• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
Did everyone miss the part in the beta where you get a weapon unlocked in the main game for reaching level 10? OF COURSE this was gonna happen

ara

Oct 26, 2017
None of this is surprising to me. I've likely had my fill of the MP and moved on by the time they introduce lootbox weapons, so this won't affect my purchase decision.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The goodwill is that they are making a new Modern Warfare game which their fans have been wanting for a while. They know the average gamer has the memory of a cabbage so simply showing off a modern setting is enough for people to forget the shitty MTXs of the previous several COD games. And the reason why they know they can slip them into this game as well.
I mean.

Yeah

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I have to ask this: what kind of """GOODWILL""" has Activision earned here?

By releasing a good...beta? lmfao this is Activision you should know better
the goodwill is that after some 8 years a lot of people in the community as well as Youtubers are getting the game they've wanted for a while. People are happy to finally have a boots on the ground/modern day shooter. I think a lot of people were also really not happy with Black Ops 4 and WW2 didn't really last very long in terms of interest.

the interesting thing will be what happens if this is actually true, because I've seen many influencers basically say they're done with cod if the MTX is as bad as BO4. BO4 got a lot of shit for basically monetizing almost every facet of the game.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This has convinced me to pass on buying this at launch.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

I'd be surprised if they didn't. Removing Season Passes was a albatross, they gonna double down on this.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
i spontaneously preordered on pc during the beta, I assume trying to get a refund is out the question right?

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Never played or paid attention to Black Ops 4 but how did Black Ops 4 handle this? Article doesn't go into too much detail other than what looks like a season pass gave you a crate upon leveling the pass.

Also, what kind of guns did they put in these crates in Black Ops 4? This boggles my mind that I never came across any news regarding this as it seems sketchy as hell.
Look up havelina and stingray. They're OP as fuck.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hadven't played a COD game since Black Ops 2 and was actually kind of looking forward to play a twitchy shooter, but this is shit if true and I'll pass. Thanks Activision

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
On the eve of countries looking to make lootboxes illegal, Activision doubles down on them.

Its a bold play Jim, lets see how it works out for them.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not at liberty to discuss this but the picture being painted here isn't accurate.

Isn't accurate because all the gross MTX they're talking about won't be in at launch and will just get added in later once journalists and message board posters have moved on?

Or isn't accurate because somehow this game won't be like every other Call of Duty released over the last 5 years?

You're going to have to be slightly more specific. Or find someone who is at liberty.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Activision are way way worse then EA but somehow EA seems to get all the media and attention.

I don't really know how they get away with it.
EA got the attention because they fucked with Star Wars. Ultimate Team is without a shadow of a doubt the scummiest microtransaction implementation the entire industry has ever seen, yet that also gets a fraction of the attention Battlefront 2 got.

Oct 25, 2017
Just like I feared. Just lost a sale from me. This was gonna be the first COD I bought since Blops 2 but I'm not supporting this.

Oct 25, 2017
Loot boxes are 100% confirmed, there's a section in the After Action Report for them (confirmed by NerosCinema at 1:05 of the video). Weapons being in them is part of that Twitter guy's leak, although he's been pretty accurate so far. They do have the ability to unlock weapons outside the leveling system as you get a shotgun in the full game for playing the beta enough, so it's very likely that they'll do it.

The question is: how long will it take for the microtransaction guns to arrive? The beta shotgun is probably going to loot boxes to people who didn't get to level 10 in the beta.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its shitty, but the games TTK is so low, and the maps are all still small enough, that you really don't need any weapon other than the first AR. I don't think there was one gun fight in the beta that made me think "I would have won it with a better gun". Who shoots first / better wins.

But yea, I already decided to skip it, despite thinking the beta was great, cause I assume they'll F it up, or players will find some goofy combo thats OP , ot kill streaks will ruin it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Beta reception was positive, they bought enough goodwill during the marketing, pre-orders through the roof, so now they just go FUCK IT, CRANK UP THE MOOLAH.

Ehh :/

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
But is it like weapon skins like CS:GO, or actual weapons you can get early by luck instead of leveling like normal?

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I said the second the maps were free the micro-transactions would be on another level. Maybe it won't be on another level (I suppose at this point they can't get any more egregious) but there was zero doubt they would still have them.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh decided just to cancel by preorder and see how it shakes out. Liked the beta enough but I can live without this kind of stuff again. Not hatin on those who do, just ain't for me.

Oct 25, 2017
But is it like weapon skins like CS:GO, or actual weapons you can get early by luck instead of leveling like normal?
Actual weapons and there is no getting them "early" by luck, it's just get them by luck. If you don't get lucky with a loot box, you will never get that gun unless you pick it up from someone. Some COD games had a currency system for loot box duplicates so you could buy your way to a new gun with enough duplicate items, but even then luck determines how fast you get that currency.

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Stop it. Crossplay, the beta, and the new engine had me hyped.

Stop killing my hype.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
The salvage system sucks, so it's hilarious that it could become even worse.

Playing MWR now, and the amount of time it takes to grind salvage just for one gun is ridiculous. CoD, more than any other franchise I play, is dripping with microtransactions (and gameplay-affecting MTX at that).