• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I simply don't buy the story that they entertained coming back at to MS at all.

We already know that Bungie considered partnering with Microsoft over Activision but Microsoft wanted the IP (after initial talks with Activision brought red flags). There's a lot of smoke to these talks happening (but nothing coming from them). From multiple independent sources too.

And they left MS to both pursue independence, IP ownership as well as to get away from Halo. That Destiny and Halo are similar is an irrelevant fact. From a commercial risk perspective, any AAA third party publisher investing $500 million in a new IP franchise from an independent developer who intends to keep IP ownership rights isn't going to want Bungie to deviate from their core strengths as a studio... you simply don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars hiring the Halo guys to make a JRPG. Any exec who considers something this foolish would never work in the industry again.

Ehhh, you can believe that. I don't. They were working on Destiny when they were under Microsoft (technically, though they may have had announced their independence by that point but no deal was made with a publisher). I don't think the issue was ever working on Halo and there's nothing indicating that was the case. It seemed very obvious it was all about IP ownership and independence.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
No my guy. Jeff was the one offended.
I don't recall Jeff being "offended," just suggesting that video game companies probably wouldn't make major announcements on 9/11 (which ended up being true!) and then when Sony announced the PS5 event on Saturday the 12th, suggesting that they announced it at the odd time because they didn't want to announce it on 9/11. I don't know where the whole "lol Jeff so offended" thing came from. If anything, some of his comments were a little flippant toward the day.

But this is sort of off-topic.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I don't recall Jeff being "offended," just suggesting that video game companies probably wouldn't make major announcements on 9/11 (which ended up being true!) and then when Sony announced the PS5 event on Saturday the 12th, suggesting that they announced it at the odd time because they didn't want to announce it on 9/11. I don't know where the whole "lol Jeff so offended" thing came from. If anything, some of his comments were a little flippant toward the day.

Yeah you're going way too in depth in this response for what I was saying. I was correcting that guy who was misreading it that Jeff offended someone else for posting gaming news.

I couldn't care less about either side.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
We already know that Bungie considered partnering with Microsoft over Activision but Microsoft wanted the IP (after initial talks with Activision brought red flags). There's a lot of smoke to these talks happening (but nothing coming from them).

Ina publisher-developer capacity, not in a owner-subsidiary capacity. Bungie bought out their freedom from MS for good reason. And a huge part of that was wanting to get away from making nothing but Halo.

Ehhh, you can believe that. I don't. They were working on Destiny when they were under Microsoft (technically, though they may have had announced their independence by that point but no deal was made with a publisher). I don't think the issue was ever working on Halo and there's nothing indicating that was the case. It seemed very obvious it was all about IP ownership and independence.

The bolded proves my point and undermines your entire argument. How can you rationally argue against Bungie not wanting to make Halo when they were working on a non-Halo game while in MS which was the impetus that drove them to split from MS? Seems a little intellectually dishonest to try to argue that.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Bungie have never been able to please the community with enough content, and it hasn't just begun with them going solo. They also said at the beginning of this year that the content in comparison to the previous years would be a bit less yeah, as they are on their own now. This isn't something they're hiding. Also "fan demands" lmao

I never said it did. The point is that the amount of content has dropped off drastically in comparison to what they were delivering when they were with Activision. This can easily be seen in the amount of raids we've seen in the last year. 1 whereas when they were with Activision we got 2-3 raids per year. They're struggling solo.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
1000% this

If you think marketing == publishing then boy...I uhh don't really know what to say. You should read up on some stuff.
If you think me saying really not that independent of publishers == me saying totally dependent on publishers or that Microsoft is buying Bungie then boy...I uhh don't really know what to say. You should read up on some stuff.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Ina publisher-developer capacity, not in a owner-subsidiary capacity. Bungie bought out their freedom from MS for good reason. And a huge part of that was wanting to get away from making nothing but Halo.

For good reason? Lol

Yeah. For IP ownership and independence. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The bolded proves my point and undermines your entire argument. How can you rationally argue against Bungie not wanting to make Halo when they were working on a non-Halo game while in MS which was the impetus that drove them to split from MS? Seems a little intellectually dishonest to try to argue that.

Lol.... try again. How can you rationally argue that Microsoft was forcing them to work only on Halo if they were working on Destiny while under Microsoft? Want to talk about intellectual dishonesty?

Also... maybe they knew they were going independent and knew they wouldn't have Halo?

My point was that Microsoft allowed them to work on Destiny either way. It's been a long time, but I believe Jason Jones was working on Destiny for years while under Microsoft If I recall correctly.

It comes down to this: I have never seen anything from Bungie indicating that they left to stop working on Halo. I've seen assumptions from the internet, but every time someone from Bungie acknowledged reasons (that I've seen), it's been all about independence and IP ownership. Couple that with how close Destiny is to Halo - by your own admission, it's basically Halo GaaS - and there's no proof there that I see as that being a reason for the split.

I'll bring up Marty again because he was a core Bungie member and leader - he's expressed desire to return to composing Halo. He hasn't been asked to though. And to my point, if Microsoft would just switch Bungie to Halo then there's no way Microsoft wouldn't have asked Marty to compose a Halo game when he left Bungie. But they apparently never did.

Heck, you'd think Microsoft would have had Joe Staten work on Halo a lot sooner than he did (he just now joined 343i's leadership team). Instead, Staten was doing his own thing at Microsoft (for years), despite his crucial role in making Halo what it was.

Last edited:

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No my guy. Jeff was the one offended.

Where did this even come from? I'm actually curious. Because I've seen multiple people say this, and I definitely never said I was offended by anyone doing anything on Friday or Saturday.

Edit: Nevermind.

Yeah you're going way too in depth in this response for what I was saying. I was correcting that guy who was misreading it that Jeff offended someone else for posting gaming news.

I couldn't care less about either side.

Jul 25, 2020
Goal post moving. It's all the same shit and it's all for the same reason to get people into their ecosystem.

fcd.jpg

So this last generation Sony acquired Insomniac Games. Gaikai in 2012, Sucker Punch in 2011 but the ones before that were like 2007? So not including the audio company you're talking 3 in 13 years.

Microsoft have bought 7 in 2 years with supposedly two more acquired but not yet announced. Pretty big goal posts there.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I never said it did. The point is that the amount of content has dropped off drastically in comparison to what they were delivering when they were with Activision. This can easily be seen in the amount of raids we've seen in the last year. 1 whereas when they were with Activision we got 2-3 raids per year. They're struggling solo.

This is a strange thing to use as an example. Aside from simply not being true, it doesn't take into account important factors in the years where there were multiple raids.

Destiny Year 1: 2 raids
Destiny Year 2: 1 raid
Destiny Year 3: 1 raid
Destiny 2 Year 1: 3 raids (1 regular raid / 2 "raid lairs")
Destiny 2 Year 2: 2 raids
Destiny 2 Year 3: 1 raid

The original Destiny lasted three years. Only one of those years had more than 1 raid, so saying "when they were with Activision, we got 2-3 raids per year" is literally wrong. And it's important to take into account that in that multiple-raid year, the second raid (Crota's End) was much shorter and widely looked at as being inferior to the previous raid (Vault of Glass).

If you want to just look at Destiny 2, there's a reason why Bungie went out of their way to label the other two Leviathan raids as "raid lairs." Much like Crota's End, these are not full-fledged Raids on the level of Vault of Glass, King's Fall, the original Leviathan or Last Wish. T hey are shorter, easier and don't take as much development time and reaction to them was mixed.

Either way, there isn't enough of a pattern here to use it as an example of them "struggling solo." Content has not dropped off "drastically." That's hyperbolic.

It also ignores the fact that while there was "only" one raid this most recent year, there were two dungeons released. This isn't something you can look at from a black or white "only 1 raid this year!" point of view to prove some sort of point. It's more nuanced than that.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about Destiny/Bungie specifically that causes nearly every single thread about them to be a complete dumpster fire?

Does this happen in Warframe/Digital Extremes threads?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope this doesn't happen it would be a bad thing. I hope bungie doesn't
They wont - the inconvenient truth is that XBOX needs Bungie more than the other way around. They have the nous, know-how and the perfect product for the type of platform XBOX wants to be. They sit on the Gaas throne for a reason - their special sauce has yet to be replicated.

Last edited:

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Where did this even come from? I'm actually curious. Because I've seen multiple people say this, and I definitely never said I was offended by anyone doing anything on Friday or Saturday.

Yeah I was just using the wording used by the guy I was responding to. I know nothing about it really other than that people were posting your tweet in some other thread and whining about it.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018

You made a tweet about how quick can one hype videogames after 9/11 regarding sony putting out news early next day. But people here started saying it was hypocritical of you as you yourself didnt mind doing the "MS/xbox is spending a lot of money on something not acquisition related" news on 9/11 in your podcast itself.

Thats basically the story here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would say: Sure when you apologize for offending everyone reporting video game news a day after 9/11 but I don't need to apologize for my comment you have done nothing but prove that statement correct. Also you viciously attacked me for that comment back when I made it, I ignored it as I don't argue with incompetent people.
This ain't it chief

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
fcd.jpg

So this last generation Sony acquired Insomniac Games. Gaikai in 2012, Sucker Punch in 2011 but the ones before that were like 2007? So not including the audio company you're talking 3 in 13 years.

Microsoft have bought 7 in 2 years with supposedly two more acquired but not yet announced. Pretty big goal posts there.

That's just a testament to how far they were behind in 1-party studios TBH

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Don't really see how it's a win for Bungie beyond financial security. They have two IPs they're working on right now, I don't know how happy they'd be to be back working on a series they left behind to do other things.

It's really a question for Bungie. They created Halo and I'm sure they still love it. That is their baby. If they want to make another Halo game, and they might, it would be a big win. Especially seeing the franchise in decline. If they do not want to make Halo, that is fine. Still a win for Microsoft as they are a really talented bunch.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I simply don't buy the story that they entertained coming back at to MS at all.

And they left MS to both pursue independence, IP ownership as well as to get away from Halo. That Destiny and Halo are similar is an irrelevant fact. From a commercial risk perspective, any AAA third party publisher investing $500 million in a new IP franchise from an independent developer who intends to keep IP ownership rights isn't going to want Bungie to deviate from their core strengths as a studio... you simply don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars hiring the Halo guys to make a JRPG. Any exec who considers something this foolish would never work in the industry again.

Not seeing how this differs all that much from the direction 343i was taking the franchise. This is what modern FPS's are now. Regardless, this there is no way for you to prescriptively know what a new MS-owned Bungie-made Halo would look like. So this is merely useless conjecture.

Destiny is already on the Xbox platform. It loses most of it's value by cutting out it's single largest platform (Playstation). And MS buying Bungie to keep Destiny MP makes no sense, because if the franchise was so profitable for Bungie that the studio would justify the multi-billion dollar price tag MS would have to pay, Bungie wouldn't even need to sell in the first place. The fact Bungie is trying to secure funding tells you that Destiny is not the most valuable part of any Bungie acquisition. Not even close.

I think the chances of Microsoft buying Bungie to make Halo are basically zero. Goes completely against the philosophy that Spencer and Booty have been aiming for with their studio acquisitions, offering creative control and the ability to return to independence if the studio wishes. Plus, it would mean pulling the plug on everything 343 have been doing these past few years in updating the engine, flushing 10s of millions of dollars down the drain. And what would they do with Infinite? Just can it and let a Bungie start from scratch?

This makes no sense.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
If anything I would like to see Bungie acquired by Playstation and drink from the the SIE first-party studio magic development pipeline chalice. They've been everywhere else already.

But I'm sure they value their independence. It's part of their plan for world domination, after all.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see Nintendo buying Bungie and make them work on Metroid for the reactions alone.

Jul 25, 2020

So just one?

Like half of Sony's studios were acquired.

Yes over a 26 year period. Not the aggressive rate at which Microsoft are acquiring studios. That's the point I'm trying to make.

That's just a testament to how far they were behind in 1-party studios TBH

And that's very true, it's clearly a long term solution and not a quick win. I expect to see a few more acquired yet but if they grow too much too fast they'll have to scale their games in scope to fit. It would be difficult to release 16+ AAA games over a 2 year period and have them all be very successful. I imagine they'll stick to using double fine for game pass and more fun content.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Makes total sense especially considering exclusive IPs that Sony has over Microsoft so far and making one of their most iconic franchises ever. I'd love it, but considering that Bungie left Xbox's exclusivity before find it hard to see them going back.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
If anything I would like to see Bungie acquired by Playstation and drink from the the SIE first-party studio magic development pipeline chalice. They've been everywhere else already.

But I'm sure they value their independence. It's part of their plan for world domination, after all.
Because being acquired by a company automatically means their games get better.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

no that would be worse

sony would cut off every platform besides Ps

ms would def allow destiny to be multiplatform if the purchased bungie. Like minecraft

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bungie would sell to someone if they needed to or the owners wanted to call it a day, retire but they don't yet. I think it's simple as that.

dotnetguy

Jul 12, 2020
The lack of detail in the denial (there was no reply to the reporter's tweet below) makes me question it just a little.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You made a tweet about how quick can one hype videogames after 9/11 regarding sony putting out news early next day. But people here started saying it was hypocritical of you as you yourself didnt mind doing the "MS/xbox is spending a lot of money on something not acquisition related" news on 9/11 in your podcast itself.

Thats basically the story here.

That's really wild stuff. I wasn't saying Sony was being insensitive or that I was offended. It was a joke (barely -- more an observation) that they seemed to pick the earliest possible time slot after 9/11 to make the announcement. There was zero criticism of Sony there. If I was in charge of a corporation, I would have done the same thing.