• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I also think it is Nintendo realizing they don't have the capital or expertise to go Cloud and build out infrastructure and it is better to team up with MS going forward and make it financially viable for both companies. Pretty savvy from all ends.
It's also a way to get higher profile games on Switch without developers having to do the legwork, even if streaming only.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
tenor.gif

In many ways this growing partnership makes a lot of sense.

Nintendo gains services and potential infrastructure in areas they're lacking in, can entice buyers with a service that includes its own library of games, more than likely gets a cut for everyone that uses it, and potentially gains access to IP that don't hit the areas they hit (including but not limited to Rare's library and Halo).

Microsoft, meanwhile, more directly profits from being on the Switch, works towards its larger goal of expanding the outreach of its services, and has a much easier foothold in appealing to Japan, which the Xbox has notoriously failed in.

If it all pans out well the resulting partnership could pose a huge challenge to both the current juggernaut that is the Sony PlayStation and the potential juggernaut that is whatever Google possibly comes out with.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Next gen is gonna be very, very interesting. So many things up in the air.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my goodness oh my damn. Destiny and KH on switch. I cant even, I'm gonna go cry man tears now.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Maybe Reggie was so disgusted by this idea, he resigned.
Reggie was probably the one who started negotiations with Microsoft, or the one who was approached by Microsoft. NoA and Microsoft are basically next-door neighbors.

Edit: Phil Spencer's probably the one who started this, and Reggie just went along for the ride. Phil is really into the whole "we're all gamers" mantra, and Microsoft certainly won't mind that extra revenue.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I might not entirely understand this. Why buy an Xbox now if everything is gonna come to switch? I get the benefits too but how does this not make the Xbox tremendously less valuable?

Will they only allow very few games to be played on switch? What's the catch

Because you can play Halo at 4K/60 where the switch will be streamed versions of the game or a 360 level port.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I might not entirely understand this. Why buy an Xbox now if everything is gonna come to switch? I get the benefits too but how does this not make the Xbox tremendously less valuable?

Will they only allow very few games to be played on switch? What's the catch

Theoretically in this scenario, Xbox is moving away from their specific hardware being required to play their games in some form. You'd be able to play on PC, Xbox, or Switch. The reason someone might still want to buy an Xbox is due to specs. Something like Halo Infinite isn't gonna be on the Switch Natively, it would be through Xcloud. So if you want the "best" experience you'd want to buy either the xbox or invest in a PC with windows to get the best experience. MS awhile back was talking about options for next-gen and this sort of push to them is all about getting you into the ecosystem one way or another.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
First one to Netflix for games wins. This is a huge part of that if it happens.
Dunno if I would call that "winning", going from receiving something like $50 per game sale, to receiving like $10-15 per month per user for all games. Unless most people owning Xbox Ones buy only one game a year or something.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's strange.

Anyway, I just leave this here → https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ion-announced-for-switch-in-japan-only.43805/ (Resident Evil 7 Cloud Version Announced for Switch). There's even a mod post about toxic comments.

So you're believer now :) Because not so long ago you said this :

After trying Google's cloud application for AC Odyssey ? Definitely. Also, nice try with your "not too long ago" posts that are one year old. Better luck next time.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I believe it. It's a huge benefit to both companies.

Indeed.

This give to Nintendo the online infrastructure they never had and the future of gaming with Streaming.

To Microsoft it give them access the Japan, a market where they can't perform. And potentially sccess to Nintendo games for Gamepass and Xcloud ( it has to be or what's the point for them ).

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda shocked how much folks think this is true..... I really don't see this happening. I really don't. It helps....and hurts both companies. I think Nintendo sees themselves in a strong position right now, why would they show that they need a boost from a competitor? Yeah, I get the potential symbiotic relationship here....but it just doens't jive with the Nintendo mindset.

Not buying this.

NathanDrake is the one who is reporting it. He's a mod here and is a known insider.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hold up though, the Switch's wifi kinda sucks though? How is it realistically going to stream effectively without a horrendous amount of input lag. I want to believe.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Kinda shocked how much folks think this is true..... I really don't see this happening. I really don't. It helps....and hurts both companies. I think Nintendo sees themselves in a strong position right now, why would they show that they need a boost from a competitor? Yeah, I get the potential symbiotic relationship here....but it just doens't jive with the Nintendo mindset.

Not buying this.

Microsoft and Nintendo are not direct competitors in the way Sony and Microsoft are; Microsoft cares a lot more about competing with the PS4 (more the PS5 now tbh) and Nintendo is doing their own thing. A partnership like this would allow both firms to benefit greatly with any potential downsides being negligible.
I had the same reaction, but on second thought, if this turns out to be true, Nintendo would almost certainly be getting a cut of Switch game pass revenue. There'd be no such model for Steam Link.

Even if they weren't a potential "Switch Game Pass" service would be curated to hell and back. Steam Link has no curation and even allows you to play non-steam Apps so there's no way Nintendo would allow it on their platform.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. And you will play Breath of the Wild in 4K 60fps on the Xbox Next...

Nintendo won't allow to stream their games through MS services. Also why it would be better? It's a stream of a existing game and not some magical free enhancement.

Yeah, that's strange.

Anyway, I just leave this here → https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ion-announced-for-switch-in-japan-only.43805/ (Resident Evil 7 Cloud Version Announced for Switch). There's even a mod post about toxic comments.

So you're believer now :) Because not so long ago you said this :

I was actually thinking of RE7 when I made that comment.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They quite literally are. You can see Microsoft from NOA's office widows
Source: Me, while working there

It is interesting that two of the biggest gaming companies likely eat dinner at the same resturants, use the same library and kids go to the same schools. It does make sense that they would have eventually collaborated on something after some drinks at the local Ram restaurant.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reggie was probably the one who started negotiations with Microsoft, or the one who was approached by Microsoft. NoA and Microsoft are basically next-door neighbors.

I've been to Microsoft's and Nintendo's campuses in Redmond. Like you said Reggie was probably part of this. He doesn't care for petty console war shit

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
As a Game Pass subscriber with a Switch, I'd love this.

If Nintendo are going to give MS this much access to the Switch they should just ask them if they can use XBL to replace Nintendo's garbage online.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

Not buying this.
Don't see how it hurts Nintendo in any way.

Surely they'd get a cut from the Game Pass subscriptions (why do it if not), and Microsoft gets a whole new audience subscribing to Game Pass which is surely where Microsoft is looking to push over just new hardware sales for themselves.

Microsoft already started bringing all their XB1 exclusives to PC which potentially cuts down on their XB1 console sales, so clearly their services are where their focus is moving.

It's just like a few years ago when the new CEO came in and started moving Microsoft to a service driven company and we saw Office come to IOS and Android for free, as long as you have an O365 subscription.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see MS even attempting this until after the start of next-gen. What would be the purpose of scarlet?

what is this logic though. Gamepass on Switch makes next gen console useless? What?

•Microsoft makes shit loads of money by expanding gamepass and testing game streaming on the Switch (a precursor to wanting to stream games to any smart device).
•Microsoft makes a fuck load of money from subscribers
•Microsoft expand their market share in the cloud gaming area
•Microsoft continues their brand strategy of "ease of use" i.e. adaptive controller

Doing next gen console still benefits people who live in datacapped areas, poor internet connection areas, and the millions of people who like coming home and playing games at 4k that can't possibly run on the switch yet.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
With the battalion of data centers Microsoft has around the world and how they are constantly and fast evolving as a cloud streaming corporation every year, Switch owners are going to be eating good.