a few other similar examples.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome home Banjo.

GTFO!
Nintendo fans will finally be able to play the greatness that is N&B.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Because they're not making money off people not buying games through their platform?

Like the only way this makes sense is if they're taking a huge chunk of Gamepass subs.

I don't think so. this drastically increases the library of playable games on the switch. Including many there are actually good. That's so important for selling systems. Is the most important. Nintendo knows what it's doing when it comes to making money off hardware and accessories, plus they're going to get subs for their own online thing which is basically free money.

I can see why Nintendo would love this especially considering that they don't really have the ability to compete with it directly

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What a dumb rumor.

And even if it is true, streaming games problems won't be magically fixed.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the video NateDrake it sounds like Gamepass will be on Switch without needing to stream or you have the xCloud as an alternative to stream games?

I just want clarification

May 18, 2018
Uhh those are not MS or Gamepass games.

No one is thinking about this. I mentioned earlier that Gamepass on the PC has like 16 games but everyone is thinking they'll be able to play any game that's been on any Xbox system ever. PC gamepass isn't that great but we're supposed to believe the Switch will have everything? I hope I'm wrong but, people are going to be disappointed, I think.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Told you, you'll have better luck next time. Be less salty now and stay on-topic.

Colour me surprised if this happens. This sounds way bigger than what I had imagined from the initial rumour/speculation.

We don't know if Super Lucky's Tale is being published by MS on Switch. Sony didn't publish NMS on Xbox and MS didn't publish Dead Rising 4, to name a few other similar examples.

MS didn't publish DR4 ? weird that it's still exclusive for a year on XBO then

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I still can't see Nintendo allowing GamePass to run games outside of the Microsoft published ones in the vein of 'Forza' or 'Halo'.

I'm thinking in 'Bayonetta', when it was added to GamePass.

It makes zero sense that Nintendo is trying to sell 'Bayonetta' in the eShop, but at the same time, they will let an option to play the game in an external service. And an option in which Nintendo will not see money.

So if it comes, it should come with the limitation of only allowing games not available on the eShop.

If not, Nintendo will be making a terrible mistake. And indeed, is throwing to a lot of indie developers under the bus.

Because it will create a gate to devalue the price and perception of games, from which small publishers/developers will be specially affected.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
never heard of this outlet but this news wouldn't be surprising. its been hinted at.

are we sure this person has separate sources or are they just connecting all of the dots like everyone else?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Theoretically in this scenario, Xbox is moving away from their specific hardware being required to play their games in some form. You'd be able to play on PC, Xbox, or Switch. The reason someone might still want to buy an Xbox is due to specs. Something like Halo Infinite isn't gonna be on the Switch Natively, it would be through Xcloud. So if you want the "best" experience you'd want to buy either the xbox or invest in a PC with windows to get the best experience. MS awhile back was talking about options for next-gen and this sort of push to them is all about getting you into the ecosystem one way or another.
I was thinking about selling my one after this news but then I remembered bc.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm filing this firmly under "too good to be true" for the moment. Would love to hear more though.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
This is a potentially massive move. This allows MS to get into the Japanese market and get JP content. I think the very bold vision that Microsoft has with Xbox, I see Microsoft winning next Gen overall, Sony will likely win in Console sales but Microsoft will likely have the most users on their platform.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
This could end up happening or not, but I can only see benefits for both companies if they go ahead so 🤔

Got to say that I find their strategies so different yet so synergistic, that I find plausible any joint initiative between Microsoft and Nintendo.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No one is thinking about this. I mentioned earlier that Gamepass on the PC has like 16 games but everyone is thinking they'll be able to play any game that's been on any Xbox system ever. PC gamepass isn't that great but we're supposed to believe the Switch will have everything? I hope I'm wrong but, people are going to be disappointed, I think.
Well there is a difference. Switch is mostly gonna use xcloud.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Is the streaming tech ready to go? Otherwise, I wonder what native games could be played on Switch. Original Xbox games certainly. I wonder if X360 titles would have to be ported instead of being emulated.

Regardless, this initiative seems like the kind of thing that would be built around their streaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I might not entirely understand this. Why buy an Xbox now if everything is gonna come to switch? I get the benefits too but how does this not make the Xbox tremendously less valuable?

Will they only allow very few games to be played on switch? What's the catch
Not every game is going to come to the switch. Only the exclusives. Stuff like COd etc still would be ps5/Xbox 2. Of you as a customer are willing to pay MS $10+ a month for gamepass, eventually your going to end giving them more money than they would've made off of selling you a box. And that's not counting MTX in their games

MS isn't making big money off of the actual hardware. They are making it from digital transactions and subs. There will still be people that buy Xbox hardware. But now for example MS has an in to a 10+ mill audience in japan that own switches who would never buy an Xbox.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Is the streaming tech ready to go? Otherwise, I wonder what native games could be played on Switch. Original Xbox games certainly. I wonder if X360 titles would have to be ported instead of being emulated.

Regardless, this initiative seems like the kind of thing that would be built around their streaming.
xCloud is supposedly coming this year with more info to be revealed at GDC in March.

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't want games that could easily be ported to be streamed-only. Put in games like Halo Infinite, Gears 5, or whatever, fine, but something like say, Rare's 360 games, and my idea of a Halo 1 + 2 2-pack based on the OG Xbox Old Graphics versions, can easily be native ports.

Are there any hints of more native ports besides Ori here and Super Lucky's Tale from leaks?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Next gen is gonna be very, very interesting. So many things up in the air.

Yep. It seems that both Microsoft and Sony are patching the holes in their armour in preparation for the next generation. Right now there's really no way to tell how it'll go and, frankly, I'm really pleased with that. Proper competition in the industry is a great thing.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This better go both ways, I want to play Breath of the Wild in 4K/HDR on my Xbox One X.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I should clarify! I used to work there 12 years ago. I have no plans to every leave GX, despite just moving to Seattle :)

Oh, no way! I think I actually saw you around Seattle then! I was the passenger in a car and saw someone who looked exactly like you walk by. I swore it had to either be you or your doppelganger.

Welcome to the city!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Ori is coming to Switch if this is true.
Games pass and streaming service as well.

Don't know how it'll work or why Nintendo would ok it, but I guess we'll see (maybe at e3?)

Because that way people who wanna play demanding games that the Switch wouldn't otherwise be able to handle on the switch now can, given a good internet connection. That's like the one thing people complain about with the system.

And Microsoft will probably sell a few more subscriptions there. Also if it's coming to the Switch, which is a hot item in Japan these days, that means they will probably gain a little more brand recognition over there too.

Not sure if I would use it myself, especially given my slow internet connection, but it's a win win situation really, if true.