• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Not disagreeing with you, but unless they are with the exact same team, problems during development of a game that was released 16 years ago isn't a proof of a studio being a mess.
Can't say about Destiny 1 and 2 tho, no idea how the development went for these games.
Not great, Destiny 1 changed a lot and caused a lot of old staff to leave.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Indeed. Always trust those in power / at the tops of organizations, they would never lie and only have our best interests at heart.
Not saying that. Just saying that a CEO is a more credible source than "insiders" and that we should wait to trust them over a credible source until we see or hear something substantial.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the "false" part is that they've fallen through each time because of the high price. I'm sure a deal this complicated had several issues.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe the thread title should be updated to reflect the denial by Bungie.

Or it could be updated to reflect the four other corroborating sources, including two in this thread.

This is what an actual denial from Bungie would look like:

"Bungie has not been engaged in acquisition discussions with Microsoft."

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean, I really don't know that I believe this. Bungie didn't work to go independent just to go back to being owned by the same company that would turn them into the Halo factory again.

I do imagine they've had talks about bringing exclusive content / reverse Destiny deals to Xbox though.
They wouldn't be a halo factory, Destiny is more successful than halo and has been more relevant than halo. Judging by the games played on their own service the last 4 years at least.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, t wouldn't be the first time a Bungie exec lied or said something that was a bit misleading. *looks at the Marty lawsuit.*

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
We really need to stop putting our faith in insiders because 9 times out of 10 it leads to disappointment and getting burnt. I'm not going to believe this until it's a little more supported.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That Bungie is even entertaining the talks says leagues about how Microsoft manages their studios. A subsidiary that breaks off generally doesn't entertain the thought of going back to an abusive parent. And given that Microsoft has seemingly solved Bungies past Gripes by making dedicated studios for IPs so that the devs that want to can do other things. Its not all that bad of a deal given how things stand.

That said, it looks like Cost is going to be the big thing for now keeping the two apart.

In an hypothetical scenario that Bungie returns to Microsoft, does Halo return to them? Fusion with 343?
No, there is benefit in Microsoft keeping 343i separate. If you have powerhouse IPs, and a tonne of Talent; you need to spawn off separate Studios/teams whose sole job is that IP. That way you get a team whose every thought will be that IP, full of people passionate about that IP... and your Talent is more likely to stay in-house because they wont feel shackled to a specific project. Because If they want to work on GoW/Halo/ect they get a transfer to that studio. If they no longer want to do that, they transfer out to another studio in-house.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
Sony doing the same thing. It's a business, not like it's a hostile takeover

Pretty drastic difference between the steady rate of studios over time that have mainly worked for Sony Vs third party Devs with multiple console experience and the aggressive rate at which Microsoft is expanding. Sony aren't doing the same thing. There is a difference.

Also didn't Bungie fight to break away from Microsoft? Why go back?

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we ban Jeff Grubb as source already?

Did you ever apologize for this?

I blame social media for these clout chasers. It used to be they would just post in a forum like this, but we smell bullshit a mile away, but when it's done on social media we loose our brains and discuss the shit as if there is proof of what ever their claiming. The worst kind are the ones that make accounts here, get a little notoriety, then suddenly their big shit on social media and the clout chasing begins. Fame is s hell of a drug.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
If for some reason this happened, I would imagine MS would treat Destiny like Minecraft and keep it on all platforms. Nothing else would make sense financially. Any new IP, especially if it wasn't GAAS, would probably be PC and Xbox only. I could live with that. I would be against taking Destiny off of existing platforms. That would totally suck for the fan base and be anti-consumer.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty drastic difference between the steady rate of studios over time that have mainly worked for Sony Vs third party Devs with multiple console experience and the aggressive rate at which Microsoft is expanding. Sony aren't doing the same thing. There is a difference.

Also didn't Bungie fight to break away from Microsoft? Why go back?

Goal post moving. It's all the same shit and it's all for the same reason to get people into their ecosystem.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
We really need to stop putting our faith in insiders because 9 times out of 10 it leads to disappointment and getting burnt.

It really doesn't, unless you believe every single fake idiot who comes along on Twitter.

Which is why putting insiders all together in a bucket never makes sense. Judge people by their record, just like you would any source. It doesn't make sense to say "we should never trust any insiders because some of them are often wrong."

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie got Netease money, something like 100 million dolllars iirc? Why would they need funds or want to be acquired?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
MS would just put Bungie on making Halo for the rest of their existence; especially since 343i has made such a pig's ear of the franchise.

I'm not seeing why Bungie would want this (if they wanted to be bought they would have sold to ActiBlizzard). And I can see the only reason MS wanting this is to save the Halo franchise from it's current race towards obscurity in the hands of 343i.

Bungie got Netease money, something like 100 million dolllars iirc? Why would they need funds...

Er... that's enough for like one AAA game these days. They've more than likely burned through that already. They're a huge (700+ person) studio.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member
Did you ever apologize for this?
I would say: Sure when you apologize for offending everyone reporting video game news a day after 9/11 but I don't need to apologize for my comment you have done nothing but prove that statement correct. Also you viciously attacked me for that comment back when I made it, I ignored it as I don't argue with incompetent people.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I would say: Sure when you apologize for offending everyone reporting video game news a day after 9/11 but I don't need to apologize for my comment you have done nothing but prove that statement correct. Also you viciously attacked me for that comment back when I made it, I ignored it as I don't argue with incompetent people.
yikes.

(also, this probably should go without saying, but i went back and read his reply to you for that comment and nothing in it could be described as a "vicious attack")

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
MS would just put Bungie on making Halo for the rest of their existence; especially since 343i has made such a pig's ear of the franchise.

No they wouldn't. Bungie would do what they wanted.

I'm not seeing why Bungie would want this (if they wanted to be bought they would have sold to ActiBlizzard). And I can see the only reason MS wanting this is to save the Halo franchise from it's current race towards obscurity in the hands of 343i.

According to Marty, Bungie hated Activision's handling of Destiny from the start. They even considered going back to Microsoft but Microsoft wanted to own the Destiny IP which was a non-starter. Microsoft and Bungie were never on bad terms.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
This sounds like when I'm shooting the shit with my buddy and I ask if he wants to sell his company to me. He responds my writing a hilarious crazy price on a napkin and says it's his asking price. Like it's a joke on both sides and we know even if I would pay the price on said napkin, he still wouldn't sell it to me.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That Bungie is even entertaining the talks says leagues about how Microsoft manages their studios. A subsidiary that breaks off generally doesn't entertain the thought of going back to an abusive parent. And given that Microsoft has seemingly solved Bungies past Gripes by making dedicated studios for IPs so that the devs that want to can do other things. Its not all that bad of a deal given how things stand.

That said, it looks like Cost is going to be the big thing for now keeping the two apart.

No, there is benefit in Microsoft keeping 343i separate. If you have powerhouse IPs, and a tonne of Talent; you need to spawn off separate Studios/teams whose sole job is that IP. That way you get a team whose every thought will be that IP, full of people passionate about that IP... and your Talent is more likely to stay in-house because they wont feel shackled to a specific project. Because If they want to work on GoW/Halo/ect they get a transfer to that studio. If they no longer want to do that, they transfer out to another studio in-house.
They may have learned the grass isn't always greener

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
It really doesn't, unless you believe every single fake idiot who comes along on Twitter.

Which is why putting insiders all together in a bucket never makes sense. Judge people by their record, just like you would any source. It doesn't make sense to say "we should never trust any insiders because some of them are often wrong."
I have looked up records and seen who people say is credible. I've done all of that. I've still seen, time and time again, people, especially on this forum, get burnt from trusting them. Even the best have spotty records. Then, when people say that they got stuff wrong and that they're not going to trust insiders just so that they don't get burnt, they get jumped on. I'm not trying to say those people are evil. I'm just saying that, even being careful, there are plenty of times when we've gotten burnt so I'm not going to trust them. That's not antagonistic at all, it's just a careful, conservative take.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I hope we never go back to exclusive destiny content. As someone who played that game on xbox one, it really sucked.
1000% this

Articles about the very troubled development of both Destiny 1 and 2 and the inability to make big content updates without Vicarious Visions and other studios. Actually they now have a marketing deal with Microsoft, so they really are not that independent of big publishers.
If you think marketing == publishing then boy...I uhh don't really know what to say. You should read up on some stuff.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
it's hilarious to see how eager people are to swallow up whatever some CEO is saying on social media

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
No they wouldn't. Bungie would do what they wanted.

Sure they would /s

Halo is MS's most important franchise by a country mile. Bungie is the studio that created it. While 343i has been floundering in their attempts to continue the franchise, Bungie has been praised for their efforts on the Destiny franchise (which is essentially Halo GaaS edition).

There is no possible reality that MS forks out the billions of dollars it would cost to buy Bungie for them not to not work on reviving the Halo franchise. None.

According to Marty, Bungie hated Activision's handling of Destiny from the start. They even considered going back to Microsoft but Microsoft wanted to own the Destiny IP which was a non-starter. Microsoft and Bungie were never on bad terms.

Bungie left MS because they didn't want to be stuck working on Halo forever. No one has ever suggested they were on bad terms. Rather they simply don't want to work on Halo anymore.

What year is it? It's not 2005 anymore

You're being quite naive if you think MS will buy Bungie for anything other than reviving Halo. You don't spend billions on the developer who created Halo only to let the pursue some unproven AAA new IP that may or may not provide return on investment, meanwhile your existing dedicated Halo house continues to run the franchise into the ground.

MS buying any other dev would be for new IP. MS buying Bungie would be for Halo... period. The only exception would be if the Halo IP were so damaged it became basically unsalvageable; which isn't a remotely realistic possibility.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Sure they would /s

Halo is MS's most important franchise by a country mile. Bungie is the studio that created it. While 343i has been floundering in their attempts to continue the franchise, Bungie has been praised for their efforts on the Destiny franchise (which is essentially Halo GaaS edition).

There is no possible reality that MS forks out the billions of dollars it would cost to buy Bungie for them not to not work on reviving the Halo franchise. None.

So Bungie left Microsoft to leave Halo, as you say, but is now entertaining coming back to be forced to work on Halo again? Right. Lol

If they would do anything close to that, it would be getting Bungie employees over to 343 and having Bungie maintain Destiny or create a new IP. 343i is the Halo studio now. That wouldn't change with Bungie coming back.

Bungie left MS because they didn't want to be stuck working on Halo forever. No one has ever suggested they were on bad terms. Rather they simply don't want to work on Halo anymore.

Not quite. They left because they wanted IP ownership and independence. Have you tried comparing Halo and Destiny and have you noticed how similar they are? How Bungie committed to a 10 year deal with Activision right after? They just cared about owning the IP.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
it's hilarious to see how eager people are to swallow up whatever some CEO is saying on social media
It's equally strange to see the same happening with insiders tbh. I just hope that whatever is true will come out soon so that we can move on to focusing on the cool things Bungie has in store.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if I would trust a head honcho in the gaming industry about confirming/denying rumors but well respected journalists.
There have been many cases where these people had no problem to throw these reporters under the bus by lying about the
existence of a rported game, just so they can have their E3 moment a day or two later.

And stop being a pretentious prick about your CI on fucking twitter. Jesus...

P.S.: And as if a community manager would be part of any talks about an acqusation. Omega-Fucking-LUL

Last edited:

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
There should be a middle term for the conflicting versions.
Jez said that he heard from varios sources similar stories about MS in talks with bundige but at the end, that it won't be the case.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sure they would /s

You're being quite naive if you think MS will buy Bungie for anything other than reviving Halo. You don't spend billions on the developer who created Halo only to let the pursue some unproven AAA new IP that may or may not provide return on investment, meanwhile your existing dedicated Halo house continues to run the franchise into the ground.

MS buying any other dev would be for new IP. MS buying Bungie would be for Halo... period. The only exception would be if the Halo IP were so damaged it became basically unsalvageable; which isn't a remotely realistic possibility.
Phil plays more Destiny than Halo
Bungie hasn't made an arena shooter in 8 or 9 years.

you want them to Destinyfy Halo? Because that's what you would be getting.
Get ready for supers, ADS and all the sprinting.

but yeah they see Destiny is a successful platform and they want it under their umbrella. That's it. You act like Don Mattrick is still head of Xbox

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Well this rumor ain't going to help 343's morale, that's for sure.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
This is a weird take....

Was there people offended by him posting news a day after 9/11?

How many days after 9/11 are you allowed?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
So Bungie left Microsoft to leave Halo, as you say, but is now entertaining coming back to be forced to work on Halo again? Right. Lol

If they would do anything close to that, it would be getting Bungie employees over to 343 and having Bungie maintain Destiny or create a new IP. 343i is the Halo studio now. That wouldn't change with Bungie coming back.

Not quite. They left because they wanted IP ownership and independence. Have you tried comparing Halo and Destiny and have you noticed how similar they are? How Bungie committed to a 10 year deal with Activision right after? They just cared about owning the IP.

I simply don't buy the story that they entertained coming back at to MS at all.

And they left MS to both pursue independence, IP ownership as well as to get away from Halo. That Destiny and Halo are similar is an irrelevant fact. From a commercial risk perspective, any AAA third party publisher investing $500 million in a new IP franchise from an independent developer who intends to keep IP ownership rights isn't going to want Bungie to deviate from their core strengths as a studio... you simply don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars hiring the Halo guys to make a JRPG. Any exec who considers something this foolish would never work in the industry again.

Phil plays more Destiny than Halo
Bungie hasn't made an arena shooter in 8 or 9 years.

you want them to Destinyfy Halo? Because that's what you would be getting.
Get ready for supers, ADS and all the sprinting.

Not seeing how this differs all that much from the direction 343i was taking the franchise. This is what modern FPS's are now. Regardless, this there is no way for you to prescriptively know what a new MS-owned Bungie-made Halo would look like. So this is merely useless conjecture.

but yeah they see Destiny is a successful platform and they want it under their umbrella. That's it. You act like Don Mattrick is still head of Xbox

Destiny is already on the Xbox platform. It loses most of it's value by cutting out it's single largest platform (Playstation). And MS buying Bungie to keep Destiny MP makes no sense, because if the franchise was so profitable for Bungie that the studio would justify the multi-billion dollar price tag MS would have to pay, Bungie wouldn't even need to sell in the first place. The fact Bungie is trying to secure funding tells you that Destiny is not the most valuable part of any Bungie acquisition. Not even close.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why the threadmarked post is the one with someone posting the tweet and saying "aaaaand thread locked" when they weren't even the first person to post that tweet which had been discussed for like a page at that point

but whatever

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Why are their so many comments taking about it happening in response to a story about how it didn't happen?

Ive seen nothing that's indicated it is likely to happen.