• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Not an adaptation of the classic videogame.

Following this tweet insiders started doing insider things and were posting KOTOR gifs.. which led to the potential leak:

The people at Lucasfilm wanted a hiatus from annual film releases in order to be able to ensure that each project that they work on has the right amount of time in development, and they want to make sure that they don't have to rush things to make specific deadlines. Because of this, there is word that they are currently contemplating and are very close to pushing Rogue Squadron to some point in 2024. (No word on what this might mean for the currently-scheduled Avatar 3, which is slated to release that December.)

However, the current December 22, 2023 release date is still set to be filled by a new project. Thankfully, Lucasfilm have been clandestinely working on several projects as part of their theatrical and streaming slates, and word is that one that could take Rogue Squadron's current date is a story set in the days of the Old Republic.

www.starwarsnewsnet.com

'Old Republic' May Hit Theaters In 2023 - Star Wars News Net

Lucasfilm is reportedly working on an Old Republic Star Wars movie for 2023 while they think of pushing Rogue Squadron back to 2024.

More details from Jordan Maison (who has a pretty solid track record):

Could be a announcement next week at D+ day or D23.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Seems weird to do an Old Republic story and not have it be an adaptation whatsoever of KOTOR. I'd hope it's involved somewhat in it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a positive if they are taking their time to get right.

Not really into Star Wars at the moment but an old republic or in the future with no strings, I'm down for that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another prequel? :/

I was looking forward to Rogue Squadron because it's set after the sequel trilogy

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What is going on?

If this is true, they are shooting a film we haven't heard anything about and delaying the only film that seemed to have been further along in production (that I recall hearing about, though I could be wrong)? This isn't Rian Johnson's trilogy?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It was great and all but I dunno, the twist is known.

I don't mean it that way, so much as I'd imagine it'd have to have SOME linkage with KOTOR, otherwise what's the point? It could be super minor, like HK showing up as a cameo or something. When they already have the High Republic why go Old Republic if you're not going to bring any part of KOTOR along?

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
This news tells me that the inevitable next gen Rogue Squadron video game reboot that they're clearly making to tie into the movie release is ALSO being delayed

Jokes aside I wouldn't mind an Old Republic movie first

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Star Wars in a prehistoric like setting.

LGp1SCb.png

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm praying this isn't a monkey paw situation with D&D helming it or something.

Otherwise, the Old Republic is a setting with a ton of potential, even if it's not a KOTOR adaptation.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean it that way, so much as I'd imagine it'd have to have SOME linkage with KOTOR, otherwise what's the point? It could be super minor, like HK showing up as a cameo or something. When they already have the High Republic why go Old Republic if you're not going to bring any part of KOTOR along?

Right but are Lucasarta still just picking random things or is KOTOR as a whole canon? The era is interesting for sure so I hope they do something with it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It was great and all but I dunno, the twist is known.

Only by a fairly small number of people. Maybe 3 million people played KOTOR. Movie audiences worldwide are in the hundreds of millions.

Hell, much of the MCU is adaptations of stories that have been around longer than most of us have been alive. That said, KOTOR is fine as a game. No need to cram it into a film.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not an adaptation of the classic videogame.

Following this tweet insiders started doing insider things and were posting KOTOR gifs.. which led to the potential leak:

www.starwarsnewsnet.com

'Old Republic' May Hit Theaters In 2023 - Star Wars News Net

Lucasfilm is reportedly working on an Old Republic Star Wars movie for 2023 while they think of pushing Rogue Squadron back to 2024.

More details from Jordan Maison (who has a pretty solid track record):

Could be a announcement next week at D+ day or D23.

would love to see a director attached and logo at least.

edit: that's right, rian had somethjng percolating?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
James Gunn has said many times that KOTOR is his favorite game ever. Wonder if that's something that could ever happen.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame the sequels have ruined interest in what would've been my preferred setting, the aftermath of the Galactic Civil War. Not really sure what the old republic has to offer outside of new (old lol) jedi/sith orders?

At this point I'd rather they recast the mains and reboot the sequel trilogy as the Thrawn Trilogy, which was actually an interesting examination of how the Empire might startegize as the new underdog against the New Republic. Instead the sequels skipped the New Republic entirely and just rehashed the rebels vs the Empire New Order smh.

So it's not Rouge Squadron or Taika's film for 2023?
I'm praying this isn't a monkey paw situation with D&D helming it or something.
I'm thankful as hell for D&D not touching anything fantastical after D&D dumbed down GRRM's setting for the Doritos munching dudebro crowd (I mean GoT makes sense as it devolved into "fantasy and pop culture medieval show but for dudebros"). I mean god forbid if KOTOR was remade into a series or something D: